Operator precedence (order of operate) =A1/A2*A3^5-(A1+A2)

Hi,
what is the order of operating and calculating  in this formula?
=A1/A2*A3^5-(A1+A2)

1- A1+A2

2- A1/A2

3- A3^5

4- A2*A3

Regards.

0
masshahab (7)
9/6/2005 11:35:47 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

If it were me, I'd put parens in to ensure I get the calculation I want.

"Masood Shahab" <masshahab@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Hi,
> what is the order of operating and calculating  in this formula?
> =A1/A2*A3^5-(A1+A2)
>
> 1- A1+A2
>
> 2- A1/A2
>
> 3- A3^5
>
> 4- A2*A3
>

> Regards.

0
reply6075 (299)
9/7/2005 12:06:35 AM
Masood Shahab wrote...
>what is the order of operating and calculating  in this formula?
>=A1/A2*A3^5-(A1+A2)

Same as

=((A1/A2)*(A3^5))-(A1+A2)

There are 3 different precedence levels in your formula

^
* and /
+ and -

in declining order of precedence. For operators of equal precedence,
Excel evaluates STRICTLY left to right.

0
hrlngrv (1990)
9/7/2005 12:21:39 AM
Dear Harlan Grove

I think parenthesis first calculate.
with your idea
=A1/A2*A3^5-(A1+A2) Same as  =((A1/A2)*(A3^5))-(A1+A2)

therefore, A1/A2 (option 2 of the test) is true
is it true?
which option is true?
1- A1+A2
2- A1/A2
3- A3^5
4- A2*A3

Thanks

"Harlan Grove" <hrlngrv@aol.com> wrote in message
> Masood Shahab wrote...
> >what is the order of operating and calculating  in this formula?
> >=A1/A2*A3^5-(A1+A2)
>
> Same as
>
> =((A1/A2)*(A3^5))-(A1+A2)
>
> There are 3 different precedence levels in your formula
>
> ^
> * and /
> + and -
>
> in declining order of precedence. For operators of equal precedence,
> Excel evaluates STRICTLY left to right.

0
masshahab (7)
9/7/2005 12:27:59 AM
In the following formula, which is first calculated?

=A1/A2*A3^5-(A1+A2)

1- A1+A2
2- A1/A2
3- A3^5
4- A2*A3

0
masshahab (7)
9/7/2005 2:40:45 AM
"Masood Shahab" wrote...
>I think parenthesis first calculate.
>with your idea
>=A1/A2*A3^5-(A1+A2) Same as  =((A1/A2)*(A3^5))-(A1+A2)
>
>therefore, A1/A2 (option 2 of the test) is true
>is it true?
>which option is true?
>1- A1+A2
>2- A1/A2
>3- A3^5
>4- A2*A3

At this point I don't believe I understand what you mean by 'which option is
true?' None are true. All evaluate to numbers. The only question is what the
order of evaluation would be. Strictly speaking, it doesn't matter for
operations of different precedence. A3^5 will be evaluated separately from
A1/A2 and A1+A2. It doesn't matter which of these simple arithmetic
expressions is evaluated first. All that matters is how they're grouped.

0
hrlngrv (1990)
9/7/2005 4:35:47 AM
Strictly in terms of operator precedence:

1)      B = A1 + A2
2)      C = A3^5
3)      D = A1/A2
4)      E = D * C
5 )     F = E - B

Whether within the calculation engine (1) happens before (2), I don't
know. It doesn't matter as long as (1) happens before (5). LIkewise, (2)
may happen before (3) or (3) before (2), but both happen before (4).

In article <uNd8mX1sFHA.3500@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>,
 "Masood Shahab" <masshahab@hotmail.com> wrote:

> In the following formula, which is first calculated?
>
> =A1/A2*A3^5-(A1+A2)
>
> 1- A1+A2
> 2- A1/A2
> 3- A3^5
> 4- A2*A3
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
9/7/2005 12:55:53 PM
If you check XL help for 'operator precedence' (w/o the quote), the
firt suggested topic will be 'About calculation operators.'  It
includes a section on 'The order in which Excel performs operations in
formulas'

To see what XL actually does, enter the formula in a cell, display the
Formula Auditing toolbar, click the 'Evaluate Formula' button.

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article <e9d5QwzsFHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>,
masshahab@hotmail.com says...

> Hi,
> what is the order of operating and calculating  in this formula?
> =A1/A2*A3^5-(A1+A2)
>
> 1- A1+A2
>
> 2- A1/A2
>
> 3- A3^5
>
> 4- A2*A3
>

> Regards.

5.7.1
'support@insight.com' on 1/12/2005 10:28 AM You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, contact your system administrator. <*.com #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1 <support@insight.com>... Access denied> i seem to be able to send to some domains but not to others i am also getting non-delivery reports of 5.4.0 and 5.1.8 Ask the administrator of that site whats going on or google the RBL websites and lookup whether your domain has been blacklisted. On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 10:29:05 -0800, "Derek B. Moore [MCP]" <DerekBMoore...

Table of Conents Out of Order`
Using Word 2007 and I have created a Table of Contents within a frame (working on a newsletter). The TOC is picking up its data from styles and it works perfectly, except the items within the table of contents are out of order. For example, I have two articles on page 1 and the second article title is showing first in the table of contents. Suggestions? As always, thank you for any help you can provide. If the articles are in text boxes, it could be that the "second" article is anchored to a paragraph that actually precedes the paragraph to which the "first&q...

Cannot restore Exchange 5.5 on-line backup
Background info: =========== We had an Exchange 5.5 server running on a Windows 2000 Server (SP4). That server was upgraded from NT 4.0. We got problems with SMTP mail and couldn't get it to work anymore even after reapplying Exchange SP4 and reinstalling the IMS connector. So we took an extra on-line backup of Exchange using NTBackup (to a HDD on another server). Everything seemed fine with the backup. No error messages. Then we reinstalled Exchange 5.5 on the same server, reapplied SP4 and made sure we used the same server name and site name as before. Then we tried to restore the back...

Project Accounting #5
Can anyone suggest a good "Getting Started" guide or "How To" book for Dynamics GP Project Accounting. -- Dave Hoisch dhoisch@gmail.com There are training manuals you can get through your partner. There might be an eCourse for Project Accounting, too. Other than those options, the user guides that ship with GP are the only PA books I know exist. -- Charles Allen, MVP "Dave" wrote: > Can anyone suggest a good "Getting Started" guide or "How To" book for > Dynamics GP Project Accounting. > -- > Dave Hoisch > dhoisc...

Graphs #5
I am trying to figure out if and how one can display sales data in a Excel graph where the data is presented in a geograpical map of North America. For example, i want to display sales numbers by city and province / state in / on / over a map or atlas image? Can anyone offer advise as to how one can do this? Thanks Mark Mark, I don't think Excel can do that type of thing. We historically had to this type of thing by hand in powerpoint over a clipart map. Last summer, we bought MS MapPoint 2004 to do cool map charts. I didn't end up getting it but my collegue did and he found ...

Illegal Operation
First, thanks in advance for any assistance you can give me with this problem When I try to start outlook express I get a message saying: "This program has performed an illegal operation & will be shut down" After pressing details I get: "MSIMN caused an invalid page fault in module MSOE.dll at 016f:007c5c01".....etc I went to the outlook pages at Microsoft and followed the directions there and still have the same problem. The site tells me to check the properties on all the dbx files and make sure that the read-only box is not check...

Cannot change received PO to Change Order
Great Plains will not allow me to change a Purchase Order from Received to Change Order: I'm not sure if this matters, but we recieved more than we ordered, which happens quite frequently. Here is the message I get: "This line can't be changed to Released or Change Order. A Received line can be changed to Change Order if it has a quantity cancelled." WHY IS THAT???? However, if I try to enter a quantity cancelled, I get: "The Quantity Cancelled must be less than the remaining quantity. Please enter a new quantity". How can I re-open this Purchas...

Exchange 5.5 IMC question
Hi, anyone know how to stop an Exchange 5.5 IMC from recieving but still allow it to send?? Cheers John On the Connections tab, set the Transfer Mode to Outbound Only. Restart the IMS. -- Denis McDowell [MSFT] "John" <John@4sol.com> wrote in message news:OnQV9krLEHA.2612@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > anyone know how to stop an Exchange 5.5 IMC from recieving but still allow > it to send?? > > Cheers > > John > > Great tip!! This is the answer to my problem (see the "Can I run NAV on received e-mails?"). I need to install NA...

MS CRM with Exchange 5.5
We have a MS CRM client, who is using MS Exchange Server 5.5. The client is not planning to upgrade the existing exchange server 5.5 to current version. They also do not have an active directory implementation and are not planning to upgrade to it. We plan to have a separate active Directory implementation for just the CRM Users to overcome this. The IG states that an Exhchange server 2000/2003 can co-exist with the Exchange 5.5 and be used for CRM mail integration using the Active Directory connector(ADC). In this scenario can we implement exchange server 2000 just to support mail...

Order of Category in X-axis
Good day everybody, I have a chart looks like this : A3 | A2 | A1 | -------|------------------- I would like it to be like this : A1 | A2 | A3 | -------|------------------- I remember I can reverse my Category in X-axis by clicking a reverse option when I used Excel 2000. But now I couldn't do the same with Excel 2002. I will appreciate if someone can help me. Thanks in advance. Best regards, Julie Julie - Double click the axis, click on the Scale tab, and check the Categories (or Values) in Reverse Order box. You probably also will want to check the A...

graphing ordered non-numeric value
How does one graph an ordered but non-numeric value (e.g. Excellent, Very Good, Good, Satisfactory, Fair, Poor, Failed) on the Y-axis and the date on the x-axis? Hi Mkchu, > How does one graph an ordered but non-numeric value (e.g. Excellent, Very > Good, Good, Satisfactory, Fair, Poor, Failed) on the Y-axis and the date on > the x-axis? Probably the easiest way is to give each of them a number (e.g. Failed = 0, Excellent = 6) and plot those. Then format the Y axis to show markers but no labels and use text boxes for the labels. Regards Stephen Bullen Microsoft MVP - Excel...

LDAP Query #5
I want to setup an Address list (filter) with multiple addresses... This works for one: (&(&(objectCategory=*)(mail=*@abc.com))) this does NOT work for multiple: (&(&(objectCategory=*)(mail=*@abc.com)(mail=*@123.com))) Does anyone know the correct syntax? Thank you for any help! "JHP" <goawayspam@GFY.com> wrote: >I want to setup an Address list (filter) with multiple addresses... > >This works for one: > >(&(&(objectCategory=*)(mail=*@abc.com))) > >this does NOT work for multiple: > >(&(&(objectCategory=*)(ma...

How to add the date after the "A1"
Hi, I type "The information gathered as of March 9, 2008" on cell "A1" Is there a way to make a date default like "The information gathered as of " & Date (default). Your help would be much apprecated. ="The informations gathered as of "&TEXT(TODAY(),"mmmm d, yyyy") -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel <learning_codes@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:c11a1bfc-65ba-4cf3-bdef-c28bdcc19c1d@8g2000hse.googlegroups.com... | Hi, | | I type "The information gathered as of March 9, 2008" on cell "A1&q...

Exchange 5.5 MTA delivery error
Here is the situation. NT 4 SP 6, Exchange 5.5 SP4 One of my Dept Heads sends out his daily report each evening. He ' does not ' use a DL. He takes the previous nights email from the "Sent Items" and just deletes a person here or adds a person, then sends it out again. I have watched as he did this and his procedures are legal and I have done this many times as I am sure you have too, for whatever reason. Now the "FIRST" time that the message is sent, we get the following: MSEXCH:MXEchangeMTA:DOMAIN:MAILEX01 as you can see in the dialog below. Now the "Second&q...

Change SMTP banner
In this link it says that I must change banner ? How do I do that ? http://www.securityspace.com/smysecure/catid.html?id=10263 "Peter Jensen" <peter1969@removemeofir.dk> wrote in news:OIcub5D1DHA.3220 @tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl: > In this link it says that I must change banner ? How do I do that ? > > http://www.securityspace.com/smysecure/catid.html?id=10263 It's not that you "must" it's more that by default anyone who connects to port 25 can see exactly which version of the IMS/Exchange you're running so they've a head start with any vul...

NT4 - Exchange 5.5
Hi I have Servers running NT4 SP6 + Exchange 5.5 SP4 I have Outlook 2000 & XP (2002) connecting to this servers and it is working fine Now I have Outlook 2003 trying to connect to these servers and it does not work @ all. I can connect to my exchange using telnet with the IP & Name. Outlook 2003 does resolve the server name but when I try to open outlook it tells me that the server is not available. Please HELP. W ...

Excel formula help #5
I've come up against a problem in Excel, I need help to figure out a formula. A B C D 1 Number Of Months 24 �60.00 �1,440.00 2 Number Of Weeks 96 �15.00 �1,440.00 I will try to make this clear to understand, what I need is when I change cell C2 either adding more money or taking away, I need cell B2 to reflect the change either increasing the amount of weeks needed to get to D2s total or decrease depending on what was changed in C2. Any advice or help would be much appreciated. On Oct 10,...

Rounding for order size
I'm doing a forecast using some formulas. I want the result to take in consideration the minimun order size. For example if my forecast is 38 I want the result to be expressed as 48 which is the minimun package size. The same for example if forecast is 500 I want it to show 480 or 528 which are the actual amounts that I can request. How can I do this? FA Hi! So, what you want to do is round to the nearest multiple of 48? =ROUND(A1/48,0)*48 Biff "FA" <FA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F6E4BD59-5B85-487E-98B7-96E568FB1E44@microsoft.com......

excel #5
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) I use spreadsheets to keep track of all of the financials for my business. I want to use an old spreadsheet, copy it, delete the information that had been imputed, and replace it with new text and values without getting rid of the formulas that are within the old spreadsheet. I basically want to use the formulas but not the information that was inputed b/c it has changed. Please help. On 6/23/09 1:29 PM, in article 59b7707c.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "EvoRevo@officeformac.com" <EvoRevo@officeformac.com> wrote: > V...

URGENT: Run Time Error '429' in Store Operations Administrator
I'm constantly getting a run-time error 429 - ActiveX can't create object - when trying to run Store Operations Administrator on my back office PC. The Store Operations Manager also fails on the back office PC - can't connect to database -. The register (POS) is still functioning as is the server where the RMS database resides. How do I fix this? I've never seen Active-X errors from Administrator. I'd try uninstalling RMS on that system then reinstalling it. Also make sure you apply whatever service pack you're running on your other systems. Sometimes POS ...

How to check for numbers in ascending order?
Hi, I have a dataset coming back from an application screen where I have to check that the values in a set of fields are in ascending order. Is there an easy way to do this in SQL? I've written the following code using a WHILE loop (which works), but wondered if there was a better way of doing this i.e. using a CTE or similar? Here's the temp table that I've created to hold the values with an added row number: row_number row_id entry_value 1 101965 23000.00 2 101966 24000.00 3 101967 22000.00 ...

XP Home/Outlook (Exchange 5.5) login errors
Hi there--I hope someone can help me. I have a home user with XP home installed. This machine has been configured to access an Exchange 5.5 mailbox (using Outlook xp). When the user brings this machine into the office and connects (physically)to my network and attempts to login to his mailbox he gets an error message indicating the his login information is "incorrect". This user can dial in via RAS and is prompted for his user name and password without a problem. He can also access his mailbox via OWA. It's just when he connects physically to the network that he is getting t...

Purchase Order and Matching Invoices
We've come across two incidents where a closed purchase order has prevented us from matching to an invoice. The first occurred when someone closed the Purchase prior to being invoiced. The second occurred when an Invoice for a PO was voided but now we can't re-invoice to the PO. With the first incident, we were told to just complete a Payables Trx to create the invoice which will not be reflected with the PO. Is this the only way to re-invoice the second situation? I've reviewed KB854990 but it involves deleting PO history and re-entering the PO and Receipt transactions...

Workflow to close unrequired orders
I have a situation where I need to be able to update the opportunity linked to a quote and then other quotes linmked to the same opportunity. I am sure that this must be possible using a Sales Cycle, but I am struggling to get it to work. The scenario is:- An Opportunity has generated several quotes (typically complex variations on quantity and discount levels). The customer accepts one of these (possibly after a complex process within his own organisation), and from this one quote an order for the products (quantities, prices and discount) listed on this quote is generated. On th...

version 6.5 to version 2002
Version 6.5 creates the extension p65. Version 2002 does not recognize this extenion. How do I over come this. *.p65 is Adobe PageMaker 6.5 "Jerry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B3922A5C-5E7A-4797-B763-71267A2F2E8F@microsoft.com... > Version 6.5 creates the extension p65. Version 2002 does not recognize this extenion. How do I over come this. isnt ver. 6.5 refering to pagemaker, not publisher? -- "Display tolerance & kindness to those with less knowledge than you because there is ALWAYS someone with more" "Jerry"...