Password protect cells

I have a sheet that people need to enter data into, but I have a problem
with people deleting the formulas in other cells.
Does anyone know if there is a way to password protect one or several
cells without protecting the entire sheet?
0
veenes (4)
3/13/2006 9:02:58 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

You can lock cells or unlock cells (format|cells|protection tab).

After you lock/unlock cells, you can protect the worksheet
(tools|protection|protect sheet)

When the worksheet is protected, the user won't be able to changed the locked
cells, but will be able to change the values in the unlocked cells.

There are other things that are disabled when the sheet is protected (you'll
want to test to see if you need any of these features).

But be aware that worksheet protection is easily broken--but it will make it
somewhat safer for the lives of your formulas.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Protection is a two part process (by default ALL cells are locked, so
applying protection to the sheet will lock them ALL). Select the cells you
wish UN-protected and go to Format>Cells...>Protection and un-check locked,
then protect the sheet via Tools>Protection>Protect Sheet... These cells
will now be changeable, with the others locked

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"Punky" <veenes@postmaster.co.uk> wrote in message
>I have a sheet that people need to enter data into, but I have a problem
>with people deleting the formulas in other cells.
> Does anyone know if there is a way to password protect one or several
> cells without protecting the entire sheet?

Thank you very much. That was the angle I was missing.
Will the users still be able to save the sheet though?

Dave Peterson wrote:

> You can lock cells or unlock cells (format|cells|protection tab).
>
> After you lock/unlock cells, you can protect the worksheet
> (tools|protection|protect sheet)
>
> When the worksheet is protected, the user won't be able to changed the locked
> cells, but will be able to change the values in the unlocked cells.
>
> There are other things that are disabled when the sheet is protected (you'll
> want to test to see if you need any of these features).
>
> But be aware that worksheet protection is easily broken--but it will make it
> somewhat safer for the lives of your formulas.
>
> Punky wrote:
>
>>I have a sheet that people need to enter data into, but I have a problem
>>with people deleting the formulas in other cells.
>>Does anyone know if there is a way to password protect one or several
>>cells without protecting the entire sheet?

0
veenes (4)
3/13/2006 11:02:19 PM
Thank you!

Nick Hodge wrote:

> Punky
>
> Protection is a two part process (by default ALL cells are locked, so
> applying protection to the sheet will lock them ALL). Select the cells you
> wish UN-protected and go to Format>Cells...>Protection and un-check locked,
> then protect the sheet via Tools>Protection>Protect Sheet... These cells
> will now be changeable, with the others locked

0
veenes (4)
3/13/2006 11:02:57 PM
They'll still be able to save the workbook.

Punky wrote:

> Thank you very much. That was the angle I was missing.
> Will the users still be able to save the sheet though?
>
> Dave Peterson wrote:
>
> > You can lock cells or unlock cells (format|cells|protection tab).
> >
> > After you lock/unlock cells, you can protect the worksheet
> > (tools|protection|protect sheet)
> >
> > When the worksheet is protected, the user won't be able to changed the locked
> > cells, but will be able to change the values in the unlocked cells.
> >
> > There are other things that are disabled when the sheet is protected (you'll
> > want to test to see if you need any of these features).
> >
> > But be aware that worksheet protection is easily broken--but it will make it
> > somewhat safer for the lives of your formulas.
> >
> > Punky wrote:
> >
> >>I have a sheet that people need to enter data into, but I have a problem
> >>with people deleting the formulas in other cells.
> >>Does anyone know if there is a way to password protect one or several
> >>cells without protecting the entire sheet?

--

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12004)

How do I unprotect a protected module Registration DB (Excel erro.
I just installed MS Office 2003 Professional. Everytime I open Excel, there is a MS Visual Basic dialog box which states "Compile error in hidden module: Registration: DB." I do not understand what it means, or how I should fix it. Can someone help me? I had been using Office 95 previously so I do understand Excel, but have never run into "modules" before. I tried using Excel Help but still am clear as to what I should do to get rid of the message. Thank you. If you search the MS Knowledge Base, you find the following SYMPTOMS When you start or quit Microsof...

Password protect
How do I password protect a shared excel book so that people have read only access but so thta I can have write access? This should work. 1. In your shared workbook, hit F12 to bring up the 'Save As' dialog box. 2. Click Tools>General Options 3. Enter a password to modify the file. 4. Don't share the password. HTH, JP On Jan 8, 11:51=A0am, GeoSte <Geo...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How do I password protect a shared excel book so that people have read onl= y > access but so thta I can have write access? ...

too many different formatting cells
I can't open an excel document because whem I try to open it says that too many different formatting cells. How to resolve this and open this document? Maybe... XL: Error Message: Too Many Different Cell Formats http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=213904 A few people have said that OpenOffice.Org has been able to open the file. Then they clean it up and save it there. Then excel can open that cleaned up version. http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-104 meg download or a CD jo wrote: > > I can't open an excel document because whem I try to open it says that too >...

Use cell value as cell address
Hello everyone. I have a worksheet "Main" of 39,000 rows in which column B contains a number between 1 and 7,500. Column C is an empty column I have added. The second sheet, "Names" in the book contains a single column - A - of 7,500 names. I want to get the value from the second sheet that matches the number column of the first sheet. In other words, if "Main" cell B3 contains 3780, I want to put the value from "Names" cell A3780 into "Main" C3. How do I do this please? Richard --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi tr...

Protection Problem #3
I have a 3 sheet excel file with protection on all 3 sheets (let's call them A, B and C). These 3 pages have formulas that link to each other. Sheet A has a few checkboxes that link to sheet C. The problem is that when I try to check any of the check boxes on sheet A an error box pops up that says "The cell or chart you are trying to change is protected and therefore read only". Is there a way to protect a sheet while being able to check a box off that is linked to another sheet? What protection options would allow me to do this? Thanks in advance. Dave -- Dave123 ----------...

Formulas showing in cell???
I keep getting a formula showing in the cell after I edit i (occasionally). Show formulas is turned off and edit in cell is on. How can I make the formula go awaw and simply show the results whic when edited the results shows correctly? -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi probably the cell is formated as 'Text' change the cell format to 'General' and re-enter your formula -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > I keep getting a formula showing in the cell after I edit it > (occasionally). Show formulas is turned off and edit in cell is on. >...

Passwords #2
I want users to have to put in a password when they open outlook. I have selected the check box on the outlook settings to have it prompt for a password. When it prompts for the password it wants to authenticate to the exchange server and not with active directory. Am I forgetting something? You can't authenticate to Exchange - Exchange doesn't have the capability to do so. You may see the Exchange server listed, but rest assured, the authentication is taking place with Active Directory. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP "Tbaker" <Tbaker@discussions.microsoft.com&g...

How to get total "conditional sum of cells" in a column?
Hi all, I have dollar amounts in one col, and status in another. I want the sum of those dollar amounts where the corresponding status cell is empty (blank). How do I do this? Thanks for any hints, cdj Status in Column A and dollar amounts in Column B: =SUMPRODUCT((A2:A100="")*B2:B100) -- HTH Sandy In Perth, the ancient capital of Scotland and the crowning place of kings sandymann2@mailinator.com Replace @mailinator.com with @tiscali.co.uk "sherifffruitfly" <sherifffruitfly@gmail.com> wrote in message news:bc08584b-1338-4b3f-8ab3-cc3e1602e581@n1g2000prb.go...

How to only "paste values" of cells that are not "hidden"?
Hello, In my document, many columns are hidden. Say column B is hidden, and I need to copy columns A and C and paste values into another Excel document. How can I do that? When I select columns A and C, copy and paste values, the other document contains columns A,B and C, instead of just columns A and C. Thank you! Don't drag-select, control-click A and then C, for scattered-selection. Danny On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 16:33:01 -0700, Sam <Sam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hello, > > In my document, many columns are hidden. Say column B is hidden, &g...

PST PAssword Recovery #2
Dear All , How can i recover my PST file password in Outlook 2003. If any 3rd party tool is available please send me the link. Kishore Dear Kishore have a look on this sites: http://www.slipstick.com/problems/scanpst.asp http://www.lostpassword.com/outlook.htm http://www.mapilab.com/office/password_recovery/ Maybe it helps. -- Oliver Vukovics Share Outlook without Exchange: Public ShareFolder Synchronisation for Notebooks: Public SyncTool http://www.publicshareware.com "Brinesh Kishore" <bbk.news@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:uNOCy5odHHA.5044@TK2MSFTNGP05.p...

how do i copy a formula when cell references r not together
in cell reference H5 i have a formula H4*H3, I have copied this formula through to DG5. In cell reference H7 I have a formula H6*H3 which i have also copied through to DG7.I have formulas right down to cell reference H299 (H298*H3) Is there a quick way to repeat the copy bearing in mind the cell references are not together ie H5, H7, H9 and so on. Jon, Copy cells H6:H7, then select H6:H299 and pastespecial formulas. Just make sure your formula is =H6*$H$3 HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "jon104" <jon104@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DDAB488A-5CDA-47A2-AD...

Password Protect a Workbook
I have a workbook that has 5 different worksheets. This workbook is saved everyday with a new date behind the name to reflect the current date data. I need to password protect the entire workbook so that it holds for each time it is saved. How do I do this? When I go to file->saveas- ..Tools-> and assign a password it works for that workbook, but when I resave the workbook with a new name, I have to reset it all. Can I automate this somehow or is there a different way to do what I am trying to do. I only want the password there so admin's can make changes. I want eve...

Scrolling through cells
I'm having trouble scrolling through the cells using the arrows. When I was typing in a cell I used to be able to press one of the arrow keys and it would automatically go to the next cell. Now when I press the arrow key is sticks the next cell in as part of a formula. I'm not sure what's happened to change this. Can anyone help???? thanks :) You are probably in Extend mode. This happens when you press F8. It shows "EXT" in the Status bar (to the right) Press F8 again to deactivate this. -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "alice" &l...

Overwriting a cell with a formula without deleting the formula
Hello. I am creating an Expense Report worksheet and have created a simple formula that will calculate mileage based on total miles. Below is my worksheet data. A B C D 1 Expense Type Acct. Code Total Miles Amount 2 Airfare 11111 $250.00 3 Mileage 22222 20 $10.00 I am trying to figure out a way to create a conditional formula so that IF Expense...

Highlight changes within cell
Good morning! Using Excel 2003 I need to highlight the changes I’m making within a cell. For example: In cell B2, is the customer’s original order quantity of 200. I revise it to show 225 and I’d like the cell to be highlighted in yellow. I can then copy and paste the info into an email to show the customer which items have been revised. I’ve tried using Track Changes, but it seems that I have to click on the Track Changes button each time I open the workbook. It also doesn’t keep the revision highlighted for a copy and paste. I have 20+ worksheets within the workbook an...

How do I use text in a cell as a range name in a formula
If cell A1 had the text TEST in it and TEST is the name I have given to a group of cells using the name box what formula can I use to give me the sum of TEST, thats is the sum of the cells in the group called TEST. I understand that I can simply have =SUM(TEST), but I want the formula to refer to Cell A1 to get the name ie =SUM(A1) doesn't work obviously Any help appreciated Thank you In this case, you want to use the INDIRECT function. E.g., =SUM(INDIRECT(A1)) -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Kiwi" &...

deleting duplicate cells
I am back again... Thanks to everyone's help here last time, I was able to finish all my work and do it correctly. Ken- I asked last time i was here about deleting duplicate cells. Some of the names(address, etc) are repeated in my sheet. I want to delete the extra cell of the people who are in here twice. Not jus the cell but their record, name, address, city, state zip when they are in their twice so that they will only be listed once. You told me how to do this once but i cant find where it is on the board. Thanks for all the help.... BR4 -----------------------------------------...

Bug? Multiple values in merged cells
I found that merged cells can contain multiple values. Steps to reproduce: Type 1,2,3,4 in a1:d1 type sum(a1:d1) in e1 Select a1:b1 and merge Warning : MultipleData, overwrite? Say yes to merge Select the merged a1:b1 cells Copy Select c1 PasteSpecial Formats No warning.. no overwrite. c1:d1 are now merged BUT d1 still contains a value... and the SUM of a1:d1 = 8 !! Also happens with FormatPainter etc Behaviour observed in xl97,xlXP and xl2003 Error checking will find no fault in the sheet... and you can spend ages to find out WHY your cross sums dont match! (although now that i fou...

Find Blank Cells
I wish to replace the blank cells in a large database with a zero (0). I cannot figure out how to find a blank cell using the Find and Replace option under the Edit menu. Can anyone show me the way? Hi Peter, I always use CTRL+H to bring up the find and replace menu, leave the fine part empty, and put in what you want to replace it with....however, I do notice you say in a "database"? Do you mean in Access?? Dave M. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.Exc...

COLOUR CHANGE IS A CELL
Cyber taz What I am trying to do is use say a red coulured cell but when text is added to the cell it changes colour to green. The other thing if possible a drop down menu in a cell so when clicked on it offers three of four selection For example today tomorow yesterday day after And once one wes highlighted it would show in the cell. Thankls for your help it is really apprereciated. You can use data validation to create a dropdown list in a cell. There are instructions in Excel's help, and here: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html Mav wrote: > Cyber taz > What I am...

reset protection
anyway to reset a sheets protection settings to default? Thanks, Steve default meaning __________? -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Steven" <me@where.why> wrote in message news:vNxgc.1417$lN.1200@newsfe2-gui.server.ntli.net... > anyway to reset a sheets protection settings to default? > > Thanks, > > Steve > > back to a new XL sheet settings Steve "Don Guillett" <donaldb@281.com> wrote in message news:ujbvTBWJEHA.3040@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > default meaning __________? > > -- > Don Guillett > S...

CSV file with 13space characters in blank cells
In my office we've just received a recurring report which has been modified (by someone. Previously (a CSV file) the Data area (say A1:M30 ) had numbers or blank cells representing 0 (zero) values. Now, however the blank cells ARE NOT BLANK (although they appear blank) all cells without numbers have 13 hard-space values in them, which is causing #VALUE! problems; I temporarily added an intermediate sheet with formula: =IF(ISNUMBER(VALUE(MySheet!B2)),MySheet!B2,0) to eliminate the #Value! problem; Is there a better way? I'm sure there is, just not certain at this point in time. Any ...

Hidden Cells #2
I have user who has a spreadsheet and the cells on colum A appear to be empty. However when you click on a cell, the information appears above in the field where you can change text. That field has a lower case fx in front of it. Anyhow I think the user clicked a setting the hides the information in the cell. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Hi Anthony Maybe the font is set to white -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Anthony" <Anthony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:91D96835-23ED-4985-BE65-45187475EE03@microsoft.com... > I ha...

Protected Mode not working??
Last week I was running IE7 and noticed that even though the "Enable Protected Mode" tick box under Tools > Internet Options > Security was properly checked the Status Bar at the bottom of the main screen said "Protected Mode: Off". So I installed IE8, but it still said the same. So I reset the security level to "Default" and re Set the tick box, clicked Apply, and restarted IE and the status bar still says the protected mode is off. What is going on here? What can I do about it. Ted Smith Vista SP1? You're logged in to the Adm...