Opening tab-delimited files in Excel... how to stop the autoformat of dates?

Hello,

I'm doing bioinformatics work in which I often download tab-delimited
files describing genomes and open them in Excel.  Unfortunately, Excel
decides that genes with names like APR1 and SEP7 are actually dates,
and reformats them as such.  This is a huge headache, as I often don't
notice these problems until much later.

Is there anyway to completely disable this date autoformatting?  I've
searched high and low and have yet to find a solution.

Thanks!

P.S. I'm using Excel 2002

--
salamander
salamander's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=31982

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Do a Data-->get external date-->import text files (from the main menu).

Select the .csv file and follow the dialogue. On one screen you can see
the formatted data. On this screen you can set the format for each
column. Select the date column and make it text.

Hans

0
hansyt (53)
2/28/2006 2:19:13 AM
If it is a file with the extension .txt and you do File | Open within
Excel, it will automatically take you into the Data Import Wizard where
you can do as Hans describes. So, it might be a bit easier if you
rename the .csv file to .txt.

Hope this helps.

Pete

0
pashurst (2576)
2/28/2006 2:23:23 PM
Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately, I should have been more clear
and pointed out that I was already aware of this workaround.  Because of
the large volume of tab-delimited files that I deal with (I've written
numerous programs that output tab-delimited files that are best viewed
in Excel), manually importing each file is far from ideal.  I was
hoping there was a way for me to simply eliminate the date
autoformatting so that I can open these files with a double-click.

Seems hard to believe that Microsoft doesn't enable users to turn this
feature off...

Thanks for your time!

--
salamander
salamander's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=31982
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=517099

Well, you could do it once manually and record a macro while you do it,
setting the appropriate field to text, then in future you would only
need to run the macro (and change the filename) to import the data how
you want it.

Pete

0
pashurst (2576)
2/28/2006 5:46:59 PM
salamander wrote...
>Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately, I should have been more clear
>and pointed out that I was already aware of this workaround.  Because of
>the large volume of tab-delimited files that I deal with (I've written
>numerous programs that output tab-delimited files that are best viewed
>in Excel), manually importing each file is far from ideal.  I was
>hoping there was a way for me to simply eliminate the date
>autoformatting so that I can open these files with a double-click.
>
>Seems hard to believe that Microsoft doesn't enable users to turn this
>feature off...

Naively, it might seem that Microsoft should provide an option to turn
off Excel's 'helpful' features, but Microsoft is convinced such
features are HELPFUL that their attitude towards this is SHUT UP AND
APPRECIATE THE HELP, YOU STUPID USER.

To the point, if you're the one generating these tab-delimited files,
you could append an HTML nonbreaking space character (decimal character
code 160) just after the last character of each gene token. This would
prevent Excel from treating these tokens as dates, and they'd appear as
you want them to. However, if you're using these files with other
software, that software would need to strip off the nonbreaking spaces.

Another alternative would be using a macro to unconvert these cells
after import. The macro would search through all nonblank cells and for
any cells containing date values, and when found convert them back into
text. Something like

Sub foo()
    Dim c As Range
    For Each c In Selection
        If VarType(c.Value) = vbDate Then
            c.NumberFormat = "General"
            c.Formula = "=""" & UCase(Format(c.Value, "mmmd")) & """"
            c.Copy
            c.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues
            Application.CutCopyMode = False
        End If
    Next c
End Sub

0
hrlngrv (1990)
2/28/2006 8:29:33 PM
Thanks for the excellent suggestions

--
salamande
salamander's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3198
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=51709

PST file locaion under Win7
Hi, Where does outlook 2007 keeps PST files under windows7? Apparently under Users/myname there is no folder AppData\Local... Thank you for your help. ...

Need Help, Task Start Date is wrong

Linking files 2 ways

How to repair a .dll file in IE8

Excel button problem

Excel 97 #9

New to excel

Looking for Excel Help

Maximum file sizes

Using Relative path for XML data file?

File size #11

find action on log file

owa cant open ppt attachments

CSV Files and VLOOKUP error

Blue screen crash Stop: 0x0000008E
Whenever im playing a game, or surfing the internet, every once in awhile(pretty recent now) my computer will totally freeze up and i get the blue screen with that error code on it. it tells me to restart if this is the first time or contact an administer. I've gone to microsoft updates and fully updated everything i could, what else could possibly be causing this? CodyE wrote: > Whenever im playing a game, or surfing the internet, every once in > awhile(pretty recent now) my computer will totally freeze up and i get the > blue screen with that error code on it. it ...

Invalid Account on the Security Tab
I deleted an account from AD, and it was listed under the security tab of my server (in ESM), to have full mailbox rights to the information store. I tried removing the inherited permissions, and removing the acct. The I set the inherited permissions back, and the invalid acct. comes back. Does anyone know how I can remove this invalid acct. from the security tab? Thanks. Remove it from the top-level where it was granted permissions. When you set inherited permissions and the account comes back, that means that that account has been granted permissions at a higher level. If you'v...