PC always opens 3 workbooks

Every time I open a spreadsheet I get three workbooks opened.
One is the one I clicked on, another is called "book1"and the other
is called "personal [read only]".

I use a networked pc at work.

How do I change the settings so only the document I clicked on
is the one that opens?

--
Onky Wonky
Onky Wonky's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=34542

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Open excel.
Make personal.xls the active workbook
window|Hide
close excel and answer yes to the "do you want to save your changes to
personal.xls" prompt.

Personal.xls is a workbook in your XLStart folder that usually contains macros
that you want to have available each time you open excel.  But most people want
this file hidden so that it's not distracting.

Now try opening excel once more.

Did it work?

If not, take a look at your xlstart folder and see what files are there.

Post back with your results.

Many people only have their personal.xl* workbook and maybe a template or two
(book.xlt and/or sheet.xlt).  If you have more files there, try moving them
elsewhere and see if that helps.  (You'll have to move the files with excel
closed.)

Onky Wonky wrote:

> Every time I open a spreadsheet I get three workbooks opened.
> One is the one I clicked on, another is called "book1"and the other
> is called "personal [read only]".
>
> I use a networked pc at work.
>
> How do I change the settings so only the document I clicked on
> is the one that opens?
>
> --
> Onky Wonky
> Onky Wonky's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=34542
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=543084

--

Dave Peterson
0

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

> Every time I open a spreadsheet I get three workbooks opened.
> One is the one I clicked on, another is called "book1"and the other
> is called "personal [read only]".
>
> I use a networked pc at work.
>
> How do I change the settings so only the document I clicked on
> is the one that opens?
>

> --
> Onky Wonky
> Onky Wonky's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=34542
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=543084

0
dguillett1 (2487)
5/17/2006 10:07:49 PM
Thanks for the help, the personal workbook no longer opens.
However the book1.xls still opens.

I tried the suggested technique to book1 but it didn't work

--
Onky Wonk
Onky Wonky's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3454
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=54308

Is that workbook really named book1.xls?

If it is, check under your XLStart folder once more.

If you can't find it there, maybe using windows start button|search would help
you find it.

Onky Wonky wrote:

> Thanks for the help, the personal workbook no longer opens.
> However the book1.xls still opens.
>
> I tried the suggested technique to book1 but it didn't work.
>
> --
> Onky Wonky
> Onky Wonky's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=34542
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=543084

--

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12005)
5/17/2006 11:59:31 PM
Its definitely called book1.xls.
I found two XLStart folders from the search (one is office, the othe
office11)
Both contained "PERSONAL" and "Insert Visio Button.XLS"  (2 KB).

The problem with the PERSONAL workbook was solved though.
Could it be netowrk related?

I'm using Excel 2003 with SP1

--
Onky Wonk
Onky Wonky's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3454
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=54308

I would guess that the network has nothing to do with it.

I'd still look for book1.xls using windows search.

In fact, if you type this in A1 of book1.xls:

=cell("Filename",a1)

What do you see?

If the filename really includes that extension (.xls), then you should see the
complete path to that file--and you can close excel and use windows explorer to
delete it.

========
You can find the XLStart folder that excel wants to use (it'll find multiple
folders depending on your upgrade path) is to do this:

Open excel
hit alt-f11 to get to the VBE
hit ctrl-g to see the immediate window
type this and hit enter.
?application.startuppath

For me (xl2003 and winXP):
C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

That's where I'd keep the only files that I want opened when excel opens.

========
ps.  I'd move the "Insert Visio Button.XLS" workbook to a nice safe location,
too.  I don't see how a real .xls file can be only 2KB.  (A shortcut to another
file shows 1KB for me.)

Onky Wonky wrote:

> Its definitely called book1.xls.
> I found two XLStart folders from the search (one is office, the other
> office11)
> Both contained "PERSONAL" and "Insert Visio Button.XLS"  (2 KB).
>
> The problem with the PERSONAL workbook was solved though.
> Could it be netowrk related?
>
> I'm using Excel 2003 with SP1.
>
> --
> Onky Wonky
> Onky Wonky's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=34542
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=543084

--

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12005)

Pivot Table Custom Calculations #3
I have a pivot table with the "columns" set up as Budget - Actual - Variance for each month of the year. The rows are the expenses account, such as supplies, maintenance, etc. I want to be able to add the total of the "Actual" spent through September plus the "Budget" for October through December, basically to get a projected total by expense for the year. How can I do this? Thanks for your help! You could add a column to the source data, and calculate which amount should be used. Then add that field to the pivot table. For example, with dates in colum...

open and repair
i have an excel 2000 workbook that when you try to open it it says it i corrupt .. the fix i got was to go to file, open from the drop down menu on th open button ,select open and repair. I can only see, open , open rea only , open as copy . what am i doing wrong .thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi philthedil! Open and Repair option was only introduced from Excel 2002 Here's a resource post on recovery of corrupted files. I've checked out all the links referred to. Additional comments and suggested additions are welcome. Some of the most frantic and de...

Cant open some mails in OWA2K
We have big problems opening some mails in OWA :- Some mails we cant open in OWA, but when we connect via VPN and Outlook 2K or 2K3 we can open them We get this error in OWA The page cannot be found The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. HTTP 404 - File not foun Internet Information Service We are running SBS2K SP1a fully patched and up to dat Can anyone please explain how to fix it :-) I expect you've got IISLockdown and URLScan installed. This will help: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=320089 -- Neil Hobson Excha...

Reports not opening
The reports created in a MS Access database are not opening. Also the icon to open a new report in design view is not working either. I think it something related to the settings, but I can quite figure it out. I tried to put the security level in Low but it did not work.Any help is appreciated. This is almost always due to either not having a default printer defined in the Windows Control Panel or an old printer driver. -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP If I have helped you, please help me by donating to UCP http://www.access.hookom.net/UCP/Default.htm "Toly" wrote: ...

Rental Addon #3
We are pleased to announce release of RentMe addon for RMS 2.0 and 1.3 You can view nine minute video here. http://www.retail-pos.com/2008-06-10%2020.38%20Meet%20Now.wmv Please contact us for detailed information. Ian McLean RMS sales(AT)retail-pos.com ...

Adding Web Parts in Bus Portal 3
I have a demo environment I created. Bus Portal 3 is up and running. I'm trying to add web parts of any type to a page and keep getting a Sharepoint page with an error. Does anybody know why you wouldn't be able to add web parts. -- Charles Allen, MVP SharePoint can be one frustrating..... Are you mixing SharePoint web parts? Trying to use an Office SharePoint Server web part on a wss 3.0 server? Are you trying to view the page with Anonymous access? Does it work with a logged in user? VinceV "Charles Allen" wrote: > I have a demo environment I created. Bus ...

cant open jpeg attachments in 2003
As a user, I am not able to open jpeg attachments in Outlook 2003. I can save the attachment to the hard drive and then open it, but not in Outlook. It says not enough rights. As a admin, it works fine. Before upgrading to 2003 from Office XP, there was no problem. ...

can not open Outlook #2
For some strange reason, I get an error message "an error has occured with Microsoft Outlook, and has to close", everytime I open outlook. It just started to happen out of blue, as it was working fine earlier. I was wondering if there is anyway to trouble shoot besides wipe out outlook and reinstall it. Thanks Wiping out and reinstalling does nothing 99% of the time. Try running Detect and Repair first. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my perso...

aging workbook
I need to create an a/r aging workbook using the following information: Col A Acct # Col B Name Col C Date Col D Beg Bal Col E Charges Col F Payments Col G New Bal I've tried pivot tables, queries, but my problem is that except for Beg Bal, the Charges, Payments, and New Bal change each month. I've tried setting up a workbook with Beg Bal @ the 1st of Jan., but I need something that will help me apply new charges and payments, equaling a new balance, then calculate aging in 30, 60, 90, etc. buckets. Hope I'm stating this clearly enough. Any help will be greatly appreci...

Footer #3
i have following contents need to display in excel every page. anyway that can fullfill the request. I am using excel 2003 e.g contents approval by hod approval owner approval _________ ____________ ____________ audit aprroval implemented by reviewed by ___________ ______________ ____________ Something like this Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean) With ActiveSheet.PageSetup .LeftFooter = "Some text" .CenterFooter = "Some text" .RightFooter = "Some text" End With End Sub 'This is work...

pasting row to another workbook prompts because same defined name exists in new book
I have a set of weekly spreadsheets, all the same except for the dat that is entered onto them. What we ned to do is cut and paste lines from last weeks workbook int this weeks one. The problem is I have set up data validation on one o the columns based on a list of names, and so now it prompts ever singl time we try to paste into the new workbook, because the same define name 'tradelist' is in the new sheet. is there any way I can stop this prompt somehow because tis driving u mad and taking up time clicking yes or not (when it makes no differenc if we click yes OR no because its e...

Opening a web page through VB
I am launching the browser from Menu Item that is added to Menu bar in Microsoft Project using COM ADD IN. I am trying to call the browser in two ways 1. Using shell command directly passing url to the explore.exe Here the browser gets opened properly but control is not returned back to MSP and I have to close the MSP forcibly as it's not responding Private Declare Function WaitForSingleObject Lib "kernel32" (ByVal _ hHandle As Long, ByVal dwMilliseconds As Long) As Long Private Declare Function CreateProcessA Lib "kernel32" (ByVal _ lpApplicat...

Outlook 2003 calender problem driving me nuts ! #3
Hi guys, This is my first post here - and my last hope before I go completeley insane ! I am having a problem with MS Outlook 2003 calender. I have looked extensively on the net, but can not see anything remotely like this. Every date in every view is duplicated - in the individual day boxes, and in the view header.I have attached a screen dump. Please, please, please can someone tell me what is causing this ? I have reinstalled numerous times, but it eventually returns ? Thanks in advance ...

OAGIS Version 8.0 SP 3 Validation w/ MSXML 4.0 VS.NET 2K3
I am trying to build a .NET assembly which will contain the OAGIS schemas using OAGIS version 8.0 SP 3. When I try to validate the schemas, specifically the Order.xsd schema, I get the following error: Invalid particle derivation by restriction: Order.xsd line 16 I have searched google, the yahoo group and several other sources and found that other users are experiencing the same thing. Do you have any information about this error, and do you know if this is a Microsoft specific problem? It appears that the error is occurring because the Order restriction has the following format: <...

SearchIndexer Service Always Running
I've changed this service to "mamual" so it will only start when needede but it still is running. Is there something else that triggers it to start? My files are not indexed. -- Retired Boeing Bill Have you tried to right-click on entire harddisk of your choice, e.g. C:\ in Windows Explorer-->Properties-->General. UNCHECK checkbox whic says "index this drive"? That is one of my first actions when configuring new computers. That & disabling a myriad other "pesty" supposedly useful but in reality processor-hogging processes is my ...

How to update a linked spreadsheet without opening it?
Hello experts, I have two Excel 2000 spreadsheets, S1 and S2. S1 is linked to S2. When values in S2 are changed and saved, I need S1 to update its value itself WITHOUT ME MANUALLY OPENING S1 AND UPDATING IT. Can I update S1 without opening it and how? Thanks vey much for your help -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi AFAIK no chance to do this -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > Hello experts, > > I have two Excel 2000 spreadsheets, S1 and S2. S1 is linked to S2. > > When values in S2 are changed and saved, I need S1 to update its > values ...

Change "1,2,3..." to "one,two,three..."
How can I change "1,2,3..." to "one,two,three..." in Excel? Using Format or does excel got this function build in? Thank you! No built-in. At http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0004.html there are some examples of converting numbers to words, but they tend to be for monetary amounts, so you will probably need to call it a number of times and concatenate the results. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "q0_0p" <q0_0p@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:36C5C77E-D908-424E-B74C-E3FBB9A403E6@microsoft.co...

XP crashes/freezes after opening Outlook 2000
After installing a recommended "patch" from Microsoft for Outlook 2000, my XP home ver will freeze up EVERY time I open Outlook 2000; This did not occur before I installed this patch. It has now been long enough that I do not know what exactly I installed, and how to uninstall it. Any help out there? ...

Double Click picture frame to open Clip Art
How to I set Publisher 2003 to open clip art directly when double clicking my picture frame. In 2000 this was the default. Now in 2003 it goes directly to My Documents. Right-click the frame, click change picture, select clipart. Actually in 2000 if you drew the empty picture frame, the Gallery opened automatically. Nice thing about the empty picture frame in 2003, you can place it anywhere, click through the clipart, each picture you click will fill the frame. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Lance" <...

Office 2004, opening apps and corrupt fonts
When I try to open either Word or Excel (updated to 11.3.5) on my Mac, I get messages that all these fonts are corrupt. I keep hitting ok, but there seems to be no end to it and it happens each time.<br> <br> I completely reinstalled the software (at the expense of one of my installs) and get the same result. When I check the fonts in the Mac OSX software Font Book, it tells me all the fonts identified by Office as "corrupt" are fine. I did throw out some fonts that Font Book identified as corrupt.<br> <br> Help. I can't use the software like this.<br&g...

PDF can't open directly from Outlook2k3
I got this problem. I can't open an PDF-file directly from Outlook 2003. I get this info: The file you are trying to open can contain virus. And then I can only hit the SAVE or CANCEL button. There is no OPEN button. I don't have problems with any other files. Any ideas? The Outlook E-Mail Security blocks access to .exe, .com and other "dangerous" files. Outlook 2003 allows the user to use a registry key to open up access to blocked attachments. Run Regedit, and go to this key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Security Under that key, add a ...

Outlook Unable To Open Default E-mail Folders
Hi, I run Windows XP Home Edition. Today, Outlook 2003 hung up on me. had to manually restart my computer. When it came up, and I starte using Outlook, I noticed that the data from the Sent Folders File wa unviewable. I was instructed to run scanpst to help correct the problem. searched for the path to get to Outlook data... C:\Documents and Settings\bobried\local settings\applicatio data\microsoft\outlook\outlook.pst I opened scanpst, tried to follow the above path, only to find that hit a dead end at local settings. I tried to reopen Outlook, and now it will not open at all. Th...

Subreport always appears blank (even during basic testing with no parameters!)
I have a subreport in my report that takes a set of basic parameters. It does not appear on my main report when the main report is run. As a test, I decided to create a simple subreport with no parameters and only a text field. It also does not display on my report. As a further test, I decided to create an entirely new project with only a main report and a subreport that displays the word "test". It will still not display on my main report. There are no errors at any stage. Does anybody have any idea as to what could be wrong? Zack Is it not working in preview tab...

Win Live Mail won't open
I took Steve and Gary's advice and installed Win Live Mail as a solution for dumping corrupt Windows Mail. Everything downloaded and installed fine but when I go to open it I get a window saying "Please wait while windows configures mail". Then the CPU light flickers a few times, the window disappears, and nothing opens. I tried uninstalling, repairing, added Writer just to see if anything would happen -- Writer seems ready to go, opens, asks me for blog url and all that -- but no effect on mail. There are no system requirements issues as I have a dual core lapt...

Virtual pc 2004 question
I am installing the microsoft virtual pc 2004 and the service pack 1 for the first time and I am getting the following message: Virtual PC could not open the Virtual Machine Network Services driver. Access to the external network and host will be unavailable to all virtual machines using virtual networking. Virtual machines using virtual networking will still be able to access other virtual machines using virtual networking. To fix this problem, re-enable the Virtual Machine Network Services driver on one or more ethernet adapters or reinstall Virtual PC. I do not know what the Virtua...