Problem with a date and concatenation

I got some data out of one of our in house databases and it comes out
as 01/022206, for example..a missing second "/"  (we need to FIX that
damn databse too)

I have thousands of these rows, and I need to do some analyses by
date, so I need a correct date.

So I was going to use text to columns> fixed width and separate the
01/02 from the 2006, then I would concatenate with
(replacing the actual contents with the cell name of course)

="01/02"&"/"&"2006"

But when I do the text to columns, I get the 2006 but I I don't get
01/02.. I get a serial number(even when formatting as text)  and then
when I contencate I get garbage

Need help
Thanks
Jerry
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

jerry.ranch@pioneer.com wrote:
> I got some data out of one of our in house databases and it comes out
> as 01/022206, for example..a missing second "/"  (we need to FIX that
> damn databse too)
>
> I have thousands of these rows, and I need to do some analyses by
> date, so I need a correct date.
>
> So I was going to use text to columns> fixed width and separate the
> 01/02 from the 2006, then I would concatenate with
> (replacing the actual contents with the cell name of course)
>
> =3D"01/02"&"/"&"2006"
>

> But when I do the text to columns, I get the 2006 but I I don't get
> 01/02.. I get a serial number(even when formatting as text)  and then
> when I contencate I get garbage
>

> Need help
> Thanks
> Jerry

There may, likely are, be better ways, but try this.

  =B7 Assume "01/022006" is in cell B3
  =B7 Enter into C3 =3DRIGHT(B3,4)
  =B7 Enter into D3 =3DLEFT(B3,5)
  =B7 Enter into E3 =3DCONCATENATE(D3,"/",C3)
  =B7 Enter into F3 =3DVALUE(E3)
    (Format F3 as a date)

0
metpx3c (4)
3/27/2006 11:29:23 PM
Superb Martin
I knew there was a way
Jerry

0
ranchjp (32)

Here is fix for Windows file problems

Problem with CFTPConnection

Concatenation question
I am trying to concatenate two fields and then add text in brackets to the end. Here is what I have: StaffFullName = ([Me.LastName] & ", " & [Me.FirstName] & " (Mgr)") I want the end result to be: Smith, Mary (Mgr) How do I achieve this? Thank you, Terri What you've done will work. You can also use the "+" operator if there is a possibility that there will be a missing first name: StaffFullName = ([Me.LastName] & "," & (" "+ [Me.FirstName]) & " (Mgr)") That will avoid an extra spa...

Excel 97 Win XP calc problem?

Date display in Excel

C# Adding Days to a Date
Hello, I have 2 objects: objContract.activeon and objContract.expireson. I am trying to add 364 days to objContract.activeon and assign it to the value of objContractexpireson. ---------------------------------------------------------- // Contract Start Date DateTime dt = DateTime.Now; objContract.activeon = new CrmDateTime(); int iFound = 0; string sTemp = ""; if (objAccount.paymenttermscode.Value == 1) // due on receipt - use Todays Date { objContract.activeon = objInvoice.CFDinvoicedate; } else // ...

Separating Date and Time in a cell

OL2002 Problem : HELP, SOS, MAYDAY

request to solve my problem #5

date function #3

Excel List Sorting Problem (Descending)

Printing problem in booklet format

Option trades with past expiry dates not showing up in Portfolio M
Hello: Money 2006 Portfolio Manager does not show closed option trades that have expiry dates in the past, even when the "show closed positions" is checked. The transactions are still there in the investment accounts, just not visible in portfolio manager. I just called microsoft support and have notified them of the issue and hope that this issue is fixed as an update. If not, it pretty much makes the portfolio manager (and Microsoft Money 2006) useless for option trading investors. "MumbaiBabu" <MumbaiBabu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1...

Money deluxe 2007 password problem
When I update my bank account transactions I get a message saying that my account was not updated because my password is incorrect. I then go into account info and have to update my password. I save the update, but then it happens again sporadically when I open Money at later times. Is there a way to fix this glitch? ...

problem opening up program/file

How do you sort a date range by month?
We are trying to find out how many birthdays fall with in a given month using excel. You could use a helper column, with something like = A2. Format this (Format - Cells - Number - Custom: mmm. Now you can use Data - Subtotals, "At each change in: Month" and "Use function: Count." -- Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com/ ------------------------------------------- "Brewisc13" <Brewisc13@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:44E02AAC-8216-43F5-846F-E981E978E44B@microsoft.com... > We are trying to find out how many birthdays fall with in...

vb date and ssn textbox formats
Ok, so maybe I am crazy...but I have checked "Visual Basic 6 how t program", and "Visual basic 5 teach yourself in 24 hrs" for and exampl or how to format a text box on a user form to accept and display date and Social Security Numbers in the specified format. Thanks Al -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Date TextBox1.Text = Format(Date,"dd mmm yyyy") SSNs TextBox1.Text = Format(mySSN, "000-00-0000") -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mai...

Two calendar dates in one cell..??
I have a Microsoft Publisher calendar document that was created in 2005 that shows the dates Monday - Sunday. When I print it, it will not print out any dates that fall after the fifth week (eg January 2006 it prints up to January 29th but not the 30th or 31st). These are in an "overflow" area. But when I open the calendar part in Word to edit the calendar, it appears normally and that sixth week shows up just fine. I need that sixth week to print OR I need to do the split date feature (I would prefer the split date). How can I set up the numbers in one of those cells so i...

concatenate and then take off last #
What can I add to the following formula so that it will take off the last digit? Because it will always have that zero on the end that I don't want. Thanks! As in: A6: 020605006AA20 =CONCATENATE("", RIGHT(A6,8)) -- Nicki Taylor Hi Try =CONCATENATE("", MID(A6,6,7) Regards Roger Govier NTaylor wrote: > What can I add to the following formula so that it will take off the last > digit? Because it will always have that zero on the end that I don't want. > Thanks! > > As in: > A6: 020605006AA20 > > =CONCATENATE("&quo...