Personal.xls not hidden in Excel 2007?

Hi,

When I open a spreadsheet in Excel 2007 my Personal.xls file opens too,
in a separate window. (I get a separate "tab" in my task bar.)

If I remember correctly from Excel 2003 the Personal.xls was actually
hidden and didn't open, but the macros in it were made available to
open worksheets. In any case, that is the behavior I would like.

Is there a setting somewhere that makes the Personal.xls stay hidden?
I've tried putting it in program files/.../xlstart and in application
data/.../xlstart. I've also tried making it a .xlsb file.

Thanks,

Sam

0
spamsam0 (2)
8/29/2006 1:45:44 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I haven't tried 2007 but have you tried "hiding"

Sub TogglePersonal()
 Windows("PERSONAL.XLS").Visible = Not Windows("PERSONAL.XLS").Visible
End Sub
--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
"sam" <spamsam0@excite.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> When I open a spreadsheet in Excel 2007 my Personal.xls file opens too,
> in a separate window. (I get a separate "tab" in my task bar.)
>
> If I remember correctly from Excel 2003 the Personal.xls was actually
> hidden and didn't open, but the macros in it were made available to
> open worksheets. In any case, that is the behavior I would like.
>
> Is there a setting somewhere that makes the Personal.xls stay hidden?
> I've tried putting it in program files/.../xlstart and in application
> data/.../xlstart. I've also tried making it a .xlsb file.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sam

0
dguillett1 (2487)
8/29/2006 2:01:39 PM
I have a Personal.XLSB file - I can see it in the VBA Project window
But it does not show in Excel window - nor can I find how to make it
visible.
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"sam" <spamsam0@excite.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> When I open a spreadsheet in Excel 2007 my Personal.xls file opens too,
> in a separate window. (I get a separate "tab" in my task bar.)
>
> If I remember correctly from Excel 2003 the Personal.xls was actually
> hidden and didn't open, but the macros in it were made available to
> open worksheets. In any case, that is the behavior I would like.
>
> Is there a setting somewhere that makes the Personal.xls stay hidden?
> I've tried putting it in program files/.../xlstart and in application
> data/.../xlstart. I've also tried making it a .xlsb file.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sam

0
bliengme5824 (3040)
8/29/2006 2:15:16 PM
Bernard: View tab, Window chunk, Unhide.
-- Bob

"sam" <spamsam0@excite.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> Hi,
>
> When I open a spreadsheet in Excel 2007 my Personal.xls file opens too,
> in a separate window. (I get a separate "tab" in my task bar.)
>
> If I remember correctly from Excel 2003 the Personal.xls was actually
> hidden and didn't open, but the macros in it were made available to
> open worksheets. In any case, that is the behavior I would like.
>
> Is there a setting somewhere that makes the Personal.xls stay hidden?
> I've tried putting it in program files/.../xlstart and in application
> data/.../xlstart. I've also tried making it a .xlsb file.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sam

Hi Sam

I haven't tested it in Excel 2007, but normally you hide
it by having it on screen and then choosing Window > Hide
It should now be hidden the next time you open a workbook.

--
Best regards
Leo Heuser

Followup to newsgroup only please.

Thanks all. Not sure why I missed that.

In Excel 2007, choose Hide/Unhide from the Windows group in the View
ribbon tab.

Sam

> I haven't tested it in Excel 2007, but normally you hide
> it by having it on screen and then choosing Window > Hide
> It should now be hidden the next time you open a workbook.
>
> --
> Best regards
> Leo Heuser
>
> Followup to newsgroup only please.

0
spamsam0 (2)
8/29/2006 4:17:05 PM
You're welcome, Sam.

Leo Heuser

> Thanks all. Not sure why I missed that.
>
> In Excel 2007, choose Hide/Unhide from the Windows group in the View
> ribbon tab.
>
> Sam
>

>> I haven't tested it in Excel 2007, but normally you hide
>> it by having it on screen and then choosing Window > Hide
>> It should now be hidden the next time you open a workbook.
>>
>> --
>> Best regards
>> Leo Heuser
>>
>> Followup to newsgroup only please.

Is there an easy way to filter duplicate rows of data in excel?
When I run a query and download the information to Excel, there will be duplicate rows of data (If a product went through an operation twice). I want to filter out the duplicate rows. With the amount of data I'm working with, it is too difficult to filter manually. "Yumin" wrote: > When I run a query and download the information to Excel, there will be > duplicate rows of data (If a product went through an operation twice). I > want to filter out the duplicate rows. With the amount of data I'm working > with, it is too difficult to filter manually. ...

how do I automatically repeat data in several excel workbooks #2
I am trying to update the same text / numerical data in 3 different workbooks at one, can anyone help? Eg, if I input a name in one sheet I want it to appear in all 3. Hi you can link the other workbooks to this cell. e.g. - select the target cell and enter the equation sign '=' - now select with your mouse the sourc e cell and hit ENTER "stufroments" wrote: > I am trying to update the same text / numerical data in 3 different workbooks > at one, can anyone help? Eg, if I input a name in one sheet I want it to > appear in all 3. ...

Help Excel Issue
While trying to open a spreadsheet i get the following: "file format is > not valid". Then Excel doesn't open. > > The OS is WIN 2K with MS Office 2K. > > Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! It means what it says, someone probably opened the file in Word and saved when prompted, that will make excel files pretty unusable -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Deborah" <dmattmac@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message news:mzyme.10260$uR4.5346@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net... > While trying to open a spreadsheet i get the f...

PS 2007 Administrative Time
We have configured our timesheets for weekly reporting. I added the administrative time to the timesheet however I am unable to enter any time in. I can enter time for projects in the timesheet but not the administrative time. Any ideas why I am seeing this behavior? Thank you. ...

Outlook 2007 not receiving all exchange emails
I have set up my dad's outlook 2007 to connect to his work exchange server (i think that is a 2000 exchange server). It has been able to download almost 3000 inbox emails, and calendar info, contacts etc but has now stopped getting any more (and hasn't received any more for several months). It says Connected to Microsoft Exchange in the corner and has a progress bar saying Updating Inbox, but nothing more is downloaded. I am using a VPN to his work to connect. Is there a limit on the amount it can download, the outlook0.ost file is 1.50 gb, which seems too exact to just be a coinciden...

forward email form one outlook 2007 profile to another
I am a google apps sync user and when my email comes into Outlook it goes into the apps profile inbox. Maybe some of you are aware of the problem with google apps in that you cannot change the "From" field in outgoing mail. For example: my wife and I are a Realtor team, our domain is xxx.com. Our account email address in google apps is PamandBruce@xxx.com When an email is sent from the apps profile in Outlook 2007, it shows as coming from just my name and this apparently cannot be changed. Can I create a new profile in Outlook 2007, have the mail from the google app...

Exchange 2000 to 2007 Migration
Are the steps the same for migrating Exchange 2000 to 2007, as they are migrating to 2003? Are these the steps I would take? : 1. Install new Exchange 2007 Server. 2. Move all user mailboxes to the new Exchange 2007 Server. 3. Create replicas of all public folders. 4. Follow the instructions in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307917 Thanks in advance.... On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 07:05:19 -0400, Mark Greene <notvalid@nowhere.com> wrote: > >Are the steps the same for migrating Exchange 2000 to 2007, as they >are migrating to 2003? > >Are these the steps I would take? : ...

Outlook 2007 Questions
I have just installed outlook 2007 and its working well.However with no messages in my Inbox I have a message at the bottom of the window which says Filter Applied 4 items. Do I have 4 hidden emails and what does Filter Applied mean. I changed junk email filter to none but filter applied is still there and nothing in the junk email folder. Apart from some extra mail folders everything is pretty much default. Filter Applied refers to your view settings; View-> Current View Make sure this is set to Messages. If it still says "Filter Applied" then reset your current...

Excel 2007 sucks. Older versions are much better.
I really hate the 2007 version! I was VERY proficient with XL before, and now I am totally helpless trying to create some simple X-Y charts. The help tools are totally worthless! There should be some means to emulate older versions for those of us who don't want to learn a totally new system. Microsoft really screwed up a good product! Hi, There are ways to emulate the older version: http://www.download.com/Classic-Menu-for-Office-2007/3000-18483_4-10637184.html http://www.addintools.com/english/menuoffice/ http://pschmid.net/office2007/ribboncustomizer/index.php http://www....

Cannot connect outlook 2007 to exchange 2003 through LAN
Hello, I got a new laptop at work with Vista and outlook 2007 and I cannot set it up to connect to my company's exchange 2003 through LAN. I followed the manual set up and entered the exchange server details and my mailbox but I constantly get the message that outlook is not connected and it needs to be connected and.... My previous laptop was running XP na doutlook 2003 and worked fine with the same mailbox settings. Any ideas please? ...

Row/Column unhide shortcut keys not working in excel 2007
Specs: AMD 64 X2, Vista Business Edition, Office 2007. I searched through the groups, but I didn't come across an answer to my problem.. Do the shortcut keys for row/column unhide work in excel 2007? I'm used to excel 2002/03 where the command is CTRL+SHIFT+9 and CTRL+SHIFT+0. According to the excel 2007 help, the commands are the same, but they do not work for me (I can unhide by going to Cells- >Format-> Hide & unhide). Interestingly, Ctrl+9 and Ctrl+0 work fine for hiding rows/columns. On a (related?) note, in the following thread http://groups.google.com/group/microso...

Can you change something in Excel to automatically insert an equa.
I'm generally used to Lotus 1-2-3 where for a calculation I can just enter 1+2 and have it display 3. In Excel I always have to enter =1+2. If you don't enter the = it will just display 1+2 after you hit enter. Is there something in the settings you can change so that it will automatically enter the = sign? The only other option is to enter "+1+2" which will return 3 This is an Excel requirement. A tradeoff from Lotus is if you WANT the cell to display "1+2" in Lotus, you must enter the apostrophe " '1+2 ", in Excel, you don't. HTH ...

EXcel problems
Hi, We have a ERP program in my bussiness.We generate with reptoexcel application reports to excel. But,if we probe these option with Administrator user,th program works ok. But,if we probe with another user,the program break. The probe is done under w2k server by terminal server,with excel 2003. Thanks to all for help ;) ...

excel links
I have been given an excel file with many formulas and links and possibly macros. I am wondering if its possible to see all of these displayed so I can see simply what's going on where its looking for data. Thanks for any help. Hi Mark, You can go to Tools>Options>View Tab and check Formulas under Window options. This will display all the formulas in the sheet. You can also click on a cell that contains a formula and go to Tools>Auditing>Trace Precedents. This will put arrows to the last cell referenced by a formula, then click on that cell and Trace precedents again et...

How do I get Excel to automatically enter the contents of a cell .
Can you provide some more detail on exactly what it is you're trying to achieve? The phrase "automatically enter the contents of a cell" can be interpreted a 1000 different ways in Excel. Thanks HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- > >. > ...

Exporting curretn recordset to Excel
The code below works the first time it is run - the displayed records are output to a excel spreadsheet called book1 with the worksheet named as it should be. So you open a form and click the button on the ribbon referencing this code and all the displayed records are transferred to a spreadsheet. However if you then try to run the code again without first closing and reopening the form you get a blank sheet. Any ideas? Also any idea how to make this work with an open table as well as a form. If I run the form on an opne table I get the error "2475 You entered an exp...

Peculiar problem facing in web application due to microsoft excel
We have devoloped a very huge web application for General Motors. Th problem we are facing here, whenever we tried to copy either the labe or value from the screen (struts with jsp) and paste it in microsof excel, then try to access the application, the session is gettin expired. This happens only when we copy and paste the content in microsoft exce and not in any other editor like notepad etc. The following are true - you have a webapplication with a user session. - if you select and copy text in your browser, everything is okay - if you paste it into notepad, you can continue surfing - if...

Excel 2002 program opens but not the excel file being opened
( using Win XP Pro and Excel 2002 ) -a user double clicks on the excel file in Windows explorer and excel program opens up but not the file -if you click in Excel on Window, New window, the file appears in Window 2 and if you go back to Window 1 the file now appears -any help to fix this? thx Steve Try Tools / Options / General / Uncheck 'Ignore Other Applications' -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 00/02/03 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- It'...

Excel formula to find position of the contents of a cell within a column.
Hi, can anyone help with the following problem. I'm trying to find out the position of the contents of a cell within a column. I know that the value in cell B103 appears 4 times in column B from a COUNTIF function; however, I need to know if the value in B103 is the first, second, third or fourth time this value has appeared. Is there an easy way to do this using formula? I need to set a calculation and the number of OFFSETs required will depend on whther the value in B103 is the 1st, 2nd etc. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Alasdair. you could try conditional formatting with a th...

Excel IF Formula
I have a spreadsheet with 4 cells that 1 of the 4 will have a calculated value in it. I want to take the numeric value in the cell that has a value and place it into another cell for information. Following is the string I have written but I am doing something wrong. =IF(E25>1, E25,IF(E27>1, E27, If(E29>1, E29,IF(E31>1, E31)))),"ERROR" Any help would be greatly appreciated. -- Thanks GeneI This is your "corrected" formula: =IF(E25>1,E25,IF(E27>1,E27,IF(E29>1,E29,IF(E31>1,E31,"ERROR")))) Micky "GeneI" wro...

Excel macro #6

Excel Line or Scatter Chart
I have created a line chart with markers. The markers show, but the lines do not. So I tried doing the chart as a Scatter chart with markers and lines, and the lines still don't show. What am I doing wrong? Help!! Millie - Either a Line chart type or an XY (Scatter) chart type can be formatted to show any combbination of lines and markers. Click a data point to select the data series. Choose Format Selected Data Series, and click the Patterns tab. Choose the settings you desire. - Mike www.mikemiddleton.com "Millie" <Millie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in m...

Open .xls (Excel project) from windows application
Hi, I have a solution with some projects. I try to open a .xls in a excel project from windows application project. Note that this solution is in ClickOnce and i dont know the path of the file. how i know the path? thanks, and sorry for my english :| Excel automation and COM interopability -Aaron Roberto wrote: > Hi, > > I have a solution with some projects. I try to open a .xls in a excel > project from windows application project. Note that this solution is in > ClickOnce and i dont know the path of the file. > > how i know the path? > > thanks, and sorr...

How do I rotate a Excel doc 180 degrees
How do I rotate a Excel doc 180 degrees? You mean when you print it? File|Page setup|Page tab check Landscape (or portrait)--check the one that isn't checked. ssfurrell wrote: > > How do I rotate a Excel doc 180 degrees? -- Dave Peterson ps. That only rotates it 90 degrees, though. ssfurrell wrote: > > How do I rotate a Excel doc 180 degrees? -- Dave Peterson couldn't you just turn the page upside down -- swatsp0 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- swatsp0p's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=get...

creating basic macros in excel
I am trying to run a simple macro that filters out data. For example, I have a spreadsheet with ten columns. However, I do not need all 10; I want to select particular columns and re-arrange them in a specific order. I think this is pretty basic so any help would be appreciated. I tried the filter function but I couldn't do anything on it. A good starting point for this is the macro recorder. Turn it on (Tools>Macro>Record new Macro...), give it a name, then do the steps manually. You than have a macro that does what you executed, and you can examine to learn from. -- HTH...