Protecting hidden columns so they can't be unhidden ?

Hi,

Is there a way to hide columns so that no one else can unhide them ?  Need
to send a file with data in 2 hidden columns that I don't want to be
unhidden and I don't want to have to delete them.

Thanks !

0
hehe3 (2)
6/2/2004 4:01:00 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Gary, easiest way is to hide the columns then protect the worksheet (Tools >
Protection > Protect Sheet). If there are cells that the recipients will use
for data entry, unlock them (Format > Cells > Protection > Locked) first.

You can also remove the row and column headers (Tools > Options > View > Row
& column headers) so it won't be immediately apparent that there are hidden
columns.

--
DDM
"DDM's Microsoft Office Tips and Tricks"
Visit us at www.ddmcomputing.com

"Gary" <hehe3@mail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to hide columns so that no one else can unhide them ?  Need
> to send a file with data in 2 hidden columns that I don't want to be
> unhidden and I don't want to have to delete them.
>
> Thanks !

0
DDMara (266)
6/2/2004 5:29:28 PM
There is no safe way to do this
You can protect your sheet but the password is easy to break.

The best way is to only send the visible data as values to them.
Is this a option?

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Gary" <hehe3@mail.com> wrote in message news:0Rmvc.41537$Ly.36916@attbi_s01...
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to hide columns so that no one else can unhide them ?  Need
> to send a file with data in 2 hidden columns that I don't want to be
> unhidden and I don't want to have to delete them.
>
> Thanks !

0
rondebruin (3790)
6/2/2004 6:07:16 PM
Most in here could break any level of protection you put on those columns in
around 12 seconds or less.  If this is stuff you'd 'rather' they didn't see,
then your choice of whether to chance it, but if it's sensitive data that's in
there then I'd suggest you rethink this now.  As Ron suggested, paste as values
or find another way of disguising/burying the data in a format that can't be
reverse engineered.

--
Regards
              Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 97/00/02/03

"Gary" <hehe3@mail.com> wrote in message news:0Rmvc.41537$Ly.36916@attbi_s01...
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to hide columns so that no one else can unhide them ?  Need
> to send a file with data in 2 hidden columns that I don't want to be
> unhidden and I don't want to have to delete them.
>
> Thanks !

---

ken.wright (2489)

column headings
My column headings have numbers (1, 2, 3...) instead of letters (A,B,C...). How can I change that. In Excel 2007: Office button>Excel Options>Formulas>Working with formulas>uncheck R1C1 reference style>OK out Other versions of Excel: Tools>Options>General tab>Settings>uncheck R1C1 reference style>OK out -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Debbie Dupe" <Debbie Dupe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:501D9530-1E66-4E41-BF96-AC8C9AFF2323@microsoft.com... > My column headings have numbers (1, 2, 3...) instead of ...

COUNTIF for 2 columns
I'm trying to set a parameter of the following in a formula in column J: =COUNTIF($C:$C,$B300) That also only counts the number of times in column J where a cells (J1:J299) value is greater than "0". ----this is where I can't figure out the how to?? In other words, I need to set-up a formula in column J row 300 that I want to count the number of times that column C is equal to cell B300 only if the value in column J's cell is greater than zero. Thanks, Bill Try =SUMPRODUCT(--($J$1:$J$299>0),--($C$1:$C$299=$B300)) -- HTH Bob "b1...

Protecting cells #3
Excel 2000. I have a worksheet that has some columns I want protected and some others I want to be able to enter / edit . How do I set this up. (I don't want to protect ALL of the worksheet.) Thanks... rob Hi rob protection in excel works by first choosing the cells that you don't want protected (select cells; fomat / cells - protection tab; untick locked) and then protecting the worksheet (tools / protection / protect sheet). cheers julieD "rob p" <nospam*wlb@stans.net> wrote in message news:O1%235IZDZEHA.1356@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Excel 2000. I have a wo...

Select column that matches a value entered in a User Form TextBox
I am building an Excel 2007 User Form in VB. I want my users to be able to type the day of month (i.e. 6 for the 6th of the month) and have code that automatically selects the column that is set up for that date to be used. Each column has the day of the month as the top field of the column. Therefore, if they type '6', I want to select the equal value, '6' in the day column, and use that column. Have tried several functions, and am not coming up with the correct code to accomplish this. I assume you meant "6" inthe day row, not column. Assuming ...

set up a macro to delete characters in each cell of a column
I wish to delete 3 characters in each cell of a row. A macro qould be much faster but how i do it? Hi Rick, Try: '===================>> Public SubDeleteLast3Chars() Dim rng As Range Dim rcell As Range Dim WB As Workbook Dim SH As Worksheet Dim iLen As Long Set WB = ActiveWorkbook '<<========== CHANGE Set SH = WB.Sheets("Sheet4") '<<========== CHANGE Set rng = SH.Range("A2:M2") '<<========== CHANGE For Each rcell In rng.Cells With rcell If Not .HasFormula Then ...

Countif
I am trying to count the occurances of time in a column e.g how many calls were received between 07:00:00 and 17:0:00 Does anyone know a formula that works for time? Hi, Supposing that the time data are in A2....A100, to count the number of calls that were received between 07:00:00 (enter this B2) and 17:00:00 (enter this in C2), and in D2 enter the following formula and click Enter. =SUMPRODUCT((A2:A100>=B2)*(A2:A100<=C2)) Regards, B. R. Ramachandran "TRM" wrote: > I am trying to count the occurances of time in a column e.g how many calls > were received betwe...

copy column and header names from existing spreadsheet to new spre
I need help coping all column and header info brought over from one spreadsheet to another with out copying and pasting everything. Is this possible and how do you do it? which info you want to put in new sheet and which you want to skip, please explain in detail alongwith the format of your data. -- starguy ------------------------------------------------------------------------ starguy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32434 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=561613 Like starguy, I'm a little uncertain ...

Protecting your logo in Word
Hi there! I am trying to protect two areas of our company letterhead word document so that users cannot edit or delete them. The two areas are; 1. Our company logo (positioned top right of every page) 2. The footer - containing our company name and contact details Protection of the footer area seems to work easily enough, but protecting the logo is more difficult! Currently I am only able to protect the entire header when in actual fact I only want to protect the logo in the top right hand corner. (I would like to be able to use the remaining space at the top of the page t...

Matcro to order columns
Please, i need help with a macro to order 2 columns like that: Column A Column B A A B B C D E E G F After the macro runs, the columns will be in the follow order: Column A Column B A A B B C D E E F G Tks for this help. Option Explicit Sub testme() Application.ScreenUpdating = False Dim wks As Worksheet Dim ColA As Ran...

How do I enter a formula that multiplies columns?
I'm trying to enter a formula so that when I type numbers in columns, like B & C, I get the result (of multiplying) the columns in column D or wherever. I can do it individually, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to make it apply to all the numbers as I add them. Help would be outstanding!! TKS Hi TKS I am not quite sure if I understand you correctly, but what I would do is this: If you want to have numbers in Columns A, B and C and multiply them in Column D, you could enter following formula to your column D: =3DA1*B1*C1 which of course only works, if all three...

Recover Protected server
Hi, I have a question on how to recover a server. I was testing on how to do server recovery using DPM. I have a small setup 1 DPM server using a direct to tape backup (LTO2 and 1 drive Tape Library). I'm backing up a windows xp machine. I'm backing up C and D drives and the System state directly to tape. The backup was successfull. What i'm trying to do is to restore the windows xp machine to another PC with the same specs. When i tried to the a recovery using tape,i've tried to recover the D drive first. When the data recovered reach up to 3GB it will ...

Highlighting hidden objects on a sheet?
Someone just sent me a workbook with some weirdness (lines that I can't select but aren't borders, etc) and I recall a posting from a long time ago about hidden objects like empty text fields where row heights (or hidden rows) and other things caused them to be so small that you didn't see them to select them, but they slowed the workbook down tremendously. I looked through the menus, but nothing triggered any memories- how do I select all objects (excluding graphs, if possible) on a page so I can delete them all at once? Thanks! Keith There's a useful, but well hidden, tool...

Column Width Adjustment
Is there a way to adjust the column width automatically to fit the length of the longest data in the cell. I know how to do it one column at a time but not how to do all columns of data at once. Thanks, Jerry Do a <Ctrl> <A> to select the entire sheet, then, Do the same thing you would do for a single Column: <Format> <Column> <AutoFit> -- HTH, RD --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit ! -------------------------------------------------------------...

I can't make the "unhide column" work in 2007 Excell
With my issue of Excell 2007 I cannot make the unhide column work. I can hide columns but cannot reverse and unhide them,either by going to thr formate screens or by right clicking. -- pjch You can always select the column(s) and set the width to 10 instead of unhide. It MAY not be unhidable if in fact it already has a small but non-0 width (because it is already unhidden). Further, you can try autofitting the column. Bob Umlas Excel MVP "Pearce Henry" <henry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A35593A1-9A60-447F-8411-21373E9AC3FC@microsoft.com... > Wit...

Pivot Table for 3 columns of elapsed times
Good day all! I'm a bit dense today, and would like an insight... I have a table with three columns of turn-around-times, where I am counting elapsed time in five minute increments for each occurance (1=5", 2=10", etc.). I'd like to summarize each of the three TAT's by the elapsed 5" increments. The goal would be to have pivot table and graph showing the spread of TAT's for each of the three categories. Thoughts? SAMPLE: O-D @ 5" D-R @ 5" O-R @ 5" 10 4 14 8 4 12 3 3 6 3 3 6 3 3 6 3 3 6 12 -...

FInd common data in one column then add number in adjacent column
I suspect this is a LOOKUP formula, but I'm not sure and need some help. Column R contains membership classifications. Column K contains contributions. I need a formula that looks through column R for certain classifications (example: NM09-1), then adds the values in the corresponding cells in column K. Appreciate any help. JT What corresponding cells? HTH Otto "JT" <JT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:39A6C545-F21F-4668-B0EB-AE7A0780199B@microsoft.com... > I suspect this is a LOOKUP formula, but I'm not sure and need some ...

My Excel column headings were letters and it switched to numbers?
The row that runs across the top of my spreadsheet that normally shows A, B, C, D, etc. has now switched to 1, 2, 3 and so on. I have no idea what was pushed to change this but I sure hope someone else does because it switched all my formulas also. Take a look at Tools>Options and check whether R1C1 reference style has been checked on the General tab "Sondra" wrote: > The row that runs across the top of my spreadsheet that normally shows A, B, > C, D, etc. has now switched to 1, 2, 3 and so on. I have no idea what was > pushed to change this but I sure hope s...

Protect sheet
Hi I protected a certain range but I would also like to disbale any entry in that area that is not in number format, HOW I know it is possible, I've seen in but don't know how to do it Thanx Ivic Ivica, If you mean allow only numbers, try Data -Validation - Whole number or Decimal. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "Ivica" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:600EE201-0A2B-49A6-A38D-A6020A94162D@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I protected a certain range but I wou...

Column chart with 3 orders of magnitude
I would like to build a column chart with 3 orders of magnitude. I envisage this as two series plotted as columns in three parts 1) A Y-axis with Y-max = 100 and say 3 X-labels followed by 2) A change of scale with another Y-axis with Y-max = 10 and another 3 x-labels and now it gets difficult ... 3) yet another another change of scale with a Y-axis with Y-max = 1 and another 3 x-labels. Is it possible to draw dummy y-axes on a column chart? Steve Hi, See Jon Peltier's instructions, which should be applicable to column chart. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/TertiaryAxis.html C...

Hide columns to all but one user?
Is it possible to restrict the view of several columns to one user? I have a spreadsheet that the whole team enters data into. The manager wants columns in the same spreadsheet where she can enter confidential information about each project, so she should be the only person who can view or unhide or ungroup those columns or something. Any suggestions? Here is what will happen. Test this in a blank new workbook: Enter in the following cells. A1: You're the B1: stupidest C1: man ! Rightclick columnheader B. Choose Hide. Now it says "You're the man !", which is far nicer...

Stacked column chart
Is there a way to have 2 stacked columns per each x axis category? I currently have a stacked column chart broken out on the x axis by time of day from information 6 months ago. Now, I would like to add a new stacked column next to each of the old stacked columns for a before and after look. Is that possible? Check out this blog entry: Clustered-Stacked Column Charts http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/2008/05/19/clustered-stacked-column-charts/ - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______...

"autofill" column with formula.
Hello, I'm a programmer, but I'm an Excel newbie. Here is my problem: I'm writing a worksheet with a few formulae and I want each formula to be somehow autofilled in the whole column as I fill the rows. For example, I have columns A, B, and C, like the following: | A | B | C | 1 | Principal | Interest | Balance | 2 | 10000| 16| 10016| 3 | 20000| 28| 20028| Row 1 is a frozed pane and C2=$A2+$B2 C3=$A3+$B3 I want it so that, as I fill the columns A and B of the subsequent rows, column C is automati...

Protecting cells and worksheet
I have a workbook comprised of two worksheets. Worksheet 2 is completel protected. No problem. However, worksheet 1 should have all of the dro down list boxes available to pick new selections, but I don't want th user's to be able to modify anything else on the sheet. I tried t unlock the drop down boxes then lock the entire sheet but that didn' work. Any hints ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Did you unlock the linked cell (or even move it to an...

How to count each of the unique entries in a column?
I have a large column with many entries. Many of these are duplicates so I'd like to be able to count how many ABC entries are in the column, and how many DEF entries, etc... For example I have a column in C which lists the items and another column F which lists the dates that item was acted on. I'd like to see how many items were acted on each of the different dates. So is there some way to get results something like this: 11/27/2008 = 43 11/28/2008 = 65 11/29/2008 = 32 Any format of the results would actually be fine as long as it tells me how many items were acted on each of...

Variable Column Width's
Can anyone tell me if it is possible for a column to have more then one column width on the same worksheet? I need to create a worksheet that has two bordered sections with specific column widths in the top portion of the worksheet and directly below these two sections, I need three sections of bordered information with a different column width's on the same worksheet - is this possible? Thanks, Roy You can merge cells to get something like what you describe. Bernard "Roy" <walkeroy@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:06ea01c38c41$6b1b25d0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Ca...