Pivot Table #3

Hello,
Have a Pivot Table where I COUNT the number of  entries (in database)
according to four categories, see example below. I would like to Pivot table
to count the BLANKS as well, as if it were a category. Don't find any option
that allows me to configure this. Does it exist ?

doctor
doctor
pharmacist
pharmacist
blank (no entry)
blank (no entry)
nurse
nurse

0
microsol (2)
10/28/2003 3:21:41 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

If you add the Title field to the row area, and also add it to the Data
area, all four categories should appear, including (blank).

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
10/28/2003 9:32:11 PM
Thanks for your reply, but I am afraid what you suggest does not work. The
blanks appear as a category, but the field containing the number of entries
is blank.
Best regards. Doris, Geneva
"Debra Dalgleish" <dsd@contexturesXSPAM.com> wrote in message
> If you add the Title field to the row area, and also add it to the Data
> area, all four categories should appear, including (blank).
>
> Doris Edwards wrote:
> > Hello,
> > Have a Pivot Table where I COUNT the number of  entries (in database)
> > according to four categories, see example below. I would like to Pivot
table
> > to count the BLANKS as well, as if it were a category. Don't find any
option
> > that allows me to configure this. Does it exist ?
> >
> > doctor
> > doctor
> > pharmacist
> > pharmacist
> > blank (no entry)
> > blank (no entry)
> > nurse
> > nurse
>
> --
> Debra Dalgleish
> Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

microsol (2)
10/30/2003 8:27:35 AM
Sorry Doris! To count the blanks you could add a column adjacent to the
list of titles, and enter an X in each row. Add the Title field to the
row area, and the X field to the data area.

Or, use a space character, or the formula ="", in the title field,
instead of leaving the cells blank. The pivot table will be able to
count those.

Doris Edwards wrote:
> Thanks for your reply, but I am afraid what you suggest does not work. The
> blanks appear as a category, but the field containing the number of entries
> is blank.
> Best regards. Doris, Geneva
> "Debra Dalgleish" <dsd@contexturesXSPAM.com> wrote in message
>
>>If you add the Title field to the row area, and also add it to the Data
>>area, all four categories should appear, including (blank).
>>
>>Doris Edwards wrote:
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>Have a Pivot Table where I COUNT the number of  entries (in database)
>>>according to four categories, see example below. I would like to Pivot
>>
> table
>
>>>to count the BLANKS as well, as if it were a category. Don't find any
>>
> option
>
>>>that allows me to configure this. Does it exist ?
>>>
>>>doctor
>>>doctor
>>>pharmacist
>>>pharmacist
>>>blank (no entry)
>>>blank (no entry)
>>>nurse
>>>nurse
>>
>>--
>>Debra Dalgleish
>>Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

0
dsd1 (5911)

Add new user in CRM 3.0
On a new system, using the web interface to add a new user, ust after putting in domain\username I get the message "An error has occurred. For more information contact your system admnistrator" - no info from AD is displayed. Using the Deployment Manager, I never manage to get any domains or users listed. This leaves me unable to add users at all.. Single Domain: Win2003 with AD. SQL 2005 Svr SP1 Any help would be appreciated.. You might go to the web.config file in the CRM root folder and set remote errors to Off so you can get an informative error message. -- Matt Wittema...

DREMEL 1/32 Engraving Cutter (3/32 Shank), Part No. 111
Price:$2.66 Image: http://thediscountdatabase.info/image.php?id=B000WE5NV0 Best deal: http://thediscountdatabase.info/index.php?id=B000WE5NV0 The Dremel rotary tool is lightweight, compact and versatile, which makes it very "friendly". This tool works differently from any other tool you've ever owned. With more than 150 available accessories, you can use it to cut, sand, shape, drill, buff, g ...

Navigation Bar #3
I am having problem with the navigation bar on the bottom of my web page. The links seem to be properly set up and work while working inside publisher. Once I preview as a web page or publish, the links no longer work. Any thoughts? Thank you! You did not specify what version of Publisher you are using or which browser, but it sounds like you are previewing the site in FireFox. The bottom navbar is converted to an image in both Pub 2003 and 2007 webs for the version of the web pages that are rendered by FireFox. The html coding engine produces a different version for IE. The fix for this...

Pivot Tables 04-09-10
Hello All! Can someone please point me to a description of Pivot Tables and their use? Perhaps, a not too expensive text book would be appropriate. -- James Silverton Potomac, Maryland Email, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not Here are a few links: Debra Dalgleish's pictures at Jon Peltier's site: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivottables.htm And Debra's own site: http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot01.html John Walkenbach also has some at: http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/general.htm (look for Tony Gwynn's Hit Da...

How to connect to remote server and access the tables
I am working on Vb.Net application. I have to connect to remote server(it's IP address)(this server is not on my network). This company has provide me username, companyname and password. Once, I get connected, I get the SessionID. Now, I need to download some of the tables from here. How do I do this. Pls note, this company has some web services. If I create a reference to it's web services, how do I access it's database(tables)? I appreciate your quick response and thanku in advance If you connect just to a web services then you need to know what they return to you when y...

Does anyone create sites without using tables for layout?
I know that a trend is to create websites that are pure css, and don't rely on tables for layout. Are asp.net devs taking that approach also? I checked a couple of major asp.net websites like newegg.com and they do seem to use tables for layout. Any info out there focused on table-less asp.net dev? Most of us try but I think our dirty little secret is most also cop out and start using tables here and there when their pages become increasingly complex. You'll note most of the "pure" CSS sites are often little more than what we call StackPanels in XAML using CS...

Linked Table Add In
Greetings, I am maintaining anumber of Access 97 databases (Ueah, I know -Upgrade. Will happen soon) All DBs are Front End Pointing to back ends. There is one major backend and several others. Typically, when I am working on a FE, the first thing I do is point it to a "not live" copy of the main backend. That way I can play. I do this many times a week. The real BE is on the network. The Dummy BE is on my computer. Have there been any cases of the Link Table manager NOT making a change event though it said it has? I always check the AFTER of this operation and make su...

query tables
i have inherited a database w/ o documentation & noone to tell me its history. I have a query that shows 2 tables: "A" and "B" Table A has several fields, B only 2. The tables are joined on these 2 fields. 3 fields called for the query, all from table a. When i run the query i get data. But where is this data coming from? I can find no Table A or B; i can find no query A or B. I am stumped. Can anyone help me? Could be a few things. For example A and B are queries and not tables. Whoops! You already eliminated that. Make sure to scroll left and right on the d...

Importing Address Book #3
Happy New Year to all you hard working people down there. I've tried to import my Outlook Express Address book into Outlook 2000. No matter what form I try to import with it fails. Can this be done? If so, How. File > Import and Export > Internet Mail and Addresses -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Rudy de Vries" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:007801c3d0a4$43fd8d10$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Happy New Year to all you hard working people down there. > > I've tried to import my Outlook Express Address book into > Outlook 20...

subtotals #3
My worksheet contains 57,000 rows of data in the following format: Part Nbr Item Nbr Price 687223007-5 019-038 257.82 687223007-5 68-1366 20.24 687223007-5 68-1378 2.34 687223007-5 68-2232 223.68 687223007-5 68-4115 242.40 687223007-5 019-038 131.07 687223007-5 68-1366 10.12 687223007-5 68-1378 1.17 687223007-5 58-1856 4.24 687223007-5 68-2232 109.23 687223007-5 68-4115 110.80 687233016-4 019-003 76.24 687233016-4 68-2232 22.58 687233016-4 019-003 78.24 687233016-4 68-2232 27.72 687233016-4 019-003 80.78 687233016-4 68-2232 ...

Changing Business Units in CRM 3.0
Can someone confim this statement or correct me etc.........if I need to change a few users' BU (business unit no longer extsts) and they are using the CRM Client, do they need to be in off-line mode and have their most recent edits updated to system of record? On Jun 10, 1:44 am, KEO <K...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Can someone confim this statement or correct me etc.........if I need to > change a few users' BU (business unit no longer extsts) and they are using > the CRM Client, do they need to be in off-line mode and have their most > recent edits ...

Locating a file in excel with a partial file name. #3
I have been runnimg with Office 2000 with which when I go to open a file in excel I am able to enter a partial file name, any part of the file name, to search for the file I wish to open. I am finding in Excel 2002 this function does not apprear to exsit, only the function where it will search for the fille that starts with what your typing will appear once its narrowed it down to the first of a few possible options. I require the ability to be able to just go to the file open icon in excel and on the file name line be able to typr the last few chararacters of a file name to find the ...

Filtering a pivot table
This is a multipart message in MIME format. --=_alternative 0058A94385256E35_= Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" I would like to know how to deselect everything (so that I may then select just a few items out of hundreds) in the dropdown menu for filtering rows in a pivot table. If anybody knows how to do this, I would greatly appreciate some advice. --=_alternative 0058A94385256E35_= Content-Type: text/html; charset="us-ascii" <br><font size=1 face="sans-serif">I would like to know how to deselect everything (so that I may then selec...

Page Numbers #3
Is there a way to get page numbers in a workbook to run consecutively from one sheet to the next? If you select multiple sheets, then print, Excel will consecutively # the pages. >-----Original Message----- >Is there a way to get page numbers in a workbook to run >consecutively from one sheet to the next? >. > If I understand correctly, you can do this in the header/footer . You can insert the function and it will automatically number your pages. >-----Original Message----- >Is there a way to get page numbers in a workbook to run >consecutively from one sheet ...

Question and Answer tables
I'm trying to create a set of question and answer tables, similar to the tables in Duane Hookom's "At Your Survey" sample application. In his answer table, the field for the response value is type Text. My question: What do you do about response values of other types, such as Numeric, Boolean, Multiple Choice, Option Groups, etc.? It is typically the case that not all questions in a list will be answered with text. Thanks, OldBlindPew I may be remembering an earlier version, but I thought Duane's At Your Survey allowed for more than one answer "type&...

Time Table Problem
Hi, I'll try to give as much detail as I can on this problem in order to increase possible solution alternatives. In a excel workbook, I have 4 Lists on Sheets 1, 2, 3 and 4 column A:A respectively. The list on Sheet1 shows "names of teachers". The list on Sheet2 shows periods (10 periods for each 5 working day of the week) that can be used throughout the week e.g (Mon1, Mon2, Mon3,...., Mon10), (Tue1, Tue2, Tue3, ....,Tue10), .........., (Fri1, Fri2, Fri3, ...., Fri10) totalling to 50 periods. The list on Sheet3 shows the lesson names+classes to take it (in the format lesson...

Dialog Box #3
I need some simple advice on how to make a dialog box launch with the auto open macro to have a value entered by the user and pasted in a cell on the worksheet. Thanks in advance. Look in VBA help for Application.InputBox I use this in an autofilter for entering are codes when filtering on phone numbers Sub Area_Code() Application.ScreenUpdating = False UserVal = Application.InputBox("Enter Area Code") If UserVal = False Then Exit Sub Else Selection.AutoFilter Field:=4, Criteria1:=UserVal & "*", Operator:=xlAnd End If Application...

PIVOT TABLE IN EXCEL 2007 #2
I want create a pivot table using an external database. I can do it but the list of column data appears all in column A instead of column B, C, D etc. How do I get the data into columns with its appropriate headers? Have a look here: http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot02.html best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "sid" <sid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EE7D4FA6-5F12-4F72-A12E-E9E223685790@microsoft.com... >I want create a pivot table using an external database. I can do it but the &...

How to create a Pivot table from text file with more than 65000 rows?
Is there a way to create a pivot tabel where the source data is a tex file with more than 65000 rows of data? Normnally I just import th text file to excel and then create a pivot, but in this case I have to many rows but don't want to lose data. I guess I can use the create pivot tabel from external data sourc function but could somone take me through the steps to do this from large text file - if this is possible! Many Thanks -- morchar ----------------------------------------------------------------------- morchard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinf...

Inventory Reconcile #3
Can anyone tell me what changed in the Inventory Reconcilliation process between GP 6.0 and GP 7.5? Thanks ...

Pivot and Graph
I have a pivot table displayed with data populated using c# code. I want to create a graph out of ONLY the FINAL summary rowS. If I create a pivot chart, then it gets messed up if I expand the pivot table. If I manually copy paste the sumary values into another place and draw a graph based on that, then when the pivot table data is re-updated by c# code, then my graph would go out-of-sync. If I refer to the summary cells somewhere and use that for the graphing, then also when I expand/collapse the pivot table, then the location of the summary rows change and so my graph goes blank. One pos...

Combine Data from 2 spreadsheets to create a single Pivot Table
Hello From Steved I have 2 spreadsheets one is Called Auckland and the 2nd is Called Wellington. My Objective please is to use the data from 2 spreadsheets to create a single Pivot Table. Yes this is one workbook with 2 spreadsheets. is this possible. Thankyou. A person named Fazza shows how on Mr Excel: http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1550658&postcount=3 I thought this was really cool, and now I'm incorporating it into a couple projects. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://Peltier...

Charting Question #3
I have a table of data which I create a scatter graph to show the points. Is there an easy way to add labels through VBA? For eaxample if I have the data below in a spreadsheet and I want column B to be the X-axis and column C to be the Y-axis how can I easily/automatically add the text in column A as the data label? Also, oes it matter what order the data is sorted in? I want to sort by column A. Thanks A B C 1 Florida 2.5 500 2 Maine 2.7 300 sfrancoe wrote: > I have a table of data which I create a scatter graph to show the points. Is > there...

MS SQL Insert Data from One table to another
Hi guys, After seeing the benefits one can derived in developing applications running on sql, I have tried my hands on some small application, but with some challenges, and I will be grateful if someone can help me out. I want the contents one table to be added to some specific fields in another table. for eg. Table 1 P_Id pMonth pYear pRegistrar pFormType pCasetype ..... table 2 fID FormName 1 Land 2 Commercial 3 Defamation .... ..... I want to insert the values of table 2 to table 1 spec...

grouping data in a pivot table
Hello I have a excel spreadsheet that I need to change into a pivot table. The dates are listed in the date column daily. (1/1/01= $10 , 1/2/01= $ 10,1/3/01= 10) I want the pivot table to group the dates and give me the sums of a specific month. Jan 01 = $30. The reason I need to do this is because the pivot table is also stating that I have too many columns and it won’t show all of my data at one time. If you have real dates in that column, you can group that field by month (and year) inside the pivottable. Just rightclick on the field and choose "Group and show detail". Gr...