Personal.xlsb does not load automatically when I start Excel 2007

Although my personal macro workbook (Personal.xlsb) is saved to my XLStart
folder (In Microsoft Windows XP, this workbook is saved in the C:\Documents
and Settings\user name\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLStart folder).

The personal macro workbook does not open automatically when I start Excel
2007. I get the following message when I try and record a macro using the
macro recorder "Personal Macro Workbook in the startup folder must stay open
for recording".

Any suggestions how I can resolve this?

Kind Regards,

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

James,

Try moving the file out of that folder, then start Excel and record a macro into your personal macro
library.  That will create a new personal.xlsb file. Then close and restart XL and see if that fixes
the problem.  If it does, you can then rename the original personal.xlsb as something else, open it,
and transfer the macros to the new Personal.xlsb within the VBE...

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"James Graham" <grahamja51@hotmaiil.com> wrote in message
> Although my personal macro workbook (Personal.xlsb) is saved to my XLStart folder (In Microsoft
> Windows XP, this workbook is saved in the C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Application
> Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLStart folder).
>
> The personal macro workbook does not open automatically when I start Excel 2007. I get the
> following message when I try and record a macro using the macro recorder "Personal Macro Workbook
> in the startup folder must stay open for recording".
>
> Any suggestions how I can resolve this?
>
> Kind Regards,

0
Bernie
8/1/2007 3:45:27 PM
erie,

I tried your solution but still no joy. Could this be a bug in Excel 2007?

Regards,
James

"Bernie Deitrick" <deitbe @ consumer dot org> wrote in message
> James,
>
> Try moving the file out of that folder, then start Excel and record a
> macro into your personal macro library.  That will create a new
> personal.xlsb file. Then close and restart XL and see if that fixes the
> problem.  If it does, you can then rename the original personal.xlsb as
> something else, open it, and transfer the macros to the new Personal.xlsb
> within the VBE...
>
> HTH,
> Bernie
> MS Excel MVP
>

> "James Graham" <grahamja51@hotmaiil.com> wrote in message
>> Although my personal macro workbook (Personal.xlsb) is saved to my
>> XLStart folder (In Microsoft Windows XP, this workbook is saved in the
>> C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Application
>> Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLStart folder).
>>
>> The personal macro workbook does not open automatically when I start
>> Excel 2007. I get the following message when I try and record a macro
>> using the macro recorder "Personal Macro Workbook in the startup folder
>> must stay open for recording".
>>
>> Any suggestions how I can resolve this?
>>
>> Kind Regards,

James,

Try re-registering Excel.

Move/delete your Personal.xlsb (depending on if it is the most recent replacement version or not...)

Close Excel if it is running.
Click Start menu > Run > type excel /unregserver, click OK.
Click Start menu > Run > type excel /regserver, click OK.

Then restart Excel, and try to record a macro into the Personal.xlsb

> erie,
>
> I tried your solution but still no joy. Could this be a bug in Excel 2007?
>
> Regards,
> James
>

> "Bernie Deitrick" <deitbe @ consumer dot org> wrote in message
>> James,
>>
>> Try moving the file out of that folder, then start Excel and record a macro into your personal
>> macro library.  That will create a new personal.xlsb file. Then close and restart XL and see if
>> that fixes the problem.  If it does, you can then rename the original personal.xlsb as something
>> else, open it, and transfer the macros to the new Personal.xlsb within the VBE...
>>
>> HTH,
>> Bernie
>> MS Excel MVP
>>

>> "James Graham" <grahamja51@hotmaiil.com> wrote in message
>>> Although my personal macro workbook (Personal.xlsb) is saved to my XLStart folder (In Microsoft
>>> Windows XP, this workbook is saved in the C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Application
>>> Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLStart folder).
>>>
>>> The personal macro workbook does not open automatically when I start Excel 2007. I get the
>>> following message when I try and record a macro using the macro recorder "Personal Macro
>>> Workbook in the startup folder must stay open for recording".
>>>
>>> Any suggestions how I can resolve this?
>>>
>>> Kind Regards,

0
Bernie
8/2/2007 4:22:06 PM
Bernie,

I also tried this but still no joy. I also removed and reinstalled Office
Professional 2007 but still the problem exists.

"James Graham" <grahamj...@hotmaiil.com> wrote...
>The personal macro workbook does not open automatically when I
>start Excel 2007. I get the following message when I try and
>record a macro using the macro recorder "Personal Macro Workbook
>in the startup folder must stay open for recording".

FTHOI, what are the file permissions for your Personal.xlsb file and/
or your %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Excel\XLStart folder? Can you open it
using the command formerly known as File > Open?

0
hrlngrv (1990)
8/2/2007 8:54:39 PM
Hi Harlan,

I have write permissions to Personal.xlsb and XLStart Folder (ie read only
attribute is not ticked).

Yes, I can open the Personal.xlsb using File > Open

Regards,
James

"Harlan Grove" <hrlngrv@aol.com> wrote in message
> "James Graham" <grahamj...@hotmaiil.com> wrote...
>>The personal macro workbook does not open automatically when I
>>start Excel 2007. I get the following message when I try and
>>record a macro using the macro recorder "Personal Macro Workbook
>>in the startup folder must stay open for recording".
>
> FTHOI, what are the file permissions for your Personal.xlsb file and/
> or your %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Excel\XLStart folder? Can you open it
> using the command formerly known as File > Open?

I have the same problem

On Aug 19, 4:52 am, antonio.manne...@gmail.com wrote:
> I have the same problem

Your problem may be due to using Excel 2007 and Excel 2003 in side-by-
side installations.  See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930480 for
work-around.

Best,
Hal

0
hal.eason (1)
8/26/2007 9:59:13 PM
On Aug 1, 8:01 am, "James Graham" <grahamj...@hotmaiil.com> wrote:
> Although my personal macro workbook (Personal.xlsb) is saved to my XLStart
> folder (In Microsoft Windows XP, this workbook is saved in the C:\Documents
> and Settings\user name\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLStart folder).
>
> The personal macro workbook does not open automatically when I start Excel
> 2007. I get the following message when I try and record a macro using the
> macro recorder "Personal Macro Workbook in the startup folder must stay open
> for recording".
>
> Any suggestions how I can resolve this?
>
> Kind Regards,

Try clocking on the Office Button at the top left of the window.  Then
at the bottom of the pop-up window, under the recent documents list,
there is a button for Excel options.....click that button.  Then on
the left, click on Add-in's.  At the bottom of the Add-in page there
is a "Manage" drop down.  Select Disabled Items from the "Manage" drop
down and hit GO.  If Personal.xlsb appears there, enable it again and
it will startup when Excel starts up.

I experienced this same problem - good luck.

0
mwmadison (1)
9/4/2007 4:23:42 AM
Thanks mw,

It works a treat.

Kind Regards,
James

<mwmadison@aol.com> wrote in message
> On Aug 1, 8:01 am, "James Graham" <grahamj...@hotmaiil.com> wrote:
>> Although my personal macro workbook (Personal.xlsb) is saved to my
>> XLStart
>> folder (In Microsoft Windows XP, this workbook is saved in the
>> C:\Documents
>> and Settings\user name\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLStart folder).
>>
>> The personal macro workbook does not open automatically when I start
>> Excel
>> 2007. I get the following message when I try and record a macro using the
>> macro recorder "Personal Macro Workbook in the startup folder must stay
>> open
>> for recording".
>>
>> Any suggestions how I can resolve this?
>>
>> Kind Regards,
>
> Try clocking on the Office Button at the top left of the window.  Then
> at the bottom of the pop-up window, under the recent documents list,
> there is a button for Excel options.....click that button.  Then on
> the left, click on Add-in's.  At the bottom of the Add-in page there
> is a "Manage" drop down.  Select Disabled Items from the "Manage" drop
> down and hit GO.  If Personal.xlsb appears there, enable it again and
> it will startup when Excel starts up.
>
> I experienced this same problem - good luck.

How do I calculate the z factor automatically
How do I calculate the z factor automatically by using Hall-Yarborogh equation without changing (Y) every time to reach F=0 ? if any body know .please answer me. INPUT DATA: T 68 oF p 1000 psia SGFG 0.5 air=1 CALCULATE CRITICAL AND REDUCED TEMPERATURE AND PRESSURE: Tpc=169.0+314.0*SGFG Ppc=708.75-57.5*SGFG Tpr=(T+460.0)/Tpc t=1/Tpr Ppr=p/Ppc CALCULATE TEMPERATURE DEPENDENT TERMS: A=0.06125*t*EXP(-1.2*(1.-t**2) B=t*(14.76-9.76*t+4.58*t*t) C=t*(90.7-242.2*t+42.4*t*t) D=2.18+2.82*t CALCULATE REDUCED DENSITY Y Y = ASSUMED 0.324006985 F=-A*Ppr+(...

Inserting excel doc into ppt
Is there a way to insert a sheet or info from a sheet from excel into powerpoint? I have a program outline I want to insert into my presentation. PP 2007 Here is one way to do it:- 1. I have a Title Only slide on the screen in front of me. 2. Insert / Text group / Object / Insert Object pop up window launches / click on the Create from file radio button / Browse / in the File name: field type in the full path of where your file is and its name / Open / OK. 3. The sheet from the targeted Workbook will now be pulled into your Presentation. Re-size as desired. 4. ...

Automatically move mail *from* Deleted Items folder
I get a lot of email that I read quickly then delete using a swift press on the delete key which drops the mail into the Deleted Items folder. However, I never want to loose the mail so I regularly move all the mail from Deleted Items into another folder for storage. Is there any way I can get Outlook 2002 to automatically move any items that arrive in Deleted Items to another folder? I can't get it to work with the Rules Wizard as it only allows me to run rules on my Inbox. Alternatively, how do I set up a method to move the mail from my Inbox to the storage folder directly without goi...

Missing Measures in .cub file created in Excel
After using Excel's Offline OLAP features which create a local cube file (.cub), many of the desired measures which I included in the wizard setup are not displayed. I'm looking for a reason for this. The data populating this cube file is from a virtual cube, so background calculations take place. I considered that those measures requiring calculation would not be included once seperated from the original virtual cube... but many calculated measures WERE included so I don't think that's the complete explination. I've varied the measures included in the .cub file...

How do I enter a decimal in a string of numbers in Excel? Example.
Please post your question in the BODY of the message, not the subject line, and clarify with an example of the initial data and what you want to end up with. If it's to translate 123 to 1.23, you divide by 100. On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 15:03:07 -0800, Joy <Joy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: ...

Export Report To Excel
XP, Office 2007 I have a report that when run basically tells us the part number, how many are in stock, and how many we need to make to complete a particular order. There are several order dates to each part, so the rows repeat themselves for each of the order dates. There are total fields on the report that show how many parts need to be made if the customer orders more than what is on hand; all the calculations are done in the report itself. I was able to use a macro to filter everythihg down to show for each part number the first due date for parts that need to be manufactured an...

Report from Access 2003 to 2007 problem

New Chart in Excel 2007 is NOT showed unless preview
I have a sheet with multiple charts in Excel 2007 one of the new created charts is hidden when I open the file Unless preview is selected, then finally turned on BUT many formats are changed and objects on charts (titles,...) can not be moved ! what's wrong ? Make sure you have installed SP2 for Office 2007 as this fixes some (not all) chart problems best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "Rolando" <Rolando@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0B0A3E5C-AABD-4982-962B-8C5C09A2CC5A@microsoft...

How to draw a regression line on 7000+ dated data with Excel 2007
How to draw a regression line on 7000+ dated data using Excel 2007 Are your "dates" actual Excel dates or just text? With actual Excel dates, pre-2007 versions have no problem doing simple linear regression. To interpret the results though, you need to remember how Excel dates are stored: An Excel date is the number of days since 1900, so the numeric value of today's date is 39736, and the intercept of the regression will be the value of the relationship extrapolated to 30Dec1899 (since Excel mistakenly considers 1900 to be a leap year) "Gordon Lee" wrote: >...

Turning off all Automatic Formatting in Excel 2003
Hi Is there any way of turning off all automatic formatting in Excel 2003? For example Excel automatically changes strings such as 1-12 in a CSV file to 1-Dec, 10-10-2005 to 10/10/2005 and strings of numbers to an exponential representation. These changes are preserved when saving the file and thus corrupting it, preventing any other applications from reading it. I know you can import CSVs changing all the fields to text using the data import option, however reopening it and saving causes Excel to make the same changes again. Any suggestions would be really appreciated as this is caus...

Excel asking for save with no changes #5
Dave Peterson Wrote: > And xl2002 added an option that allows you to have more control: > Edit|links|startup prompt button. > check the "don't display the alert and update links" This sounds like exactly what I'm looking for! Unfortunately, I' running an older version of Excel. I'll have to hit up my IT perso for an update. Thanks! -Tomm -- tommy2 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- tommy20's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=281 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/sh...

How do I prevent Excel from replacing path in hyperlink when saved
I´ve created a hyperlink in a cell using the Insert Hyperlink option. I'm using the path (F:\myfile.txt). When I save the document, the hyperlink changes to (\\MyServer\MyPath\myfile.txt). Is it possible to prevent this, because if the servername is changed in the future the link won't work Regards Rico Use the =HYPERLINK() function: =HYPERLINK("F:\myfile.txt","myfile") -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200810 "Rico B. Raben" wrote: > I´ve created a hyperlink in a cell using the Insert Hyperlink option. I'm > using the path (...

Problem opening Excel 2003 in a Small Business edition
When i open excel ,it appears a window "installing:function of Excel" Its seems like installing a new function of Excel , it last a few seconds and then we can work wiht it. How can i eliminate this Hi, You could try looking into your tools>Add-ins to determine what function packs are being loaded when you start Excel. If this is poiting to an add-in on a network drive, it could be what is causing the delay. You can try this by unchecking each option in turn and closing and re-opening Excel. Hope this helps Sunil Jayakumar ""installing:function of Excel"...

Deleting rows in Excel based on criteria
Is it possible to automate the deletion of row based on a criteria, preferably through a macro? i.e. - run the macro and delete any row who has "NO" in last column. >and delete any row who has "NO" in last column. last column IV ?? -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2) www.rondebruin.nl "SteveM" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:05ac01c3afb9$b76f96a0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Is it possible to automate the deletion of row based on a > criteria, preferably through a macro? i.e. - run the > macro an...

Programmatically sign Excel VBA macro
My goal is to programmatically sign an Excel VBA macro. I have a certificate. I have code to programmatically create an Excel macro. Word 2002 has access to the Office SignatureSet collection (ActiveDocument.Signatures which prompts the user to select a certificate via the Add method of the SignatureSet collection, which is an interface--not a class--in the Office Interop PIA). Excel does not have a get_Signatures. Why not?! Who cares, I don't want to prompt the user to identify a certificate from the store anyway. Now, I'm thinking, if I had something like SignCode.exe fro...

Excel file e mail addresses into address group list
I want to take the .csv file from excel into my outlook express address book then copy addresses (select members) into a group list. Then I want to keep that address in the group list, but erase from the address book. Hi Jack, First back up your Windows Address Book ( .WAB) Export your address book to a .csv format so that you are sure you have the formatting correct (all the fields). When you import your .csv file to the address book, you must add one more column to your Excel file and fill it with a single blank. This will generate the need comma at the end of each row -- fail...

convert from excel to adobe
Hello - I tried to convert from Excel to adobe and it ended up with black background and no words. I tested to convert from MS Word and webpage to adobe - no problem. I suspected that it had to do with the Excel setting for Adobe conversion. Where can I fix the setting in Excel to make it normal to convert it into adobe? I saw "change conversion setting" under Adobe on the menu in Excel application but i don't know which one is the problem in the setting. Thanks, Krae ...

How Change default "look in" location in EXCEL for Importing Exte.
I am importing data contained in a text file. When I get to Import Data, the "Look In" folder location always defaults to "My Data Sources". How do I change that to the folder where my data is? (files are on my computer). thanks ...

Load a DLL procedure
Hi, I am having difficulties to load some procedures from a certain DLL. While I am able to load couple of them, I fail on some others. For example, I succeed to load lr_message procedure: ---------------------------------------------------------- From the DLL h file: #if defined(cplusplus) || defined(__cplusplus) extern "C" { #define PROTO(x) x #endif #ifdef _WIN32 /* LR_FUNC is used for the call-back functions of the compiled Vuser */ #define LR_FUNC CALLBACK /* LR_MSG_FUNC is used for the message functions */ #define LR_MSG_FUNC WINAPIV #else #defin...

How to perform load Test
Hello Someone known simple tools to perform a load test performance. i need to simulate user which enter parameters and send request. Thanks Dnia 02-06-2010 o 22:36:37 desquestions <nicolas2710@gmail.com> napisa�(a): > Hello > Someone known simple tools to perform a load test performance. i need to > simulate user which enter parameters and send request. > Thanks Maybe WCAT will be ok. It is free and is part of IIS Resource Kit. ...

How do I update Excel 2000 macros to work in Excel 2002?
Working in Excel 2002/XP on an Excel worksheet which was created in Excel 2000, I get an error message "Subscript out of range". How do I update the macro to work in Excel 2002? Hi normally the macro should work without a problem. Best to post the part of your code which generates this error -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "BobPetrich" <BobPetrich@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:9CF34907-0A45-4392-8F04-556EFB1F89E4@microsoft.com... > Working in Excel 2002/XP on an Excel worksheet which was created in Excel > 2000, I get a...

Word 2007 startup slow after installing Windows 7
Why only Word and not Excell and PowerPoint? Do you have a printer installed? -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting basis. Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com "Poul Erik" <Poul Erik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8832AE61-8707-439D-9761-D75C9AC6C1BC@microsoft.com... > Why only Word and not Excell and PowerPoint? ...

Convert to word / excel
in access 03, i could run a report then export it to word or excel, however i cannot seem to be able to do it with access 07, HELP!! -- Lois On the ribbon, select the External Data tab. There is an Excel icon on the Export group. "Lois" wrote: > in access 03, i could run a report then export it to word or excel, however i > cannot seem to be able to do it with access 07, HELP!! > -- > Lois ...

importing excel files into outlook 2007
I did an import and it worked perfectly. I tried to ddo a second, and am receiving a message that - an error occuredwhile importing or exporting and the import/export was terminated. MAPI error 0x80070057 was reported. please try again. I have rebuild the file, changes names and still receive the same message. I looked on ms faq but can't find how to fix the problem. Can anyone help. Thanks Dick Take a look at both of these sights... http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-854669.php http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329295/EN-US/ Anvil22 wrote: >I did...

How do I subtract 20% from one column in Excel and place totals i.
I would like to know if someone knows the formula I use to subtract 20% from totals in one column on my spreadsheet to show totals in another column on same spreadsheet. Can anyone help? Spent way to long trying to figure out correct formula. =A30*80% assuming totals in A30 -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Full Effect Landscaping" <Full Effect Landscaping@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7ACF893B-54DF-4EE4-A931-3BB5FA365821@microsoft.com... > I would like to know if someone knows the formula I use to subtract 2...