Q: When 0 <> 0 ? #2

A: When you add it in excel!

Example: Place the following values in a column and sum them.

-116.33
98.53
17.80
0
=============
Excel returns: 0.0000000000000035527136788005

Correct Answer: 0

If you remove 0 from the list ( or put it in a different place in the
list, the proper result, 0 is returned.

I assume this has to do with the known floating point issues, but I've
never seen an example where 0<>0, so I thought I'd share.

I have a workaround, but would love to see comments...

0
splever (2)
10/27/2005 2:43:37 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

See http://tinyurl.com/7dp22

--

HTH

RP

<splever@gmail.com> wrote in message
> A: When you add it in excel!
>
> Example: Place the following values in a column and sum them.
>
> -116.33
> 98.53
> 17.80
> 0
> =============
> Excel returns: 0.0000000000000035527136788005
>
> Correct Answer: 0
>
> If you remove 0 from the list ( or put it in a different place in the
> list, the proper result, 0 is returned.
>
> I assume this has to do with the known floating point issues, but I've
> never seen an example where 0<>0, so I thought I'd share.
>
> I have a workaround, but would love to see comments...

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
10/27/2005 4:18:30 PM
Excel stores numbers in IEEE double precision floating point
format. Few numbers can be stored in this format EXACTLY. You are
normally working with approximations, an approximation of 15
significant digits. Most everything gets rounded. This is similar
to the situation in normal decimal arithmetic;  you can't store
1/3 EXACTLY as a decimal number with a finite number of decimal
places. No matter how far out you go, you're still approximating
the real value of 1/3.

You have the option of calculating with Precision As Displayed,
but this will affect all calculations. See
www.cpearson.com/excel/rounding.htm for more information.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

<splever@gmail.com> wrote in message
> A: When you add it in excel!
>
> Example: Place the following values in a column and sum them.
>
> -116.33
> 98.53
> 17.80
> 0
> =============
> Excel returns: 0.0000000000000035527136788005
>
> Correct Answer: 0
>
> If you remove 0 from the list ( or put it in a different place
> in the
> list, the proper result, 0 is returned.
>
> I assume this has to do with the known floating point issues,
> but I've
> never seen an example where 0<>0, so I thought I'd share.
>
> I have a workaround, but would love to see comments...

0
chip1 (1821)

parsing a date and time field #2

3.0 Customization
Is it possible in 3.0 to have one set of screens appear for one group of users and another set for another group. For instance, could our service people only see the service screens while our sales people only see the sales screens? I know I can restrict access to different areas, but we want to have a totally different look and feel for each group... Sorry - I dont believe this can be done "Matt Harvey" <rifleman@gmail.com> wrote in message news:OR2vU$3GGHA.740@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Is it possible in 3.0 to have one set of screens appear for one group of >...

Report CRM 3.0
Hi, I would need to find out the detailed procedure (step by step) to customize a report…. Could anybody inform about any links or documents concerning this issue? Thank's Marco I'm not sure if it's detailed enough, but the technical training manual has a section on creating and customizing reports. You can find it here: http://www.microsoft.com/businesssolutions/crm/using/whatsnewtechnical.mspx HTH, -- Jeffry van de Vuurst CWR Mobility www.cwrmobility.com -- "Marco Rocca" <Marco Rocca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CEF80683-EC26-456C-82C...

macro #2

Money Central Portfolio #2

Statements #2

merging 2 cells without losing data?

CRM 4.0 Custom Report Filter Problem

Macro

=?Utf-8?Q?Default_SMTP_virtual_server_=E2=80=9CCur?= =?Utf-8?Q?rent_Connections=E2=80=9D_Stuck?=
Hello, I have a Lanier email\scanner that will not send via the Exchange 2003 Default SMTP virtual server I can see the connection in the “Current Connections” but it just sit there and never sends. If I change the scanner to send to my old 5.5 server the messages send without a problem. Also other scanners on different subnets are working fine. I did some testing and this is where it gets stuck. 220 emailserver.domain.com Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service, Version: 6.0.3790.1830 ready at Tue, 12 Sep 2006 23:03:05 -0400 MAIL FROM:Administrator@domain.com 503 5.5.2 Send hello first Tha...

Excel 2002 converts 'S' to 0 when pasting from Clipboard
I came across the following problem: I copied some tabular data from IBM Personal Communications into the clipboard (yes, I am still a user of good old 3270 applications). Then I pasted the data into Microsoft Excel 2002 and all cells containing a 'S' became a '0' (number zero). Next I did some tests and found out that every single uppercase 'S' that is transferred to Excel using copy/paste is translated to '0'. This would not happen with other letters or with words containing an 'S'. Using 'Paste special' I can choose to insert my Clipboard a...

Sum amount if = 2 value's

How do I import from LotusOrg 6.0?Import command only has 5.0
I am trying to import my calendar data from Lotus Org V6.X. Under the file command, it will only import from V5.X. Does anybody have any help for me since I would like to convert to Outlook from Lotus Organizer. Don Kiamie donalbert@mindspring.com In news:32C8F514-3EA5-4802-B1A4-F9C66E77293A@microsoft.com, DonAlbert <DonAlbert@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > I am trying to import my calendar data from Lotus Org V6.X. Under > the file command, it will only import from V5.X. Does anybody have > any help for me since I would like to convert to Outlook from Lotus > ...

Excel pivot table #2

Outlook Express 6 Spell Check #2
I am using Outlook Express 6 on Windows XP, and I have a problem with spell check. When you send an email, it says "spell check has been haulted, do you want to send anyway" and if I ask it to spell check, it says an error has occured in spell check. All my spelling options are correctly set, so I don't know what the problem is. Kimberly McNabb <knmcnabb@hotmail.com> wrote: > I am using Outlook Express 6 on Windows XP, and I have a > problem with spell check. Ask in an Outlook Express newsgroup. -- Brian Tillman ...

Database #2
Hi I'm new to Outlook. I hear of an Outlook database in other threads. Is this synonymous with the ..pst or .ost files people mention? Does it corrupt often and if so are there tools to repair it? Regards Craig. There's a utility called ScanPST.EXE that will scan and attempt to repair the file. Yes, typically when a user says Outlook database they're referring to their PST file "Craig Roberts" <craigroberts@jkr.co.uk> wrote in message news:C4C8E141.211DE%craigroberts@jkr.co.uk... > Hi > > I'm new to Outlook. > > I hear of an Outlook d...

unique with 2 columns

host unreachable #2
hi, if i send a email with a wrong address or mispelled it, i don't get a message that the address, destination is wrong until 4 days later after being deletedj from the outgoi queue im using E5,5 sp4 thks Is that for all domains, even for Yahoo and Hotmail? Rick wrote: > hi, > > if i send a email with a wrong address or mispelled it, i > don't get a message that the address, destination is wrong > until 4 days later after being deletedj from the outgoi > queue > > im using E5,5 sp4 > > thks ...

Excel number formatting #2

FRx 6.7 Compatability with GP 10. 0
Hi, Is FRx 6.7 is campatable with GP 10.0? I have installed Frx 6.7 with and using successfully as local cleint but as requirement I need to run the same Balance Sheet Report which I have created on my client machine want to run on the different client machines withou installing the FRx. Do I need to installed FRx on each client machine? Please give the details. Your immediate help will be greatly appreciated. -- Developer Yes. Frx 6.7 is compatible with GP 10.0. Make sure to apply the latest service pack. I am not sure I understand your question. Are you asking if you need to c...

Closing Excel #2
I have inherited an App desigend by an ex employee Sometimes the program leaves Excel in the task manager The programe uses various routines and calling various functions that define Excel sheets etc (badly named) I'm finding it hard to follow (my 1st experince of .NET) is there a way to KILL any Excel instence when exiting the program. I have come across some posts about GC (garbage collection) like this System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ReleaseComObject(oXLWsheet) oXLWsheet = Nothing 'System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ReleaseComObject(oXLWs) oXLWs = Nothing oBook.Clos...

hidden transactions #2
I have a problem with account balances: the balance for checking is way off on the hiome page than in the account register view. When I tried to find out why, I got some greyed out transaction when I went from bill schedule through right click to payee. This transaction cannot be changed or deleted, but in total all such transactions made up the difference in balance. Any suggestions? Oscar -- Elvart In microsoft.public.money, elvigor wrote: >I have a problem with account balances: the balance for checking is way off >on the hiome page than in the account register view. When I ...

Stats/PivotTables #2
I have to produce stats from data exported as a CSV file from a piece of custom made software we use here. The data displayed in Excel looks like this: 01/04/2003 05:31 Dr JESSICA STROUDLEY 01/04/2003 08:56 Dr JESSICA STROUDLEY 01/04/2003 11:16 Dr JESSICA STROUDLEY 02/04/2003 11:42 Dr JESSICA STROUDLEY 02/04/2003 05:31 Dr JESSICA STROUDLEY 02/04/2003 08:56 Dr JESSICA STROUDLEY 03/04/2003 11:16 Dr JESSICA STROUDLEY 03/04/2003 11:42 Dr JESSICA STROUDLEY I have to produce a spreadsheet saying how many examinations were done by a particular doctor over a certain timespan. Each date li...