Prepending values in a column with "\"

I would like to prepend all text values in a column with "\". What is the
easiest way to do this if there are thousands of rows?

0
someone528 (62)
9/25/2007 12:40:55 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Assuming column A has the text values.

In B1 enter  ="\" & A1

Double-click on fill handle of B1 to copy down.

Copy then paste special(in place)>values>OK>Esc.

Delete original column A if desired.

Or you could use a macro to do in place with no formulas.

Sub Add_Text_Left()
Dim cell As Range
Dim moretext As String
Dim thisrng As Range
    On Error GoTo endit
    Set thisrng = Range(ActiveCell.Address & "," & Selection.Address) _
            .SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants, xlTextValues)
    moretext = InputBox("Enter your Text")
    For Each cell In thisrng
        cell.Value = moretext & cell.Value
    Next
    Exit Sub
endit:
    MsgBox "only formulas in range"
End Sub

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 17:40:55 -0700, "Bill Fuller" <someone@nospam.com> wrote:

>I would like to prepend all text values in a column with "\". What is the
>easiest way to do this if there are thousands of rows?

0
Gord

I am making a charts with weird X-values for my Ecology cl\
i am making a chart with weird X-values. Instead of single, whole numbers, I need each value to be as follows: 1-2, 3-5, 6-10, 11-15, etc. Please help me!! My chart keeps going to whole numbers instead and its been driving me crazy for days! What chart type are you using? If you want your X-axis to be category labels, rather than actual numbers, you may find that a line chart (or one of the other chart types) is more suitable than an XY (scatter) chart, if the latter is what you are currently trying. -- David Biddulph "Holly" <Holly@discussions.microsoft.com> wro...

Prepending values in a column with "\"
I would like to prepend all text values in a column with "\". What is the easiest way to do this if there are thousands of rows? Assuming column A has the text values. In B1 enter ="\" & A1 Double-click on fill handle of B1 to copy down. Copy then paste special(in place)>values>OK>Esc. Delete original column A if desired. Or you could use a macro to do in place with no formulas. Sub Add_Text_Left() Dim cell As Range Dim moretext As String Dim thisrng As Range On Error GoTo endit Set thisrng = Range(ActiveCell.Address & "," &...

Unexpected value in metabase smtpsvc\1\domain
I deleted all the domain keys and the db2mb key as suggested, and when I restarted the exchange services and the smtp service, the metabase was correctly repopulated. I also got one I was not expecting: stirlingadvisory dot com. I do not have a recipient policy for stirlingadvisory. I have an SMTP connector that has stirlingadvisory in the address space. Should I get rid of all my recipient policies? Any comments? Single Exchange 2003 in native mode on Windows Server 2003 (david) "david epsom dot com dot au" <david@epsomdotcomdotau> wrote: >I deleted all the domai...