old file transfers

I have an old system running on 3.1, with business files on it I want to
transferee these files to my other computer , it has xp system running.

is there a patch I can download to my xp system which will let me open old
excel documents

0
jason9638 (1)
10/9/2004 5:43:22 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

If your xp computer has Excel installed, you should be able to open the
old Excel file.

If not, you can download an Excel Viewer from the Microsoft web site,
that allows you to view and print files:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4EB83149-91DA-4110-8595-4A960D3E1C7C&displaylang=EN

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)

Help, Excel Files Being Wiped Out: Data Lost or Corrupted
When I try to open certain Excel files, I get this message: Unable to read file. [OK] Unable to read file. [OK] Errors were detected ... MS was able to open the file by making the repairs below. Save the file to make the repairs permanent. Damage to the file so extensive that repairs were not possible. Excel attempted to recover your formulaes and values, but data may have been lost or corrupted. The resulting file is devoid of any formatting, and some formulaes are gone. It's really no use since it takes so much time to reconstruct these files. I've been saving 4 different v...

pst files #16
How do I find the pst files so that I can delete some. Outlook 2007 will not open and the error says its a problem with the pst files. "BarryO" <BarryO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1DCD8E78-6127-4A5D-92A3-35B5CA0270F9@microsoft.com... > How do I find the pst files so that I can delete some. Outlook 2007 will > not > open and the error says its a problem with the pst files. "Deleting some" will not enable you to open outlook. Can you post the EXACT error message you are getting? ...

Excel HTM files
i have an excel file that i am working on that i have saved as htm i can create hyperlinks from a cell to a worksheet within any one particular file with pretty cool results but now i want to create a hyperlink from one htm(excel) file to another htm(excel) file any ideas? Thanks in advanced ...

Problems with removing old Deleted Items files
Our Exchange server went from version 4.0 and is now at 5.5 w/SP4 and is running in a cluster. I have some users that, although OutLook says that there are no deleted items, and, they'll religiously delete what they do have every time that they exit OutLook, Exchange Administrator shows a lot (50-80 MB, in some cases) of Deleted Items. I understand that there was a bug with either 4.0, or, in going from 4.0 to 5.5 that would cause retention of Deleted Items? If this is my problem, how can I delete this files? Thanks! This is quite normal if you have deleted item retention enabled. ...

Import PO from a text file?
Is there a way to import and create POs from a text file, xml, or something like that? We have version 1.2 Thanks. Luis Do you need of a tool that create PO for you? Antonio Do you have one? I could use some information on it "Antonio Mazzeo" wrote: > Do you need of a tool that create PO for you? > > Antonio > > Yes, I have.. but with my customer rules and my text file :) antonio Does anyone have anything like this already? An add-in? I'm very interested. Ken Nelson "Antonio Mazzeo" <amazzeo@email.it> wrote in message news:uFZ...

iCalendar (ics) file adds appointment even when there is a conflic
I am creating a .ics file using a .net application and sending it over email. The recepient (using Outlook 2003) is able to open the ics file and add the appointment to their calendar. The issue is that the appointment gets added even when there is a conflict (an event already exists on recepient's calendar during that time). Is there a way that user should get notified if there is a conflict during that time (which happens when using regular calendar invites). Are you creating an invite or a plain appointment? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www...

How to determine old PST settings?
A user's profile became messed up and they got a new rpofile. Now the problem is they don't remember where their PST file was (it's not on the local hard drive). Where can I find what the old PST setting was in their old profile - registry hive? A .PRF file? Anywhere? Thanks. Steve Snyder wrote: > A user's profile became messed up and they got a new rpofile. Now the > problem is they don't remember where their PST file was (it's not on > the local hard drive). Where can I find what the old PST setting was > in their old profile - registry hive? A .PR...

corrupt file
I would like to know the error message that appears when excel give whe it cannot open a corrupt file ,or how do i corrupt a file to get the message thanks. -- philthedi ----------------------------------------------------------------------- philthedil's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=799 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26406 One way to corrupt a file is to save and open it directly from a floppy Once file gets larger than 1/2 of the space available on the floppy it should corrupt it You will get differe...

Way to determine if an old money file was tampered with?
The transactions in an old money file may be needed to support arguments in a civil case. The file is from the mid nineties and the date time stamp on the file supports this declaration. Opposing counsel may try to call into question the validity of the file. Is there a way to get additional information out from the money file to support the fact that it is indeed from the mid nineties? Thanks much. What version can you open it with? Beyond that, probably not. I'd think the best bet would be to prove that an exact copy exists that was made in that time period and was then sealed awa...

Read xml file with multiple elements

corrupt file #2
I try to open a excel worksheet but it says the file is corrupt is ther anyway i can open it -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com philthedil wrote... > I try to open a excel worksheet but it says the file is corrupt is there > anyway i can open it . > Phil, The folllowing is something that I saved and might be of use to you. Best regards, Kevin Title: Corrupt File Created On: 3 April 2004 By: Kevin Stecyk, Jan Karel Pieterse Keywords: Excel, corrupt, file Notes: Posted to Newsgroup: crashes, gpfs ============================================================ ...

Read/Write a My XML File
I have created a XML File With XmlTextWriter and the result is : <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?> <Configuration> <Settings> <DbName>DoxWork</DbName> <PathDB>C:\Documents and Settings\v.savino\Desktop\</PathDB> <DbServerName>Server</DbServerName> </Settings> </Configuration> Use XmlTextReader for read XML File.. This is my code : Do While XReader.Read If XReader.NodeType = XmlNodeType.Element Then msgbox XReader.LocalName & " " & ...

Annoying read-only when the file is closed
Hi, Configuration: Desktop: Office 97, Excel 97 Network: Windows 2000 Active Directory Some users are sharing an Excel file. Sometimes when the file is closed, opening the same file still comes up with the read-only/notify window. How come that this prompt is still coming up when the file is not opened anywhere. Can you help in this puzzle? Thanks ...

HELP! Money Files and Backup files lost!!
I had a computer guy work on my computer and asked him to consolidate folders because we had folders all over the place and I wanted them all in a centralized location. As a result, Money can't find my files. I tried doing a search for *.mbf & *.mny files to no avail. The files that show up are EMPTY!! AND as luck would have it, BOTH my backup floppies are corrupt!! Can anyone help me find my files? The computer guy insists that he deleted nothing. I'm using Microsoft Money 2001. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated as we're talking about 8 years of finanacial d...

Read Text file, display output
Hello, I have a text file called OS.txt that looks like this: Windows 2000 Professional 5.0 (2195) Windows 2000 Server 5.0 (2195) Windows 7 Professional 6.1 (7600) Windows 7 Professional 6.1 (7600) Windows 7 Professional 6.1 (7600) Windows 7 Professional 6.1 (7600) Windows 7 Ultimate 6.1 (7100) Windows NT 4.0 Windows NT 4.0 Windows Server 2003 5.2 (3790) Windows Server 2003 5.2 (3790) Windows Server 2003 5.2 (3790) Windows Serverr 2008 Standard 6.0 (6002) Windows Serverr 2008 Standard 6.0 (6001) Windows XP Professional 5.1 (2600) Windows XP Professional 5.1 (2600) Windows...

Can't open files

Help with profiles .pst files and roaming profiles
Hi all and thanks in advance for the future answers; Well, we have a enviromente that goes like this: 1 Domain Controller 1 Mail Server running KERIO MAIL SERVER 2 Terminal Servers running CITRIX PS 4.5 1 Server running the citrix console The problem: We have like 50 users now that connect to servers A or B and have their roaming profile working fine, all files and configs come and go, with the exception of the OUTLOOK profile. When i had to add SERVER B to the system, i had to copy users folders from server A and apply the same permissions one by one, otherwise outlook would not work and ...

file replication service log
On one of our DCs ( 2003 sp2 ) I havent seen any new entries in the file replication sevice log for several months. All replication appears to be working, just wondering if there is something possibly wrong. -- Carl "Miadf" <nf@no.com> wrote in message = news:%23MsQye6yKHA.6140@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > On one of our DCs ( 2003 sp2 ) I havent seen any new entries in the = file=20 > replication sevice log for several months. All replication appears to = be=20 > working, just wondering if there is something possibly wrong. >=20 > --=...

Excel XP on WinXP file open err
Howdy! I have a profile issue I am trying to resolve in XP. The user lost their ability to double click a .xls file to open. Excel still launches, but no file opens. You have to go through the file-open process. ..xls still shows as an "excel" icon, but they just don't open. I don't have a lot of xp-erience with XP os, so I don't know what to look for. This is the only profile (of 5 local) with the problem. Any ideas? --Chris Sometimes one of these works: Close Excel and Windows Start Button|Run excel /unregserver then Windows Start Button|Run excel /regse...

How do I change the default file of type from shortcuts in the fa.
When opening files via your favourites in Excel 2003, the default file type is shortcut and I can only access excel files by change the file of type each time. Is there a way I can set this function to automatically look at excel files whenever I open up excel? I think these dialogs try to help you by remembering what you did last time. This is slightly quicker for me: Instead of using the dropdown and looking for the excel files, I'll just type: *.xls in the filename box and hit enter. (or even *.xl* if you need .xlt, .xla and .xls....) P.L.Whitehart wrote: > > When open...

.Net Compiler Creating Wrong Namespace In Discovery file
I have two web services running on my server. One is ABC.asmx the other is ABC_D.asmx both are in seperate folders... When I compile the project for abc.asmx the Namespace information in the resource.map.vb file is http:\\127.0.0.1\ABC_D Do you know what may be causing this, Thanks for the help ...

problems installing outlook client: The Microsoft CRM Data File, M
Problem trying to install Microsoft CRM 3 Outlook desktop client on a PC running windows XP service Pack 2 and Outlook 2003 service Pack 2 connected to exchange. Originally downloaded ISO installation file from Microsoft downloads, and burnt CD. Installation failed, it seems the installation CD was corrupt. We then found our original installation CD, which when we installed it, it came up with two messages: - Microsoft Outlook was not initialized. Please run Outlook and configure your mail account. ---- Outlook is installed and running, there's no problem with this so I do not unde...

how do i upload a pdf file into my webpage using microsoft publis.
help me out. Do you want the pdf file available on your website by clicking on a link? Give a visit to www.vanusa.org and click on any of the numerous links and see if this is what you want. -- Don Vancouver, USA "LeendaLism" <LeendaLism@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:753F59E6-7402-41A3-8C38-5B39C0BF7DAB@microsoft.com... > help me out. ...

FTP provider for windows 2008 ftp server to automatically delete file after it is downloaded by the client
Hi All, Development Environment: Microsoft Visual Studio 2008, Version 9.0.30729.1 Microsoft .NET Framework Version 3.5 SP1 Windows Server 2008 server service pack1 IIS 7.0 FTP 7.5 service Reference : http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/632/how-to-use-managed-code-c-to-create-an-ftp-provider-that-sends-an-email-when-files-are-uploaded/ Required: FTP provider for windows 2008 ftp server to automatically delete file after it is downloaded by the client Problem: I have followed each steps as mention in above link. I have implemented following interface method. ...

Creating accde file
I am in the final stages of creating my database in access 2007 and it will not allow me to create an accde file when I click on the make accde button. It comes up with an error message saying 'Microsoft Office Access was unable to create the .accde, .mde, or .ade file' Please help - I would really like to do this as I don't want the users to play around with the code etc. Thanks in advance. Here's a checklist of things to work through: http://www.access.qbuilt.com/html/conversion.html#CannotMakeMDE -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Aust...