pivot table: problem with multiple groupings in different worksheets

Hello. I'm having a bit of trouble the group function in a pivot
table.
Let's say we've got a table with columns "district" and sales (just an
example), and I create two different pivot tables with the same
origin. In one of the pivot tables I want to group regions in some
way, and define different sets in the second pivot table. Here comes
the issue: when I right click the selection...-> group, excel defines
a new property on the origin data, a new field called "district2".
That field also appears on the second pivot table. If I try to group
differently the "districts" in the second pivot table, instead of
generating another field called "district3" excel changes "district2"
according to the new grouping criteria. Bottom line: I can't have two
different groupings for the same field.

Is there any way I can overcome this? Say, by renaming the excel-
creating field "district2" before defining the new grouping?

Thanks!!!!
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Winmail.dat problem with SBS 2003..and yes i have read the other wiinmail posts
Ok, so I have read thru all the winmail.dat posts in this group and the outlook group, problem is most of them are geared towards ex 5.5. Well I have sbs 2003 and I have one user in my entire company that can not send a excell spreadsheet to one recp. without outlook 2003 i converting into a winmail.dat. I have tryed everyhting I can think of. I reinstalled outlook. I have sett all the options to send as plain text globally and for that contact that gets the winmail.dat files. I have been working on this for a while, but I do believe I checked the setting on exchange to allow the user to ch...

Problem terminating plink under Windows
Hello, I am using plink to establish an SSH session with a host. I have developed some Windows code to manage the plink session. I am using CreateProcess to start plink and various read/write commands to communicate with plink. I've tried to terminate plink with the commands to send a Control C or Control Break to a session. That hasn't worked. I've found an obscure note on another program that states the problem may be that the progam (plink) does not have a console. At the moment I've resorted to calling TerminateProcess to end plink. The documentation states Termin...

multiple personal folders #12
HI, I have multiple "Personal Folders" directories in my Outlook 2007. The reason is probably that I imported several old archive. Is there a way to fuse or merge these directories? Or perhaps move the contents to one and than delete the other empty one? Thanks You can copy and paste from one folder to another. You can then close any folder that isn't your default (unless you corrupted your profile by importing a PST file). -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Paul" <paa17@planiet.nl> wrote in message news:4968f5ea$0$30616$9a622dc7@news.kpnplanet.nl... >...

When form closes it creates a blank record in the table
I have a form that links to a table called 'Suppliers'. Whenever that form closes it automatically adds a blank record to that table. Is there a way to prevent that from happening? Thanks in advance <MichaelJohnson168@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:f63293f9-caa7-4450-bacf-e844c6d5b9c4@e4g2000hsg.googlegroups.com... >I have a form that links to a table called 'Suppliers'. Whenever that > form closes it automatically adds a blank record to that table. Is > there a way to prevent that from happening? If it only happens when you had the form on a new (blank...

Worksheets are referenced in expressions, how make the worksheets visible? Excel 2000
Hello -- A workbook I was given shows 2 worksheet tabs. Cells in each of these worksheets reference 2 other worksheets, as in (H33) ='cannot see worksheet1'!A4 I can't see these referenced worksheets. I can't see that any worksheets are hidden; Windows > Unhide is greyed out When I click a worksheet tab and select Move or Copy, only the 2 visible worksheet tabs are listed; the 2 hidden worksheets are not in the list. There is no password on the project. Can anyone tell me how to make these "hidden" worksheets visible? Thanks for any help. Larry Mehl mehl_a...

Select a worksheet
I'm using the below formula to determine the specific type of equipment from a list named: database =IF(VLOOKUP($J$2,Database!$A:$U,21,FALSE)=$X$2,"Desktop",IF(VLOOKUP($J$2,Database!$A:$U,21,FALSE)=$X$5,"Notebook","Error!!!!!!!")) value of X2 = DSK and value of X5 = NBK What I need help with is a way of using the value returned to automatically open the relevant worksheet, ie: If "Desktop" is returned the Desktop worksheet needs to open and if "Notebook" is returned the notebook worksheet needs to open automatically. All wo...

Problem with Excel add-in and .NET
I have developed an Excel add-in for a customer. The add-in enables users to retrieve data from a database by using WorkSheet functions defined in the xla file. The xla file has references to a .NET component (.dll). To be be able to use the component from Excel I have used regasm.exe to create a type library (tlb file) The User writes in a cell =Quote('31/12/2009';'MSFT') and Microsofts stock quote shows up. These functions are heavily used in a excel workbook. Since the spreadsheet is big and there's a lot of data to retrieve, it takes about 20 seconds to op...

Auto insert worksheets for multiple page imports
I have an Access database that has a query run to create a separate page with different Vendor Account number and related billing account information for each. The vendor requires this in Excel format but a separate worksheet for each billing account. Ex. ABC company has 10 billing accounts with information. They want 10 different worksheets with the specific information on each. I know how to export to Excel but it won't create sep. worksheets for each page created. Can this be done? Here's my recommendation: Download the entire file from access to one excel file and sheet n...

CRM 3.0 Install Problems
We're trying to upgrade a dev instance of CRM 1.2 to 3.0. It gets partway through the installation before it fails, giving this error message: Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.InstallDatabaseAction failed. Execution of a full-text operation failed. The parameter is incorrect. Looking at the log, it looks like this is where it fails: 15:00:38| Info| Disable full-text indexing 15:00:44| Error| Install exception.System.Exception: Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.InstallDatabaseAction failed. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Execution of a full-text operation failed....

Performance problem in Vista Windows explorer if /SWAPRUN:NET is set on an executable.
I have rather big executables (about 25-35 MB). Because I want my users to easily execute my application, I don't want them to install a bunch of DLL's, just xcopy-install is OK for me (and my customers). Because my software is often run from a network drive, and my customers' networks are not always reliable, I link my executables using the /SWAPRUN:NET option. This guarantees that the whole EXE is loaded in memory before the application starts, and prevents crashes if the network connection is dropped while my application is running. This worked fine so far, BUT ... under...

autosum column from worksheet
I am trying to write a formula to autosum a column from another worksheet and don't know the syntax. I am on a tab named "Recap" and I want the sum of column N from sheet 1 named "Bill of Material." Thanks, Gale Gorman Houston =sum('Bill of Material'!N:N) -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy Gale Gorman <ggorman@houston.rr.com> wrote in message news:BQnkb.16326$wj.4287@twister.austin.rr.com... > I am trying to write a formula to autosum a column from > another worksheet and don't know the syntax. > > I am on a tab named "Recap" and I w...

how to set up a worksheet for unlimited entries?
I need to set up an excel worksheet where the data in the "Cost" colum is added up to show "Total Cost" at the bottom of the column. I can d this very easily for a static range but the "cost" column is no static, it will keep on growing. How do I write a formula for "Tota Cost" which will be aware of how many entries exist in the column s they can be added up. Also, I was going to have "total cost" cell a the bottom of the "cost" column, can "Total Cost" be set up in such way, that the "Total Cost" cell moves dow...

Admin Group is mixed mode
When I run the Exchange Best Practices Analyzer tool, it tells me that "This administrative group is in mixed Exchange 5.5/200x mode" Other than that, everything seems to be in native mode. I only have one Exchange server, and only one administrative group. I've only got one SMTP connector, and it doesn't connect to any routing groups. I've got a 'site replication service' installed, but it is disabled. The exchange server was installed in mixed mode. The 5.5 server was disconnected, then the connection was manually removed from the Exchange 2003 config. Th...

Automatic Calculation on only one Worksheet
Is it possible to have one worksheet in a Workbook calulate manually while all others automatically? The reason I would like this is I have a sheet which pulls in real-time market data that slows down my Workbook if calculation is on automatic for the workbook. If I turn off automatic calculation for the workbook then I end up spending a lot of time hitting F9 or shift + F9. Thanks No. But I do think you can with two instances of Excel. Just start another Excel -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "sfrancoe2" <sfrancoe2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CF6DE...

empty pivot table fields
How can I force a pivot table to, for example, say that there were no accidents in week 2. At present it says 3 in week 1 then jumps to 2 in week 3. I want week 2 =0 for charting purposes. -thanks Right-click on the Weeks field button. Select Field Settings Add a check mark to 'Show items with no data' Click OK bobf wrote: > How can I force a pivot table to, for example, say that there were no > accidents in week 2. At present it says 3 in week 1 then jumps to 2 in week > 3. I want week 2 =0 for charting purposes. -thanks -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book...

Outlook 2003 - Pop3 Mode
Outlook 2003 - Pop3 Mode - Manage Multiple Domains in single box/PST. I have moved from an Exchange Server to a standalone Outlook 2003 system. On the exchange server I was able to manage multiple domains and the emails associated with them. I would like to do the same with just the Outlook client in Pop3 mode. I have multiple domain emails forwarding to a single Pop3 mailbox as my ISP. In order to setup the correct "Reply To" field in Outlook I can set up multiple accounts to send out on (by selecting from the drop-down Accounts list). However... The problem is with asso...

Date Problems
Dear Microsoft: Since we all know that the cost of a 1st class stamp is going to go up, I thought I would plot the cost over time. http://www.nonprofitmailers.org/tools/ratehist.htm 1. I formatted a column as DATE, but the 3 dates prior to 1900 that I entered as x-x-xxxx were not recognized by Excel as dates. (??!!???!). When I reentered them as x/x/xxxx Excel recogized July 1, 1885, but not the other 2. (Huh?) 2. So then I charted the dates and the costs as a line chart, the costs are displayed ok. The dates are displayed on the x-axis, but the dates are equidistant. That's...

big problem *(no save ...
.... i don't know where else to tern. my vista wun't save files when i delete a file then restart it cums bck. been a it ovah 2 months.hlp pls. -- sid .... i don't fuckin' care -- sid ...

How do I link multiple excel documents?
I need to link three Excel Documents into a master document that will reflect the data inputted into the others. as of right now they are all one document but that allows only one person at a time to enter the data, we need to have multiple people entering the data. Let's try for the easy solution first... Are people entering data on different worksheets, which are then captured on a 'master' sheet via equations? If so, open the file (make a backup copy first!), click on one of the input sheet tabs and select Move or Copy, then move the sheet into a New Workbook. Save th...

Problems with Excel and User Capabilities
When I try to set up user accounts with access to only certain programs I run into a problem. We have installed MS Office v.X and I allow the applications Word, Powerpoint, and Excel to run. Word and Powerpoint run fine, but I get an error when starting Excel. When I start Excel up a window pops up saying "A unexpected error occurred while trying to load the Mircosoft Framework X library." I can hit OK and it returns to the program where everything seems to function normally. Has anyone else encountered this or have any advice? In article <#YTu5dWcDHA.2416@TK2MSFTNGP10....

Check Boxes and Radio buttons on Worksheet
I just discovered that I can drop check box directly on a worksheet. I can make it do what I want, in a single instance, but I was wondering there was a way to make them act like formulas, in that I would like to attach the checkbox directly to a cell physically, and, incorporate it's TRUE/FALSE output in a formula, then be able to copy a whole row or column of cells containing the checkbox and formula ...and other data perhaps in a very general way. in other words havethe control behave as if it were the contents of a cell...Make sense? I don't want to have to write code or ...

How do you get changes in the HQ Db picked up by Worksheets
Many times we need to make large volume changes to products in our RMS databases (over 26000 SKUs). We use MS Access queries to make those changes. Right now those changes need to be made in HQ and each of the SO databases. I would like to be able to make them in the HQ Db only and have the RMS work sheet process propigate the changes to all the SO Dbs. I am assuming that the DBTimestamp is what is being used to determine what records need to be update or not. How do I update the timestamp using MS Access to make this happen? Thanks, TomT If you can represent the ...

Pivot Table Drill down
Is there a way for the drill down data to retain its Hyperlink. When I drill down on the Pivot Table I would like the original Hyperlink status from the source data to be retained. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Don't understand your problem here. Excel automatically retains the lin to external data so you can use menu 'Refresh' to update the table a any time - assuming the source is in the same place as before.. If you want to move a source file elsewhere, open the one with th pivot table first and use File/Copy, when the link will automaticall change (if ...

Outlook 2002 shutdown problems
I am running Microsoft Outlook 2002 with sp2 and I noticed that at times as many as 10 copies of Outlook are running simultaneously. To show this I do a Ctrl-Alt-Del and look under the Processes tab in the Task Manager. I also have trouble receiving email from my ISP. It resonds many times with the server disconnected. Any help would be appreciated. ...

Protected worksheet?
I have created a worksheet that I want other people in my company to be able to view but I dont want them to be able to make changes? How would I do thisz? There are essentially two things that you need to do. The first is select the cells you want "locked/protected". Highlight the cells then go >FORMAT >CELLS > PROTECTION and check the Locked cell. Once you have "locked" these cells. you need to turn on protection. To do so go to >TOOLS > PROTECTION > Worksheet. You have now successfully protected the celss. You can also password this here, which ...