Opening Excel '97

I have MS Excel '97 on my computer at work.  I notice that when I open
multiple excel files the program just puts all of the files in one window.  I
would prefer to have the files open up in individual windows.  Is there a way
to tell Excel to open everything in a new window?  I know that I can just
open up a new Excel window then open the file, but I would rather just click
on the file and have it open a new window automatically.  Any thoughts out
there?
0
HiDbLevel (10)
9/19/2007 3:12:02 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

xl2k was the first version to offer Tools|Options|view tab|windows in taskbar.

It showed each window as a different icon on the taskbar--but all those windows
were in the same instance of excel.

If you wanted separate instances of excel for each workbook, this may work...

You can change this setting (xl2003 and below menu):
Tools|Options|General tab|Ignore other applications (check it)

Be aware that one side effect of having this setting checked is sometimes you
can't open a file by double clicking on it in explorer.  (toggle it back and
that should be fixed.)

This shows up for workbooks that have spaces in their name or path:
c:\my documents\excel\testworkbook.xls
or
c:\test of workbook2.xls

Cannot find C:\my, then more "Cannot find ..." messages.

It's more trouble than it's worth (for me, anyway).

If I want a second instance of excel, I'll just use:
windows start button|run
excel
then file|Open to open my file.

But I rarely want separate instances of excel.  It makes it more difficult to
copy|paste between workbooks.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Oh well.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> xl2k was the first version to offer Tools|Options|view tab|windows in taskbar.
>
> It showed each window as a different icon on the taskbar--but all those windows
> were in the same instance of excel.
>
> If you wanted separate instances of excel for each workbook, this may work...
>
> You can change this setting (xl2003 and below menu):
> Tools|Options|General tab|Ignore other applications (check it)
>
> Be aware that one side effect of having this setting checked is sometimes you
> can't open a file by double clicking on it in explorer.  (toggle it back and
> that should be fixed.)
>
> This shows up for workbooks that have spaces in their name or path:
> c:\my documents\excel\testworkbook.xls
> or
> c:\test of workbook2.xls
>
> Cannot find C:\my, then more "Cannot find ..." messages.
>
> It's more trouble than it's worth (for me, anyway).
>
> If I want a second instance of excel, I'll just use:
> windows start button|run
> excel
> then file|Open to open my file.
>
> But I rarely want separate instances of excel.  It makes it more difficult to
> copy|paste between workbooks.
>

> HiDbLevel wrote:
> >
> > I have MS Excel '97 on my computer at work.  I notice that when I open
> > multiple excel files the program just puts all of the files in one window.  I
> > would prefer to have the files open up in individual windows.  Is there a way
> > to tell Excel to open everything in a new window?  I know that I can just
> > open up a new Excel window then open the file, but I would rather just click
> > on the file and have it open a new window automatically.  Any thoughts out
> > there?
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
HiDbLevel (10)

"Registered File Types" "Opens with" What if a common type is not "registered?" Advanced?
I sent a family member as short MPG file (<1MB) as an attachment to an e-mail. He could not open it. I told him to search for some other MPG file that might be on his HD, and see if it opened. He said the found file opened with Real Player. But it seems that there is no obvious way to choose which app opens an attachment. He and I apparently have different MPG-2 decoders, and trying to walk him thru it with my having what must be different versions of apps and utilities and plug-ins was a failure. So I phoned him and thought that I would have him set Windows Media Player ...

Help
Hi I have produced an Excel workbook for gathering exam results and giving a score to them, counting the number of passes over a certain level etc. Each sheet is one student and I have used a little macro to name the sheet according to the name entered at the top of the sheet. My summary sheet requires certain formulae to analyse results from each worksheet. The problem is, I can easily enter the row of formulae for one student - but there could be up to 50 in a workbook! The fill action does not increment through the sheet names either when they are re-named or when they have original na...

Migration 97 to 2003 causes MailMerge to fail
I am having a problem converting an Access/Word application using mail merge, from 97 to 2003. The application works fine in 97, using VB code in Access to set up the Data Source and execute the mail merge, producing a new Word document containing the merged data. However, in 2003 it fails at the line wrdDoc.MailMerge.Execute with error 4605, This method or property is not available because document is not a MailMerge main document. I notice the MailMerge toolbar is greyed out in the merge document, whereas in 97 it is available. I have tried enabling the toolbar in the code, immedi...

Localized Header/Footer formatting codes in Excel 2000
Hello, I would like to set the Header/Footer parameters of an Excel worksheet from a VC++/MFC application using formatting codes, for example: PageSetup page = worksheet.GetPageSetup(); page.SetLeftHeader(_T("&D &T")); // print date and time to header The problem is that my Office 2000 is a localized version (Hungarian), and Excel doesn't seem to recognize the &T code, only the localized version, which is &I. This code works fine: page.SetLeftHeader(_T("&D &I")); I recorded a macro, and the generated VBA code also uses the non-localized vers...

excel #31
We have a workbook that is used by a number of people on our network. Whenever I update this the updates do not show when people open the file. Can anybody help me ensure that the updated version shown. Save to a central folder where all users will have access to only that modified file. Sounds like they are opening their own version of the file so don't see your changes. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 06:50:01 -0700, Joy29 <Joy29@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >We have a workbook that is used by a number of people on our network. >Whenever I updat...

What is the maximum no of bytes that can be stored in a excel file
what is the maximun of bytes that can be stored in a excel file I am trying to save records from another Quest TOOL called (TOAD) into MS- Excel. Please let me know. Eagerly waiting for your reply Thank -- prekid ----------------------------------------------------------------------- prekida's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2660 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39879 The limit on bytes depends on your computer's RAM. The max number of rows Excel can have is 65536 and the max number of columns is 256....

How do you change the data and input data into a chart on Excel?
Jon Peltier's Excel chart info may be useful to you. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ "unclemoko" <unclemoko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9AF9FAFA-B657-4C21-A4CA-56B81EC5C27B@microsoft.com... > ...

Acrobat pdf form and Excel XML
Hello everyone, I have written a spreadsheet for some data and a chart to display that data. The data is over a two week period for shifts worked, sick leave days and overtime shifts. This is for administration staff to process. The next step was I wrote a pdf form in Lifestyle designer. The form has a layout for a two week period, the dates and columns for the information to be put in by the supervisor. Then there is a button on it for the supervisor to email the XML data to admin staff. The spreadsheet and pdf form work well. It is a problem I have with the XML data. Once the orig...

EXCEL IQY Queries
I have created the Excel iqy queries from the third party reporting tools and during the process there is an option either to pass the User Login id and Pass word as a parameter or not. We have developed some queries using generic id so that the users do not have to pass the Login id and password and now we want to change that. Is there a way to modify that excelquery.iqy file without redoing that. can i see the sql script of that "iqy" file. can i modify that? Please let me know. Thanks in advance!!!! ...

Sparklines for Excel
Hi NG, Sparklines are tiny charts, a new invention of the info design guru Edward Tufte. You might be interested to check out our sparkline implementation for Excel: http://www.bonavistasystems.com/Products_SparkLiner_Overview.html MicroCharts enhances your Excel chart library with sparklines, bullet graphs and other in-cell charts: http://www.bonavistasystems.com/ChartGallery%20Column%20Charts.html Charts are created from MicroCharts fonts that consist of bars, line segments and pies. A chart is represented as text that is formatted with the MicroCharts fonts. Dynamic chart formulas u...

Why does Excel in XP create new files?
Excel adds duplicate files - Assist Log (2).xle, asssits Log (3).xls. Why? Can I make this stop. It appears all the files are identical - so if I just delete the extra files will I be losing any data? hi, I think this is something new in xl relating to thier file recovery during a GPF shutdown. but i keep getting it even without a GPF. when i save, excel will just up and ask me which file i want to save leaveing me sitting there asking "what do you mean which file. i only have one." it's getting anoying. >-----Original Message----- >Excel adds duplicate files - ...

Opening/Saving an Excel Attachement
After opening an attachment in Excel or Word the default folder that it saves to is a temp folder in the local settings. How can you change this to default to the users my documents. Remember we have opened these documents from an email. ...

Excel looking in wrong place for files
Hi, sometime ago I merged 2 partitions using PM8, and I was asked for a folder name, so I called My docs or something like that, and that folder was created on the said partition. Now when I go to open up a new file in excel it defaults to My Docs. So I formatted that partition changed all references in the Registry, rebooted and still excel is looking for new files in the wrong place. In fact the 'My Docs' folder no longer exists, so is there somewhere in Excel I can change its 'where to look' place? Thanks -- Bob H Leeds UK http://stores.ebay.co.uk/ContemporaryGifts4U...

How do I prevent Excel from auto-correcting the date format?
I am using Excel, and every time I enter 2/1 in the spreadsheet - it corrects it to Feb-1. How do I prevent it from doing this? One way is to format the input column / range as Text first (via Format > Cells > Number tab > Text > OK) -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- Singapore, GMT+8 xdemechanik http://savefile.com/projects/236895 -- "Watts" <Watts@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:16725A60-590A-4658-857A-2E6C8420D253@microsoft.com... > I am using Excel, and every time I enter 2/1 in the spreadsheet - it corrects > it to Feb-1. How do I prevent it from do...

Format Excel cells
Anyone could help me to solve this problem : How to format the selected cells so that it allows other users to "paste values" only(number from 0 to 100) to the cells. It rejects "paste" function which put formula, format etc into the cells. Thanks a million ! ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreade...

Excel 2002 File Extensions
I created a drawing in Excel 2002 and I want to be able to save it in a file extension such as .jpg, .gif or .png so I can use it in Dreamweaver MX2004. I do not see any way to SAVE AS any file at ALL in those file extensions. Am I NOT able to do that? and if not, WHY not? Thank you for your feedback. I am grateful. Richard... Just try to copy/paste it on power point, it have with the right-click the save as picture option. I was unable to find the option directly on excel, however as excel and power point are from microsoft, you should not lose anything when you paste in on PP....

can't open .jpg from outlook 2000 without saving first
We have a laptop running Windows XP SP1 with Office 2000 Premium SR1 installed, all patches up to date. When this laptop receives an email message with a .jpg file attached, we cannot double-click the attachment to open it. We get the error message, "No file format information can be found in the registry." When we clicks OK, we get the message, "Unknown file format." Microsoft Photo Editor opens, but nothing appears. If we save the file to the desktop, it opens without any problem, but uses the program Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. When we go in to the Fol...

Click Excel custom menu item via MFC automation
Hi, I have a question regarding custom Excel 2003 menu item click via MFC automation. The VBA version of the action I want to do is pretty straightforward: Application.CommandBars(1).Controls("NumeriX").Controls("Object Tools").Controls("Delete All Objects").Execute Now I need to translate the above line to C++ code. I already have the automation classes for CCommandBars, CCommandBar0, CCommandBarControls, CCommandBarControl classes generated by VS.NET 2003 class wizard. The interesting thing is that the get_Item() method of CCommandBarControl...

Opening multiple accounts in Outlook 2003
Assuming I have account A as major mailbox and account B as additional. Back in Outlook 2000, when browsing emails of account B and delete emails, they go into the [Deleted Items] folder of account A, no problem in that, I can still drag-n-drop the mails directly into the [Deleted Items] of account B and does not interferce account A at all. However in Outlook 2003, even when I drag the messages directly into [Deleted Items] folder of account B, they still ended up in that of account A. Any work around that we could resolve this? achen <achen2002@yahoo.com> wrote: > Assuming I h...

Problem with Excel opening multiple documents
Operating System : Win XP sp1 Excel 2002 sp2 Senario: Double click on xls document from explorer and the document opens fine in excel. Double click on another xls document from explorer and nothing happens. Try again and still nothing happens. Switch to excel to try File Open from the menu; However, Open is grayed out. Press esc key and the second xls sheet opens up. Anyone experience this problem or know of a solution to fix it ? Hi try the following: goto 'Tools-Options-General " and uncheck "Ignore other Applications" Exit Excel and try again If this doesn't work t...

Opening attachements from emails in outlook express
Outlook express is blocking access to all attachements on my emails even those that I know are 100% bona fide. I get the message "OE removed access to the following unsafe attachments" next to the paperclip icon. I only set this up to receive my emails recently so may have made a mistake in the set up. Any ideas??? Thanks David Deal "David Deal" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:022301c3b2bc$4c78b240$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Outlook express is blocking access to all attachements on > my emails even those that I know are 100% bo...

Excel 2003 vs 2002 problems
Hi, I have a large spreadsheet (80 MB) that was having some memory type issues in Excel 2002. I was told that 2003 has more memory. I upgraded today and noticed that the spreadsheet no opens better, i can copy/paste formulas better etc. However, I noticed that it calcualtes much slower than 2002. I have live stock data coming in via RTD links - the RTDThrottle is the same. I have run a sisde by side comparison (same spreadsheet running on two different systems - one with 2002 and the other with 2003) 2002 calculates much quicker. Does anyone know if I have to change something in...

Export from EXcel to jpg with 2007
Tom Ogilvy posted the following code some time back and it works wonderfully in Excel 2003 but, of course, encounters problems in 2007. Can anyone give suggestions for bringing it up to date for 2007? Sub ExportPicAsJpg() Dim chTemp As Chart Dim picCopy As Picture Dim dWidth As Double Dim dHeight As Double Dim shNew As Worksheet Set picCopy = Selection Set chTemp = Charts.Add Set shNew = Sheets.Add dWidth = picCopy.Width dHeight = picCopy.Height Application.ScreenUpdating = False With chTemp .SetSourceData Sou...

How to import Outlook Contact data into Excel
I have MS Outlook 2002 SP£ and Excel 2002 SP3. I am trying to import contact data from Outlook into Excel where I have created a template for sending out my invoices. Rather than type in data I thought that there must be a way to import the data from my contacts folder in Outlook. Ihave tried via MS Word 'Merge' programme but nothing but rubbish comes out as I cannot enter fields - Word converts my Excel file into its format and scrambles all! Had assumed it would be straightforward - Any sensible and successful ideas anyone? I have Outlook and Excel 2003 so I don'...

Excel range truncates when Pasted as Picture to PPT & Word
Hi... I have been trying to copy an Excel Spreadsheet into PPT, but have had problems. In order to solve it, I created new .xls and .ppt files to create a test, but got the same problems... The following steps recreate the problem: 1) In a blank spreadsheet, I placed a single number in each cell, starting at A1 and going across to AS, until there are 1 through 45 across. Format them in some way... say Red text with an underline. 2) Set the width of all the columns to 2.00 (0.11 inches). 3) Select A1:AS 4) Copy (or Add to Scrapbook) -- The result is the same with both. 5) From Scrapb...