protecting a text box in spreadshhet

This is defeating me I have a text box in an excel sheet, I can protect the
sheet ok but the text box always remains unprotected (ie the user could
change the text)
How do I protect it?

thank you.

0
nonense50 (76)
10/22/2010 3:42:21 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Un-protect the sheet

Right-click on edge of TextBox and Format TextBox>Protection

Protect the sheet.

Gord Dibben     MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 16:42:21 +0100, "SS" <nonense50@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>This is defeating me I have a text box in an excel sheet, I can protect the
>sheet ok but the text box always remains unprotected (ie the user could
>change the text)
>How do I protect it?
>
>thank you.

0
phnorton (279)
10/22/2010 4:00:01 PM
Thanks Gord,

That didnt work and then I realsed I needed to lock the text as well, sorted
now.

thanks

"Gord Dibben" <phnorton@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Un-protect the sheet
>
> Right-click on edge of TextBox and Format TextBox>Protection
>
> Protect the sheet.
>

> Gord Dibben     MS Excel MVP
>
> On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 16:42:21 +0100, "SS" <nonense50@blueyonder.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>>This is defeating me I have a text box in an excel sheet, I can protect
>>the
>>sheet ok but the text box always remains unprotected (ie the user could
>>change the text)
>>How do I protect it?
>>
>>thank you.

0
nonense50 (76)

Exchange rich-text format
What are the results from the client side if I change my Exchange 2003 server to "Alwayes Use" Exchange Rich-Text format from "Determined by individual user settings"? On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 08:31:01 -0700, CK <CK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >What are the results from the client side if I change my Exchange 2003 server >to "Alwayes Use" Exchange Rich-Text format from "Determined by individual >user settings"? Depends on what your users are sending messages as. Most will be using HTML or RTF anyway unless you have some policy in p...

Importing Text File #3
Did ya ever have one of those lucky accidents that you like and would like to replicate? I created a simple excel workbook based on imported text data. Later, when I reopended the file, I noticed that the "refresh" button was activated and would auto import when I clicked. The best part is that the import specs were retained. I have no idea how I did this and have not been able to replicate the functionality. Can someone help? Thanks Bean, It sounds as if you used Data - Get external data. It remembers all the paramaters you specify, and you have only to do a refresh, ...

I have a red pencil box
It's red and holds pencils. ...

Change from MS Outlook Rich Text to HTML
I use Outlook 98 and I want to change my message format to HTML so that I can have nice backgrounds etc on my mail. For some reason this facility doesn't seem to be available to me on the 'Mail Format' Tab. It is blacked out and I cannot change it from Rich Text to HTML. Is there anything I can do to sort this out? Could it be because I am on a network at work and they have disabled it? If so, how can I enable it? Cheers! ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www...

Trouble with hyhens within text when using LOOKUP
I have two columns, each containing a list of part numbers. Some of the part numbers contain hyphens. I am using LOOKUP and/or VLOOKUP to determine if the value in one column exists in the other. This works great on non-hyphenated part numbers. However, it will not find or return the hyphenated part numbers from the specified arrays. As a test, I did a quick if statement to compare the instances of identical hyphenated values that exist in both columns. Those statements did not have a problem with the hyphens. Can anyone offer any help? If hyphens cannot be used in conjunction with the ...

instructions disppear when users begin type (text field)
Hi all, I need to customize the outlook contact form and I want to add one text field to allow users to add details info and instruct users how to add. Instructions shows in the field and the instructions disappear when users click and begin to type. How should I do this? exchange 2003/outlook2003 Thank you. It's hard for me to visualize exactly what you're expecting to happen. If you want the instructions to stay on the screen, you could display them in a label control. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook 2007 Programming: Jumps...

Limited Password Protection
Is there way to put password protection for preventing modifications in original file. but still allow copy and paste from the original file to another? Thanks, Sameer Hi Sameer I'm afraid password protection is ON or OFF there's no limited protection AFAIK -- john ATSIGN PPTAlchemy.co.uk Free PPT Hints, Tips and Tutorials http://www.pptalchemy.co.uk/powerpoint_hints_and_tips_tutorials.html "Sameer" wrote: > Is there way to put password protection for preventing modifications > in original file. but still allow copy and paste from the ...

If statement with formatted text
Hi, Is there any way to have an if formula such as: If (A1="Active", "KAE",KPE") where the two letters after the K are formatted as subscript? The best I've done is to paste a picture over the cell. The picture's formula refers to named formula that selects one of two cells, the one with correct string. One cell contains KAE and the other KPE with the subscript. However, it means that I'm using a picture and it would be much nicer if I could just do it in an If formula. I hope that makes some kind of sense, and thanks in advance for your help. D...

Inbox and unread box
What's the purpose of having an inbox and an unread box in my outlook 2003. They both read the same number of messages. Is it a duplicate? With Outlook xp, it would simply show a number in black, to let me know the number of unopened messages. Now, there seems to be a separate folder entitled "unread" and it has the exact same number of email messages as my inbox ... all of time, and has always displayed the exact same number since I installed it. Is anyone able to explain this? I dont' understand it. Thanks in advance. Diana Definitely not a duplicate; it's a S...

Saving html message as Draft changes text formatting...
WIN XP HE, OL 2002 Hi, I have recently noticed that whenever I write an email (using Word as editor) in html format, and instead of sending it, save it (to the drafts folder), the text itself changes format from my default to another one. It seems to change in the paragraph style which then changes the text format. The only change I recently made was to edit my signatures in html, rtf and plain text format. When I write a new email, it opens up with the signature already in it and perhaps there are format/style conflicts..? Tx for shedding some light into this. S As an added information, t...

can lookup return cell reference istead of "text" for sumif?
I am trying to use a lookup-function to determine a different sum range for several criteria. Like so: =Sumif($A$7:$A$1447;"<"&X3;vlookup(e3;AT3:AU11;2;false)-Sumif($A$7:$A $1447;"<"&y3;vlookup(e3;AT3:AU11;2;false) The problem is that the vlookup returns text and not the cell reference. Is there a way to get the answer from the lookup expressed as cell reference instead of text, since sumif can't use text, just the cell reference? I use it to calculate the number of hours the staff should be paid, so it's different from weekdays to saturdays, holidays...

Using cell text in a formula
I am trying to use derived cell references in a VLOOKUP formula to matc data in several tables. For example, A1 contains the cell reference fo the top left of my array (A3) whilst cell A2 contains the cel reference for the bottom right of my array (D14). The array I' checking against starts in column E3. However, when I use the formula =VLOOKUP(E3,A1:A2,4,FALSE) I get a #N/ error. I need to use the cell references in each VLOOKUP as the arra sizes may vary in each case. (PS, I've used =INDIRECT(ADDRESS(A1,A2) to derive the cell references. Ji -- Message posted from http://www.Excel...

cannot view all of text in large cell, even though I have it to w.
I have cell format to wrap text and it works fine to a p[oint then no more text is displayed....casn increase the size of the cell, but still only so much will display....rest of the cell show blank. Hi +the limit is 1024 characters. You can extend this with manually inserting linebrekas using aLT+ENTER -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany sydme wrote: > I have cell format to wrap text and it works fine to a p[oint then no > more text is displayed....casn increase the size of the cell, but > still only so much will display....rest of the cell show blank. ...

Text box jumps to left of page
Word 2004 (I am relatively new to Word and am delighted to find a forum specifically for the Mac version. There are a number of unresolved, niggling issues I can live however they slow the workflow. I am eager to learn.) In the recent past, I manually converted 12,000+ recipes from WordPerfect 7 to Word. Since Word 2004 does not have a filter for the old files, the conversion was done on the Windows side of my Mac in Word2003. Those files _usually_ open without protest also in 2004. One annoyance regards text boxes. When text was highlighted and a text box was requested for it in...

Protecting Application by Admin Password.
Hi All, How I can Protect my Mfc application by asking for Admin Password/ Username? Is there any API to do this? Any Samples will be of great Help. Thanks in Advance. Prash What's the purpose of that? Arbitrary applications should NOT ask for admin username/password, it's not their business. Only LSA should get them. <prashanthaputta@rediffmail.com> wrote in message news:1172392260.217834.127740@p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com... > Hi All, > > How I can Protect my Mfc application by asking for Admin Password/ > Username? Is there any API to do this? > > An...

List box
I am trying to use the list box function from the control toolbar. I am not sure how to get the listings I want in the list box. Is there certain VB coding that is needed? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks. Todd No VBA code needed. In Design mode, click on your list box and select Properties from the Control toolbox (or right-click your list box and select Properties), then scroll down to the ListFillRange Property and indicate the cell range address that has the items you want to appear in the box (i.e., A1:A10). Then exit out of design mode and test your list box. MRO "Tod...

Create your personal SMS homepage, let friends send FREE text message to your mobile phone by web
Create your personal SMS homepage, let friends send FREE text message to your mobile phone by web Support over 147 countries and ALL languages (unicode encoding) MSG.to provides a unique personal SMS URL for you. It is easy for friends sending text message to you by web. For example, if your name is Lisa, you can register: http://MSG.to/Lisa (you can use this link to see demo) You can also register your mobile phone number as SMS URL like: http://MSG.to/+886913123456 (you can use this link to see demo) Please visit http://msg.to/ for more information. Related keywords: Short Message Serv...

imbed excel cell text in a shape
I need to insert a number into a shape that corresponds to a cell in excel. Kinda like the exploded parts view in a car repair manual. A callout shape with a text value "123" that is linked to cell A1 in file ***.xls. It would be nice to be able to auto generate the callouts from the excel file. shape 123 is cell A1, shape 124 is cell A2 and so on. Thanks what version of visio are you running? al "mystified" <mystified@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:80B4E390-190A-41D9-AC4A-F96C1DA6FB6E@microsoft.com... >I need to insert a number into a s...

Table headers in a list box (Custom Report)
I have a big table with many fields (more than fifty). They are not in one table but related. Now user's come with a requirement of a separate type of report everyday which has different fields. because of which i have to design a report for them with the required query. I was therefore wondering can i make a form which has two list boxes the one on left side will have all the fields of the table (only headers needed, not data). Users can select multiple no. of fields from that list box which will appear in another list box. Users should be able to then select the order of fi...

Dead Exchange box
I have a SBS 2003 Box that has failed and the owner has no back ups! (Fool) All I have to work with is the new box (Sane Name as the old box) and have managed to retrive the exchange folders from the old srever. Could someone please tell me the best way to get the data back On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 21:49:02 -0700, AndrewS <AndrewS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a SBS 2003 Box that has failed and the owner has no back ups! (Fool) >All I have to work with is the new box (Sane Name as the old box) and have >managed to retrive the exchange folders from the old srever....

User authentication/protection
I'm a professor and use Excel extensively in my classes. I need to be able to assign Excel projects to my students and have some increased assurance that the students have submitted their own work. I've tried my hand at VBA programming and also simply used track changes. None of these solutions (even the track changes) worked reliably across both mac and pc platforms. I would like some advice about whether what I need from Excel is even possible. I Here's what I need and what I think would work: 1. I'd like to prevent a student from getting someone else's sol...

How do I use the "Correlation" dialog box with multiple ranges?
I'm using data in an Excel 2003 in a workbook, trying to see if there is any correlation between specific offices in which people work and the length of time they have been employed, their age the amount of sickleave taken and/or the amount of sickleave balance they have. I'm attempting to use Data Analysis and the Correlation dialog box. Although the dialog description tells me that I can use multiple comparison ranges, I don't see how to do it. Thanks for any help. Paulf6 - Arrange your data in list (database) format, i.e., names in the top row (Time Employed, Age, ...)...

Sort a 'Protected' sheet
Using Excel 2002, when I try to sort a protected sheet with a macro, I get a dialog box with 'Run time error 1004'. I allowed sorting when I set up the macro. Do I need to 'unprotect' the sheet with the macro and then 'protect' it again after the macro does its sorting? Any suggestions? Thanks, Barney As ALWAYS, post your coding efforts for comments -- Don Guillett Excel MVP SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Barney" <barneypo@no-spambellsouth.net> wrote in message news:srMii.817$yD2.605@bignews1.bellsouth.net... > Using Excel ...

Text box unwanted border
For some reason I know not why, that even though I enter 'No line' in both Line/Border style and Dash style I still have a visible bold dash surrounding the text box. Any help would be appreciated. Did you happen to draw a rectangle around the text box? Try highlighting it, and move the bottom text box adjustment up. If the dashed line didn't move, click on it and delete. Or, Copy the text, and paste it and if the dashed line didn't go with the copy, delete the original. -- Don Vancouver, USA "Meridklt" <Meridklt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in m...