Protect a sheet from Printing within a workbook?

I am making an ordering spreadsheet for my customers.  On one sheet,
there is every style # of THEIRS, with the corresponding style # of
MINE (to preface, my customers refuse to make my life easier by
ordering with our style #s, so I have to make up 20 of these sheets
for various large customers..but thats beside the point).

Again, on one sheet, is about 1000 style #s in two columns (their #
and my #)

The second and third sheets, are the ones that they are going to use
to send in orders to me.  When they email me an order, my computer is
set to automatically print out the xls files attached to them (kind of
like a computer fax machine, etc).  However, I dont want every time
they send an order, to print both the order sheet they want to send to
me, as well as the 15-20 page sheet of style #s.

So I ask: is there a way to set something so that that first sheet
with NOT print?  or on the reverse, set something to ONLY print those
other two?
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Ratedr presented the following explanation :
> I am making an ordering spreadsheet for my customers.  On one sheet,
> there is every style # of THEIRS, with the corresponding style # of
> MINE (to preface, my customers refuse to make my life easier by
> ordering with our style #s, so I have to make up 20 of these sheets
> for various large customers..but thats beside the point).
>
> Again, on one sheet, is about 1000 style #s in two columns (their #
> and my #)
>
> The second and third sheets, are the ones that they are going to use
> to send in orders to me.  When they email me an order, my computer is
> set to automatically print out the xls files attached to them (kind of
> like a computer fax machine, etc).  However, I dont want every time
> they send an order, to print both the order sheet they want to send to
> me, as well as the 15-20 page sheet of style #s.
>
> So I ask: is there a way to set something so that that first sheet
> with NOT print?  or on the reverse, set something to ONLY print those
> other two?

Can you hide the style conversion sheet? If so then it shouldn't print
unless your code forces it to.

--
Garry

gs3102 (378)
4/21/2011 1:45:02 PM
I forgot to mention...

NORMALLY SPEAKING, consumers order from vendors using the vendor item
#s, NOT THEIR #s. That said, don't you think you could set them
straight about how that works so life is easier for both?<g>

--
Garry

gs3102 (378)
4/21/2011 1:50:41 PM
can you explain the hiding the sheet thing further?  they are on two
different sheets on the same workbook, but I only want it to print one
sheet.  Would you recommend I put all of the style conversion sheet on
the same page, but way down at the bottom, and hide it?  will that
print a bunch of blank pages?
Ratedr formulated the question :
> can you explain the hiding the sheet thing further?  they are on two
> different sheets on the same workbook, but I only want it to print one
> sheet.  Would you recommend I put all of the style conversion sheet on
> the same page, but way down at the bottom, and hide it?  will that
> print a bunch of blank pages?

No!

My understanding of your post is there are 3 sheets in the file; 1
sheet contains the styles cross-reference, 2 sheets are for orders. You
can hide the styles sheet so only the 2 order sheets are visible.
Visible sheets are all that print. Is there any reason why you can't
hide the styles sheet? If this sheet is just for reference then why not
put THEIR style #s in a cell dropdown on the order sheet, and use a
formula to insert YOUR style #s in another column.

I'm curious why you have 2 order sheets. It's hard to imagine why you
need 2, and confusing why you say you only print 1 sheet. Are there
instructions for using this file? Can you attach a copy of it to your
reply so we can see what you're trying to accomplish?

--
Garry

gs3102 (378)
4/21/2011 5:48:56 PM
disregard any questions, I figured it out.  There are only 2 sheets:

1 with the cross reference
1 which will be an actual order sheet where they type their style #
and ours comes up, then Im going to have them email it to me.

I dont want to print the cross reference sheet, I only want the order
sheet to go to my factory..but I hid the sheet, and now it is not
going to print.

As far as a few comments ago, in an ideal world, you are correct, they
need to use my style #s...however, for 55 years before me, they have
allowed customers to not have to think, and do whatever they want.  It
might be because less than 20% of my customers are American, and about
that same % have the ability to use a computer (I have customers that
still call up and order because they refuse to buy a fax machine or a
computer)
I guess now my only issue is searching around finding out how to add a
button to the sheet that will automatically email the sheet to a
specific email address

> My understanding of your post is there are 3 sheets in the file; 1
> sheet contains the styles cross-reference, 2 sheets are for orders. You
> can hide the styles sheet so only the 2 order sheets are visible.
> Visible sheets are all that print. Is there any reason why you can't
> hide the styles sheet? If this sheet is just for reference then why not
> put THEIR style #s in a cell dropdown on the order sheet, and use a
> formula to insert YOUR style #s in another column.
>
> I'm curious why you have 2 order sheets. It's hard to imagine why you
> need 2, and confusing why you say you only print 1 sheet. Are there
> instructions for using this file? Can you attach a copy of it to your
> reply so we can see what you're trying to accomplish?
>
> --
> Garry
>
> Free usenet access athttp://www.eternal-september.org
> ClassicVB Users Regroup! comp.lang.basic.visual.misc

All you want to know about emailing from Excel can be found at Ron de Bruin's
site.

http://www.rondebruin.nl/sendmail.htm

Download the SendMail add-in for easiest method.

Gord Dibben     MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 11:13:57 -0700 (PDT), Ratedr <raskinscott@gmail.com> wrote:

>I guess now my only issue is searching around finding out how to add a
>button to the sheet that will automatically email the sheet to a
>specific email address
>>
>> My understanding of your post is there are 3 sheets in the file; 1
>> sheet contains the styles cross-reference, 2 sheets are for orders. You
>> can hide the styles sheet so only the 2 order sheets are visible.
>> Visible sheets are all that print. Is there any reason why you can't
>> hide the styles sheet? If this sheet is just for reference then why not
>> put THEIR style #s in a cell dropdown on the order sheet, and use a
>> formula to insert YOUR style #s in another column.
>>
>> I'm curious why you have 2 order sheets. It's hard to imagine why you
>> need 2, and confusing why you say you only print 1 sheet. Are there
>> instructions for using this file? Can you attach a copy of it to your
>> reply so we can see what you're trying to accomplish?
>>
>> --
>> Garry
>>
>> Free usenet access athttp://www.eternal-september.org
>> ClassicVB Users Regroup! comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
0
phnorton (279)

Query data from same workbook
Hello all - I have an excel workbook that queries external data that is stored on a different workbook but same computer. It works fine and I haven't had any issues with it. But, now I need to make this workbook easy to send to other users. I would like to consolidate the data and put it on the same workbook with my written queries. I figured it would be easy to do, similar to doing a pivot table on sheet1, and the data source on sheet2. This would make it much easier to send out to all the users so it can find the "data source" every time regardless of who's computer ...

Why when i have more than one workbook open and i want to save ch.
When i want to close only one workbook all of them closes and then i have to reopen the ones i want Why? Hi at the top right of the screen do you see two X - the top one should close the application and all workbooks - the bottom one should close only the active workbook does this work for you? if not, does using File / Close from the menu work? Cheers JulieD "Jaykhi" <Jaykhi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6802A15F-D23B-4458-B1DE-8E56E3686B69@microsoft.com... > When i want to close only one workbook all of them closes and then i have > to > ...

Printing Problem
I have a complex report that has sub reports that are of differing sizes for different reports. There is a subform that when it is at the bottom of the page, a line of text (labels and data fields) prints out with half of each letter/number at the bottom of one page and, after repeating the heading for the subform, prints out the bottom half of each letter/number at the top of the next page. I have the property of the sub report set to keep together but this does not work. I have a the heading repeat set to yes for the heading of the subform. I cannot tell it to eject before the sub...

Preview ok
No matter what I try, I can't print using a custome paper size. Somehow between the time I change the settings and hit print, it reverts back to letter sized paper and I am wasting a lot of paper. Can anyone help? I am using 6 Bar paper (6 1/4" x 9 1/4") on a Lexmark 125. What version of Windows and Publisher are you using??? There is no reason whatsoever you cannot print a custom paper size. Set your printer up to the custom page size, then make sure Publisher is set to the correct size, and then go back and make sure the printer driver is still set to the correct siz...

Text in a filled text box not printing on PS printers
I am having problems printing Word 2007 documents to PostScript printers. the problem has been reproduced on different computers. the problem seems to be fixed in Office 2010. On any page in Word with a transparent image or an image with a drop shadow, text in any text box with a color-fill background does not print correctly. The text appears correct on screen and in print preview and prints correctly to a non-PS printer. The problem can be reproduced as follows: 1. Create a new image in MS Paint, save the image as a .jpg. 2. Create a new Word document, insert the new .jpg...

Merging 2 excel sheets with numbers and words
I started with one sheet (using Excel 2003) but took a copy home (on a flash drive)to work on and added data (both numbers and "X" 's) - using Excel 2007. I saved the work done at home so Excel 2003 could "read" it. Then, I did some work on the copy my computer at work (BIG mistake!!) So, the problem is: I have some data on my flash drive copy which is not on the work computer sheet, and vice versa. I want to merge the 2 copies - so I cannot replace either one because data will be lost. Options??? Way to do this? (It seems like it will be easier to "Co...

Print in CRM report asks for username and password
When I am in CRM and under reports, I run a report based on parameters. After entering the parameter selection, the report executes fine. The problem is, now if I want to print and click on print, it asks me for username and password and reselection of parameters? I checked Trusted Connection in DB settings in crystal, but still problem occurs. Any thoughts? ...

Problem with sheet tabs
My MS Office is Office 2003. While open a new workbook in Excel, the sheet tabs are not shown, I need to set by tools -> option and check the sheet tab every time. How to set the workbook opened with the sheet tabs ? Also, there is a extra menu tab "addin" shown at the top menu of workbook, i.e. File, Edit, View, Insert, ...., addin, Help. While addin is clicked, a message of "solution.xls not found" shown. How to fix it ? The first problem: Open a blank workbook, go to Tools - Option and change the settings. Now, close the workbook. Your changes sh...

Printing return address labels
I have XP with Works Suite 2003. Ican't print return address labels. I am using the Microsoft task program and Home Depot labels. I have set it up properly I think and it goes through all the motions of printing labels but will not lay down any ink. The Lexmark W125 printer works great in all other respects except for this label thing. Lexmark told me it sounded like a soft ware problem. They took control remotely and could find nothing wrong. Suggested I contact Microsoft so here I am. If you can heelp I will appreciate it. James On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 14:23:01 -0800, jwmtx ...

When printing a page have a blank space at the bottom
Hi, When I print an A4 page out it has a blank space at the bottom. In print preview it shows as full so can anyone help me get rid of this space please. I am using Publisher 2002. Thanks Could be your printer's margin limitation: Tutorial: Finding your Maximum Print Area http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/horidiag -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "malenbrook" <malenbrook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:88BA7341-CF85-4E0D-B93D-50AC5DD93D60@microsoft.com... > Hi, > When I print an A4 page out it has a blank space at the bottom. In p...

One graphic in my document prints as a black box..?
My publisher document contains numerous pictures/graphics but one picture prints as a black box from my HP Photosmart 8750. It prints fine on my laserjet printers and looks perfect in print preview. Is this a printer issue or a Publisher issue? Can anyone help? You might try changing the graphic file type, i.e., change from a jpg to a gif. This can be easily done with Irvanview. http://www.irfanview.com/ -- Don - Publisher 2000� Vancouver, USA "kellypendergrass" <kellypendergrass@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:77E1BDB8-32A0-4C72-A...

Landscape printing
I cannot change the orientation from potrait to landscape. Other user of these files can change the orientation. Is there a setting that I a not aware of -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com File - Page Set up - Landscape doesn't work?:confused: --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 11:49:07 -0600, ThomasW <<ThomasW.11457t@excelforum-nospam.com>> wrote: >I cannot change the orientation from potrait to landscape. Other users >of these files can change the orientation. Is there a setting that I am >not aware of? You ma...

I cannot get my printer to print any information
I USED EXCEL 2003 TO GENERATE A WORKSHEET WITH DATA. I CANNOT PRINT IT. WHY? The why could be many things, some of which could be exel issues and some of which could be driver issues, network issues, or others. Can you, for instance, print from other applications to your printer? Have you been able to print from Excel in the past and this is a new problem, or is this your first attempt to print from Excel? -- Y "ANDIAMO" wrote: > I USED EXCEL 2003 TO GENERATE A WORKSHEET WITH DATA. I CANNOT PRINT IT. WHY? ...

Printing attachments with Reports
Hi all, Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give; I have a report which contains an attachment field, what I need is for any attachments linked to the report to be printed additionaly to the report when the user clicks a print report button - any ideas? In general I would guess you need to: - save the attachment(s) to disk - use appropriate automation to open/print attachment(s) Here's some code I use to save attachments: 'Open recordset of attachments, save each one to disk and assign to attachments() array For iii = 1 To 9 Attac...

Printing Blanket Purchase Orders
If one or more lines of a blanket PO have been received, why do these lines still appear on the PO printout? Is there a way to exclude received line items from printing on the PO at the next release date? I believe the solution is to modify the report. You would need to conditionally print line items based on the PO type and status. -- Charles Allen, MVP "Elaine" wrote: > If one or more lines of a blanket PO have been received, why do these lines > still appear on the PO printout? Is there a way to exclude received line > items from printing on the PO at the ...

"no more new fonts may be applied to this workbook" ? is problem
When I am working on my charts and select source data this error comes up "no more new fonts may be applied to this workbokk", what's the problem and how can I fix it thanks for you help!!!!!!! Hi, Have a look at Jon Peltier's page on Font problems. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/FixFonts.html Cheers Andy Clopez wrote: > When I am working on my charts and select source data this error comes up > "no more new fonts may be applied to this workbokk", what's the problem and > how can I fix it > > > thanks for you help!!!!!!! > ...

File size for an excel sheet on the web
I have spreadsheet over 11mb that needs to be put out online however I want to reduce the file size for faster browser opening. Can the file be reduced at all and still retain the drop downs I have included? Hi cosmicnorm Check out this site http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unused Don't save the file in two versions but only as Microsoft excel workbook Not as 97-2002 & 5.0/95 workbook(this make your workbook big) -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "cosmicnorm" <cosmicnorm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:762BAA17-A98A-4C01...

how to chart same cell in multiple sheets
I have an excel template with 3 worksheets that I created for others to input information into certain cells on each sheet on a daily basis, and resulting save with similar file names. I want to compare the information between workbooks (plotting) to see if the trend results are going up or down. Is there a way to plot a chart, based upon the information in one specific cell (or same specific group of cells) within multiple sheets (excel 2000 or 97)? I can present the information in various ways. 1) Same cell or group of cells within same named worksheet, over many workbooks (files)....

Printing Form Help
I have set up a database that at the end prints out all reports. I am making a table/form/report that is gonna have optional info on it, which will be accessed from a optional button that can be clicked within the form. If a person clicks this button to enter optional information how can i program access to print that report along with the other reports I have. -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-formscoding/201002/1 Continuing: I guess I could have access print all pages like it does now but is there a way to get it to ...

Page size for 1 to 1 ratio printing
I need to print a .jpg at @ 1 to 1 ratio after editing in Powerpoint. My question is at which dimension of the .jpg do I set the page size to? The ..jpg inserted into Powerpoint is cropped outside the border of the subject matter. Do I set the page size to the .jpg dimensions or to the actual border dimensions of the subject matter that needs to be printed out 1 to 1? Thanks to the forum for the help. In article <C1BFE7FD-A844-4D6A-BBDC-F2CA4066FEF8@microsoft.com>, Houstonvett wrote: > I need to print a .jpg at @ 1 to 1 ratio after editing in Powerpoint. My > ques...

Personal macro workbook and personal.xls
Yet another question on this topic. I cannot create a macro in my personal macro workbook as it comes up with the error message "Personal Macro Workbook in the startup folder must stay open for recording". I have searched c: for the personal.xls file and it doesn't exist - checked start up folder and not there. I have detect and repaired excel. I have checked disabled items. I have checked hide/unhide. Can anyone help me?? am I missing something obvious? Cheers When you looked for personal.xls, did you look for hidden files and through hidden folders? Maybe looking again ...

Sheet Selector
Hi, Where do I find the sheet selector that was promised for signing up fo exceltip.com newsletter? I can't seem to find it anywhere. Thanks, Ily -- Ilya Fran ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Ilya Frank's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3497 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=54715 You will need to email exceltip.com via any contact us links on the site. Where you have posted is purely a mirror to Microsoft's Hosted newsgroups -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Ex...

Creating Multiple charts in an Excel Sheet :Post 2
Hi, I am posting this for the second time.Please provide me some help. I need to create a macro in Access which creates a report in an excel sheet. The excel sheet should contain a number of sheets (Sheet 1,Sheet 2,Sheet 3....).Inside each Sheet around 9 charts have to be displayed. Is it possible to create a macro for the same? Please can somebody help me with some vba code for creating multiple charts in a single excel sheet. Thanks, Sobha You should be able to find something here for the charting piece. http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/chartvba.html "i.sobha@gmail.co...

Print a report without displaying print preview
Hi, Please can someone tell me in a really basic way how can I print a report WITHOUT it also previewing. I'm using 2007 I have several forms which have a print button ( created with the command button wizard, report operations, print report, then relevant report is chosen to print). This works great, and prints the relevant report for the the associated record, however when you click the print button it also displays the print preview and doesn't close it again. This means that until the preview is closed the same thing keeps printing when the button is clicked....

E-mail Print Orientation
I can only print e-mails in memo (landscape) format in Outlook 2007. Is there a way to change this to table (portrait) as a default? I have checked my printer settings and the default is portrait. "Greg" <Greg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2B9719F2-784D-4D6A-B89E-71DE3F49B983@microsoft.com... >I can only print e-mails in memo (landscape) format in Outlook 2007. Is > there a way to change this to table (portrait) as a default? I have checked > my printer settings and the default is portrait. Memo is not the equivalent of landscape ...