Pictures in Excel cells

Dear friends

I want to create a book with personal descriptions, including pictures.
But how can I get a picture in an Excel cell?

I thought that =HYPERLINK("file.jpg") would be the thing, but the
pictures are not retrieved when I combine the Excel sheet to the final
Word file.

Please help.
--
Jos�
0

Do you object if ...

Alt > i > p > f
and select the picture what you want to import.

HTH
--
MRT

"Jose" <jose@127.0.0.1> wrote in message news:e4nsg59mm09cuqgr2etqtm06jm87idk343@4ax.com...
> Dear friends
>
> I want to create a book with personal descriptions, including pictures.
> But how can I get a picture in an Excel cell?
>
> I thought that =HYPERLINK("file.jpg") would be the thing, but the
> pictures are not retrieved when I combine the Excel sheet to the final
> Word file.
>
> Please help.
> --
> Jos�

0
MRT
11/26/2009 1:39:19 PM
On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 21:39:19 +0800, "MRT" <mrt.0623@gmail.com> wrote in
microsoft.public.excel:

>Do you object if ...
>
>Alt > i > p > f
>and select the picture what you want to import.

I am afraid this procedure depends on the language version (it is
something invented by Mr Bill to discourage international discussions
and encourage the use of the mouse.)

But I think your suggestion equals Insert | Picture | From file. Well
that doesn't work. It does not insert a picture IN a cell.
--
Jos�
0
"Jose" <jose@127.0.0.1> wrote in message news:gv8tg5d2ig1989rj1p48os92d98a9riuvh@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 21:39:19 +0800, "MRT" <mrt.0623@gmail.com> wrote in
> microsoft.public.excel:
>
>>Do you object if ...
>>
>>Alt > i > p > f
>>and select the picture what you want to import.
>
> I am afraid this procedure depends on the language version (it is
> something invented by Mr Bill to discourage international discussions
> and encourage the use of the mouse.)

Thank you for your kindly advice.

> But I think your suggestion equals Insert | Picture | From file. Well
> that doesn't work. It does not insert a picture IN a cell.

Insert | Picture | From file
promptly after it, pls run following code.

Sub FitPic()
  Dim sngCellH As Single, sngCellW As Single
  Dim sngCellAR As Single, sngPicAR As Single
  With ActiveCell
    sngCellH = .Height
    sngCellW = .Width
    sngCellAR = .Height / .Width
  End With
  With Selection.ShapeRange
    .LockAspectRatio = msoTrue
    sngPicAR = .Height / .Width
    If sngCellAR > sngPicAR Then
      .Width = sngCellW
    Else
      .Height = sngCellH
    End If
  End With
End Sub

--
MRT
0

>> But I think your suggestion equals Insert | Picture | From file. Well
>> that doesn't work. It does not insert a picture IN a cell.
>
>Insert | Picture | From file
>promptly after it, pls run following code.
>
>Sub FitPic()
>  Dim sngCellH As Single, sngCellW As Single
>  Dim sngCellAR As Single, sngPicAR As Single
>  With ActiveCell
>    sngCellH = .Height
>    sngCellW = .Width
>    sngCellAR = .Height / .Width
>  End With
>  With Selection.ShapeRange
>    .LockAspectRatio = msoTrue
>    sngPicAR = .Height / .Width
>    If sngCellAR > sngPicAR Then
>      .Width = sngCellW
>    Else
>      .Height = sngCellH
>    End If
>  End With
>End Sub

I should say that I amazed! I tried it and really, it fits the picture
to the size of the cell. But nevertheless, the picture still hovers over
the worksheet. It can be dragged to another position (that doesn't work
with text in a cell), it can even be made to straddle the border of two
cells and when I inspect the contents of the cell, it is still empty.

And when the contents of the worksheet are read by MSWord, still no
picture appears.
--
Jos�
0

Insert a comment into the cell.  Then click on the cell and then Edit
Comment.  Right click on the border of the comment, Format comment, Color &
lines, Fill affects, Picture, select picture then OK out.

HTH
Regards,
Howard

"Jos�" <jose@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> Dear friends
>
> I want to create a book with personal descriptions, including pictures.
> But how can I get a picture in an Excel cell?
>
> I thought that =HYPERLINK("file.jpg") would be the thing, but the
> pictures are not retrieved when I combine the Excel sheet to the final
> Word file.
>
> Please help.
> --
> Jos�

Cells can contain only values or formulae.

All pictures/shapes/etc. exist on drawing layer "above" the cells. The
best you can do is size the picture to fit the cell, then set the Object
positioning Property (Format Picture/Properties) to Move and size with
cells.

In article <bpftg592rs41gfk417elf8te72nq18tsjh@4ax.com>,
 Jos� <jose@127.0.0.1> wrote:

> I should say that I amazed! I tried it and really, it fits the picture
> to the size of the cell. But nevertheless, the picture still hovers over
> the worksheet. It can be dragged to another position (that doesn't work
> with text in a cell), it can even be made to straddle the border of two
> cells and when I inspect the contents of the cell, it is still empty.
>
> And when the contents of the worksheet are read by MSWord, still no
> picture appears.
0
JE
11/27/2009 5:30:30 AM
On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 13:23:18 -0800, "L. Howard Kittle"
<lhkittle@comcast.net> wrote in microsoft.public.excel:

>This may work for you, adding a picture to a cell comment.
>
>Insert a comment into the cell.  Then click on the cell and then Edit
>Comment.  Right click on the border of the comment, Format comment, Color &
>lines, Fill affects, Picture, select picture then OK out.

I tried that too, but I cannot retrieve the picture in MSWord.

I thought it might work to code  INCLUDEPICTURE MERGEFIELD in MSWord.
But I do not know how it is done.
--
Jos�
0

It would certainly be possible to use VBA to check the picture's
position, then use that information to position it in Word. However,
it's not clear to me exactly how you're trying to implement the
"retrieval".

In article <8h7vg51b6bvbot17du89okqt7cq8bf70q6@4ax.com>,
 Jos� <jose@127.0.0.1> wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 13:23:18 -0800, "L. Howard Kittle"
> <lhkittle@comcast.net> wrote in microsoft.public.excel:
>
> >This may work for you, adding a picture to a cell comment.
> >
> >Insert a comment into the cell.  Then click on the cell and then Edit
> >Comment.  Right click on the border of the comment, Format comment, Color &
> >lines, Fill affects, Picture, select picture then OK out.
>
> I tried that too, but I cannot retrieve the picture in MSWord.
>
> I thought it might work to code  INCLUDEPICTURE MERGEFIELD in MSWord.
> But I do not know how it is done.
0
JE

Creating Reports in Excel
Is there any such thing as a Report Manager Add-in for Excel 97? I know there is one for 2000 and 2002. I don't have access to Access so I have to depend on Excel or Word Thanks Excel 97 include the Report Manager as an Add-in. Choose Tools>Add-ins, and click the Browse button to find the Reports.xla file. It may be in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Library Still Learninig wrote: > Is there any such thing as a Report Manager Add-in for Excel 97? I know there is one for 2000 and 2002. I don't have access to Access so I have to depend on Excel or Word. > >...

Dependent list in excel to create validation
I needs some info on dependent list in excel to create validation. Please find below my example. one work sheet has the employee details in two different columns(A and b) master data. Eg; sat - Manager sai - DBA sss- Manager xx - Team leader AA- Senior programmer. i want to implement the validation in another worksheet based on the above master data. Eg: This sheet has 3 columns. Designation, Employee name and Salary, Once i type the designation in that column then Employee list needs to filter based on the inputted designation. Example if i enter Manger then employe...

How can I stop cells recalculating after macro run
Hi folks I have a macro which when run removes a couple of excess lines from a report (produced from elsewhere). The excess lines appear depending on what time of the day the report runs. When I run the macro, the links on the second sheet are recalculating, changing to the formula to an incorrect cell. I have tried the following to get around this issue, without luck:- All formulas in the linked sheet have been made absolute references using the $ for all cell references; Within the macro, made the calculation method Manual then reverting to Automatic at the end of the macro. The basic qu...

Updating charts in Excel
For some reason, my charts no longer seem to update when the source data itself is updated. The source data cells are actually formulas themselves, but they are updating with the new information just fine. It's very strange that the table the values are drawn from have changed and are current but the chart itself still shows old numbers. The only way I can fix it is to right click, select source data, then re-enter the source data cells. (Actually I change one cell and then change it back and it updates.) Does anyone have any idea why my workbook is no longer updating cells? By...

text in a cell in a numeric formula
Hi, If I'm adding say 4 cells, and one cell has text in it, is there a way to disregard the text and get the numeric total? I get a #value! error now. I can't ignore the cell because sometimes there are numbers in it. I could use shading, but I really need a text designator in the cell. Any way to do this would be appreciated. Thanks, --Randy Starkey Use the SUM function: A1 = 1 A2 = text A3 = 1 A4 = 1 =A1+A2+A3+A4 returns #VALUE! =SUM(A1:A4) returns 3 -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Randy Starkey" <randy.starkeyNOSPAM@NOSPAMvictorychurch.com> wrote in m...

UNMERGE two cells/rows in Excel
I copied a MS Word Table into an MS EXCEL table and some of the rows were split into two rows when pasted into the workbook. How can I get (Merge) all of the data data split into the cell on one row. Larry In a helper column enter =A1 & A2 If need a space between =A1 & " " & A2 Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 12:31:03 -0800, "Larry D." <Larry D.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I copied a MS Word Table into an MS EXCEL table and some of the rows were >split into two rows when pasted into the workbook. How can I get (Merg...

Is there an easy way to filter duplicate rows of data in excel?
When I run a query and download the information to Excel, there will be duplicate rows of data (If a product went through an operation twice). I want to filter out the duplicate rows. With the amount of data I'm working with, it is too difficult to filter manually. "Yumin" wrote: > When I run a query and download the information to Excel, there will be > duplicate rows of data (If a product went through an operation twice). I > want to filter out the duplicate rows. With the amount of data I'm working > with, it is too difficult to filter manually. ...

animating pictures
I would like to have pictures fade in and out and be animated on my web site. I can't find where publisher will let me do that. Is it there somewhere? Or do I have to use some other software to get animated pictures? Publisher is basically a desktop publishing (Hence the name) program. MS FrontPage is a web site editing program. "jimg" <jimg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DBD512D8-023A-42D0-ABAD-AA4CA2B98426@microsoft.com... >I would like to have pictures fade in and out and be animated on my web >site. > I can't find where publisher ...

conditionally changing colors in a cell
i am trying to change the background color of a cell when a cell example STOP RED SLOW YELLOW GO GREEN STOP =VLOOKUP(A5,LIGHT,2,FALSE) this is my basic stop light when stop is typed into cell a5 i want b5 to change to red, same for slow and go. do i have to use vba? or can this be done as a function? Since you only have 3 condiotns, conditional formatting will work fine .... Format Conditional Formatting Cell Value Is Equal To "Stop" pick red background ... Then Add your two next conditions and colors ... HTH Carim -- Carim ------------------------------------------------...

Loacate a range of cells
Excel is Company Forms, that have book numbers in seveval range of cells. VB6 we enter the book number which has a var. and a quanity var. So I want to find the book Number in range B30:B65 and put the quanity in range A30:A65. This will be on Sheet1. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Don Maybe =vlookup() against a table that contains the book number in column A and quantity in column B (probably on a different sheet???) Donald Johnson wrote: > > Excel is Company Forms, that have book numbers in seveval > range of cells. VB6 we enter the book number which has a > var....

Double-clicking .xls file opens Excel but doesn't open the file
A user was trying to print a directory list of Excel files not know that the command would try to open each file and print it. He cancelled the job through Task Manager. Now when he tries to open an Excel file (.xls) by double-clicking on it, the Excel application opens but the file does not. File can be opened by clicking on "File", "Open" and selecting the file. Why won't it open when double-clicking? Thanks. Check the setting in tools/options/general/ignore other applilcations (should be unchecked) "DG" <DG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...

Can contents of a cell be used in header/footer?
All, I am interested in making a custom header that contains text from a certain cell. There are standard fields that can be added to a header or footer using the standard buttons in the header or footer dialog box. These are: &[Page], &[Pages], &[Date], &[Time], &[Path]&[File], &[File], &[Tab] I was wondering if I could create a custom field for my header that would insert the contents of a certain cell. For instance, cell A7 contains a Vendor name, let's say "XYZ Supply". I would like to create a header that says, "Vendor: XYZ Supply&q...

Excel Duplicating Workbooks
Someone in my office sent an Excel file to me. When I open it two files open one has the extension .xls:1 and the other .xls:2. They appear to be the same file, I cannot delete either one without the other one being deleted. Renaming and doing a save-as only compounds the problem, I then have two more files with the :1 and :2 after the file extension. Any helpful ideas on how to get just one file would be greatly appreciated. Thanks -- luke1438 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ luke1438's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=ge...

Excel automatically divides by 1000!
Hello, I'm using excel from office '98 on a macG4 running OSX. No matter how I play about with the cell format, any number I enter gets divided by 1000. So, for example, if I input '2' the cell displays (and calculates with) 0.002 (or 2.00E-03, or whatever the format is). I can get around the display issues by formatting as text (no good for calculations), or by inputting '2000' if I want '2' All this is frustrating - does anyone have a better way? Cheers, Ed. Ed Check Tools | Options and on the Edit Tab check the value o...

Change the formatting of row by select a single cell & Editing should be working #2
Hi All; I require such a sheet code which can help me in Changing the formatting of row (like A1:A25) of selected cell (A4 is Selected) and allow me to use editing (Cut, Copy, Paste, Undo etc). Currently I'm Using following code but this does not allow me to use editing (Cut, Copy, Paste, Undo etc) and I can not decide the range for working this sheet code. Any kind help is appreciated. Private Sub Search_Click() Sheets("Quick Search").Visible = True ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets.Visible = False Sheets("Quick Search").Select End Sub Private Sub Workshe...

Protect an excel spreasheet by script in LotusNotes
In a LotusNotes dB I Create a spreadsheet from a view with the use of 'CreateObject("Excel.Application")' Can someone explain me how it is possible to protect the sheet(s) created via script? I need to avoid anyone to change anything in the spreasheet, even the usage of the Save As if possible. Thanks, Georges Georges wrote: > [...] > Can someone explain me how it is possible to protect the sheet(s) > created via script? > [..] While I don't know the direct answer to your question you can always help yourself by simply recording a macro whily you do the ...

I am loading Excel with data and doing this in VB.net via SSIS. I am using a command such as: myWorkSheet.Range("A1").Resize(mydt2.Rows.Count, myColumnsCount).Value = myArray4 The Array is already dimensioned correctly - 2 dimensional. What I am seeing is that Resize is truncating any data that is over 255 characters in a cell. Is there anyway around this and still being able to use Resize? "mgcap" <mgcap@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0C8784E3-D64C-4A0A-8CD2-614DBF1A732A@microsoft.com... > I am loading Excel with data ...

Word Mail Merge with Excel Data--Missing Data
I have created a mail merge document in Word2002, using Excel2002 for m data source. When I merge the document, some of my fields hav incomplete data. The only records affected are those where the dat from the Excel fields is fairly long. Only about 200 characters wil show up on the Word doc. I am not exceeding any limits in my Exce fields. I've tried everything I know to do, but can't get this one t budge. Any suggestions are welcome -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com The following posts by Word MVP, Cindy Meister, may help you: http://groups.google.com/grou...

- How can I copy paste cell values only?
I have a macro that manipulates excel data copy-pasted from several Excel 2000 documents. Is there a way to make sure that Selection.Copy copies just cell values ignoring all other cell properties (formulas, formatting,...)? As always, post YOUR macro for comments. rng.value=rng.value -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "S>B>S" <sbsgark@softhome.net> wrote in message news:uUTLB8p7EHA.3120@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > I have a macro that manipulates excel data copy-pasted from several Excel > 2000 documents. Is there a way to make sure that Selection....

Sorting cells with formatting
I've a spreadsheet where I formatted certain cells with fills and borders. When I sort the cells, the formatting stays and did not move with the cells. Is it possible to sort the cells such that the format stays with the specific cells? Thanks. Hi no this is not possible -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Derrick" <Derrick@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3ED38F84-8D39-4731-A3D7-7E925C637C05@microsoft.com... > I've a spreadsheet where I formatted certain cells with fills and borders. > > When I sort the cells, the formatting...

Copying Colored Cells from Excel to Powerpoint
Office 2007: I have several Excel Spreadsheets that have sporatic colored cells. It is not done by conditional formatting. Is there a way to copy these colored cells from Excel to PowerPoint without losing the color shading? Thanks for any help!!! Try setting up a color printer and specifiying it as your default printer. You may need to choose the Paste Options button after you paste -- or use Paste Special on the Home tab to paste as Excel object. If it gets converted to a PPT table, I think you'll lose the conditional formatting. -- Echo [MS PPT MVP] http://www.ec...

Right Clicking a row or a cell in Excel cause Excel to crash
This problem just started over night. It will happen with any mouse (Apple Wireless or Microsoft). It also happens when the control key and left mouse click is used to obtain the secondary menu. Excel crashes before the secondary menu can appear. Right Click and Control Left Click works fine in other applications. All worked fine 8 hours earlier ...

merged cells and wrapping text
I have merged a few adjacent cells in a row, then asked Excel to wrap the text with the merged cell. It refuses. I was originally trying to do this in code, but I now find that it can't be done even when I try and do it manually. (Using Office XP) Anyone know a work-around? cheers Rod Try the following code: Sub alpha() With Range("a1:b4") .HorizontalAlignment = xlGeneral .VerticalAlignment = xlTop .WrapText = True .MergeCells = True End With End Sub Regards, Alasdair Stirling "Rod" wrote: > I have merged a few ad...

Excel 2000
I have been using the Excel Program for several years (home use) but not to a 1/10th of its potential. I want to create an invoice for my business whereby the invoice number automatically prints in sequencial order every time I ask it to print and to remember the last number which was printed - if that makes any sense. The invoice will be a template and not completed "on-screen". Is this possible?:confused: --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ I think it gets too dangerous to mechanize this a lot. If sheets are lost and have to be reprinted, you could have more...

Building reports in Excel, for data being entered in Multiple Workbooks by Multiple users
Hello - I have a group of nurses that keep a lot of patient data in standard excel workbooks. I need to pull reports based on that data on a weekly, monthly, and sometimes daily basis. For now, I have been having them send me the data, and then I copy it all into a single workbook, and then I build the reports. But I would like to avoid this step, if possible, and somehow automate the selection of the data in each of their workbooks. Does anyone have any experience doing something like this. Is it even possible to perform advanced filters and pivots (i.e., reports) of multiple workbooks f...