One Nest Too Many - Help!

Hi all,

I'm working on a spreadsheet and have hit upon a problem. Due to an
extension in the range I am calculating my nested formula now exceeds
the magical 7 limit. I only actually need to add on more range to
calculate, but cannot work out what to do.

The formula I'm using is below. I basically just need to do the same
calculation for columns BT and BU:

=IF('Resource Calcs'!B2="","",IF('Resource Calcs'!$BF2='Resource By
Div'!$A$1,'Resource Calcs'!B2*'Resource Calcs'!$BG2,IF('Resource
Calcs'!$BH2='Resource By Div'!$A$1,'Resource Calcs'!B2*'Resource
Calcs'!$BI2,IF('Resource Calcs'!$BJ2='Resource By Div'!$A$1,'Resource
Calcs'!B2*'Resource Calcs'!$BK2,IF('Resource Calcs'!$BL2='Resource By
Div'!$A$1,'Resource Calcs'!B2*'Resource Calcs'!$BM2,IF('Resource
Calcs'!$BN2='Resource By Div'!$A$1,'Resource Calcs'!B2*'Resource
Calcs'!$BO2,IF('Resource Calcs'!$BP2='Resource By Div'!$A$1,'Resource
Calcs'!B2*'Resource Calcs'!$BQ2, IF('Resource Calcs'!$BR2='Resource By
Div'!$A$1,'Resource Calcs'!B2*'Resource Calcs'!$BS2, 0))))))))

I've been advised that I could split the formula across two cells, the
only problem being that I then copy the formula across a massive range
of around 2000 cells, and it will take quite some time to add new rows
and columns...looking for a simpler solution! :)

Any ideas?

Thanks!

SamuelT

--
SamuelT
SamuelT's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27501

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I do not have time to check this but here is any idea. The formula below
does not test B2 if is empty.This removes one IF giving room for another. If
B2 is blank you will get zero. Format the cell to display a blank when the
result is zero.

=IF('Resource Calcs'!$BF2='Resource By
Div'!$A$1,'Resource Calcs'!B2*'Resource Calcs'!$BG2,IF('Resource
Calcs'!$BH2='Resource By Div'!$A$1,'Resource Calcs'!B2*'Resource
Calcs'!$BI2,IF('Resource Calcs'!$BJ2='Resource By Div'!$A$1,'Resource
Calcs'!B2*'Resource Calcs'!$BK2,IF('Resource Calcs'!$BL2='Resource By
Div'!$A$1,'Resource Calcs'!B2*'Resource Calcs'!$BM2,IF('Resource
Calcs'!$BN2='Resource By Div'!$A$1,'Resource Calcs'!B2*'Resource
Calcs'!$BO2,IF('Resource Calcs'!$BP2='Resource By Div'!$A$1,'Resource
Calcs'!B2*'Resource Calcs'!$BQ2, IF('Resource Calcs'!$BR2='Resource By
Div'!$A$1,'Resource Calcs'!B2*'Resource Calcs'!$BS2, 0)))))))
Now you have 6 nested in the second IF and should be able to add another.
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"SamuelT" <SamuelT.1vt3qa_1127469903.8616@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:SamuelT.1vt3qa_1127469903.8616@excelforum-nospam.com...

> Hi all,
>
> I'm working on a spreadsheet and have hit upon a problem. Due to an
> extension in the range I am calculating my nested formula now exceeds
> the magical 7 limit. I only actually need to add on more range to
> calculate, but cannot work out what to do.
>
> The formula I'm using is below. I basically just need to do the same
> calculation for columns BT and BU:
>
> =IF('Resource Calcs'!B2="","",IF('Resource Calcs'!$BF2='Resource By
> Div'!$A$1,'Resource Calcs'!B2*'Resource Calcs'!$BG2,IF('Resource
> Calcs'!$BH2='Resource By Div'!$A$1,'Resource Calcs'!B2*'Resource
> Calcs'!$BI2,IF('Resource Calcs'!$BJ2='Resource By Div'!$A$1,'Resource
> Calcs'!B2*'Resource Calcs'!$BK2,IF('Resource Calcs'!$BL2='Resource By
> Div'!$A$1,'Resource Calcs'!B2*'Resource Calcs'!$BM2,IF('Resource
> Calcs'!$BN2='Resource By Div'!$A$1,'Resource Calcs'!B2*'Resource
> Calcs'!$BO2,IF('Resource Calcs'!$BP2='Resource By Div'!$A$1,'Resource
> Calcs'!B2*'Resource Calcs'!$BQ2, IF('Resource Calcs'!$BR2='Resource By
> Div'!$A$1,'Resource Calcs'!B2*'Resource Calcs'!$BS2, 0))))))))
>
> I've been advised that I could split the formula across two cells, the
> only problem being that I then copy the formula across a massive range
> of around 2000 cells, and it will take quite some time to add new rows
> and columns...looking for a simpler solution! :)
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks!
>
> SamuelT
>

> --
> SamuelT
> SamuelT's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27501
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=470166

0
bliengme5824 (3040)
9/23/2005 1:46:16 PM
Hi SamuelT,

You can try the following ARRAY formula (confirm with Ctrl+Shift+Enter, not
just Enter) which basically eliminates the nesting issue totally and you
should be able to copy it easily:

=IF('Resource Calcs'!$B2="","",'Resource
Calcs'!$B2*INDEX(IF(MOD(COLUMN('Resource
Calcs'!$BF2:$BS2),2)=MOD(COLUMN(INDEX('Resource
Calcs'!$BF2:$BS2,2)),2),'Resource Calcs'!$BF2:$BS2),MATCH('Resource By
Div'!$A$1,IF(MOD(COLUMN('Resource
Calcs'!$BF2:$BS2),2)=MOD(COLUMN(INDEX('Resource
Calcs'!$BF2:$BS2,1)),2),'Resource Calcs'!$BF2:$BS2),0)+1))

Notes:
1) this is a relatively expensive formula and may slow your sistem down
significantly if copied to too many cells.
2) the good news is that it doesn't seem to be volatile, so it will only
recalculate if the affected ranges change

Regards,
KL

"SamuelT" <SamuelT.1vt3qa_1127469903.8616@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:SamuelT.1vt3qa_1127469903.8616@excelforum-nospam.com...

> Hi all,
>
> I'm working on a spreadsheet and have hit upon a problem. Due to an
> extension in the range I am calculating my nested formula now exceeds
> the magical 7 limit. I only actually need to add on more range to
> calculate, but cannot work out what to do.
>
> The formula I'm using is below. I basically just need to do the same
> calculation for columns BT and BU:
>
> =IF('Resource Calcs'!B2="","",IF('Resource Calcs'!$BF2='Resource By
> Div'!$A$1,'Resource Calcs'!B2*'Resource Calcs'!$BG2,IF('Resource
> Calcs'!$BH2='Resource By Div'!$A$1,'Resource Calcs'!B2*'Resource
> Calcs'!$BI2,IF('Resource Calcs'!$BJ2='Resource By Div'!$A$1,'Resource
> Calcs'!B2*'Resource Calcs'!$BK2,IF('Resource Calcs'!$BL2='Resource By
> Div'!$A$1,'Resource Calcs'!B2*'Resource Calcs'!$BM2,IF('Resource
> Calcs'!$BN2='Resource By Div'!$A$1,'Resource Calcs'!B2*'Resource
> Calcs'!$BO2,IF('Resource Calcs'!$BP2='Resource By Div'!$A$1,'Resource
> Calcs'!B2*'Resource Calcs'!$BQ2, IF('Resource Calcs'!$BR2='Resource By
> Div'!$A$1,'Resource Calcs'!B2*'Resource Calcs'!$BS2, 0))))))))
>
> I've been advised that I could split the formula across two cells, the
> only problem being that I then copy the formula across a massive range
> of around 2000 cells, and it will take quite some time to add new rows
> and columns...looking for a simpler solution! :)
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks!
>
> SamuelT
>

> --
> SamuelT
> SamuelT's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27501
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=470166

in such case ,it is preferable to do programming in VB code,back side

that will help run programme more smooth..

--
smd11
smd111's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2750

"In such case" it is bulex! What exactly is the advantage of using VBA in
this case particular circumstance appart from:

1) slower execution
2) need to ensure the user enables macros upon openning the file
3) ensure that user has sufficient rights to set security level to Medium
4) less flexibility
5) higher risk of error

Remember: the macro will need to be executed each time the involved ranges
change (Change or/and Calculate event of the Sheet/Sheets will probably need
to be used), that is already taken care of by the formula and since it is
not volatile it won't recalculate on every recalculation in the workbook.

You try it in VBA and see if it is better ;-)

Regards,
KL

"smd111" <smd111.1vtn6a_1127495103.8291@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:smd111.1vtn6a_1127495103.8291@excelforum-nospam.com...

> in such case ,it is preferable to do programming in VB code,back side
>

> that will help run programme more smooth...
>

> --
> smd111
> smd111's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27508
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=470166

KL wrote...
>You can try the following ARRAY formula (confirm with Ctrl+Shift+Enter, not
>just Enter) which basically eliminates the nesting issue totally and you
>should be able to copy it easily:
>
>=IF('Resource Calcs'!$B2="","",'Resource Calcs'!$B2
>*INDEX(IF(MOD(COLUMN('Resource Calcs'!$BF2:$BS2),2)
>=MOD(COLUMN(INDEX('Resource Calcs'!$BF2:$BS2,2)),2),
>'Resource Calcs'!$BF2:$BS2),MATCH('Resource By Div'!$A$1,
>IF(MOD(COLUMN('Resource Calcs'!$BF2:$BS2),2)
>=MOD(COLUMN(INDEX('Resource Calcs'!$BF2:$BS2,1)),2),
>'Resource Calcs'!$BF2:$BS2),0)+1))
>
>Notes:
>1) this is a relatively expensive formula and may slow your sistem down
>significantly if copied to too many cells.
>2) the good news is that it doesn't seem to be volatile, so it will only
>recalculate if the affected ranges change

You seem to be trying for as general as possible. First, for
simplicity, I'll replace 'Resource Calcs'!$BF2:$BS2 with rng.

=IF('Resource Calcs'!$B2="","",'Resource Calcs'!$B2
*INDEX(IF(MOD(COLUMN(rng),2)=MOD(COLUMN(INDEX(rng,2)),2),rng),
MATCH('Resource By Div'!$A$1,
IF(MOD(COLUMN(rng),2)=MOD(COLUMN(INDEX(rng,1)),2),rng),0)+1))

Much simplification possible.

=IF('Resource Calcs'!$B2="","",'Resource Calcs'!$B2
*INDEX(rng,MATCH(1,(rng='Resource By Div'!$A$1)
*(MOD(COLUMN(rng)-COLUMN(INDEX(rng,1)),2)=0),0)+1))

0
hrlngrv (1990)
9/23/2005 9:52:59 PM
"Harlan Grove" <hrlngrv@aol.com> wrote in message
> Much simplification possible.
> =IF('Resource Calcs'!$B2="","",'Resource Calcs'!$B2
> *INDEX(rng,MATCH(1,(rng='Resource By Div'!$A$1)
> *(MOD(COLUMN(rng)-COLUMN(INDEX(rng,1)),2)=0),0)+1))

Thanks Harlan - that's much better in deed.

Regards,
KL

Account list balance does not match register balance...help...please???
I am having an issue in which my account register balance (which is correct and matches my bank balance) does not match the balance displayed in my account list page. Here are the symptoms: 1) All withdrawals and deposits are reconciled (I download all transactions daily). 2) The account register w/ the detailed transaction data is correct and matches the bank as well as my manual calculations. 3) The account list page displays is always $0.27 less than the account register page. 4) Only happens for one account (my checking account). I have tried the following as troubleshooting: 1...

I'm getting 'too many edits in this document' trying to paste
Just trying to cut and paste from one document to another and I keep getting this error message Try cleaning out your temp folder: it is probably full of abandoned temp files. See http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm for help with this. -- Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP "ranju1115" <ranju1115@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:43E1CE45-11FB-4EBD-A7D4-9D581613420A@microsoft.com... > Just trying to cut and paste from one document to another and I keep > getting > this error message In news:43E1CE45-11FB-4EBD-A7D4-9D5...

insert or merge pages from one publisher document to another
Is there seriously not a way to merge two publisher documents together without using the CUT and PASTE method. i just cant believe that Microsoft would create a piece of software that is so un-user friendly. A couple of ways here. The first method is not for the faint of heart. The PubCat link is to a web page by Ed Bennett, Publisher MVP. All the instructions are on his web page http://msauer.mvps.org/combining_publisher_documents.htm -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "mark d" <mark d@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F9805512-372A-47ED-BC40-...

Can schedule meetings further then one month out in Outlook 2002?
Our Admin has access to everyones calendar and usually does all the scheduling of meetings. Today when she tried to schedule a meeting for Sept 2004, it shows all invitees as information unavailable? So she can't schedule the meeting. Any ideas why this is happening? We have never had a problem with scheduling meetings far out in advance. Thanks...any help would be appreciated! Diana I got it figured out :-) >-----Original Message----- >Our Admin has access to everyones calendar and usually >does all the scheduling of meetings. Today when she >tried to schedule...

help with percent
Here goes my stupid question. Hope someone can help. Example: Column A Lets say A1 to A150 is filled in with only one number i each cell the numbers range from 1 to 12. Lets say there are 20#1's 0#2's, 5#3's and so on and maybe some numbers between 1 and 12 are no listed at all. What I need to know is what percent of 100 does eac number between 1 and 12 equal so I can put this in a chart. In othe words if you add all the #1's, what percent of 100 does all the numbe 1's equal. In the chart I need to show the numbers 1 to 12 and th percent total of each one. also...

Excel Charting (help)
Hi everyone, Can anyone help? I am having difficutly chart what I thought would be easy..:-) I have 500 rows of dates in one column. (there is lots of other information-data on the sheet). I want to plot a line graph with the Dates on the X and NUMBER OF DATES (ie counta) on the Y axis... The only way I know how to do this is to place a number 1 to 500 in the respective cell next to the date... and then plot it.... is there a better way?? Excel 97 & NT :-( Hi Steve, From your message it appears the data in the column of interest has many repeat values. Do you know the unique ...

Could someone please help me with using Columns?
I am working on a Word document, and I need to set up 4 columns in several parts of the document. In one example, in the first column I need 2 rows of text, in the second column I need 4 rows of text, in the third column I need 4 rows of text, and in the fourth column I need 3 rows of text. I sketched out an example of what I need it to look like in the following image: http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/6574/wordexamplelayout.png I need to be able to specify the number of rows in each column and the text shows up in each column. Can I do this using columns in Word? Or ...

Help with Tab
Hi, In word we set Tab for moving to fixed distance. Is it possible do same in excel? If possible please let me know how to set up Tab. Thanks. The closest excel has is just using the space bar multiple times. If you wanted to indent the value in the cell, you could use: format|cells|alignment tab and click that Indent spinner. newbie wrote: > > Hi, > In word we set Tab for moving to fixed distance. > Is it possible do same in excel? > If possible please let me know how to set up Tab. > Thanks. -- Dave Peterson ...

xbox and windows medid centre..............help??
My son wants to go on XBOX online....we went to xbox.com/pcsetup like it said, but this is the message we get.....i can't figure it out....help?? I've gone to the media centre website, it gets me nowhere...........i've uploaded windows updates....i'm lost. Cannot Connect the Xbox 360 console to This Computer This computer is currently running a newer version of Media Center. The computer must be running Update Rollup 2 for Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 or Windows Vista in order for the Xbox 360 console to connect. To learn more about compatibility with ...

*Help* Senders Getting NDR Message Size Too Big--But Are Not
Hello-- We are running Exchange Server 2003 Standard on a Windows Server 2003 Standard platform. About a week or two ago our members starting getting NDRs that the message size exceeded the limit. We had it set to the default, and we did tests of sending ourselves messages from home with 4MB attachments, small mesages, etc. and would still get the NDR. After that, I set the message size (not attachment size) to unlimited, and some of our members are still getting NDRs that the message size is too big. Can anyone help me and tell me what this could possibley be? Everything else on our...

WLM no pictures in one address
I cannot see pictures in emails from one address nor does the Unknown Sender/Delete and Block/Allow Sender tool bar appear above the email. What's wrong? -- lQQkitsAK If it's just one sender, it could be something wrong with the messages. Take a look at the Message Source (Ctrl-F3) for the problem message. If FROM: header doesn't contain an e-mail address, you won't won't be able to block/allow that sender since that's the criteria. As for the pictures, do you see any picture attachments? For what to look for, see: Decoding Internet Attachments -...

updating muliple rows in one table based on information in another
I have 2 access tables...table 1 contains a street name and a low number and a high number as well as a route number. I wish to update table 2 which has a row for each address. If the street matches and the address is within the range, I want to update the route number in table 2. There are multiple rows in table 1 for each street name. Both tables are quite - table 1 has >18,000 rows and table 2 has >500,000 rows. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Al, Please give some sample/example values from each table, with field names. "This is what ...

One more exchange ?
I'm somewhat new to this particular scenerio. The domain for AD is an internal domain (domain.int), that wont cause problems with exchange, correct? I just need to change the user e-mail in AD users and groups to user@domain.com, correct, or do I have more that I need to do, or need to set the AD domain to a public domain (domain.com)? No, it won't. There is an article here, that outlines the general steps: http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Shared_Hosting_Exchange_2003_Part1.html You need to have an MX record setup for the domain on your external DNS. You need to have the doma...

Help me please! #4
I use the function named EndDialog(IDABORT) to close the dialog on Windows2000(Server+sp3). It is successful. But, it occurs exception on Windows2003(Clean). I don't know why occurs exception and how to resolve the question. Help me please! Give me more help please! Thanks! ...

HELP
I am using Publisher 2002 and have Microsoft Vista on my computer. I am trying to create a publication and use mail merge. I have been using the mail merge wizard and I follow the directions. However, after I add the fields for the address, when I click 'Preview the Publication', the box is empty. It does not merge my information. I am wondering if maybe Publisher 2002 is not compatible with Vista. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks. It is compatible. What are you using as a data source? Are you using the *More Items...* in step 2? I'd try that option rather tha...

One More Time
Hi I am working on a Horse Shoe program -- I need to find the high score weekly of all games played Try This----- Can any one help---- Lee D E F G H I J K L M N 16-May 23-May 6-Jun 13-Jun 20-Jun 27-Jun 11-Jul 18-Jul 25-Jul 1-Aug 8-Aug 23 Total Points Gm.#1 30 51 55 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 24 Total Points Gm.#2 25 37 37 0 0 0 ...

Help Cancatenating!
Hi, I am entering a number as text on a form. the number has spaces which i need to keep in the original field, but I need to remove the spaces from the number in another field on the form. example: The original number: 6855 90 963 3081283 Corrected number: 6855909633081283 I need the second field to show this number without the spaces. Any help is appreciated Use the Replace command Replace(Me.FieldName, " ", "") Just substitute your field name in FieldName "Ryan_R" wrote: > Hi, > > I am entering a number as text on a form. the number has ...

Help needed with table design/layout for newbie
Hi, i have just joined the forum and have built a few DB's in the past but found i have forgotten almost everything! I do remember with a previous DB i layed the tables out incorrectly which impacted on the flexibility down the line so would like advise before i start in order to get a good foundation. My dB is for our watersports centre to book people onto courses and retain their details in a contacts table to be imported to Outlook for mailing info. We run various courses which then run on multiple dates across the year. So for example we may run a Powerboat Level 1 course, this...

Help for compare 2 data table in excel format!`
I got 2 data table in excel format, but I want to know the different between 2 table! For instance, Table 1, Table 2, Inventory ID Qty InventoryID Qty CC2210 5 AA1101 5 CC2211 8 CC2210 9 CC2212 100 CC2211 160 ...... Between 2 table, I want catch the inventoryID AA1101 IS THE DEFFERENT. How ahould I do ?? Thanks! Danny If you're looki...

need help with sorting
I have made an expense report template which I use, but the information in this report varies week from week. What I want to do is create a formula that will automatically search the data entered and skip over areas that may not have data in them and enter that information in another area without skipping spaces. I guess I need a formula that will automatically retrieve data and sort it and put it in another area of the report. example: A B C D 1 DAY Breakfast Lunch Dinner 2 MON 12.00 15.00 45.00 3 TUE 17.50 4 WED ...

Help needed on generating sequences
Hi all, in a excel sheet i want to generate the following sequences for some array of numbers let us say starting from 0 and going to N-1 bits, the sequence is from the Hamming Code. For clarity reasons i want to put a formula in excel that can show me which bit is to be checked as follows: Position 1: check 1 bit, skip 1 bit, check 1 bit, skip 1 bit, etc. (1,3,5,7,9,11,13,15,...) Position 2: check 2 bits, skip 2 bits, check 2 bits, skip 2 bits, etc. (2,3,6,7,10,11,14,15,...) Position 4: check 4 bits, skip 4 bits, etc. (4,5,6,7,12,13,14,15,20,21,22,23,...) Position 8: check 8 bits, skip 8 bit...

Help! EXMERGE Doesn't work
Could someone help me get ExMerge working please? I carefully followed Jim McBee's recipe for setting up ExMerge permissions (http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com/2005/07/recipe-for-setting-up-permissions-to.html). However, I still couldn't get it working. I turned on the maximum logging and the logs show me that there is a permission problem as the following: [14:53:37] OpenStores: Start [14:53:37] GetMsgStoresTable successful. [14:53:37] Checking service 'Microsoft Exchange Message Store' [14:53:37] Found service 'MSEMS' in current profile. [14:53:37] Error opening...

Please help! How do you increase an expense in your budget without affecting the past reports?
OK imagine I have a budget in which I've been spending 100$ per month on movies. Last month I spent $120 on movies so I was over my budget by $20. Now I decide "I think I will up my spending on movies to $140 per month." I make the change in my budget, now when I look back at how I've done it calculates at $140 the whole way back through my money file and so it looks like I actually saved $20! This is NOT what happened. I want to increase the expense from a certain date not apply it retropsectively to the whole budget! How do you stop this from happening????? Paul...

How does one change the font in column and row header?
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Is there a way to change the font in the column and row headers? I am trying to change the font size in row header that has the numbers and column headers that have the letters. For example A / 3225, I would like to make it smaller to fit the numbers in the allotted space. No, the formatting of the default Column/Row headings cannot be modified. I'm not sure what you're actually asking to do, though... The Column Headings never contain more than 3 characters (i.e., XFD) & the Row Headings nev...

One or multiple GPO's
Does anyone know if it speeds up logins to combine all your GPO settings into a single large GPO - or separate them out into smaller GPOs e.g. for MS Office etc. The settings will apply to all users... Thanks Hector Hello goundhog, Check the following article and you can see it depends: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2008.01.gpperf.aspx One limit you have to keep in mind, go to "Maximum Number of GPOs Applied": http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc756101(WS.10).aspx Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided &q...