Pulldown List to open Workbook.

I have a supplier who updates his pricelist via several spreadsheets.
I want to create an interface so that I may access the appropriate
pricelist (workbook) by simply selecting the proper category from a
pulldown menu (list).

So basically, if I select "Piping" from the pulldown menu, it would
open "Piping.xls" either within my main workbook or by itself.

I have no macro experience so I was hoping I could do this without
using them... is this possible?
0
lukus2005 (35)
10/25/2010 3:08:43 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Opening a workbook from a dropdown box requires a macro.
You could, however, create a list of links to your workbooks (on a worksheet)
and open a workbook by simply clicking the link.

Use a hyperlink formula for each workbook you want to open...
=HYPERLINK("C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 2003\Sludge.xls","Sludge.xls")
-or-
Use the "Hyperlink..." menu item from the Excel Insert menu.
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon  USA

..
..
..

<lukus2005@gmail.com>
wrote in message
I have a supplier who updates his pricelist via several spreadsheets.
I want to create an interface so that I may access the appropriate
pricelist (workbook) by simply selecting the proper category from a
pulldown menu (list).

So basically, if I select "Piping" from the pulldown menu, it would
open "Piping.xls" either within my main workbook or by itself.

I have no macro experience so I was hoping I could do this without
using them... is this possible?
Thanks Jim!  Not the way I had envisioned but it certainly does
accomplish what I wanted.

On Oct 25, 12:17=A0pm, "Jim Cone" <james.cone...@comcast.netXXX> wrote:
> Opening a workbook from a dropdown box requires a macro.
> You could, however, create a list of links to your workbooks (on a worksh=
eet)
> and open a workbook by simply clicking the link.
>
> Use a hyperlink formula for each workbook you want to open...
> =3DHYPERLINK("C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 2003\Sludge.xls","Sludge.=
xls")
> -or-
> Use the "Hyperlink..." menu item from the Excel Insert menu.
> --
> Jim Cone
> Portland, Oregon =A0USAhttp://tinyurl.com/ListFiles
> (excel add-in to automatically list files)

0
lukus2005 (35)

Paste Filtered Range to New Workbook- AS
Hello, I recorded a macro and additionally used the DG help to construct the following macro; however, I'm not certain how to copy the filtered range (which will vary every time the worksheet is used) or how to find the last row of the workbook to which the data will be pasted. Any help would be great! And thanks in advance. Sub Macro1() Dim wbname As String Dim copyrange As Range Dim LastRow As Range Dim rng As Range ' Macro1 Macro ' Macro recorded 12/8/2009 by asagay ' wbname = ActiveSheet.Range("g1").Value & ActiveSheet.Range("j1&qu...

Money 2006 won't open
Recently had problems with the IE8 upgrade. It screwed up everything so much that I'm back with IE6, which seems to be working OK. But now MS-Money won't open. The msmoney.exe file is running because I can see it in Task Manager. Even when I end the process in Task Manager, the program still won't open on the desktop. Rebooting doesn't solve anything. Any ideas? Windows XP, SP3 Have you tried: 1) Opening the Money Sample data file? (This will isolate problems with your data file from problems with the application itself.) 2) Reinstalling Money? "snavegerg...

Job Listing- VC++ MFC with Isofttech
Position: Technical Lead Experience: VC++/C++ with MFC Good to have: Wireless 802.11 Skills & Windows development experience. 5-6 years of experience. Work Location: Chennai Education: BE/B Tech, ME/M Tech ( CS,IT,ECE,EEE) Do send in your CV to sridhar.doss@consultniche.com thanks s.doss niche consulting ...

double opening files
When I try to open an Excel file, MS Excel seems to open the document twice, thereby creating an error the second time it opens and will only open a read-only document saying someone else has it open. Is this is BUG and is there a PATCH I can download? This is with MS Excel 97 on an NT platform thanks Elaine ;) I got a similar problem using Excel 97 on an Windows XP machine, which was soved by uninstalling then reinstaling Excel 97. hth AndyO "elaine" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0b0c01c3b03f$cdbd2860$a301280a@phx.gbl... > When I try ...

Listing Activesynce users
Is there a way to list the users who are actually using Activesync? I can get a list of all the devices but have not run across a method of seeing if they are actually sending and reciveing mail. Thanks. Jeff In news:Oi0wwKTaGHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl, Jeff Senter <jsenter@erols.com> typed: > Is there a way to list the users who are actually using Activesync? I > can get a list of all the devices but have not run across a method of > seeing if they are actually sending and reciveing mail. > > Thanks. > > Jeff Check out http://www.microsoft.com/downloads...

Image List
Hello All I Need To Get The Path Of The Image Saved In An Image List Any One Know How Thanks Start Run Browse to the field Select view all field types Select open Cut the path from the box Close run Be aware the you will have extra "" around the path (just in case you are using the path in a code) Good luck -- Wayne Manchester, England. "RABEA" wrote: > Hello All > > I Need To Get The Path Of The Image Saved In An Image List > > Any One Know How > > Thanks > > > I'm not sure whether this info is retained but even if it ...

enter value based on drop down list of another field?
I have an excel 2003 spreadsheet with 3 worksheets. In sheet 1, I created a drop down list in column A based on values in sheet 3, column A (item number). Thisd data comes from sheet 3, where I have column A (Item #'s), column B (Item desc)an Column C (price) In column B of sheet 1, I have Item Descriptions and in column C I have price. I want this to automatically fill in based on what I enter in the column A sheet 1 and it should get the corresponding values from sheet 3 column B and C. I can make the drop down list in sheet 1 column B and C, but some of the descriptions need ...

error opening ppt file
I have office 2007 installed but when i try to open a ppt file created by some one it says powerpoint can't read the outline . No text converter is installed for this file type. karan In article <a888f8cd-1391-4124-80c0- 631197290d7a@y28g2000prd.googlegroups.com>, Guddu wrote: > I have office 2007 installed but when i try to open a ppt file created > by some one it says powerpoint can't read the outline . No text > converter is installed for this file type. Have a look here: "PowerPoint can't open the type of file represented by [FILENAME]"...

In what order do installed AddIns open?
I had no joy with my other post 'Trying to read CustomDocumentProperties of an open 2007 AddIn Options ' so I'm trying another tack... To work around a problem I'm having, since upgrading a complex tool to Excel 2007, I need to ensure that my Version Checker AddIn always opens before my Engine AddIn. Is there any useable logic that dictates the order in which Excel opens its installed AddIns (e.g. alphabetical, order of installation, position in list) or is it one of those unknown internal processes that will forever remain a mystery? Br, Nick. First Com...

Page not found error when opening business portal
Hi We're trying to install Invoice Approvals and Accruals 8.0, sharepoint services sp2 and Business Portal 2.5 Feature Pack to work with Great Plains 8.0 We can install Sharepoint services and Invoice Approvals and Accruals ok and they work fine However, when we install Business Portal and browse to http://servername/sites/businessportal/ We receive a "page not found" error screen We've tried several things but nothing seems to work Sharepoint services is installed in server farm mode and has been configured correctly (as far as I can tell) Any help would be great...

Mailing List Duplicates
Is there a software program that works with excel to delete duplicate names? Our mailing list is in the thousands. Thanks for any and all help. Gordon habitated@gulftel.com one way? data>advanced filter, copy to another location and unique records only "Gordon" <habitated@gulftel.com> wrote in message news:032201c3796f$ab75f130$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Is there a software program that works with excel to > delete duplicate names? Our mailing list is in the > thousands. Thanks for any and all help. > > Gordon > habitated@gulftel.com ...

combo box list updating
Hi - I would like my combo box list to change base on the value of A1. That is, I have its input range being B1:F1 - "Year 1", " Year 2" etc. Example: -If cell A1 is the value "10" then the combo box default list item would be "Year 1" (which is cell "B1") -If cell A1 is the value "20" then the combo box default list item would be "Year 2" (which is cell "C1") ETC... Thanks for your help - Jim A ...

C#, .net 3.5sp1 and Visual Studio 2008 sp1 errors list
What kind of errors will the errors list show when using C# 3.5sp1 with Visual Studio 2008sp1? "Andy B." <a_borka@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:%23tmIzu4vKHA.404@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > What kind of errors will the errors list show when using C# 3.5sp1 with > Visual Studio 2008sp1? e Why would you expect any? On the face of it vs 2008 sp1 will target .Net framework 3.5 sp1 by default. Andy B. wrote: > What kind of errors will the errors list show when using C# 3.5sp1 with > Visual Studio 2008sp1? That all depends on what ki...

vb script for opening notepad
Hi, I am a newbie to vb...Can somebodyprovide me a simple vb script for opening notepad in vista using windows shell Thanks VB baby "Melvin" <whereismelvin@gmail.com> wrote in message news:41a15213-b062-41f5-8525-7eb95c68864a@s22g2000prd.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > I am a newbie to vb...Can somebodyprovide me a simple vb script for > opening notepad in vista using windows shell What version of VB are you planning to use? This group is for VB classic(VB6 or lower) which is very different from VB.Net(sometimes called VB 2005/2008). If this ...

CObarray and list
Can any one give me some pointeres? I have a CObArray, say, with 4 items. I have a list box, of which the content is generated from the string variables of the 4 items. The list box is sorted alphabetically. When a users clicks on an item in the list box, what's the best way to reference back to the original array, i.e which array has been selected? I can't use GetCurSel() as the list box is sorted alphabetically. I can't do a direct comparison either as the list items are generated from a bunch of variables within each array object. In some cases, it may be possible for dupli...

need help with list box?
Hi I have a huge table of about 20000 records. how can I restrict entry for a few columns. I am new to excel programming. For example. I have a list of colors (red, green, blue) that I want to go under the Color column. how can I allow the user to click on a pulldown or list box similar to ms access for each cell. thanks in advance. Hi you could use 'Data - Validation'. See: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html >-----Original Message----- >Hi > >I have a huge table of about 20000 records. how can I restrict entry for a >few columns. >I am new to exc...

List all row source for all forms, reports etc.
Hi I'm doing some work cleaning out old unused forms, reports and queries. I have been going through each report in a database (There are A LOT), determining its row source query, then marking it for deletion. I will eventually end up going through and deleting all the unused queries. As you can imagine this is time consuming, and I was thinkg 'there must be a FASTER way" Does anyone have a suggestion, or link to a pre-built function or model that could assist me? Regards Darragh On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 22:14:18 -0800 (PST), Darragh <darragh.murray@gmail.com> wrote: >Hi...

Stop Buttons showing when opening up form
I have a button on my Main Start up page that when click makes these buttons visible, but when I open up my DB they automatically show on start up, is it possible they not be visible till I click ckbHelp.......Thanks for any Help.....Bob Private Sub ckbHelp_Click() If ckbHelp = True Then cmbHelpNewHorse.Visible = True cmbHelpActFinHorse.Visible = True End If If ckbHelp = False Then cmbHelpNewHorse.Visible = False cmbHelpActFinHorse.Visible = False End If End Sub Bob, In design view, set the property pf the *button* Visible=No Regards/Jacob "Bob" <xxx@xx.xx> wrote i...

Outlook help
Hello. After years of using Outlook on my Windows XP machine, now I get the following error: Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Unable to open the Outlook window. The set of folders could not be opened. The server is not available. Contact your administrator if this condition persists. Can anyone help? Where is the actual data kept? Can I retrieve it? Can you open Outlook in Safe Mode by using the /Safe switch? If you need help using Outlook command line switches, look here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;296192 -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook ...

Cash Drawer won't open on transaction
Our client just replaced a PC after a H/D failure and everything is back up and working other than the cash drawer. It's connected to a Star SP200 serial printer on COM1. The printer works fine. The printer and the drawer both test fine from the Star OPOS configuration utility. Also, both are visible and test fine from the device screen in Store Ops (Shift + Ctrl + F5). We've already removed and reinstalled the Star drivers and tried a couple different versions. So now what...? BMI, Did you install Star's Cash Drawer OPOS driver too? Look in the Star folder for the Cash ...

Problem opening up current Excel wksht to mail merge in Word
Hi, I have Microsoft 2007. I created a list in Excel with clients' name, address, city, state, zip. Then, in Word I go to Select Recipients, locate the Excel file and click open. Here's the problem: a Select Table box appears with Sheet1$, Sheet2$, and Sheet3$ as options. clicking on any of the three results in NOTHING. Nothing at all appears! I'm not sure what the problem might be. Thank you for the help! Rachelle ...

MSN account list
How come I can't get a CASH account to show up in MSN. I want to enter transaction on MSN site from work and on the road, and sync them when I get home. ...

getting consolidate list of "follow up" items
Dear All, I would like to get a consolidated list of items (sent and received mails)that have matured - i.e. whose follow up time is up. I have the habit of tagging a sent mail (after actually sending) for follow up. Similarly, mails received are also tagged for my further action (for follow up). Would appreciate a consolidated follow up report generation way - rather that opening each folder and looking for mature items (i.e. red). Thanks in advance. Sanjay ...

list view problems
hi all basically I have a few questions CListViews that I'm trying to use: 1. are the rows uniform in height, and rowheight cant be adjusted? 2. How can I set column width as per my wish. i tried SetColumnWidth and LVCOLUMN structure 3. is there a setting so users cannot resize the column or in other words make column width fixed? Thanks a lot. Harish 1. There are several ways by which you can set the row height of a list control. Create an owner-draw list control and handle the WM_MEASUREITEM message, and set the itemHeight attribute of LPMEASUREITEM struct. Create a C...

Can't open up Outlook messages
The Microsoft Outlook screen will appear. When I click on the messages they will not open up. I get a message that Outlook Not Responding. Not sure if a connection problem (Using Road Runner), a server problem or a computer problem. Any advice will be appreciated. I have Windows XP Home Edition installed. Thanks. ...