Question #10

If possible...
How do I get excel to change the color of a "grid" if I enter say
specfic letter or word in it.

Example.

800 columns by 800 rows
All columns and rows are small as possible
Each letter would mean something, and I would need the grid with tha
letter to be a specifc color.
To allow easy viewing of the information

V = red
R = grey
H = blue

So instead of filling in each color per grid myself, I would get exce
to auto-fill

Any help would be greatly appreciat

--
dirtytongu
dirtytongue's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3762

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

You could use conditional formatting for this. Select all 800 x 800
cells, then Format | Conditional Formatting, and in the panel that pops
up enter Cell Contents is equal to V, then click on Format and the
Patterns tab (for background colour), then click red and OK.

While the panel is still displayed, click Add for another condition and
set up R for grey in the same manner, then Add again and set up H for
blue. A final OK will get you out of the dialogue box, then you can try
it out.

Hope this helps.

Pete

dirtytongue wrote:
> If possible...
> How do I get excel to change the color of a "grid" if I enter say a
> specfic letter or word in it.
>
> Example.
>
> 800 columns by 800 rows
> All columns and rows are small as possible
> Each letter would mean something, and I would need the grid with that
> letter to be a specifc color.
> To allow easy viewing of the information
>
> V = red
> R = grey
> H = blue
>
> So instead of filling in each color per grid myself, I would get excel
> to auto-fill
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciate
>

> --
> dirtytongue
> dirtytongue's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=37629
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=572452

0
pashurst (2576)
8/17/2006 12:00:15 AM
Format|Conditional formatting sounds like a possibility.

Debra Dalgleish has some hints:
http://www.contextures.com/xlCondFormat01.html

dirtytongue wrote:

> If possible...
> How do I get excel to change the color of a "grid" if I enter say a
> specfic letter or word in it.
>
> Example.
>
> 800 columns by 800 rows
> All columns and rows are small as possible
> Each letter would mean something, and I would need the grid with that
> letter to be a specifc color.
> To allow easy viewing of the information
>
> V = red
> R = grey
> H = blue
>
> So instead of filling in each color per grid myself, I would get excel
> to auto-fill
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciate
>
> --
> dirtytongue
> dirtytongue's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=37629
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=572452

--

Dave Peterson
0

If any cell in a range is blank question
Hello. I have two sheets in a workbook. One is a Summary sheet, and the next is titled "Bldg 5". What I am trying to make sure is that the range A1:K20 on the Bldg 5 sheet has had data entered to them (ie, they are not blank). The question that corresponds to Summary sheet A1 is "Has the data for Bldg 5 been updated?" If ANY blank in Bldg 5's range A1: K20, then put a "NO" in Summary A1's cell. If ALL of the Bldg 5 range had data in it, then put a "YES" in Summary A1. I also need A1 to update as data is entered into the Bldg 5 range (a...

pswd question
On XP pro sp3, if I start->run and type control userpasswords2 then hit enter I get a UserAccts window, I then click the Advanced Tab, I then go down to the center of the window to the AdvancedUserManagement heading and then look to the right and click the Advanced button, I get another window called LocalUsersAndGroups, if I then click Users->MyAcctName I finally get a window that called MyAcctName Properties, if I look down to the center I see a check box (that is checked) beside a heading that says, "password never expires". Ok.......now I go to ControlPanel(ClassicV...

Pivot Table question #4
Hi I have spreadsheets that take data via a pivot table from an OLAP cube that is held on a terminal server. The spreadsheets hold figures entered by me and figures obtain from the pivot table. I want to enable the automatic update on the pivot table but the pivot table is sorted by a project number obtained from the OLAP cube. My problem is if a new project is added to the OLAP cube then it is automatically selected from the drop down list. I want to be able to turn this off so that it only selects the project I have previously chosed. For example if I have selected the filter nu...

Remote Server Question
Right customer wants to acces his win2k8 server remotely. IT is using a generic printer from the server. At the office the printer is on a network. Terminal Services are being used to access the server remotely. What needs to be done to get said printer working? -- Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca God, Queen and country! Never Satan President Republic! Beware AntiChrist rising! http://twitter.com/rootnl2k http://www.facebook.com/dyadallee UK Time for a Common Sense change vote Liberal Democrat / Alliance Whether "at the o...

x-y Line Graph question
I have a line graph. X is dates and Y is numeric data. I am plotting 12/1/2005 through 1/30/2006. The problems is my series does not start at the "left most" point of 12/1/2005, it is shifted slightly. And the line does not end at the "right most" point of 1/30/2006. Any ideas will be appreciated. thanks! XL has two distinct chart types even though they look similar, the XY Scatter chart and the Line chart. There is no XY Line graph. I believe you have a Line graph. Double-click the x-axis and from the Scale tab uncheck the 'Value (Y) axis crosses betwe...

AD Computer object question
Hello, I have computer object within Active Directory for a specific server. Due to an issue, the link between the two has been broken. Is there any way to recreate the link without delete the AD object and join back the server into the domain? Thanks for your help, It's a really urgent matter, please help Dark Hello darkbol, Which kind of machine is it, Domain controller or member server or workstation? What is the exact error message? Did something happened before or is it just out of the blue? Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is pro...

GP Extender Tables Question (GP9)
I have created an Extender window with 3 Fields (let’s just say price 1, price 2, price 3). I can see where it got created in table EXT40100, field User_Defined_Prompts_1 etc and I can also see where the data is stored in EXT00103. What I don’t see is where the prompts from EXT40100 are in its own rows so that you can link them to EXT00103 for reporting purposes. I know I can hard code the flags to their proper values in Crystal or set up my own custom table to do it but I would have thought that Extender will have a table like that. Am I just not seeing it? -- Pieter The prompts ...

Question on Formats...
This ought to be quite simple to answer. Is it possible to format the contents of a combobox? On sheet1 I have text in cells A1 to A8 e.g A1 = John, A2 = Steve, A3 = Claire etc. I have a combobox on a chart that displays those names when I click the down arrow. The default is lower case, black lettering. Can I make the names appear in bold and green for example? I have tried modifying the original names but that makes no difference. If I right click the combobox and select <Format Control> I cannot see a way to format my data entries. Maybe you can't do it. And I want to ...

Chart
Hello, I created a line column chart on 2 axis. I have four data sets. The first 3 should go on the primary Y axis as columns and the 4th should go on the secondary Y axis as a line. However, Excel wants to automatically put both the 3rd and 4th data sets on the secondary axis as lines. I cannot find any command to change the 3rd data set to go onto the primary axis as a column. Any suggestions would be most appreciated! -Patty On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 13:27:33 -0800, Patty = <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hello, > > I created a line column chart on 2 ...

[more of a 'c' question really] Converting doubles to strings without getting scientific notation
Hello hello.. I'm using _gcvt in a dialog to display a double, but when it gets small the string appears in scientific notation ie 0.02 become 2e-02 Is there another conversion routine I can use to prevent this? I have a not terribly scientific customer who would prefer a straight forward decimal display. Thanks "Zardoz" <thing@thing.thing> wrote in message news:122lvvkvicks85nka58iugok64ba0plpem@4ax.com... > Hello hello.. > > > I'm using _gcvt in a dialog to display a double, but when it gets > small the string appears in scientific notation ...

CRM v3.0 Questions
Hello, Is the fuctionality to unshare multiple records available in v3.0. The 1.2 documentation shows this functionality but it seems to be missing from the actual product. When you re-assign a record in v1.2 the record maintains a share relationship with the prior owner. Does v3.0 function the same way. Are there any tricks (other than using SCRIBE) when importing new records to link multiple contacts to a single lead. Has any new flexibilty been added to the Microsoft record importer. Thanks, Ron In 3.0 if you go to the settings > Organization Settings > System Settings th...

OL 2003; Question about two default attachments in HTMLMessage Format
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C51E85.7F26CCA0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_001_0010_01C51E85.7F26CCA0" ------=_NextPart_001_0010_01C51E85.7F26CCA0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Outlook 2003, XPP SP2=20 Hello, When I send an e-mail message in HTML message format, the recipient = (even when I send to myself) also receives two default attachments, = image001.png and image002.png. The first image is a what I would guess a = Microsoft ...

Rounding Up question
Hi, A1 has the ROUNDUP Function referenced to B1: ROUNDUP(B1,0). Example: B1 says: 6.2 A1 will roundup to 7. Perfect! This works 99% of the time. But in a special case B1 says 6.0 - A1 still rounds up to 7. I expanded B1 decimal places and found B1 in this case really says: 6.00044. Hence the reason for A1 rounding to 7. Is there anyway to tell the A1 ROUNDUP function to not round up when the first decimal place says zero? Or to only go out one decimal place when rounding up? Hope I worded my question that it can be understood. Thanx in advance, Amy. Hel...

Question about MFC source code.
Hi, all, I find that there are some redefinitions in afxHH.h. Something looks like this: #define HID_FILE_MRU_FILE1 0x1E110 #define HID_FILE_MRU_FILE1 0x1E111 // aliases: MRU_2 - MRU_16 #define HID_FILE_MRU_FILE1 0x1E112 #define HID_FILE_MRU_FILE1 0x1E113 #define HID_FILE_MRU_FILE1 0x1E114 #define HID_FILE_MRU_FILE1 0x1E115 #define HID_FILE_MRU_FILE1 0x1E116 #define HID_FILE_MRU_FILE1 0x1E117 #define HID_FILE_MRU_FIL...

List of questions
Hi, I have some questions in outlook 2003, can anyone help me? 1-how can i in the appointment type a subject with special format (red, bold..) 2-whent a task is 100% completed, how can be deleted automatically. 3- I need to filter only the available time on a specific day. ex if i have 2 appointments today on a specific time, what i need to see is the available time for other new appointments. 4-If I have a lot of appointments on a specific date that are colored with labels and have a specific show time as (busy,tentative), when i go to print this calendar with the "calendar detai...

Receiving duplicate emails 01-20-10
In Windows Live Mail I'm receiving the same emails over and over again. This only happens to my pop3 accounts in Windows Live. I've looked at the properties on both pop3 accounts and the "Leave message on server" box is unchecked. This problem just started within the past 36 hours. I delete the same ones when they come in each time but as the day goes on I'm receiving dozens and dozens of repeating emails as well new ones which then become repeaters. I've checked the emails on my server and they are not doubled or tripled, etc. HELP! Anyone have a solut...

Treeview Control Question
Hello, I am using a treeview Control in a form that has a tab control. The treeview control is located on one of the tabs. When the form loads it populates the treeview control(has checkboxes enabled on treeview), bolds certain text based on the SQL table it's pulling from, and then checks any items that were checked last time the record was saved. The problem that I am having is that when I move to another tab and go back to it, all of the bolds and checks are gone. I've tried redoing the query on tab control and page click actions as well as trying to set focus on the treeview ...

Easy formula question
=IF(D4>D5:D6:D7:D8:D9:D10:D11:D12:D13:D14:D15:D16,"Leader","---") :confused: I am trying to get a cell to say the word Leader if cell D4 is greate than the other cells in the list or if D4 is not greater than the cell in the list to say --- but obviously I have the formula above wron because it is not working. Help ASAP please!!!! Thanks in advance for any help with this, Mik -- mikeee ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mikeeee's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1461 View this thread: htt...

Excel question 12-29-09
I am working with a spreadsheet created by someone else. I cannot view rows 1-6 on the sheet, but they appear when I do a print preview. How do I make these rows appear? Maybe they are hidden. Select all cells (click on the top left corner of the sheet), Formats>Row>Unhide -- Regards! Stefi „racefan” ezt írta: > I am working with a spreadsheet created by someone else. I cannot view rows > 1-6 on the sheet, but they appear when I do a print preview. How do I make > these rows appear? Racefan, It appears as if there are two things going on here...

Fixed Assets GP 10 Security
I have added the Fixed Asset module to GP 10. I have added the FA_DEFAULT Role to users who will be using FA. When I go to Cards the Fixed Asset menu option does not appear. The only people who do see it are the Power Users. What step am I missing? Rich, FADEFULT_USER task will only provide access to set of FA lookups and few other options. You have to set security task for Users seperately for each window and other accesses by going to Security Tasks, Roles and then to Users -- Thanks Janakiram M.P. MCP-GP http://janakirammp.blogspot.com "Rich Wheeler" wrote: > I hav...

Access 2007 Questions
I upgraded to Access 2007 and now the buttons within my application does not work. Is there a setting that I can select to able the command buttons again? Thanks in advance, Jeff- By default, Access 2007 runs no code unless the database is trusted. The easiest way to do this for all your databases is to put them in a trusted folder. To set up a trusted folder, go to: Office Button | Access Options | Trust Center | Trust Center Settings More info about converting to Access 2007: http://allenbrowne.com/Access2007.html -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia ...

Asked before cannot find question or answer anymore "Caracter mess
When I am using Word I have no problem typing this caracter ? (question mark). however if I type this in OOUTLOOK, than it appears like this É or like this _ It has just done it lately, so I must have changed a setting unknowingly. Can someone please help to get the question mark ? back again... thank you. By the way this time I have checked the "Notify me of repies" Verify your keyboard language and layout settings in Regional and Language option in Control Panel. For more details see; http://www.msoutlook.info/question/16 -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, C...

Distribution List 12-10-09
I want to create a Distribution List based on only those contact that have a particular Catagory assigned to them. How do I do that? I had expected that I could do a FIND for the Catagory and then DRAG the matches to the Distribution list but that failed. There MUST be an easy way. Thanks Easier than you think. If you have created Categories already, you have no need to create a DL. Categories obviate the need for DL's and are far more robust and reliable. http://outlook-tips.net/archives/2003/20030730.htm -- Russ Valentine "LAMARTEK" <LAMARTEK@discuss...

disaster recovery question
We're running Exchange Server 2003 on Windows 2000 SP4 right now and I'm dreading the in-place upgrade to Windows Server 2003. Is it possible to rebuild the server with a clean Server 2003 install, re-install Exchange 2003 (same names for orgs, admin groups, stores, etc. same paths too). Then after it's all setup from a clean install, restore my info stores back? How do you think this would work? Any consequences I should be aware of? Sincerely, -- Brian Spooner, MCSE Network Engineer THe Swing method might come in handy here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/821896 On ...

Money Questions
Hi everyone. I've been using Microsoft Money for awhile, and I realized that there ar= e = alot of things about money that I do not understand. Eg. 1. What's the difference between reconciliation and cleared? What's the = = use of the flags anyway? 2. How do I clear multiple transactions in one go? 3. If there are differences in my Microsoft Money savings bank account, = = how do I handle it? Do I create a new transaction with a new 'missing = money' category? 4. Is there a way to choose what column gets displayed in the Account = Register view? I'd like the ...