Printing Parts Of A Spreadsheet

Let's say I have a moderately sized spreadsheet, 100 rows by 24 columns.

Let's say that the first five columns contain data that is not going to
change (the annual budget).

And the next 12 are going to have data put in month by month.

And the next seven are going to be summed and processed data from the
previous 12 columns.

The spreadsheet will then have an entire year's worth of data on a single
worksheet.

Printing the whole spreadsheet is fine for the accounting department
beancounters.

But now I want a summary sheet for the suits on mahogany row.  Basically
what I want to do is take the large spreadsheet and concatenate printing
columns 1-5 with columns 18-24, deleting all the monthly detail data in
columns 6-17.

I can set in "print setup" the printing range A1:F100, R1:X100 but that
prints it on two sheets, not side by side in a single sheet.

I can save the spreadsheet month by month, delete columns G -Q and
concatenate that way, but that is clumsy.

I can select columns A-F and R-X and say print selection, but it prints the
whole sheet.

Comments appreciated.

Jim

0
jweir43 (9)
6/18/2009 11:53:46 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

You can keep the 24 columns that you have, with the print area
covering them all, and then just hide columns 6 to 17, so that your
printout will show columns 1 to 5 together with 18 to 24.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jun 19, 12:53=A0am, "RST Engineering - JIm" <jwei...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Let's say I have a moderately sized spreadsheet, 100 rows by 24 columns.
>
> Let's say that the first five columns contain data that is not going to
> change (the annual budget).
>
> And the next 12 are going to have data put in month by month.
>
> And the next seven are going to be summed and processed data from the
> previous 12 columns.
>
> The spreadsheet will then have an entire year's worth of data on a single
> worksheet.
>
> Printing the whole spreadsheet is fine for the accounting department
> beancounters.
>
> But now I want a summary sheet for the suits on mahogany row. =A0Basicall=
> what I want to do is take the large spreadsheet and concatenate printing
> columns 1-5 with columns 18-24, deleting all the monthly detail data in
> columns 6-17.
>
> I can set in "print setup" the printing range A1:F100, R1:X100 but that
> prints it on two sheets, not side by side in a single sheet.
>
> I can save the spreadsheet month by month, delete columns G -Q and
> concatenate that way, but that is clumsy.
>
> I can select columns A-F and R-X and say print selection, but it prints t=
he
> whole sheet.
>
> Comments appreciated.
>
> Jim

0
pashurst (2576)
6/19/2009 12:15:07 AM
On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 16:53:46 -0700, "RST Engineering - JIm"
<jweir43@gmail.com> wrote:

> I can select columns A-F and R-X and say print selection, but it prints=
 the=20
> whole sheet.=20

I've run into this annoyance too from time to time. My solution would
be to copy just the columns I want printed to a separate worksheet
inserted in the same workbook and print out only that worksheet,
making sure that the data have been updated first of course.

--=20
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com
0
gezgin1 (9)
6/19/2009 3:07:13 AM
That would work, but then the next month to enter data I'd have to unhide
all 12 months one at a time.  I haven't yet found an "unhide all" command.

Jim

"Pete_UK" <pashurst@auditel.net> wrote in message
You can keep the 24 columns that you have, with the print area
covering them all, and then just hide columns 6 to 17, so that your
printout will show columns 1 to 5 together with 18 to 24.

Hope this helps.

Pete

0
jweir43 (9)
6/19/2009 4:08:19 PM
That's a thought.  That's a variation on the "copy the whole spreadsheet and
then delete the columns in the middle you don't want" theme.  Sometimes I'm
thinking that Excel ain't all that smart.

Jim

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

0
jweir43 (9)
6/19/2009 4:09:58 PM
"RST Engineering - JIm" <jweir43@gmail.com> wrote in message
> That would work, but then the next month to enter data I'd have to unhide
> all 12 months one at a time.  I haven't yet found an "unhide all" command.

 You would have column 5 next to column 18. Highlight both and click
"unhide". It will open all the hidden columns between 5 and 18.

 Tom

0
Not6048 (4)
6/20/2009 1:00:32 PM
Excellent.  Thank you, sir.

Jim

"Tom" <Not@chance.com> wrote in message

> "RST Engineering - JIm" <jweir43@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> That would work, but then the next month to enter data I'd have to unhide
>> all 12 months one at a time.  I haven't yet found an "unhide all"
>> command.
>>

> You would have column 5 next to column 18. Highlight both and click
> "unhide". It will open all the hidden columns between 5 and 18.
>
> Tom

0
jweir43 (9)

How do I sort a Spreadsheet?
I have a simple spreadsheet with multiple rows and columns. Columns contain: Date, Text, and numbers. The information in the rows must be the same after sorting. How do I sort the spreadsheet by the column(s): dates, text, and/or numbers and insure that the original information in the rows stays the same? Select the whole range before you invoke the sort. Don't leave Excel to guess which rows & columns you wish to use. -- David Biddulph "Garrette" <Garrette@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9805D749-7906-4273-B609-8403AC75C73E@microsoft.com... &g...

Jump to part of Validation List
I have a cell with Validation from a list. How do I make it so that when the user hits say the 'h' key when the validation list is displayed, the list jumps to the first entry that begins with 'h' ? *Note: Posted this same question in Excel Programming, but then found this forum. I thought the question may have been too basic for the techie programmers. You can't do it with Data|Validation. But maybe a combobox from the Control toolbox toolbar would work for you.... Metro wrote: > > I have a cell with Validation from a list. How do I make it so that when t...

EXCEL SPREADSHEETS #3
TRYING TO SET UP SPREETSHEET TO MONITOR CASHIERS OVER SHORT Let us know what you have tried and what parts you are stuck on and we can then give you some specific help. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission :-) ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- "LADY" <LADY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6...

Print email message with list of attachments

Journal Receipts...printing a batch of receipts
Is there any easy way to print a set of receipts from any given batch (or time period). Instead of simply printing the receipts one at a time, I would like to print all the desired receipts in one shot ( I may need to print over a hundred) If RMS does not have functionality to do this, Is there a way to do it outside of RMS? From what I understand, RMS retains all receipt information by storing a compressed image of the particular receipt transaction. Where is this image kept? Is it in the database, or on a separate file? Thanks, Jack ...

How do I keep a transparent wordart transparent thruout printing.
I am working in Publisher and have a wordart that I have made transparent. However, when I print it, it prints in full color although it shows transparent on the screen. I have Canon printers. By default, WordArt's background is transparent. Is it the wording that is printing full color? Are you filling the WordArt with *No Fill?* -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Curly" <Curly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E40FC541-679F-4483-8BD7-2854E56195BC@microsoft.com... >I am working in Publisher and have a wordart that I have made tra...

Can I stretch an Excel document vertically when printing?
I want to print a document in Excel. I have shrunk it to one page wide but now it is too flat. I want to stretch it so it fills the whole page. Is this possible cause I can't seem to find a setting? Maybe you should change the page layout to landscape and see what that looks like. Regards Trevor "jstratman33" <jstratman33@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E23E8AF4-1D1D-4558-9FD7-5A8F556C785F@microsoft.com... >I want to print a document in Excel. I have shrunk it to one page wide but > now it is too flat. I want to stretch it so it fills the who...

Unable to print to shared printer with normal user accounts
I recently updated one of the client workstations on my network. This workstation hosted two shared printers, a Dell 948 and a HP 1600 Color Laserjet. Both are connected via USB. Prior to upgrading, any user was able to print to either printer from any workstation. However since I have upgraded, all users can print to the Dell from any workstation, but the only users which can print to the HP are the Administator account or user accounts with admin privledges, from workstations other than the one the HP is connected. When a non-admin user trys to print from another workstation the ...

How to print page # 1 only in Outlook 2007?
We are using Outlook 2007 in Vista. How do we just print page #1 of multiple page email message? How do we set Outlook to print first page first, instead of currently printing last page first? How do we page one particular page in a multiple page email massage? Thank you. First page last or first is a setting in your printer's options, not OL. In my HP printer, it's under Preferences, Layout, Front to Back. It might be different in yours. You can print only one page or a selection if it's in HTML format. Plain text is memo style--prints all or nothing. To print one page, e...

photos and clip art won't print
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Power PC Neither photos nor clip art are printing on my document. I have them as inline as suggested on earlier help items, and have followed everything as usual - but no photos! Help Are both Office (12.2.4) & OS X (10.4.11) fully updated? Have you checked the printer mfr's web site for an updated driver? Do the images display in Print Preview? How about the Quick Preview in the Print dialog or if you click the button to view the document in Apple's Preview app? Do they show up if tou create a PDF? ...

Printing Excel Charts Pasted into Powerpoint
Often, our chart dates end up as blacked out areas on our HP Color LaserJet 5550dtn printer (not on our HP 1200 LaserJet). Any solution other than resizing fonts in Excel and pasting again? ...

1 of 4 charts won't print
I have a worksheet with data information tables on top, then 4 charts underneath. the data table prints, the first chart prints, the second does not and the third and fourth print. the second chart doesn't show on print preview but does show on page break preview.Thanks in advance! Janet Janet - Hold the shift key and select the nonprinting chart, so the chart is highlighted by white handles instead of black ones. Go to Format menu, Object... and on the Properties tab, make sure Print Object is checked. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutori...

Embedding A Spreadsheet Into A WORD Document, & Updating Of Question ?
Hello: New at this. Have created a normal "stand-alone" Excel spreadsheet, but would now like to embed it into a WORD document. Is there any way to embed an Excel spreadsheet into a WORD text document, and yet have it possible to update the spreadsheet from within this WORD document ? If so, how please ? Much thanks, Bob Open word. Insert|Object|Create from File Tab Browse for your file. But you have a choice to make. There's a "Link to File" option. If you check it, then any changes to the workbook--from within Word or excel will be reflected in your workbook...

Footer printing in wrong colour
The footer in some of my Excel spredsheets prints the first page's footer in a different colour to the rest of the document. In this case i set all footers to be Dark Blue, Text 2. When I come to print preview it shows the first footer as being in Black and the rest in the Dark Blue, Text 2. This is until I zoom in on the page 1 footer, then it turns to the colour it's supposed to be. Annoyingly though, when I come to print it the first page is printed with the footer in black and the rest in the colour I set it to. Any ideas? ...

The text in the inserted text box doesn't print
When I type text into the text box and then print, the added text doesn't show on the printed copy It is possible the added text doesn't fit the text box, have you tried expanding the text box? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "SS" <SS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8D633F32-E54D-452E-B2F3-427E69BBF8BA@microsoft.com... > When I type text into the text box and then print, the added text doesn't > show on the printed copy ...

How do I print numbered tickets using a business card format?
Printing tickets using publisher. How do I get the numbers to advance per card? I need to print 250. You need to setup a consecutive numbered data base to merge from. There is an Excel way here, it is about the same in Access http://msauer.mvps.org/misc.htm -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "pattyv" <pattyv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EA0BEB24-39BB-4E0E-81A4-5266E6CF1242@microsoft.com... > Printing tickets using publisher. How do I get the numbers to advance per > card? I nee...

print w2-g forms (gambling)
Can Great Plains print w2-g forms? Are there any 3rd party solutions to do this? John ...

How can I print an organization chart across 15 pages correctly?
In Excel 2003 with SP2, I created an organization chart that spanned seven pages across. The printout appeared shrunk at the start and finish. I expanded the chart to 15 pages in order to create larger-sized boxes. This looks good on the screen, but the squashing effect still happens at the beginning and end, and the fact many pages are duplicated in the center of the chart is very obvious. In both printouts the center of the chart is duplicated at the expense of crushing the sides, while the screen correctly displays evenly-sized boxes. I could not find the maximum size limit for ...

Printing set up
I've got a 28-column spreadsheet that I want to print landscape on legal size paper. I've set the print area to the exact size of the spreadsheet & set all the margins to zero. Under Page Setup I've set the scaling to Fit To 1 page wide by 1 page tall. With these settings I'd expect the spreadsheet to fill the page. Instead there are large margins all around. The spreadsheet could print significantly larger, but I cannot make it do that. How can I make the spreadsheet fill the sheet (be as large as possible?) Thanks, Dave I have had this kind of problem occasionally ...

Print an entire folder of messages
I save my messages in folders..I would like to print an entire folder without having to select one message at a time..there are alot of emails in there and it would be quite time consuming. thanks -- Rick Folders within Windows Live Mail or user created folders in Windows Explorer ? -- ...winston ms-mvp mail "Rick" <Rick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:207E46C7-C7F2-4EC5-A752-4D01E100F0D7@microsoft.com... > I save my messages in folders..I would like to print an entire folder > without having to select one message at a time..there ...

Printing Business Cards #4
How can I print my business cards to Avery template 8371 from Publisher? You push the print button - I would think. What other reason why they give you a print button if they did not intend you to use it. Your post is about as intelligent as my reply - hopeless to useless. What version of Windows and Publisher are you using? What size are Avery 8371. Are they 85 x 55mm which is the standard size for business cards? -- The US should free all those illegally held prisoners they are torturing, abusing and denying human rights being held at Guantanamo Bay. Hi Chuck G (anonymous@discuss...

document prints out negative in pub after save
When I change a document in publisher and save it , the document prints out in a negative print Have you checked your printer settings? Do you mean just black, grey, and white or literally dark instead of light and light instead of dark? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "Lilly 1" <Lilly 1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0FF25F67-F647-47FE-973D-E5E7023491F8@microsoft.com... > When I change a document in publisher and save it , the document prints > out > in a negative ...

Printing comments
Is there anyway to printout all comments on a worksheet? Hi JimA! File > Page Setup > Sheet Tab Select the Option for Comments. But rather strangely, this option doesn't seem to be available if you go to Setup through File > Print Preview > Setup Sheet Tab -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia Public Holidays Saturday: Bosnia-Herzegovina (Petrovdan); Canada, Northern Ireland, and Eire (Orangemen's Day); Kiribati (Independence Day); Malaysia (Birthday of the Yang di-Pertua Negi Pulau Pinang); Micronesia (Micronesian Day); Sao Tome & Principe (Indepe...

Need really fast method to sort data for my part numbering spread
I have a part numbering spreadsheet for my manufacturing business. Columns are: Part #, Description, Mfg P/N, Mfg Name, Cost, weblink, etc. There is one header row with above descriptions. I typically need to sort by Part # or Description. Is there are really quick way to run the sort function. I love it to be one or two mindless clicks. Thanks, Chris What happened when you tried it? Sort will remember the parameters you give it, so after you've done it the first time, you should be able to repeat it with one or two clicks. If you need further help, post back with...

Printing column area
I would like to print a column area in repeated pages (not the whole column). Any ideas? It's not totally clear to me what you're asking. But if it is, how do you limit the print area to a specific range, first select the range and then use File, Print Area, Set Print Area. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP Well that is how to print a certain range but what I am asking is that I want a certain part of the column to be repeated in all the pages. By clicking Page Setup/Sheet and ticking the option "columns to repeat at left" it takes the whole column and not a part of it. I just wa...