Opening Excel Opens Too Many Sheets

Don't know what I did recently but when I open Excel, FINANCIAL MANAGER is
added to the main menu at the top and several sheets/files are opened that I
do not want to open. FINANCIAL MANAGER wasn't there before and I can find no
way to take it off the menu.  I find no "startup" folder that lists these
files that I could delete the shortcuts to - I've looked in the various
folders relating to Excel but not found anything that might stop this
activity whenever I open Excel.

 Opening the shortcut I'd been using to get to Excel, it's like a macro
starts off and I find 4 or 5 items added to my taskbar  and I cannot click
on anything until all the sheets are opened.  A dialog box opens for some of
these files as I try to close them (AFTER the macro has run?), asking if I
want to save the changes I made.  I made no changes.  This smacks of corrupt
cookie/file action or a virus-like bug that disrupts normal operation of the
program.  I can't restore because that program is not working properly.
There are no restore points before December for some reason.  (Maybe time to
"XP"...?  :-))

I could use some direction to folders that maybe should be cleaned out, or
is reinstalling going to be more effective?  Don't want to lose "my" files
tho.  The program version is Office Small Business 2000 SP 3.  I have WinMe
on A Dell Dimension XPS933 w/ 384 meg memory.  And, I'm not too expert at
this level of problem.

Thanks out there.

Bob

0
rdbr (5)
1/8/2004 5:11:10 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Bob

Excel will try to open any files it finds in either the XLSTART folder or
"Alternate startup file location" or "at startup, open file in".  This could
be the source of your problem.

First thing I would try is to start Excel in Safe Mode so you bypass any
XLSTART folder or "Alternate startup file location" if you have one entered.

Enter this at Start>Run(your path may differ) to start in Safe Mode

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\excel.exe" /s

Your path may differ.

Then I would check the Tools>Options>General and delete any path in "Alternate
startup file location".

I would move any files from the Office\XLSTART folder that aren't
Personal.xls, Book.xlt or Sheet.xlt.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 12:11:10 -0500, "rdbr" <rdbr@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Don't know what I did recently but when I open Excel, FINANCIAL MANAGER is
>added to the main menu at the top and several sheets/files are opened that I
>do not want to open. FINANCIAL MANAGER wasn't there before and I can find no
>way to take it off the menu.  I find no "startup" folder that lists these
>files that I could delete the shortcuts to - I've looked in the various
>folders relating to Excel but not found anything that might stop this
>activity whenever I open Excel.
>
> Opening the shortcut I'd been using to get to Excel, it's like a macro
>starts off and I find 4 or 5 items added to my taskbar  and I cannot click
>on anything until all the sheets are opened.  A dialog box opens for some of
>these files as I try to close them (AFTER the macro has run?), asking if I
>want to save the changes I made.  I made no changes.  This smacks of corrupt
>cookie/file action or a virus-like bug that disrupts normal operation of the
>program.  I can't restore because that program is not working properly.
>There are no restore points before December for some reason.  (Maybe time to
>"XP"...?  :-))
>
>I could use some direction to folders that maybe should be cleaned out, or
>is reinstalling going to be more effective?  Don't want to lose "my" files
>tho.  The program version is Office Small Business 2000 SP 3.  I have WinMe
>on A Dell Dimension XPS933 w/ 384 meg memory.  And, I'm not too expert at
>this level of problem.
>
>Thanks out there.
>
>Bob

0
Gord
1/8/2004 5:40:05 PM
Hi!

Another possibility to those raised by Gord is an Addin.

Check using:

Tools > Addins
Look for one that might indicate a Financial Manager facility.

--
Regards
Norman Harker MVP (Excel)
"rdbr" <rdbr@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Don't know what I did recently but when I open Excel, FINANCIAL
MANAGER is
> added to the main menu at the top and several sheets/files are
opened that I
> do not want to open. FINANCIAL MANAGER wasn't there before and I can
find no
> way to take it off the menu.  I find no "startup" folder that lists
these
> files that I could delete the shortcuts to - I've looked in the
various
> folders relating to Excel but not found anything that might stop
this
> activity whenever I open Excel.
>
>  Opening the shortcut I'd been using to get to Excel, it's like a
macro
> starts off and I find 4 or 5 items added to my taskbar  and I cannot
click
> on anything until all the sheets are opened.  A dialog box opens for
some of
> these files as I try to close them (AFTER the macro has run?),
asking if I
> want to save the changes I made.  I made no changes.  This smacks of
corrupt
> cookie/file action or a virus-like bug that disrupts normal
operation of the
> program.  I can't restore because that program is not working
properly.
> There are no restore points before December for some reason.  (Maybe
time to
> "XP"...?  :-))
>
> I could use some direction to folders that maybe should be cleaned
out, or
> is reinstalling going to be more effective?  Don't want to lose "my"
files
> tho.  The program version is Office Small Business 2000 SP 3.  I
have WinMe
> on A Dell Dimension XPS933 w/ 384 meg memory.  And, I'm not too
expert at
> this level of problem.
>
> Thanks out there.
>
> Bob

0
njharker (1646)
1/9/2004 3:39:25 AM
Jolly good, mate!  It's neat not only talking to an Aussie , but even more
so to a correct one.  The Financial Manager box WAS checked...now HOW did I
do that?!   You know, you MVP guys ought to buy up old treasure maps and
find gold for yourselves since you are so effective in knowing where to dig
to find "treasures" for us out here...

A "tip 'o the hat" to both you and Gord.

Bob

"Norman Harker" <njharker@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> Another possibility to those raised by Gord is an Addin.
>
> Check using:
>
> Tools > Addins
> Look for one that might indicate a Financial Manager facility.
>

> --
> Regards
> Norman Harker MVP (Excel)
> Sydney, Australia
> njharker@optusnet.com.au
> Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments)
> available free to good homes.
> "rdbr" <rdbr@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > Don't know what I did recently but when I open Excel, FINANCIAL
> MANAGER is
> > added to the main menu at the top and several sheets/files are
> opened that I
> > do not want to open. FINANCIAL MANAGER wasn't there before and I can
> find no
> > way to take it off the menu.  I find no "startup" folder that lists
> these
> > files that I could delete the shortcuts to - I've looked in the
> various
> > folders relating to Excel but not found anything that might stop
> this
> > activity whenever I open Excel.
> >
> >  Opening the shortcut I'd been using to get to Excel, it's like a
> macro
> > starts off and I find 4 or 5 items added to my taskbar  and I cannot
> click
> > on anything until all the sheets are opened.  A dialog box opens for
> some of
> > these files as I try to close them (AFTER the macro has run?),
> asking if I
> > want to save the changes I made.  I made no changes.  This smacks of
> corrupt
> > cookie/file action or a virus-like bug that disrupts normal
> operation of the
> > program.  I can't restore because that program is not working
> properly.
> > There are no restore points before December for some reason.  (Maybe
> time to
> > "XP"...?  :-))
> >
> > I could use some direction to folders that maybe should be cleaned
> out, or
> > is reinstalling going to be more effective?  Don't want to lose "my"
> files
> > tho.  The program version is Office Small Business 2000 SP 3.  I
> have WinMe
> > on A Dell Dimension XPS933 w/ 384 meg memory.  And, I'm not too
> expert at
> > this level of problem.
> >
> > Thanks out there.
> >
> > Bob

0
rdbr (5)
1/9/2004 4:27:27 PM
Hi Bob!

Thanks for thanks is always appreciated and shows Google Searchers
what the solution was.

Re: "It's neat not only talking to an Aussie"

We don't all dangle kids near crocodiles! Although with my son
sometimes...

--
Regards
Norman Harker MVP (Excel)
Sydney, Australia
njharker@optusnet.com.au
available free to good homes.

0
njharker (1646)

i cannot use the mouse right click in excel. how to rectify?
i cannot use the mouse right click in excel. how to rectify? Is this just when over the cells ? Does it work on the title bar - windows options Or on the Excel menus ? Steve On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 14:21:01 +0100, j <j@discussions.microsoft.com> wrot= e: > i cannot use the mouse right click in excel. how to rectify? Unless the right-click button is frozen, I'm sure you can use the mouse right-click in Excel Just hit the right-click button. Now...........................the real issue What are you right-clicking on and what doesn't happen for you? Does the right-click no...

Property Sheet
Hello: How can i create property sheet without any buttons ? thank you, dave Use a tab control and child dialogs. But if you really want to use a PropertySheet, take a look at this on how to get a hold of the buttons, http://www.codeproject.com/property/hacking_the_cpropertyshee.asp at that point you can always disable and/or hide them. AliR. "dave" <dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:63E677A6-352E-4FE9-94EF-1ECDEE600FC1@microsoft.com... > > Hello: > > How can i create property sheet without any buttons ? > > thank you, > da...

Printer problem when OPENING reports
Access 2002. Opening a database from another user's machine, and when trying to open up a report, a dlg comes up saying that the printer doesn't exist. The printer it lists, is the one that I was hooked up to on my machine when I last printed the report. The person has his own printer, why wouldn't it just print to that printer. I don't have any code or settings that I know of that have made the report do that. That seems like me sending a word doc, and when you open it up, it says MY printer is not available. Of course not, you'd be printing it on YOUR printer....

import hyperterminal value into excel
How do I import a hyperterminal value into an excel cell? ...

Excel Function to Access
I would like this excel function =IF(A4=A5,C5-C4,C5) to be utilized a a function in a query in MS Access where the fields that supposed t be in column A are the primary key fields and the next fields whic are in column C, are to be calculated in.The answers to this functio are to go into a new field.....Any help please? : Primary key, by definition, means no duplicates. How would A4 ever equal A5? -- George Nicholson Remove 'Junk' from return address. "CJT" <chico_2186@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message news:Wa-dnQuiOcaYskDfRVn_vQ@giganews.com... &g...

Is it possible to have 2 excel version in one computer?
hi everyone i just installed a 2003 version office... i liked the new features but when i wanted to open an excel file that has been created by 2002 version excel, i was shocked that i can't open the file successfully. When i opened and enabled the built in macros in the file, an error message popped out and said that the data may have been lost. After I have closed the error message, i checked the file. the data is still in the worksheet but all the words, format, buttons, and other information have all disappeared. However, if I open it in another version other than 2003, the file work...

Free MS Excel/Access Video Tutorials and Articles
Hey All, There are a whole bunch of free articles and video tutorials at http://www.davidbase.com. There's no cost to sign up and there are lots of articles and videos to check out. Some of the topics are Access VBA, Excel, Database Design, Reporting, Union Queries and more. Some recent articles: Access Parameter Queries Union Queries Excel VBA Random Numbers Relationships and Joins � and plenty more. Sign up (it's free) right on the home page and see if it suits you. Thanks, AppTrix Staff http://www.davidbase.com ...

Excel Formulae #3
Hi, I have a spreadsheet with value in one column & a series of dates in 5 other columns.For each row depending on the value in the first colunm a date may be applicable in one or more of the other columns.e.g 550 in the first column will mean dates will be inserted in the next 2 columns similar to authority levels. My qn. is how can I show what's outstanding if the relevant authority levels have not signed off-basically this is used as a tracker of invoices & I would like to show what is outstanding awaiting approval at anytime. Thanks Raj ----------------------------------...

Excel -- Wrapped text disappears
A user here is having the same problem as described in a previous topic (http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel/browse_thread/thread/b32b50c3e69981d/dc8adb6c01616d70%23dc8adb6c01616d70). Windows XP Pro, SP2 Office 2003 Pro, SP2 New machine with plenty of resources. Was originally working properly, then mysteriously developed a strange symptom: Any text that is in an Excel cell in which the "wrap text" option has been selected no longer shows up. I have checked it with 1 character, 1 word, and multiple lines of text. It has been repeated with spreadsheets created on...

EXCEL caused an invalid page fault #3
Whenever I start EXCEL 2000 I get the following msg. EXCEL caused an invalid page fault in module EXCEL.EXE at 018f:3001de79. Registers: EAX=900a0154 CS=018f EIP=3001de79 EFLGS=00010246 EBX=00100000 SS=0197 ESP=0062eb5c EBP=0062ebf0 ECX=0000c630 DS=0197 ESI=50020044 FS=0ebf EDX=30021a90 ES=0197 EDI=300378d4 GS=0000 Bytes at CS:EIP: 0f bf 04 c5 aa df 01 30 89 45 dc 8d 45 e4 50 e8 Stack dump: 50020044 006b76e4 006b7608 006b7608 0062ebf0 006b7608 006b76e4 006b7608 0062eb54 3001dcc3 00000000 bff728a2 bff54f53 1294bb9c ad4c17af 12990002 I had reinstalled and repaired several times but it does n...

Bug in excel 2003
Hi, I'm trying to get an equation of a table of data. When I enter the data, make a graph of it, I get a nice sinus-kind-of-line. Therefor I would like to have fourth order equation. The line of data looks very good (125 data points). Then I add a trendline (4th order) that looks like a very nice fit. But when I set the properties of the trendline to "show equation in graph" the a wrong equation is displayed. After a lot of fiddling with data, I noticed that the shown equation has wrong contstands showing. E.g.: The shown eqaution = A + B*X + C*X^2 + D*X^3 + E*X^4 In fact ...

where can I find a nurse staffing templatew for excel 2000
I need an excel template for excel 2000 that would allow me to staff nurses Try the Office Template Gallery. http://officeupdate.microsoft.com/templategallery/default.asp Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 17:54:00 -0700, klif_e <klife@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I need an excel template for excel 2000 that would allow me to staff nurses ...

Excel 2007 Back-up copies
How do I stop Excel from creating a "back-up" copy everytime I "save" a document? It only does this when I "Save" not when I "save as". My folders are quickly filling up with back-ups. This just started happening after I upgraded to Windows 7. -- Hawaiianshirt Does that happen for all workbooks or a specific one. Open the workbook>from Save AS dialog>Tools>General Options> check whether 'Always create backup' is enabled or not? If this post helps click Yes --------------- Jacob Skaria "Hawaiianshirt...

Time formats in Excel 2003
Being in the UK, I obviously want to use the English(UK) date format, so Christmas Day is 25/12/05 rather than 12/25/05. However, this defaults the time format to hh/mm/ss (why, I do not know, since I can assure American readers we're not normally that precise), so I have to reset it English(US) to get hh/mm, which resets the default date format to mm/dd/yy, so I have to change it back the next time I want to format a cell as a date. Any way round this? It's only a minor problem but it's irritating me. Steve Stephen, If you set up your own custom format with hh/mm, it w...

excel passwords #2
I need to know how to set up a password and change a password to prevent access to my workbook.TIA Use workbook/sheet protection. Select tools menu>protection. There you can select the type of protection you want and include a password Regards, F.I. >-----Original Message----- >I need to know how to set up a password and change a >password to prevent access to my workbook.TIA >. > ...

Excel 2003, when I click on a particular cell it gets deselected
While using Excel 2003, when I click on a particular cell, within 30 seconds, that particular cell gets deselected followed by the workbook. So each time I need to click either the cell or workbook to enter data in that particular sheet. There could be event code that is being fired. Does this happen if you open the workbook with macros disabled? HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "towinwin" <towinwin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B7B87AFB-27AC-4235-9AE3-5E7A46310AF8@microsoft.com... > While using Excel 2003, when I click on a particular cell, within 30 se...

Reading Registry Key through excel?
Is there anyway to read a certain registry key and display it in a cell how about a way to create a key through excel? is that possible -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Rav, There is a special registry area for VBA which is read/written via GetSettinmg and SaveSetting functions. It is a bit restrictive, in that in can only writes to a limited part of the registry, but it's sufficient for storing application details. -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "ravz &g...

Opening Attachments?
I have a Win XP Sp3 machine with Outlook 2003 Sp3 installed. This has worked previously. If I am looking at the email in the Reading Pane and there is an attachment I can click the attachment it works correctly, however if I "open" the email via a double click and then attempt to open the attachment I get an error related to the Outlook Secure Temp folder. There are no files in the OSTF location and the user has local admin rights on the machine. Also if the user creates a new email and adds an attachment and wants to view the file attached before sending there is al...

Opening photo attachments
In a laptop we had previously opened photos (.jpg) in e-mail attachments by default with Nero 7. The program got corrupted and had to be uninstalled, and this laptop is now with my wife in another location where we cannot reinstall Nero for a while. What is now happening when she tries to open such photos that are e-mail attachments is that she gets a message "application not found"; thus, she cannot open the files. She can save them and open them in another program (Adobe Photoshop), but they do not open by default and she has to save them first before she can open them. Is...

money 2003 will not open
I am trying to install money 2003 on a dell 933 desktop. I can get every other program in the works programs to work, (encarta, word etc but not money - it keeps getting that error report message and then if I try to start it it still gives me the error report-i have unloaded and reloaded several times-I have run regclean, regvac system mechanic etc to no avail. pleas help gary the error signature is AppVer 11.0.0.716 ModName:kernel32.dll ModVer 5.1.2600.2180 Offset:0001eb33 I found the answer to my question - it was a registry problem that required me to run : regsvr32 c:\wind...

Opening a csv with more than 65536 rows
Hi I have a 10MB .csv file having some 200,000+ rows and 3 columns. I obviously can open the file in any other plain text editor. But when I open this in MS Excel 2003, I get the msg *File Not Loade Completely*. The details are > > This error is usually encountered when an attempt to open a file wit > more than 65,536 rows or 256 columns is made. Excel is limited t > 65,536 rows of data and 256 columns per worksheet. You can have man > worksheets with this number of rows and columns... > So how would I go abt saving this entire .csv file as .xls ? The latte part (after 65...

Macro Run on WorkBook Open?
Have a macro that I want to run when the file is first opened. Is this possible? If so, How? Thanks in advance -- / Sean the Mc / "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931) You answered your own question. Right click on the excel icon just to the left of FILE> the workbook_open event is there. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "What-a-Tool" <Die!FrigginSpammersDieDie!@IHateSpam.Net> wrote in message news:MetMc.7592$BX.2445@lakeread08... > Have a macro that I want to run w...

excel find problems
I have a database in excel with 4 sheets. When I want to conduct a search, it only searches the active sheet. Therefore I have to select each sepearte sheet and carry out 4 individual searches. Is there any way to search all sheets at once? If there is not, I am aware I can create a user form and use the approproate syntax to conduct my required search. However this will take me a long time. If there is an easier apprach then please let me know. Regards camron What version of excel? How are you searching? In later versions of Excel, you can select multiple sheets and have Edit|Fin...

sheet protection #4
does anyone know a way around sheet protection? protection was put on a document by an ex staff member who can not remember doing it let alone the password. is there any way of resetting this? Hi Belinda Place the following code into a general module. Then select the sheet you want to unprotect and run the macro which will unprotect the active sheet. Sub UnprotectActiveSheet() Dim i As Integer, j As Integer, k As Integer Dim l As Integer, m As Integer, n As Integer Dim i1 As Integer, i2 As Integer, i3 As Integer Dim i4 As Integer, i5 As Integer, i6 As Integer On Error Resume Next For i ...

Multiple Sheet Protection
I have over 75 sheets in a workbook that I want to protect so that the contents of the cells remain hidden. Is there a way to apply protection to multiple sheets at a single time or do I need to open each sheet and apply protection. Thanks. Hi You have to protect one by one. However, tedious repeating tasks is what macros do well, so running those two won't take half a second: Sub LockEm() Dim Wk As Worksheet For Each Wk In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets Wk.Protect ("Harald is great") Next End Sub Sub UnLockEm() Dim Wk As Worksheet For Each Wk In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets ...