Printing Excel sheets

Hi,

On my Excel sheet I have only 10 rows in use, but for some reason the totaal sheet on my screen is
about 1000 rows, from which 990 are empty.

But what's worse, when I print the sheet I get 1000 rows paper output, in stead of 10 rows.

How can I get rid of all these empty rows. Not only for printing but also on my screen.

Some help would be nice !

Thanks !

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

This problem is caused when a spread sheet which had say, 1000 columns by
1000 rows is reduced by deleting columns and rows.  For some reason deleting
columns and rows doesn't remove the internal flag of the position of the
last column / row.

To remove this problem -

go to the lowest right-hand cell.  Highlight everything to the right of that
and click on <Edit><Delete>

go to the lowest right-hand cell.  Highlight everything below that (at least
1000) and click on <Edit><Delete>

Save the file

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

"Maarten" <Anthony@work.nl> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> On my Excel sheet I have only 10 rows in use, but for some reason the
> totaal sheet on my screen is
> about 1000 rows, from which 990 are empty.
>
> But what's worse, when I print the sheet I get 1000 rows paper output, in
> stead of 10 rows.
>
> How can I get rid of all these empty rows. Not only for printing but also
> on my screen.
>
> Some help would be nice !
>
> Thanks !

0
Bill
4/5/2006 11:33:39 AM
Debra Dalgleish shows techniques to reset that last used cell:
http://contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unused

--

Dave Peterson
0

Steve_H

> Debra Dalgleish shows techniques to reset that last used cell:
> http://contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unused
>
> Maarten wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On my Excel sheet I have only 10 rows in use, but for some reason the
>> totaal sheet on my screen is
>> about 1000 rows, from which 990 are empty.
>>
>> But what's worse, when I print the sheet I get 1000 rows paper output, in
>> stead of 10 rows.
>>
>> How can I get rid of all these empty rows. Not only for printing but also
>> on my screen.
>>
>> Some help would be nice !
>>
>> Thanks !
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
Steve
4/6/2006 12:38:35 PM
On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 13:07:10 +0200, "Maarten" <Anthony@work.nl> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>On my Excel sheet I have only 10 rows in use, but for some reason the totaal sheet on my screen is
>about 1000 rows, from which 990 are empty.
>
>But what's worse, when I print the sheet I get 1000 rows paper output, in stead of 10 rows.
>
>How can I get rid of all these empty rows. Not only for printing but also on my screen.
>
>Some help would be nice !
>
>Thanks !

If you are only wanting to print the data that you have entered, then
just take your mouse and highlight all of the affected rows and
columns and then goto "files" scroll down to "Print Area" and select
"Set Print Area". That should solve your dilema.
0
jbenton (2)

Is there an Excel template to reconcile business bank statments?
I am looking for a template that will simplify the bank reconciliation process? Acct Rep wrote: > I am looking for a template that will simplify the bank reconciliation process? How do you mean "simplify"? You will still need to manually tick off the bank statements against the cashbook entries. If you're looking for an AUTOMATED bank rec, then you're looking at comparisons of lists, and that gets complicated if (say) the bank has entered a cheque number correctly but with the wrong amount or vice-versa. It DOES happen - I've seen it. Also that assumes you can d...

Excel 2007 Pivot Table Question
Is there any programming way to change data sources within a Pivot Table, we need to switch from a UNC to a drive letter? Thanks in advance ...

How to put in alphabetic list automatically in Excel Spreadsheet?
I am cataloging my DVD's and would like to know how to put the list into alphabetical order once they are on the spreadsheet. I have the list created, but cannot for the life of me remember how to do it, if it is possible that is!! Yes, it has been a long time between uses of the application. Many thanks for any help anyone can offer. Helen :-) Boom wrote on Tue, 11 Jul 2006 03:16:02 -0700: BSL> I am cataloging my DVD's and would like to know how to put BSL> the list into alphabetical order once they are on the BSL> spreadsheet. I have the list created, but cannot for...

excel-i want it to go to a certain cell when i 1st open the sheet
when i open a spreadsheet that i created, how do i get the cursor to go to the cell i want it to.. in this spreadsheet i will have to enter information in different columns and i want it to automatically go to the first cell under the first column. how can i do this? Hi Lindsey, I can think of two options off the top of my head: 1) Go to the cell, save and close. The next time you open the workbook, the active cell will be the same cell. 2) Use Excel Events. This requires programming Excel using VBA and when done properly can be extremely useful !!! The desired cell will always be t...

BUG?: Excel scatter chart: will not plot x-values
I am trying to make a simple scatter plot. There are two columns of data. Excel will not plot values on the x- axis, only categories. I have entered the ranges for x and y values correctly, and the chart wizard shows it; yet, the chart comes out with the x-axis showing only the points numbered in the order they are entered in the spreadsheet. Oddly enough, if only one y-value is included, it plots properly; the x-axis correctly shows the range of x-values entered, and the single data point shows up at its proper xy location. as soon as I expand the y-range to more points, the x-axis r...

In Excel, how can I print a long list on 1 page in multiple colum.
I have a long (700 rows) list in an Excel worksheeet. I would like to print the whole list on one page by making the font smaller and by printing it on multiple columns on the page. How can I set this up? Thanks Check out this David McRitchie link for the columns question: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/snakecol.htm "Chuck" wrote: > I have a long (700 rows) list in an Excel worksheeet. I would like to print > the whole list on one page by making the font smaller and by printing it on > multiple columns on the page. How can I set this up? > > Thanks ...

How can you attach an e-mail into an excel worksheet?
I want to attach an e-mail into an excel worksheet. The formula I have seen is =EMBED("Package","") But not sure how I can do it. Any ideas? Go to Insert - Object, From file. Navigate to the email you want to embed. Note the options who can choose to change icon or how it is links. You can then double-click on the object to access the email. -- Best Regards, Luke M *Remember to click "yes" if this post helped you!* "humdul" wrote: > I want to attach an e-mail into an excel worksheet. The formula I have seen > is =EMBED(&qu...

Office 97 to 2003: Excel: enter data w/fixed 2 decimal. 2000. be.
When I enter number "2000." I get 20.00 - yes, set decimals at 2 but earlier excel would accept change if you entered decimal with number. this is slowing down a budget prep and I'd sure like some help - online and tutorials say "enter decimal" but this is not working. what am I doing wrong? Hi Confirmed, until v ersion XP you could finish off with a decimal separator. This behavior changed with Excel 2003, I haven't seen any documentation on the reasons. "Enter decimal" is like 2000.0 which is just as many keystrokes as 200000 but slower. If you d...

How to print header all page
I create assetNo header (difference number of record for each assetNo) in my report and set keep together for each assetNo. If data in any assetNo more than one page, My report does not print assetNo header on next page. Where am I wrong. Nova wrote: >I create assetNo header (difference number of record for each assetNo) in my >report and set keep together for each assetNo. >If data in any assetNo more than one page, My report does not print assetNo >header on next page. To get a group header to appear on each page in addition to the start of the group, you need to set t...

Excel Programming Help.........
I have written an excel spreadsheet. There are six columns which signify the days of the week on one worksheet. I have an allotment to use per week. Sometimes my weeks are made up of 6 days, sometimes 5 or 4 or 3 or 2 or 1. I have successfully written the program to spread the allotment among the correct number of days. Sometimes the day itself varies. Example, Sat, Mon, Tue or Sat, Tue, Wed, Thur, Fri or Wed, Thur, Fri. I have included these calculations as well. And the allotment is equally split among the days. Now I wish to be able to assign variable percents to each day, so that...

Saving Excel with ActiveX controls
Hi, I have some custom activeX controls. I am able to add these controls in Excel (2000) using Control toolbar and they work fine. But when I try to save the Excel file along with these controls, I get the following message. "Microsoft Excel cannot save this workbook because the control named QIChartControl1 does not support saving. To save the workbook, delete this control and then try save again". I tried saving Excel file by deleting just the above control and it worked fine. Any ideas on what could be wrong with the above Activex control? Thanks. ...

Linking to an Excel Pivot Table
Does anyone know how to break the link between an Excel pivot table that uses Access as it's data source without recreating the pivot table? It links to a network drive at work, I need to relink to my local drive but it keeps looking for my "m" drive on my network at work. ...

How can I get excell to ignore line breaks?
I need to be able to have html source in a cell in Excel. My html source has line breaks and blank lines that I'd like to keep in tact. Is there a way to do this? Long explanation: I have to create a file with product information and then save this in a tab delimited file for import into a shopping cart system. There are quite a few fields and all of them are simple except the description field. For the descriptions I have written the html in such a way that you can actually read it ;-), and I'd like to keep it that way (with the line breaks and blank lines and spaces at b...

Printing problem #14
How can I print screen shot of my worksheet? How can I print only formulas of my workbook at one go? I have formatted my work sheet as tabular form ,user friendly query type,can I print it the same way as it appesrs in the screen? How can I print screen shot of my worksheet? paste it into any of the office suite... for example, after taking the print screen shot (screen shot) paste it into the excel sheet (a new one) and then trim accordingly... i hope i understood ur question correctly :) How can I print only formulas of my workbook at one go? ALT+T+O -> VIEW -> tick the FORMULA...

Visible row index after applying a filter in Excel
Does anyone know an excel function that will give the index of the visible row after filtering or sorting a table? Say, I have a table like this: type time place c 12:20 1 f 12:40 2 c 13:30 3 f 14:20 4 Table is sorted with respect to time, and place refers to the index of each row in this order. Now, if I filter by type 'f', the table would still be sorted, but would have only two visible rows. In such a case, I'd like the place row to be like [#NA, 1, #NA, 2], reflecting that rows 1 and 3 are invisible, first place is ro...

Smartlist export to Excel
-- When exporting large volumes of data to Excel using GP 9.0 we encounter this error: Unhandled object exception: Error calling method 'Cells' EXCEPTION_CLASS_OBJECT_EXCEPTION Unhandled object exception: Unable to access field 'Value' EXCEPTION_CLASS_OBJECT_EXCEPTION I was told by GP support that this is a documented bug that is scheduled to be fixed. Does anyone know if this has in fact been fixed in version 10.0? I have a client that claims they will not upgrade until this is fixed Ladd Sustar Why not do a "test" upgrade for them and see if it works? Ther...

Converting Lotus 1-2-3 charts to Excel
I am in the process of converting Lotus 1-2-3 spreadsheets which have charts in them to Excel. After starting Excel and opening the Lotus file in Excel. I do a 'save as' and give it the workbook format. The charts look almost identical. I had to change colors, change some ranges, etc. The one thing I can not figure out is the following: The original Lotus file had the years 1992 through 2003 on the Y-axis. The bar for 1992 was directly above the 1992 and indented about 1/2 inch from the vertcal x-axis. In Excel the chart has the years 1992 through 2003 on the Y-axis BUT the ...

Scambled print order?
I have sevral files that are sent to me from another division to be printed on our large production color copier. We can print the same file to our BW copier and have no problems, however when the file is printed to the color machine it scrambles the page order. The stange thing is we have this proble with two out 5 or 6 files sent to us. They are all made in the same version of excel so it's not a version problem. Any ideas? Sound like a printer driver to me. you need to have your IS guy re-install the correct driver for that printer. if you are not having problems with the ...

Disappearing cell values in Excel 2007
Hello all, I've recently been experiencing an issue where as I scroll through a spreadsheet rows of cell values will appear to be blank. When I select the cell, the value is still present in the formula bar but only reappears when I double click on the cell or scroll either up or down so that the cell is not shown and then scroll back to the cell. I've experienced this is file ranging in size from 400-700 KB and there doesn't seem to be a pattern as to what cells or rows it will affect at any given time. Is this most likely a memory issue? Thank you, Andrea On Thu, 5 Mar 2009 ...

How do I create a tachograph in Excel?
How do I create a tachograph in Excel? I have been told that it is possible, but it is called soething different!! Hi, You can create a circular (polar or radar) plot using a scattergraph chart with polar coordinates. E.g. if a tachograph has 24 hours, each hour is 15 degrees. Initially it is easiest to have the clock start on the right (i.e. where x=1, y=0 on an x,y graph) , so this would be midnight (0 degrees by convention). The clock in this instance would go anti-clockwise from 0 degrees back to 0 (i.e. 360). E.g. 10 am would be 150 degrees (top-left quadrant), noon would be 180 ...

Printing just one page?
I would like to print just one page in my publication, at times. When I hit file, print, I do not have a print option. Print merge, print preview are all that is available. Can anyone help? Please?? What version Publisher? When you are ready to print one page, there should be check off for "current page". Are you expanding the File menu? Right-click any toolbar (Publisher 2002), customize, toolbars tab, check *Always show full menus." What happens if you ctrl+p or click the print icon on the toolbar? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msau...

Install Excel XP and 2003 on same Computer
I have an Excel spreadsheet that was done in 2003 with data list, XP does not see the drop down arrows that was created in 2003. I have 2003 at my office and XP at home, how can I install 2003 on my home computer to finish the sheet with out uninstalling XP. You can install both versions on the same machine. There's information in the following MSKB article: How to run multiple versions of Excel on the same computer http://support.microsoft.com/kb/214388 Without installing Excel 2003 on your home computer, you can see the dropdown arrows if you apply an AutoFilter to the list. ...

Why is my Excel spreadsheet's sorting not being remembered?
I have a workbook with multiple spreadsheets. As I change/add data, I resort these sheets. One of my spreadsheets defaults the sorting criteria I used in the previous sort and remembers that I use headers. The other spreadsheet used to do the same, but now does not 'remember/default' any of my previous sort information or the fact that the spreadsheet contains headers. Is there a setting that I can change so that this sorting information is remembered? Thanks much, Lisa ...

How to print Outlook schedule/calendar
I want to print a schedule (day, week, month) that I can use in a planner (Franklin, compact size). I can buy a hole punch that will punch the correctly spaced holes for the planner. What I don't know how to do is print out the schedule in a size that can fit in the planner though. If anyone could tell me how to do this , it would be much appreciated. Thank you. Brian ...

Printing a Publisher 2002 document in color
I can't figure out why a new file I created in Publisher 2002 doesn't print in color on my HP Deskjet printer. Other Publisher documents I've created in the past are printing in color. I've even set the main default preferences on the printer for color. Any ideas? Thanks! No idea whatsoever, as this will not be an issue of Publisher, it will be an issue of your printer driver. See if HP have a later version of the printer driver on their website for download. -- After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from Jon <anonymous@discussi...