Page numbering - multiple tabs

I have a workbook that has three tabs.  I update the workbook throughout the
month, adding the previous day's data, analysis, and comments to what is
already there.  I print the entire workbook each day and distribute hard
copies throughout the organization.  I need to have all of the pages
distributed daily sequentially numbered.

The first day, each tab will generate one page, so the page numbers will be
1, 2, and 3.  But each tab grows dynamically throughout the month so that in
the middle of the month, tab one may generate the first five pages, the
second tab may generate the next twelve pages, and the last tab will
generate seven pages.  Next month, the relationship between pages and tabs
may vary, so that the number of pages per tab will be different.

I think you get the idea.

I know that I can manually go into settings and custom footer and enter a
predetermined offset for each tab to make, for example, the first page
generated by the second tab be page number 6, and the first page generated
by the third tab be page 18.  But that requires me to figure out in advance
what the needed offset will be each day, and go in and manually change it
each day.

Is there a way to automatically do this?  If there is, I haven't found it.

I imagine that I could manually enter page breaks, and include the page
number in a cell that prints with formulas, etc.  But that's not what I'm
looking for.  I'm hoping for some way to do this in the Custom Footer
setting.

Thanks in advance.

NoWay1025 (4)
3/31/2005 2:00:08 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

"M A Lurker" <NoWay1025@newsfeeds.com> wrote...
>The first day, each tab will generate one page, so the page numbers
>will be 1, 2, and 3.  But each tab grows dynamically throughout the
>month so that in the middle of the month, tab one may generate the
>first five pages, the second tab may generate the next twelve pages,
>and the last tab will generate seven pages.  Next month, the
>relationship between pages and tabs may vary, so that the number of
>pages per tab will be different.
>
>I think you get the idea.

My first suggestion would be to cheat. For worksheet 1, make the header or
footer 1.&[Page]; for worksheet 2, 2.&[Page]; and so on. If page numbers are
only needed to identify the sequence of pages, this would be sufficient, and
it's far & away the easiest approach.

If you really want sequential page numbers, then you could use VBA to count
page breaks on each worksheet. You should have 1 more page of printout than
you have page breaks on each worksheet, so the offset for worksheet 2 would
be 2 more than the number of page breaks on worksheet 1.

0
hrlngrv (1990)
3/31/2005 3:11:15 AM
Thanks for responding.

I had already considered the 1.&[Page] angle, and that is a viable
alternative that I could make work.  However, I was trying to see if there
is something in Excel that I haven't discovered yet ... something like
@attrib(worksheetname,pages)+1.  And I have totally made that up, but you
get the idea.

VBA is not an option as that is not currently included in my skill set.  I
understand the opportunities, but have not taken the time to learn it yet.

"Harlan Grove" <hrlngrv@aol.com> wrote in message
> "M A Lurker" <NoWay1025@newsfeeds.com> wrote...
>>The first day, each tab will generate one page, so the page numbers
>>will be 1, 2, and 3.  But each tab grows dynamically throughout the
>>month so that in the middle of the month, tab one may generate the
>>first five pages, the second tab may generate the next twelve pages,
>>and the last tab will generate seven pages.  Next month, the
>>relationship between pages and tabs may vary, so that the number of
>>pages per tab will be different.
>>
>>I think you get the idea.
>
> My first suggestion would be to cheat. For worksheet 1, make the header or
> footer 1.&[Page]; for worksheet 2, 2.&[Page]; and so on. If page numbers
> are
> only needed to identify the sequence of pages, this would be sufficient,
> and
> it's far & away the easiest approach.
>
> If you really want sequential page numbers, then you could use VBA to
> count
> page breaks on each worksheet. You should have 1 more page of printout
> than
> you have page breaks on each worksheet, so the offset for worksheet 2
> would
> be 2 more than the number of page breaks on worksheet 1.

NoWay1025 (4)
3/31/2005 3:39:09 AM
Hi there,

I have written a macro which does this.

'Macro
Sub SetPageNumbers()
    Dim counter
    Sheets(1).PageSetup.FirstPageNumber = 1
    For i = 2 To ActiveWorkbook.Sheets.Count
        counter = counter + (Sheets(i - 1).VPageBreaks.Count + 1) *
(Sheets(i - 1).HPageBreaks.Count + 1)
        Sheets(i).PageSetup.FirstPageNumber = counter + 1
    Next i
End Sub

'Usage
    SetPageNumbers
End Sub

Hope that helped.

Shafiee.

"M A Lurker" <NoWay1025@newsfeeds.com> wrote in message
>I have a workbook that has three tabs.  I update the workbook throughout
>the month, adding the previous day's data, analysis, and comments to what
>is already there.  I print the entire workbook each day and distribute hard
>copies throughout the organization.  I need to have all of the pages
>distributed daily sequentially numbered.
>
> The first day, each tab will generate one page, so the page numbers will
> be 1, 2, and 3.  But each tab grows dynamically throughout the month so
> that in the middle of the month, tab one may generate the first five
> pages, the second tab may generate the next twelve pages, and the last tab
> will generate seven pages.  Next month, the relationship between pages and
> tabs may vary, so that the number of pages per tab will be different.
>
> I think you get the idea.
>
> I know that I can manually go into settings and custom footer and enter a
> predetermined offset for each tab to make, for example, the first page
> generated by the second tab be page number 6, and the first page generated
> by the third tab be page 18.  But that requires me to figure out in
> advance what the needed offset will be each day, and go in and manually
> change it each day.
>
> Is there a way to automatically do this?  If there is, I haven't found it.
>
> I imagine that I could manually enter page breaks, and include the page
> number in a cell that prints with formulas, etc.  But that's not what I'm
> looking for.  I'm hoping for some way to do this in the Custom Footer
> setting.
>
> Thanks in advance.

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----

0
shafiee (14)
3/31/2005 3:58:46 AM
M A,

If you're meaning you want the page numbers provided by the &[Page] code in
a header or footer to be one set of page sequential page numbers for all the
pages of all the sheets, setting "First page number" (File - Page setup) to
Auto in the sheets should give you what you want.  You must print them as
one print job, either by using "Entire workbook" in the Print dialog, or by
having the sheets selected, then using "Selected sheets."

--
Earl Kiosterud

>I have a workbook that has three tabs.  I update the workbook throughout
>the month, adding the previous day's data, analysis, and comments to what
>is already there.  I print the entire workbook each day and distribute hard
>copies throughout the organization.  I need to have all of the pages
>distributed daily sequentially numbered.
>
> The first day, each tab will generate one page, so the page numbers will
> be 1, 2, and 3.  But each tab grows dynamically throughout the month so
> that in the middle of the month, tab one may generate the first five
> pages, the second tab may generate the next twelve pages, and the last tab
> will generate seven pages.  Next month, the relationship between pages and
> tabs may vary, so that the number of pages per tab will be different.
>
> I think you get the idea.
>
> I know that I can manually go into settings and custom footer and enter a
> predetermined offset for each tab to make, for example, the first page
> generated by the second tab be page number 6, and the first page generated
> by the third tab be page 18.  But that requires me to figure out in
> advance what the needed offset will be each day, and go in and manually
> change it each day.
>
> Is there a way to automatically do this?  If there is, I haven't found it.
>
> I imagine that I could manually enter page breaks, and include the page
> number in a cell that prints with formulas, etc.  But that's not what I'm
> looking for.  I'm hoping for some way to do this in the Custom Footer
> setting.
>
> Thanks in advance.

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----

0
nothanks4548 (968)
3/31/2005 4:04:44 AM
AMAZING!  Excel already has this built in and I defeated it by trying to
over-engineer the solution.  Thank you.

And what is the most embarrassing is that is the default!

"Earl Kiosterud" <nothanks@nospam.com> wrote in message
>M A,
>
> If you're meaning you want the page numbers provided by the &[Page] code
> in a header or footer to be one set of page sequential page numbers for
> all the pages of all the sheets, setting "First page number" (File - Page
> setup) to Auto in the sheets should give you what you want.  You must
> print them as one print job, either by using "Entire workbook" in the
> Print dialog, or by having the sheets selected, then using "Selected
> sheets."
>
> --
> Earl Kiosterud
> mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net
>
> "M A Lurker" <NoWay1025@newsfeeds.com> wrote in message
>>I have a workbook that has three tabs.  I update the workbook throughout
>>the month, adding the previous day's data, analysis, and comments to what
>>is already there.  I print the entire workbook each day and distribute
>>hard copies throughout the organization.  I need to have all of the pages
>>distributed daily sequentially numbered.
>>
>> The first day, each tab will generate one page, so the page numbers will
>> be 1, 2, and 3.  But each tab grows dynamically throughout the month so
>> that in the middle of the month, tab one may generate the first five
>> pages, the second tab may generate the next twelve pages, and the last
>> tab will generate seven pages.  Next month, the relationship between
>> pages and tabs may vary, so that the number of pages per tab will be
>> different.
>>
>> I think you get the idea.
>>
>> I know that I can manually go into settings and custom footer and enter a
>> predetermined offset for each tab to make, for example, the first page
>> generated by the second tab be page number 6, and the first page
>> generated by the third tab be page 18.  But that requires me to figure
>> out in advance what the needed offset will be each day, and go in and
>> manually change it each day.
>>
>> Is there a way to automatically do this?  If there is, I haven't found
>> it.
>>
>> I imagine that I could manually enter page breaks, and include the page
>> number in a cell that prints with formulas, etc.  But that's not what I'm
>> looking for.  I'm hoping for some way to do this in the Custom Footer
>> setting.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.

>> News==----
>> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
>> Newsgroups
>> =----

NoWay1025 (4)
3/31/2005 4:35:59 AM
:)

> AMAZING!  Excel already has this built in and I defeated it by trying to
> over-engineer the solution.  Thank you.
>
> And what is the most embarrassing is that is the default!
>

> "Earl Kiosterud" <nothanks@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>M A,
>>
>> If you're meaning you want the page numbers provided by the &[Page] code
>> in a header or footer to be one set of page sequential page numbers for
>> all the pages of all the sheets, setting "First page number" (File - Page
>> setup) to Auto in the sheets should give you what you want.  You must
>> print them as one print job, either by using "Entire workbook" in the
>> Print dialog, or by having the sheets selected, then using "Selected
>> sheets."
>>
>> --
>> Earl Kiosterud
>> mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net
>>
>> "M A Lurker" <NoWay1025@newsfeeds.com> wrote in message
>>>I have a workbook that has three tabs.  I update the workbook throughout
>>>the month, adding the previous day's data, analysis, and comments to what
>>>is already there.  I print the entire workbook each day and distribute
>>>hard copies throughout the organization.  I need to have all of the pages
>>>distributed daily sequentially numbered.
>>>
>>> The first day, each tab will generate one page, so the page numbers will
>>> be 1, 2, and 3.  But each tab grows dynamically throughout the month so
>>> that in the middle of the month, tab one may generate the first five
>>> pages, the second tab may generate the next twelve pages, and the last
>>> tab will generate seven pages.  Next month, the relationship between
>>> pages and tabs may vary, so that the number of pages per tab will be
>>> different.
>>>
>>> I think you get the idea.
>>>
>>> I know that I can manually go into settings and custom footer and enter
>>> a predetermined offset for each tab to make, for example, the first page
>>> generated by the second tab be page number 6, and the first page
>>> generated by the third tab be page 18.  But that requires me to figure
>>> out in advance what the needed offset will be each day, and go in and
>>> manually change it each day.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to automatically do this?  If there is, I haven't found
>>> it.
>>>
>>> I imagine that I could manually enter page breaks, and include the page
>>> number in a cell that prints with formulas, etc.  But that's not what
>>> I'm looking for.  I'm hoping for some way to do this in the Custom
>>> Footer setting.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.

>>> News==----
>>> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
>>> Newsgroups
>>> ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption
>>> =----

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----

0
shafiee (14)

Cannot print both-sided by selecting multiple worksheets
Any batch or 3rd-party program can fix this problem?? When printing multiple worksheets, it print one sheet as one file... I must select "page from X to X" to resolve this problem every-time. It's really trouble to do this, and as I remember it works before upgrade XP SP3. ...

Multiple Worksheet Scrolling
This is the first time I have ever posted on a forum so please forgiv me if I do something wrong. I am creating a workbook with multiple spreadsheets, the first shee simply totals cells in the other sheets. All sheets are very simila and have information all in the same layout. I would like to get al of the sheets to scroll together at the same time so if a user switche worksheets then they will be in the same location as on the previou worksheet. This would greatly enhance the usability of this workbook. I don't know how to explain this any better right now, if I was unclea on somet...

Add best 3 of 4 numbers
Looking to add the best 3 of 4 numbers in a spreadsheet. Can not seem to figure out when all 4 of the numbers are the same. GE Hi see your other post -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "GE" <GE@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:7C3F6B2D-3EAA-40EA-BC9C-2FA1F19C2AE6@microsoft.com... > Looking to add the best 3 of 4 numbers in a spreadsheet. Can not seem to > figure out when all 4 of the numbers are the same. > > GE GE, Either Frank's =SUM(LARGE(A1:A4,{1,2,3})) or my =SUM(A1:A4) - MIN(A1:A4) will work in that case. HTH, Be...

page breaks and print preview
After adjusting the margins on my excel worksheet I then arrange my charts so they fit within one page, however, when I do a print preview the charts no longer appear within the one page, they spill over to the sorrounding pages. What am I doing wrong? ...

OUTLOOK caused an invalid page fault in module SHLWAPI.DLL at 015f:70bf5a43.
When I bring up Outlook 98 from Office97 Small Business Edition which I've been using for years I get the following message and Outlook closes down. OUTLOOK caused an invalid page fault in module SHLWAPI.DLL at 015f:70bf5a43. Registers: EAX=00000000 CS=015f EIP=70bf5a43 EFLGS=00010246 EBX=00428f30 SS=0167 ESP=0056f878 EBP=0056f890 ECX=0176789c DS=0167 ESI=00000000 FS=32b7 EDX=00428f44 ES=0167 EDI=00000000 GS=0000 Bytes at CS:EIP: 0f b7 06 46 46 83 f8 41 7c 08 83 f8 5a 7f 03 83 Stack dump: 70bf5a3a 70d9f263 00000000 00428f44 00000000 01767800 0056f8c4 70d269ec 00428f30 00000003 00428f4...

multiple empty accounts showed up
I have three accounts with Broker X, which I've tracked for some time with Money (2006 Premium). Only one of them was set up for automatic updates. As soon as I enabled the other two for automatic updates, Money created SEVEN new empty accounts ("Broker X Cash Account", "Broker X Cash Account #2", ... "Broker X Margin Account", etc.) separate from the two I wanted to connect. Next thing I know, I have NINE pending statements for these seven imaginary and empty accounts, displaying "bank balance" totalling somewhere in the range of $200,000! Go...

Mail Merge and Access format of telephone number
I use mail merge for a directory using Access for my data. The telephone numbers that are formatted in Access (555) 642-5555 aren't retained but come in to merge as 555642555 so I have to go to each one and put in the (xxx) 666-666. Is there anything I can do to retain the Access format of the tele numbers??? -- Terry50 See http://www.gmayor.com/formatting_word_fields.htm. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "terry50" <terry50@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:12784D...

Tabs Hidden in Format Cell Box
When I right click on a cell and hit Format Cell, the lower tabs in the box that comes up giving me the options for formatting are hidden. I can see the upper tabs but not the lower tabs, why is this? I've heard of this before and the 'problem' was that the user had selected a large DPI setting under Control Panel, Display Properties, Advanced, General. Setting to Normal fixed it. -- Jim "JDM" <JDM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7ED7FFE8-D18C-4021-8AF0-26B6C7F4B899@microsoft.com... | When I right click on a cell and hit Format Cell, the l...

Changed a form to have two tab control
Code was writtten on the original form, but form is still named the same, the only thing that has changed is the control for the form changed to tabbed control and then I moved the individual controls to the appropriate tabbed sheets. Having a problem with the cmd buttons exiting to a main form, so I am thinking that I need to change the syntax on the code properites somehow. The main form is called "POCheck", the individual tabs are called "PO Form" and "Checkbook Form". I am not sure how the snytax needs to refer to the tabs? Here is an example: ...

Copy parts of a number
If I have a cell with a digit 123,4567 - how can I copy the content of the cell to another cell with only two digits after the comma. In other words - I only want 123,45 to appear in the new cell. Is there any way to use a "round off" functionality? Well, I wonder if it is really a 'number'...? Seems to be text as written and if 123,4567 copied and pasted from the post to Excel it shows as 1,234,567. So pasted in a text formatted cell you can use =LEFT(A1,6) to return 123,45. HTH Regards, Howard "GeniE" <GeniE@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Trying to get phone numbers to synch to Outlook Tasks
I have added the phone number field (tried business, home and mobile) to my task view in Outlook. However when I sysnch from CRM, the phone number for the contact doesn't get populated. I can see it when I view the Contact details. I am doing this because CRM doesn't have an Activity View for tasks, phone calls, appointments etc, that allows you to show the phone number in the View! Any ideas? I'm thinking I will just have to create an Activity Report since CRM doesn't ship with one. ...

Counting number of previous days until Null
How could I count the number of previous days a record is present until I hit a null? For instance, if I wanted to know how many previous days in a row someone placed an order... > For instance, if I wanted to know how many previous days in a row > someone placed an order... see the post following yours. Vanderghast, Access MVP ...

Remove Page Break In Excel 97
I recently uninstalled Office 2000 which was licensed to my employer and installed my personal copy of Office 97. I have noticed some strange behavior in Excel 97. The most recent, and easiest to explain, is this. I added a page break and later decided to remove it. I right clicked on a cell below the break but the "Remove Page Break" command was not on the drop down menu. Can anyone help? Thanks I've got both Excel 2000 and Excel 97, and I don't get an option to "remove page break" by right-clicking on the cell below the break in either version. I remov...

WLM, Windows Live Contacts, and Multiple Accounts
I have 2 Hotmail accounts configuring in WLM Desktop. When I select Go==>Contacts, the Windows Live Contacts dialog is shown, but only for _one_ of my email accounts. I can't figure out how to show the contacts related to the other account. Does anyone know how? Thanks, P. Upper right corner where your live acct ID is shown.. "sign in with a different ID". Choose other ID. "Oceanclub" <Oceanclub@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:95D4DAD4-3307-4FA7-8BE6-A73C4DE198D4@microsoft.com... > I have 2 Hotmail accounts configuring ...

Multiple reports within one report
I want to create a single report so the pagination (header and footer info would be consistent).... BUT, this report will be composed of a series of small table-style reports, each accompanied by a pie chart. My problem is that the client wants the pie charts NEXT to the tabular report. So, I have a subreport on the left, which can be set to grow or shring, and a pie chart on the right, which appears to be limited to whatever size I make it. Beneath each report will be a section of "free-form" comments pertaining to the report. The problem is that I have approximately 8 of these...

Multiple E-mail Address for 1 User with Forwarding
Is it possible to create 2 E-mail addresses for one user and have the 2nd forward to the first? TIA. -- Regards, Allan C They are currently running Exchange Server 5.5 sp4. The scenario is that one user is receiving a lot of Spam. He would like to change his E-mail address * now * before he can contact everyone. Even if he did, some people will send to his old address by mistake. So, we would like to have 2 addresses running concurrently so nothing drops in the bit bucket. We would like to have the first address (with the Spam) forward to the 2nd so that he doesn't have to login ...

access 2007 what is the maximum number of printed pages allowed
"Robin C." <RobinC@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el mensaje de noticias news:91A02207-D49C-44FC-B90D-305C2881C714@microsoft.com... > "Robin C." <RobinC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:91A02207-D49C-44FC-B90D-305C2881C714@microsoft.com... > ...

Multiple lines from different tables in a report detail
I'm not sure if I can easily describe what I'm trying to do here, but here goes... Let's say I'm trying to make a report that describes the vehicles each person in my database owns. So I have a table for each person, a table for cars, and a table for pickup trucks. There's a one to many relationship from each person to the car table, and from person to trucks. The car and truck tables don't have the same fields, so I need them to be different tables. I want my report to look like this: Person Car Name Car Mileage Truck Name Cargo Cap...

How to copy custom number formats
Hello All I have a custom number format for a Excel Cell A1 which is #,##0.00 "CAD" and in A1 I now have a value 1000 CAD. I have assigned cell B1 as =A1 but an external application when the report is run populated now cell A1 as 20000 MXP and now my cell B1 says 20000 CAD and not 20000 MXP and when I check the format for B1 it still as the format as #,##0.00 "CAD" whereas now the format of my cell A1 is #,##0.00 "MXP" appears only the value and not the format is being copied. Can any of you suggest a workaround to resolve this problem. Many thanks Simon ...

why is it saying sheetcnt is "variable not defined" how to do a global variable to share over multiple functions in vba for excel?
why is it saying sheetcnt is "variable not defined" how to do a global variable to share over multiple functions in vba for excel? Dim sheetcnt As Integer Private Sub cmdImport_Click() sheetcnt = 1 Daniel, Dimming a variable outside the procs makes it module-level. If you'll need to use it across modules, make it project level: Public sheetcnt As Integer -- Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com/ ------------------------------------------- "Daniel" <softwareengineer98037@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:%23ya7IdBhFHA.2916@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > w...

page setup dialog and paper choices
I need some help with the dialog Page Setup Dialog. When the dialog comes up, it brings up all the available choices for paper that the printer supports - Letter, Legal, Envelope etc.. I would like to know how I can add a custom paper to this list. This is a pre-printed sheet (the size is actually standard letter), and I want the user to be able to select it & the program to know when the user has selected it. If not, Do I need to derive a class from CPageSetupDialog , add code to add this custom paper to the combo-box list, trap messages etc.. Thanks in advance rajas, Even if the ...

Two "versions" show up in window tab? file:1 file:2
I have a coworker who when he opens a file, and looks under the windo tab, two files of the same name show up separated by colon and number. e.g. file:1 and file:2 by switching from "version" 1 and 2, file is identical in both window and seems to be embedded in properties. He says he accidentaly hit some keys and it did this and I can't seem to be able to recreate this. Does anyone know what this function is? Thank -- mpoirier2 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mpoirier23's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=get...

How do I transpose multiple rows into columns?
I have data organized (in Office 2007) as such: A B C D E F and so on I want to tranpose it so it appears in columns as: A B C D E F and so on. Is there a way to transpose multiple rows so the information is stacked into columns? Thanks a million! Copy > PasteSpecial > Transpose.........as many times as you need......can be set to a macro if done frequently.. Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "Nick" wrote: > I have data organized (in Office 2007) as such: > > A > B > C > > D > E > F > > and so on > > I want to tranpose it so...

Applying Master Page in Publisher
I've created a master page (for a web page design) as instructed. When I add a new page and do "apply master", it doesn't work. Argh, can anyone help? Do not use the Master Page feature in a web publication. It does not work consistently and should be reserved for print publications. If you have design elements that will be common to each page, then when you add a page choose to duplicate a page, and then edit the parts that differ. If you have more questions about Publisher webs, then post in the web group and we will try to help you there: news://msnews.microsoft.com...

outlook multiple e mail users
how do I set up outlook so that each of our outlook e-mail addreses require passwords to access? as soon as I click on oulook, my e-mail pops up. no password casper wrote: > how do I set up outlook so that each of our outlook e-mail addreses require > passwords to access? as soon as I click on oulook, my e-mail pops up. no > password Go into the account defined in Outlook and blank out the password field. Also uncheck the "remember password" checkbox. You can't. You'll need to set up multiple user accounts on the computer if you want password protection. -Pe...