Possible to shade cell slightly but that only shows up on screen + not printout? [XL2003]

I have a form that is built in Excel that is quite challenging to fill
in because fillable cells aren't always readily apparent.  Since it's
a form that although filled out on the computer is to be printed out,
it has many empty cells that do not require data entry and that are
just the "background" white of the document.  Is there a feature in
Excel that would allow us to colour in those "background" parts of the
form in something like a light grey that only shows up on the screen
as that colour yet that prints out as clear of colour (white, in other
words) so that it looks like an ordinary page without the grey?

Thanks.  :oD
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

The "draft" option in the print dialog does that.

StargateFanNotAtHome wrote:

> I have a form that is built in Excel that is quite challenging to fill
> in because fillable cells aren't always readily apparent.  Since it's
> a form that although filled out on the computer is to be printed out,
> it has many empty cells that do not require data entry and that are
> just the "background" white of the document.  Is there a feature in
> Excel that would allow us to colour in those "background" parts of the
> form in something like a light grey that only shows up on the screen
> as that colour yet that prints out as clear of colour (white, in other
> words) so that it looks like an ordinary page without the grey?
>
> Thanks.  :oD

0
birelan (531)
7/23/2009 5:46:46 PM
On Jul 23, 1:46=A0pm, Bob I <bire...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> The "draft" option in the print dialog does that.

Wow, was that ever tough to find!  First off, as everyone most likely
knows, the print dialogue box can vary a lot depending on printer
drivers.  I was so very dubious about the above but went and searched
through all the many tabs of the 3 printers that I have installed but
I didn't find anything that helped.  Draft paper doesn't do the job,
so discarded that.  I persevered, however.  Nothing worse than to be
given a small hint of what to do but not how to find it! <g>

Finally, after going back to searching the archives, this ng post gave
me an inkling at least on how to get to this draft option:
http://groups.google.ca/group/microsoft.public.excel/browse_thread/thread/7=
05e410140bf94ba/5f72536f2c0e374f?hl=3Den&lnk=3Dgst&q=3Ddraft+page+setup#5f7=
2536f2c0e374f
The responder asks:  "At File>Page Setup>Sheet have you go "Black and
White" or "Draft Quality" checkmarked? "

Sure enough, under Page Setup (vs. print properties), there is an
option to tick on "Draft Quality" that I'd never seen or used before.
Guess it's never come up <g>.  I tried that.  Unfortunately, all it
did was take away _all_ the lines and all the cell colours that were
needed in the printout and did nothing to help fill the form out in
terms of what is visible on the screen.  It actually made the screen
version much more difficult to work with than the initial problem!
<g>  Too funny.

Does anyone know if there is an option or setting somewhere that would
mimic a cell background colour that would affect only what is seen on
the screen but not the printout?  That would allows us to leave _only_
the fillable cells as white with all other non-fillable cells with
some sort of colour that wouldn't show up in the printout but didn't
affect the cells that _do_ have background colours that need to show
up in the finall hard copy.

Thank you!  :oD
Perhaps instead, put a default "X" in the cells that require input?

StargateFanNotAtHome wrote:
> On Jul 23, 1:46 pm, Bob I <bire...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>The "draft" option in the print dialog does that.
>

> Wow, was that ever tough to find!  First off, as everyone most likely
> knows, the print dialogue box can vary a lot depending on printer

> Thank you!  :oD

0
birelan (531)
7/24/2009 2:17:32 PM
On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 09:42:31 -0700 (PDT), StargateFanNotAtHome
<StargateFanNotAtHome@mailinator.com> wrote:

>I have a form that is built in Excel that is quite challenging to fill
>in because fillable cells aren't always readily apparent.  Since it's
>a form that although filled out on the computer is to be printed out,
>it has many empty cells that do not require data entry and that are
>just the "background" white of the document.  Is there a feature in
>Excel that would allow us to colour in those "background" parts of the
>form in something like a light grey that only shows up on the screen
>as that colour yet that prints out as clear of colour (white, in other
>words) so that it looks like an ordinary page without the grey?
>
>Thanks.  :oD

I found the answer that works well enough.

I knew there must be some way to get non-default cell colours in Excel
but all these years I never knew how (stumbled upon some really kewl
colours in a spreadsheet last year).

I kept searching and I found a reference that led me to TOOLS >
OPTIONS > COLOR where we can "overwrite" one of the available colours
to get a custom one (via fine-tuning the colour wheel in the custom
tab of the COLOR options box that comes up).  Through trial and error
found a colour that showed up on the screen but didn't impact the
printout much as I used a very light grey.  This seemed the best
compromise.

It's just, imagine, a contract worker comes along and heavily modifies
your spreadsheet ... I mean, the gall, right?  But the other side of
the coin is that I'm the admin for the dept and they all come to me to
email them this request form and every single one of them have had
troubles with it as I've been having to correct where the information
should go before sending the request offsite for processing.  Not
good.

By merging some cells, locking up the ones that don't need to be
filled, colouring the ones very slightly that do, and then protecting
the sheet without a password, the form is now as user friendly as it
can be without my having impacted the spreadsheet in any major way.
It's all cosmetic.  Yet the users will be able to use it much more
easily.

Thanks.  :oD

Another way is to duplicate the form in another section of the worksheet and
make all values in the duplicate equal to the original NOT with the shade
formatting you want in the original.

Then define a print range equal to the duplicate form so that is what gets
printed, not the one you fill in and see on screen.

The duplicate could be locked and the sheet protected so one cannot change
the duplicate's formatting.

Eric

"StargateFan" <IDon'tAcceptSpam@NoJunkMail.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 09:42:31 -0700 (PDT), StargateFanNotAtHome
> <StargateFanNotAtHome@mailinator.com> wrote:
>
>>I have a form that is built in Excel that is quite challenging to fill
>>in because fillable cells aren't always readily apparent.  Since it's
>>a form that although filled out on the computer is to be printed out,
>>it has many empty cells that do not require data entry and that are
>>just the "background" white of the document.  Is there a feature in
>>Excel that would allow us to colour in those "background" parts of the
>>form in something like a light grey that only shows up on the screen
>>as that colour yet that prints out as clear of colour (white, in other
>>words) so that it looks like an ordinary page without the grey?
>>
>>Thanks.  :oD
>
> I found the answer that works well enough.
>
> I knew there must be some way to get non-default cell colours in Excel
> but all these years I never knew how (stumbled upon some really kewl
> colours in a spreadsheet last year).
>
> I kept searching and I found a reference that led me to TOOLS >
> OPTIONS > COLOR where we can "overwrite" one of the available colours
> to get a custom one (via fine-tuning the colour wheel in the custom
> tab of the COLOR options box that comes up).  Through trial and error
> found a colour that showed up on the screen but didn't impact the
> printout much as I used a very light grey.  This seemed the best
> compromise.
>
> It's just, imagine, a contract worker comes along and heavily modifies
> your spreadsheet ... I mean, the gall, right?  But the other side of
> the coin is that I'm the admin for the dept and they all come to me to
> email them this request form and every single one of them have had
> troubles with it as I've been having to correct where the information
> should go before sending the request offsite for processing.  Not
> good.
>
> By merging some cells, locking up the ones that don't need to be
> filled, colouring the ones very slightly that do, and then protecting
> the sheet without a password, the form is now as user friendly as it
> can be without my having impacted the spreadsheet in any major way.
> It's all cosmetic.  Yet the users will be able to use it much more
> easily.
>
> Thanks.  :oD

0
ericNOSPAM (46)
7/25/2009 8:57:47 PM
On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 16:57:47 -0400, "ebloch" <ericNOSPAM@bloch.com>
wrote:

>Another way is to duplicate the form in another section of the worksheet and
>make all values in the duplicate equal to the original NOT with the shade
>formatting you want in the original.
>
>Then define a print range equal to the duplicate form so that is what gets
>printed, not the one you fill in and see on screen.
>
>The duplicate could be locked and the sheet protected so one cannot change
>the duplicate's formatting.
>
>Eric

What a great idea!  I never would have thought of that one.  The
logistics would be a pain the first time around but definitely a
technique to keep in mind.

Thanks.  :oD

>"StargateFan" <IDon'tAcceptSpam@NoJunkMail.com> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 09:42:31 -0700 (PDT), StargateFanNotAtHome
>> <StargateFanNotAtHome@mailinator.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I have a form that is built in Excel that is quite challenging to fill
>>>in because fillable cells aren't always readily apparent.  Since it's
>>>a form that although filled out on the computer is to be printed out,
>>>it has many empty cells that do not require data entry and that are
>>>just the "background" white of the document.  Is there a feature in
>>>Excel that would allow us to colour in those "background" parts of the
>>>form in something like a light grey that only shows up on the screen
>>>as that colour yet that prints out as clear of colour (white, in other
>>>words) so that it looks like an ordinary page without the grey?
>>>
>>>Thanks.  :oD
>>
>> I found the answer that works well enough.
>>
>> I knew there must be some way to get non-default cell colours in Excel
>> but all these years I never knew how (stumbled upon some really kewl
>> colours in a spreadsheet last year).
>>
>> I kept searching and I found a reference that led me to TOOLS >
>> OPTIONS > COLOR where we can "overwrite" one of the available colours
>> to get a custom one (via fine-tuning the colour wheel in the custom
>> tab of the COLOR options box that comes up).  Through trial and error
>> found a colour that showed up on the screen but didn't impact the
>> printout much as I used a very light grey.  This seemed the best
>> compromise.
>>
>> It's just, imagine, a contract worker comes along and heavily modifies
>> your spreadsheet ... I mean, the gall, right?  But the other side of
>> the coin is that I'm the admin for the dept and they all come to me to
>> email them this request form and every single one of them have had
>> troubles with it as I've been having to correct where the information
>> should go before sending the request offsite for processing.  Not
>> good.
>>
>> By merging some cells, locking up the ones that don't need to be
>> filled, colouring the ones very slightly that do, and then protecting
>> the sheet without a password, the form is now as user friendly as it
>> can be without my having impacted the spreadsheet in any major way.
>> It's all cosmetic.  Yet the users will be able to use it much more
>> easily.
>>
>> Thanks.  :oD

Linking cells containing text from one worksheet to a cell with text in another worksheet
I have a workbook with two pages, the first page has cells that contain the main description heading of the cells on the second page. The second page has the heading in one cell and then the breakdown of each section under that, and repeated as there are about 11 sections. When I paste a link or use a hyperlink on the first page, it does take you to the heading cell on the second page, however I was wondering if there is a way to force the cells on the bottom of the page to the top for easier viewing. Right now it just pulls those cells up enough to see them at the bottom of the screen, and ...

Formula to lookup in a range, find duplicates, and then total the data in the applicable duplicate cells in another column
Need to know if the following is possible? I have a worksheet with several columns. One of those columns has some duplicate entries. What I need a formula to do is locate all the duplicates in this column. Then, based upon the values found in the cells (currency) of a different column in those duplicate rows, total the dollar amounts of these other cells. I don't know if it would be possible to insert a blank row to show the total dollar value of the dups, or perhaps "paste" (for lack of a better term) the resulting dollar total into one of the duped cells. Hi Ryn: I'm no...

Copying non-contiguos cells.
How can I copy and paste data in non contiguos cells? I tried to copy using the CTRL + mouse but when I try to copy doesn't appear... Any suggestions? Thanks a lot. Alex P.S. I wouldn't use macros. Axl, You can copy in the usual way, but when you paste, all the cells will be brought together, so you can't paste data in non-contiguous cells. -- HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "Axl" <axl_mac@libero.it> wrote in message news:40b2a2a1.0402030646.417330b5@posting.google.com... > How can I copy and paste data in non contiguos cells? > > I tried to copy using t...

Delete option greyed out on HR Attendance setup screens.
GP 9 logged in as sa account. Using HR Module (no payroll module). Working on setting up the company. In attendance accrual setup screen I set up a couple test accruals just to get the hang of it and now I want to delete them. However, when I select the accrual I want to delete, the delete option is greyed out. The same thing happens in the accrual schedule setup screen and the time code setup screen. I can modify them just fine, but not delete them. Probably missing something painfully obvious. It's clear in the help files that I should be able to delete them. Quote: To modify...

Visuals on lcd screen
Well I'm guessing either it is limitations of windows media player 11 or I'm doing something wrong but for some reason on my Benq 21.5 inch widescreen lcd media player will only display visualations on the left side of screen when playing music files and for the life of me I cant get it to display full screen. My Ps3 via HDMI plays full screen but PC via DVI wont. HELP please. On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 00:58:02 -0800, Apollo <Apollo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Well I'm guessing either it is limitations of windows media player 11 or I'm >doing...

Charts that are Off-Screen Disappear after update
I have a sheet in a Workbook that holds about 21 charts. When I add data to the workbook, I need to go into every chart and add rows to each data series as well as the Horizontal Axis. Since this is tedious, I wrote a Macro to do this. The Macro works great...but when I run it, any chart that is off-screen disappears. It still exists, but the only way I can make it visible again is to save the workbook, close it, and reopen it. I have tried to refresh the graphs as I update them, but that hasn't fixed it. The only fix that I have found that works is to temporarily set the Wi...

how to show the stander tool bar??
Greeting, how to show the stander tool bar ?? such as File, Edit....Tools?? they just disppears?? if you are able to see the shortcut icons (i.e. new, open, save, etc.) that are normally under the main menu bar, right click in that area and click customize. a window will pop up and in the toolbars tab look for menu bar and check it's box if it is not checked. "Jon" <Jon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:448A2535-394F-42C8-8E53-087D0DED7224@microsoft.com... > Greeting, > > how to show the stander tool bar ?? such as File, Edit....Tools?? >...

change cell from negative to positive
I am trying to change the polarity of a cell with a signal funtion, i.e. change a negative number to a positive and visa versa. I have a spreadsheet which I have imported from an accounting software and I need the numbers which are positive to be negative and numbers which are negative to be positive. I know that I can multiply the cell by a -1 but I have more than 1700 cells to do this to. Terry, If this is a one-time change, do this. Put -1 in a cell, select it, and Copy. Now select the 1700 or so cells, Edit - Paste Special - Multiply. -- Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com "...

CTRL+M (Mark as Cleared) CTRL+T (Show Detail) not working
Using Money 2005 How do I turn CTRL+M and CTRL+T functionality back on? Both were working but not now. TIA Dennis Make sure you are using Advanced Register?!? (A guess...) "Dennis" <Dennis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C50E20E0-9F6C-4436-AC8F-4673FB42E752@microsoft.com... > Using Money 2005 > > How do I turn CTRL+M and CTRL+T functionality back on? > > Both were working but not now. In microsoft.public.money, Dennis wrote: >Using Money 2005 > >How do I turn CTRL+M and CTRL+T functionality back on? > >Both were working ...

Split Cells #2
I have a spreadsheet where I want to show 2 values in 1 cell and I want there to be a diagonal line splitting the 2 values within the 1 cell. I want one value in the upper right corner of the cell and I want the other value in the lower left hand corner of the same cell. I went to format cell and put a diagonal line in the cell, but it does not allow me to enter 2 values the way I want to. please help, any suggestions welcome! Thanks. Mariah For appearance only. Data cannot be used for calculations. With Wrap Text checked.......... Enter 8 spaces followed by a number. Hit ALT...

http://www.yesverygood.com/, located in China, are specialized in the wholesaling and distributing of varies of DVD, VCD, MOVIE, TV SHOW, etc with high quality and competitive price
http://www.yesverygood.com/, located in China, are specialized in the wholesaling and distributing of varies of DVD, VCD, MOVIE, TV SHOW, etc with high quality and competitive price Dear Sir or Madam. 1.What we are: We, http://www.yesverygood.com/, located in China, are specialized in the wholesaling and distributing of varies of DVD, VCD, MOVIE, TV SHOW, etc with high quality and competitive price. 4. Our Products: Nearly all the popular titles are available in our store, recently we have Sopranos, Stargate, Star trek, Star War, CSI,Baby Einstein, La Femme Nikita,007,West Wing, Friends, Sex ...

How to detect merged cells with C#
Hi, I do Excel programming first time, and I create a program to detect merged cells , by this way: 1.Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Application excelApp = new Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Application(); 2.Get every cells in the worksheet, and check it is merged cell, or not. ※There is one worksheet in the Excel only. but the worksheet has 60 columns and 10000 rows. and it take long time to finish detecting a worksheet. Is there any better way to do it? Best, Mars What version of excel are you supporting? xl2002 (it's there in xl2003 for sure!) added an op...

Exclude a cell
Excel 2002 Any one know how I can sum all the cell values in a column except the value of the last cell to be entered which could be say half-way down the column? Is there a function to exclude a particular cell from "sum" ? I know a lot of ppl are far more advanced than I am but we all start somewhere lol Thanks for your help Dale To exclude cell A16: =SUM(A:A)-A16 Not very elegant, but effcient! Cheers, -- AP "DF2507" <nospamthx@blueyonder.co.uk> a �crit dans le message de news: xB6sg.51172$181.12831@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk... > Excel 2002 > &...

Only 2 options in a cell
Hi I have a cell in which the only options are "Work" and "Home". How do I do this? Thanks Robert -- RobertLees ------------------------------------------------------------------------ RobertLees's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26580 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=398526 somewhere far in the sheet enter the 2 options in lets say AA1 and AA2 Now in the cell where you want the option, select the cell, go to Data > Validation > List, and select the range AA1:AA2. Mangesh "...

Cell formats #3
Is it possible to customise a cell in excel that will display a negative number within parenthesis rather than the entered value preceeded by a minus sign? e.g Value entry "-1500" displays as "-1500" Required display "(1500)" Regards Steve Steve, Yes. Format - Cells - Number. In Category, choose Number or Currency, and you'll have a box to choose the display format of negative numbers. For more control, see Custom. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "steve" <anonymo...

Maximum characters per cell
What is the maximum characters per cell in an Excel spreadsheet? Straight out of help:- Length of cell contents (text) 32,767 characters. Only 1,024 display in a cell; all 32,767 display in the formula bar. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL2K & XLXP ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Attitude - A little thing that makes a BIG difference ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- "Judy" <anonymous@discussi...

Remove highlight background in cell
Hello- Is there an easy way to remove the "highlighted yellow background" in all cells in all worksheets of a workbook, but leave the data in the cell? So, change "yellow highlight" to "no fill" - but leave the cell contents? Thank you so much! Dttodgg, Ctrl+A to select all cells in the sheet, then click the drop down arrow next to fill color button and select no fill -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2...

UserForm show mode
Hi All! I have a userform in excel workbook. The workbook itself should be minimized while the userform is active, so I have added the following to the userform initialize event: Application.WindowState = xlMinimized. I am wondering if it is possible to minimize also the userform for a while (to be able to move to another excel workbook)and to activate it again without loosing the data in the userform and without activating the workbook. Many thanks for your help! Eli You can hide the form rather than unload it, Me.Hide from within the Userform. When you Show that fo...

1 entered in cell comes up as 0.0000000001
I have checked the cell format properties and set it to general and then number w/ 2 decimal, the only way i can get 1 to stay as a 1 is to change the cell properties to text. Why is it doing this? it just started today and i dont know what i did. thansk! have a look at .......tools.... options....edit......and uncheck fixed decimal places -- Greetings from New Zealand "Breezy" <Breezy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:67941FBC-13BE-4CA5-8207-236ABA319506@microsoft.com... >I have checked the cell format properties and set it to general and then > ...

How to delete characters after a value in a cell?
I've got a list of url's in excel that I need to delete everything after the .com could someone tell me how to do this? I'm running excel 2007 One way, in say B1, copied down: =LEFT(A1,SEARCH(".com",A1)-1) -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 Downloads:27,000 Files:200 Subscribers:70 xdemechanik --- "mkabwilliams" <mkabwilliams@gmail.com> wrote in message news:bbcc9a6b-8ac3-4848-b389-e66ab6d8a117@x5g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > I've got a list of url's in excel that I need to delete everything > after the .com could someo...

Possible solution to .NET Framework Updates
Like many of you, I have been grappling with unsuccessful .NET Framework updates. Hopefully, this post might help you. I am operating from Windows XP Home Edition SP3 - 32bit. What I did... From Control Panel - Add And Remove Programs, I removed .NET Framework 1.1 (it had SP1 on top) NOTE: Add and Remove Programs would NOT allow me to remove .NET 2.0 SP2 or 3.0 SP3. I DID NOT USE THE WINDOWS UNINSTALL CLEAN UP UTILITY. I attempted to uninstall .NET 3.5 SP1 and it allowed me to do so. The program asked if I wanted to Uninstall or Repair the program. I SELECTED REPAIR. T...

new install - outlooks show up as off line
used to be network computer - can't sync palm to outlook it wont connect offline. Was Outlook previously displaying an Exchange Server mailbox? "duke7777" <duke7777@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B672050F-1EF6-4B26-8DD5-1B3B6F114FE6@microsoft.com... > used to be network computer - can't sync palm to outlook it wont connect > offline. yes that's correct. I changed it to a .pst data file but when it opens it still show working offline. I can't sync palm becuse it can't connect offline. please advise "Vince Averello [...

formula to return certain cell
I have column A with names subtotal lines then in the column B $ values I want to create a forumula in column C that searches and return only $'s that are on the lines that contain total in the text string. any suggestions? Seems to me you ought to just learn how to use Data-->Subtotals. However, you should be able to use SUMIF: http://www.officearticles.com/excel/index.htm ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com www.MyExpertsOnline.com "jerry" <jerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A8DB40C9-B028-4ACC-825E-FEF59D0778A2@microsoft....

Clearing or Deleting cells with formulas returning ""
I need a macro line that will delete the contents of cells in a range that have formulas that return a blank cell. the if formulas in the cells return "" or some number. i need to empty the cells that do not return a number. TIA Fred R. Select your range to fix Edit|goto|special Select Formulas But uncheck Numbers Leave Text, Logical, Errors checked Click Ok Now hit the delete key. If you record a macro when you do it, you'll have your code. scaryboy wrote: > > I need a macro line that will delete the contents of cells in a range > that have formulas that return a ...

How to send emails as someone else without email showing on behalf of
We are having a really hard time with this issue. We have followed the direction in this Microsoft article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327000, and when the users send the message it still shows at (on behalf of). What could we be missing? Any suggestions? Make sure "associated external user" is not checked or set to anything on an enabled user. You only set this on disabled users. If there is data in MSexchMasterAccountSID for an enabled user, Exchange considers this an invalid configuration and all sorts of things break. <katieacoakl@yahoo.com> wrote in message ...