Perplexing Chart Question

I went here

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/183446

and followed the instructions exactly to create a chart in a new sheet
that automatically updates for 2007--it worked perfectly.

When I tried to do the same thing with existing data I could never get
it to work, and I tried ten times.

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.  Any suggestions?

0
jimx22 (226)
9/12/2008 12:28:48 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi Jim,

I haven't check Microsoft step by step instructions but if the data range
you are working with grows or shrinks in the vertical direction, there is a
simpler way to handle this.  What the web site is suggesting is using
dynamic range names - for a horizontal list that's fine, for a vertical
list -

1.  Select the data source including titles
2. Choose the command Home, Format as Table, OK.
3. Build your chart from the table range and as you add new data the chart
will automatically expand.
4.  If you don't like the table formatting of autofilters you can remove the
formatting and turn off the auto filters.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire
Microsoft Excel MVP

"JimS" <jimx22@msn.com> wrote in message
> I went here
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/183446
>
> and followed the instructions exactly to create a chart in a new sheet
> that automatically updates for 2007--it worked perfectly.
>
> When I tried to do the same thing with existing data I could never get
> it to work, and I tried ten times.
>
> I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.  Any suggestions?

FRx Report Question
Hi, I am trying to create a Quarterly Income Statement reporin FRx. The quarters are 3 months in a 12 month (jan-dec) fiscal year. I want this report to show the last 9 quarters. So, if the report date = '08-31-06', then the report must print as follows - print 9 columns, with column 9 showing quarter ended '06-31-06' (Apr to Jul), Column 8 showing quarter ended '03-31-06' (Jan-mar), Column 7 showing quarter ended '12-31-05' (Oct-Dec)...and so on. What i am not able to do, is to be able to keep the report dynamic to always print for 9 quarters, based on ...

MS Product Offerings For WORD and EXCEL Questions ?
Hello, I read, several times, the MS Office Suite Products page, as well as Anazon's offerings trying to understand these MS product offerings and their permutations, and am confused, as there seem to be several contradictions. If anyone is really sharp on the offerings, and what's available, would be very appreciative of some help. a. Is WORD 2007 available as a stand alone product, or do you have to get it with a "Office Suite" ? If available alone, does the product allow installation on more than 1 PC ? How many ? b. Same question for EXC...

Can I use named range in data range box when creating pie chart?
I have 75 pie charts to create today. Is there a way to use named ranges in the data range box to speed this up? Yes. Just type in the name. -- George Nicholson Remove 'Junk' from return address. "BJackson" <BJackson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0DE9A0AD-C3BA-4242-B3BA-3CC3F0D87894@microsoft.com... >I have 75 pie charts to create today. Is there a way to use named ranges >in > the data range box to speed this up? Thank you! I was making it too difficult, thinking I needed to include the Sheet name along with the name range. ...

Chart Total
I have a chart which displays 2 suppliers and their spend by month. I want a 3rd line which shows the total spend of these 2 vendors combined however I cannot figure out a method to do it. Any ideas? Typically, you would calculate this in the Row Source property of the chart. If you can't figure out how to do this, reply back with your current Row Source. -- Duane Hookom MS Access MVP "Ryan" <Ryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:12051B71-2291-425D-BC90-F621F134956E@microsoft.com... > I have a chart which displays 2 suppliers and th...

Question #4
How can I tell if my server is an Exchange bridgehead server? We only have 1 exchange 2003 server and no routing groups created. Thanks for any response! Strickly speaking, a bridgehead is a connection point between two routing groups, so no. But a bridgehead is also a connection point between two systems, so in a generic sense, maybe yes. :) On 15 Nov 2004 16:55:41 -0800, account4google@yahoo.com (Nand) wrote: >How can I tell if my server is an Exchange bridgehead server? We only >have 1 exchange 2003 server and no routing groups created. > >Thanks for any response! ...

Waterfall Charts
Does anybody have a step by step guide to creating waterfall charts? I have a training session to run on wednesday and I haven't got a clue where to start! Thanks in advance Diane Hi Diane, Here are a couple of resources, (http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Waterfall.html) (http://www.tushar-mehta.com/) Cheers Andy Diane wrote: > Does anybody have a step by step guide to creating > waterfall charts? I have a training session to run on > wednesday and I haven't got a clue where to start! > > Thanks in advance > > Diane -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP...

question about CImageList
hello! I'm wondering what can be the cause of GDI resource leakage in my app. I have a CListView in the report style and i'm using icons with each of the list items. Firstly I create a CImageList m_ImageList.Create(16, 16, ILC_MASK | ILC_COLORDDB,1,1000); and set it to the list GetListCtrl().SetImageList(&m_ImageList,LVSIL_SMALL); then I retirieve icons from the shell and add them to the image list SHGetFileInfo((LPCTSTR)pFile->GetPath(),0,&pShell,sizeof(SHFILEINFO), SHGFI_SYSICONINDEX | SHGFI_SMALLICON | SHGFI_ICON); m_ImageList.Add(pShell.hI...

Create an identical Chart Worksheet in Excel 2003
Hi: I used the F11 key to create a chart, which inserts just a chart as a new worksheet and gives it a default name, such as chart 2. My question is, can I create an identical chart as a new worksheet. This wouldn't be a copy, rather, a duplicate that is pulling information from the same location in the entire workbook. The reason I want to do this is because I currently have data for 12 different series, and each series has 7 values. What I would like to do is keep the same chart, but reduce the number of values per series from 7 to just 4. The easiest way seems to me to be to create ...

Outlook2002
I have 2 questions I would like to ask. Hope someone out there can help me. 1. I would like to be able to creat a command where I can send and delete an E-mail at the same time. This means that i would then be able to choose between a "SEND" command that would send the mail and save it as usual plus another command that would be "SEND & DELETE". 2. I would like to have the facility to be able to automatically (or by means of a tool icon) type the date and time that I'm updating a note within tasks. Thanks ...

ExMerge Questions
I need to delete all messages with a specific attachment name from our Information Stores. I tried ExMerge having looked at a few tutorials/readmes/articles and it seems to be doing the necessary, however there are a couple of outstanding issues: Firstly, our current environment (Exchange 2003 SP2) started life years back as an Exchange 5.5 environment, and when I run the export phase, many of the PST files have names based on the random directory name used for the mailbox so rather than "Joe Bloggs.pst" I have "E76EC87.pst" which is not ideal. Second...

Service Pack 2 Installation Questions
I have a few questions about the SP2. - Is it now supported? - Should I turn off the Exchange services as well as the AV services before the install? On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 09:41:02 -0800, "Griff" <Griff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a few questions about the SP2. > >- Is it now supported? Yes. > >- Should I turn off the Exchange services as well as the AV services before >the install? Disable all 3rd party services and manually stop Exch Services if desires. the update will stop the exch services manually however. Backups before and after ...

This might seems like a strange question but a Thread can'r run if the main Thread stops
Hi! I just want to make sure that have understood this correct. If the main thread stop than all other thread will stop and the application will exit. So without having a main thread running it's impossible to use any other threads. //Tony On 14-05-2010 20:39, Tony Johansson wrote: > I just want to make sure that have understood this correct. > If the main thread stop than all other thread will stop and the application > will exit. > > So without having a main thread running it's impossible to use any other > threads. Not true. Threads...

Excel chart data labels showing % change instead of value?
I'm needing to have my excel chart show me the percent change in my 2 series. I would like this in a data label over series 2 on the chart, but all I can figure out to do is have the value labeled. Does any one have any suggestions? I'm believe I'm using Excel 2002. You can use Rob Bovey's XY Chart Labeler. http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/ChartLabeler.htm "MFritz" <MFritz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:29317BE2-4574-4623-8D5E-A3BA97B3FAE6@microsoft.com... > I'm needing to have my excel chart show me the percent change in my 2...

Animated bar Charts
Anyone know how to take a simple bar chart, with say a value of 10 and through the press of a button have it animate and shrink in size down to 5 for example. In other words, I have tons of bars in a "before" case and also an "after" case and I want a macro or code to show the transition between those two. Any Ideas? -- gsimmons2005 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ gsimmons2005's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26385 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=...

Textbox on chart doesn't print in Office 2003, but does in 2007
I have some charts that I create through C# code on a "template" worksheet and then copy it over to a new worksheet using the following code. When looking at the chart.Shapes, I can see the three Textbox objects that I want and these are the only shapes available. I can see them on the screen in both Excel 2003 and 2007 correctly. When I print in 2003 though, the textboxes don't appear like they do for 2007. Can anyone shed some light on why this might be happening? // Copy the images and charts (note index starts at 1) for (int z = 1; z <= wsTemplate.Shapes.Count; ...

How to add a second axis to a chart?
I am trying to do a chart with items in Millions and in Units so I need a second axis. Please help. You can't select Secondary Axis until a second series is on the chart. Once you've done that, select Format Data Series and Axis to select the Secondary axis. "RLThomps" wrote: > I am trying to do a chart with items in Millions and in Units so I need a > second axis. Please help. ...

Doing charts in Excel 2000
i am still using the Excel in my Office 200 package. Where can I get udates to do better charts? All of the techniques shown here http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/index.html can be used to make more interesting chart best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "TVG" <TVG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CD14A74C-8018-40FC-AA4F-FA0925208A78@microsoft.com... >i am still using the Excel in my Office 200 package. Where can I get udates > to do better charts? ...

how to create a clustered, 100% stacked combination chart
I want to create a chart with 2 100% stacked columns to compare % of 2 different years. Hi, Maybe you can use the information here but using 100% stacked columns. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html Cheers Andy Keri in Vermont wrote: > I want to create a chart with 2 100% stacked columns to compare % of 2 > different years. -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

Combined bar and line chart (two Y axis) how to make excel know which data goes where
Hello all, after the super fast problem fixing last time i had a problem, i'd like to ask the excel collective for some more help... :) now trying to plot a combined bar chart and line graph. I basically want all the sets of data except one to appear as columns plotted against the axis on the left and the last set of data (which is a cumulative value of the data appearing for the columns) plotted against the right hand axis as a line. I can plot the graph fine, but out of the 7 sets of data which i want to appear as 6 sets of columns and one line, i get four sets of columns and three ...

Macro question
Whenever I try to run my macro, nothing happens. When I try to change the security settings through the Tools > Security option, nothing happens. I can do it at home but not at work. Is there a specific reason? I'm the administrator of the computer and I am not connected to any domain. Please help! -- Nocturnal We see this sometimes when another application starts Outlook before you = do and VBA never quite loads properly. Try shutting down Outlook and = using Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) to make sure it's really, really shut = down before you restart it. You may also w...

Question and Answer tables
I'm trying to create a set of question and answer tables, similar to the tables in Duane Hookom's "At Your Survey" sample application. In his answer table, the field for the response value is type Text. My question: What do you do about response values of other types, such as Numeric, Boolean, Multiple Choice, Option Groups, etc.? It is typically the case that not all questions in a list will be answered with text. Thanks, OldBlindPew I may be remembering an earlier version, but I thought Duane's At Your Survey allowed for more than one answer "type&...

Add 2nd Y axis in XY scatter chart?
Is there any way to add a second Y axis and then plot data associated with this axis in an XY scatter chart? If so, what are the steps? Thanks, Don Culp Hi Don, Add your data to the chart then double click the new data series. On the Axes tab of the format dialog chose Secondary axis. Cheers Andy Don Culp wrote: > Is there any way to add a second Y axis and then plot data associated with > this axis in an XY scatter chart? If so, what are the steps? > > Thanks, > Don Culp > > -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

Easy question regarding maintenance
Are there any guidelines or suggestions on how often an Exchange administrator should run the "Isinteg -alltests" and the "ESEUTIL" for the defrag? I'm sure it depends on the size and complexity of the organization - we're one site with about 400 users. My thought is about once a month but I don't want to overdo it if it's not needed. Any thoughts would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance. most experienced Exchange admins will tell you not to run these utilities against your database/s unless you have a specific problem that they will address...in ...

i need to create a chart from data from one workbook in another wo
hi new to excell so please be kind. i need to create a series of charts from different sets of data in one workbook, and have the charts show in another seperate workbook, and update automaticly when the data changes in the first workbook. i know how to create charts, its just that i can't get it linking from one workbook to another please help Mark Hi, An easy approach would be: Make the charts in the workbook containing the data. Cut and paste those charts into a new workbook. The charts are still linked to the original workbook. If you make changes in the data, the charts...

Question about Blanket PO
I have a Blanket purchase order that when viewed on the screen contains items. However, when printed out it is blanket. What is causing this error? Thanks in advance! do the quantities ordered exceed the quantities received for this PO? -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008 Documentation for Software Users Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and check out our books at http://www.AccoladePublications.com "dianeha" wrote: > I have a Blanket purchase order that when viewed on the screen contains > items. However, when printed out it is blanket....