Page Setup: Sheet: Print Titles: Rows to Repeat at top

In excel  I am getting different results when I go to set up a page for
printing and I don't understand why.

In the page setup dialog on the sheet tab there is a section labeled Print
Titles, and there is a selection area for selecting rows to repeat at the
top of a page, say for column headers.

On some worksheets I can edit this and choose the rows, while on other
worksheets this feature appears to be disabled.  I am at a loss to
understand how the worksheets are different or how to get back the control
on those worksheets where this is disabled.  Can anyone help me on this?
Thank you for any help.

Henry Stock,

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

On Jul 31, 12:38 am, "Henry Stock" <henry.st...@myquest-tech.com>
wrote:
> In excel  I am getting different results when I go to set up a page for
> printing and I don't understand why.
>
> In the page setup dialog on the sheet tab there is a section labeled Print
> Titles, and there is a selection area for selecting rows to repeat at the
> top of a page, say for column headers.
>
> On some worksheets I can edit this and choose the rows, while on other
> worksheets this feature appears to be disabled.  I am at a loss to
> understand how the worksheets are different or how to get back the control
> on those worksheets where this is disabled.  Can anyone help me on this?
> Thank you for any help.
>
> Henry Stock,

I may not have your final answer, but I have noticed this before too.

When working on a document, if you select Page Setup from the File
Menu, it will allow you to modify the Sheet level settings such as the
Rows to Repeat at the Top.  When you select Print Preview first, then
Page Setup from within that window, it won't allow you to select those
settings.  I've never understood why, but I've caught on, so when I
need to make changes, I close the Print Preview and enter the Page
Setup the normal way.  A bit of a pain, but that seems to fix it for
me.

Otherwise.... perhaps there is protection to the sheets that prevent
access to those settings?

There is a logic to this - if you select Page Setup from Print
Preview, then you have already selected the print area etc, so the
Sheet settings tab is not available. As you have found, you need to
exit the Print Preview window in order to access the full Page Setup
features directly.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jul 31, 6:03 am, Matt <mcvanoli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 31, 12:38 am, "Henry Stock" <henry.st...@myquest-tech.com>
> wrote:
>
> > In excel  I am getting different results when I go to set up a page for
> > printing and I don't understand why.
>
> > In the page setup dialog on the sheet tab there is a section labeled Print
> > Titles, and there is a selection area for selecting rows to repeat at the
> > top of a page, say for column headers.
>
> > On some worksheets I can edit this and choose the rows, while on other
> > worksheets this feature appears to be disabled.  I am at a loss to
> > understand how the worksheets are different or how to get back the control
> > on those worksheets where this is disabled.  Can anyone help me on this?
> > Thank you for any help.
>
> > Henry Stock,
>
> I may not have your final answer, but I have noticed this before too.
>
> When working on a document, if you select Page Setup from the File
> Menu, it will allow you to modify the Sheet level settings such as the
> Rows to Repeat at the Top.  When you select Print Preview first, then
> Page Setup from within that window, it won't allow you to select those
> settings.  I've never understood why, but I've caught on, so when I
> need to make changes, I close the Print Preview and enter the Page
> Setup the normal way.  A bit of a pain, but that seems to fix it for
> me.
>
> Otherwise.... perhaps there is protection to the sheets that prevent
> access to those settings?

0
pashurst (2576)
7/31/2007 8:18:29 AM
"Select Rows to Repeat" is enabled only when you have a single sheet
selected and use File>PageSetup.

Selecting multiple sheets and then File>PageSetup>Sheet and you'll find most
everything disabled, just like when you access PageSetup from PrintPreview.
I always assumed PrintPreview simply wasn't smart enough to know whether
multiple sheets were being printed or not, so it assumes that they are. :-)

"Matt" <mcvanolinda@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Jul 31, 12:38 am, "Henry Stock" <henry.st...@myquest-tech.com>
> wrote:
>> In excel  I am getting different results when I go to set up a page for
>> printing and I don't understand why.
>>
>> In the page setup dialog on the sheet tab there is a section labeled
>> Print
>> Titles, and there is a selection area for selecting rows to repeat at the
>> top of a page, say for column headers.
>>
>> On some worksheets I can edit this and choose the rows, while on other
>> worksheets this feature appears to be disabled.  I am at a loss to
>> understand how the worksheets are different or how to get back the
>> control
>> on those worksheets where this is disabled.  Can anyone help me on this?
>> Thank you for any help.
>>
>> Henry Stock,
>
> I may not have your final answer, but I have noticed this before too.
>
> When working on a document, if you select Page Setup from the File
> Menu, it will allow you to modify the Sheet level settings such as the
> Rows to Repeat at the Top.  When you select Print Preview first, then
> Page Setup from within that window, it won't allow you to select those
> settings.  I've never understood why, but I've caught on, so when I
> need to make changes, I close the Print Preview and enter the Page
> Setup the normal way.  A bit of a pain, but that seems to fix it for
> me.
>
> Otherwise.... perhaps there is protection to the sheets that prevent
> access to those settings?

multiple flyers per page?

Summing Alternate Rows
We have spreadsheets with many rows and need to sum alternate rows. Is there a way to do this without entering a formula using the number of each row? -- KarenQ ------------------------------------------------------------------------ KarenQ's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=19608 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=395115 Try this: =SUMPRODUCT(--(MOD(ROW($A$1:$A$18),2)=1),$A$1:$A$18) That formula sums odd-row values in the range A1:A18. To sum even-row values the formula is: =SUMPRODUCT(--(MOD(ROW($A$1:$A$18...

printing 2 charts on single page

Global Column Row Preview Font Size

Referencing cells across sheets

printing multiple copies of Sigel GmbH

printing imported gif files in Excel

TSP100 printer and print width
Hi all, After pull my hair out for a half of day, I just find out that TSP100 printer driver reports its print width incorrectly when we use GetDeviceCaps to retrieve print width. Call GetDeviceCaps with PHYSICALWIDTH will report 1725 that is roughtly equal to 8.5 inches corresponding to 203ppi that LOGPIXELSX reported. Just let you all know This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0048_01C92EF4.F767C240 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable After you installed the printer, did you change the p...

How to place a stable title row?
Hi there! For a scientific analyse I need to create an Excel table with more than 1.000 rows content. Now, how can I create a title row that doesn't scroll with the rest of the content, so one that is always visible at the top, while you scroll up and down the rest of the content. I hope that's possible like this! Otherwise, it will be pretty difficult to enter the data into the correct (of about 15) column. Thanks for your help in advance! One way: Assuming headers are in row1, Select A2. Click Window > Freeze pane This freezes the 1st row, so it always remains in view w...

Printing in reverse order
When I try to print from excel and want the apges to print in reverse order (i.e first page of document printed last) even if I select this feature from the print setup exel still prints the first page first!! Is there a fix available?? I use Office XP (2002) and HP printers Thank you Printing options available in Excel are limited by the available connected printer(s). Any issues with printing are generally associated to the printer and drivers installed, not with Excel itself. Verify your printer actually supports reverse printing and that you have the latest drivers installed for ...

Printing contacts finally partially repaired
Two printing problems with Outlook 2007, the first solved, the second still not solved. First: So, finally, I don't know when, Outlook was repaired such that one could print out individual contacts as detailed address cards. This was broken for quite some time. Anyway, now those of us who choose to print out copies of address books are once again rewarded with this possibility. BUT..there is always a but, Outlook does not yet completely properly format the printing for all of the book and booklet possibilities which the software presents, especially for doing double...

How do I print to non A4 paper on an HP 450C Plotter from Publish.
Running Publisher 2003 (fully patched) on a Windows 2000 SP4 (fully patched) laptop, when I print to a HP 450C Plotter (connected to a SBS 2003 server) I can only print the top left A4 "Window" of the job. Prior to upgrading to Office 2003 (running office 2000) there was no probloems in plotting up to a full A0 job. Does anyone have any idea of what is going on and more importantly is there a fix or work-around? Have you asked HP? They have many, many support documents as well as drivers. This would be a printer problem rather than a Publisher issue. I'd look for you but ...

XML Mapping: Creating a "non-repeating schema element" in VS2005
Question regarding XML mapping in Excel. XML Mapping in Excel allows you to map "non-repeating schema elements" to an individual cell while "repeating schema elements" automatically get handled as an Excel "list". I want a table(XML/XSD) exported from a VS2005 dataset to be CELL mappable rather than LIST mappable. Is there a way to make Excel interpret the native dataset XML/XSD as non-repeating? Said differently, what makes a schema element "repeating" versus "non-repeating"? Is it a unique XPATH statement? If my underlying table has...

Setting up Word to automatically open in Standard mode, zoom=page margins
I've tried to find ways to handle this through the normal.dot file and can't find it... Word wants to open in layout mode and 200% zoom, forcing me to manually select mode and zoom. Any way to get Word to do what I want instead of what it wants? Thanks for your time. ===== Edward Lipsett Fukuoka, Japan Hi Edward: Word will open each document in the view and zoom it as last saved in. The onyl way to have a particular view happen every time is to create an AutoOpen() macro that specifies the view you want. Turn on your Macro Recorder and record yourself setting the view and zo...

Print a list of movies
I have a spreadsheet with 2 columns (No and Name of Movie). There are 322 rows. I would like to print this so that I have the first 44 rows on the left side of the page and the next 44 rows on the right side of the page. I would like to keep this setup on all pages. These cells have color formatting and numbers that I need to keep with each cell. How do I do this? -- Terri Sprague www.tlsprague.com Hi Teri, See http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/snakecol.htm --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/...

Check if date is between two dates, then sum only those rows
I have tab1 with begin date in column A, end date in column B. Basically they are weeks, Mon-Sun (e.g. 01/04/2010 and 01/10/2010 in A/B resp.). Tab2 has data I'd like to count and sum. The transaction date is in column B. I want to sum tab2 column G (and a few other columns). Tab2 will be dynamic as I add records to it. Tab1 remains static with each week comprising one row. -- streetcar The best tool for it is a pivot table. Put in your layaut col A & B in row section, col G in Data section (double click to change it to sum - "sumarize by") Click yes...

Printing job
Nothing to do with this group, but today someone sent me 40 large index cards and sayings she'd like printed on them (in large, black type- which is good because the red doesn't work on my color cartridge (LOL) She enclosed a check for $20. (She is a friend, I would have done it for her anyway, and called it "practice") I figure I will use publisher to set it up, I'm pretty sure they have cards (postcard size). And I can cut paper to practice on first. I'm just psyched to get something I can do (and a check with it) and wanted to share this. I have put picture...