Office 2003/XP/2000 to be converted to 97

I created add-ins (Excel & PowerPoint) for Office 97/2000/XP/2003.
Each client may have different machines with different Office
versions. If a user has Office 2003 and wants to give the Excel
Workbook or Power Point Presentation to a user with office 2000, do I
have to use the following command ?

activeworkbook.saveas "C:\aa.xls", xls9795 (I don't remember exactly
the parameter)

I noticed that by saving it like this, especially the presentations,
their size becomes 3/4 times more (from 4MB it becomes 12MB).

What are your suggestions ?
0
clarkou (20)
10/20/2004 6:45:19 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

"Save As" changes the file format; it does not change the VBA code.
Moreover, the choice is not "97/2000/XP/2003", it is "Microsoft Excel
97-Excel 2003 & 5.0/95 Workbook (*.xls)".  Notice where the "&" falls.
Excel 97-Excel 2003 all use the same file format.  It is support for
Excel 5.0/95 that is being added by this option.  When you select this
option, it saves two complete versions of the workbook in one file; one
version for 97-2003 and one for 5.0/95.  If 97 is the earliest version
you need to support, don't do this; just save.

The VBA may still be at issue.  You will have to test in 97 to see if
you have used any VBA features that were not available in that version.
  When you open in 97 if you get a message about some file (probably a
..dll) not being found, then you may need to copy all of your code into
Notepad, delete the modules and save the worksheets only.  Then open in
97 and recreate the modules from the .txt files.  It is generally easier
to develop in the lowest common denominator and move forward.

Jerry

CLarkou wrote:

> I created add-ins (Excel & PowerPoint) for Office 97/2000/XP/2003.
> Each client may have different machines with different Office
> versions. If a user has Office 2003 and wants to give the Excel
> Workbook or Power Point Presentation to a user with office 2000, do I
> have to use the following command ?
>
> activeworkbook.saveas "C:\aa.xls", xls9795 (I don't remember exactly
> the parameter)
>
> I noticed that by saving it like this, especially the presentations,
> their size becomes 3/4 times more (from 4MB it becomes 12MB).
>
> What are your suggestions ?

0
post_a_reply (1395)
10/20/2004 12:06:53 PM
In article <db08d9f5.0410192245.15874b5d@posting.google.com>, CLarkou wrote:
> I created add-ins (Excel & PowerPoint) for Office 97/2000/XP/2003.
> Each client may have different machines with different Office
> versions. If a user has Office 2003 and wants to give the Excel
> Workbook or Power Point Presentation to a user with office 2000, do I
> have to use the following command ?

What Jerry said goes for PPT also.  All of the PPT versions you mention use the
same file format.  There's no need to Save As to anything but the default
format, and choosing that oddball hybrid format adds a PPT95 version of the
presentation ALONG WITH the 97-2003 version.  If there are any images in the
presentation, that's a recipe for Instant Huge.

Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
PPT FAQ:  www.pptfaq.com
PPTools:  www.pptools.com

abuse3141 (30)
10/20/2004 6:01:12 PM
thanks a lot Jerry, only my add-ins include VBA code. The workbooks I
will save will include only data & charts. Because I am not so
advanced user for Excel options, I was wondering whether there some
options as in PIVOT tables where could be created in Office 2003, but
not supported in 97.

When I develop the add-in I work in 97 and then upgrading to newer
versions.

"Jerry W. Lewis" <post_a_reply@no_e-mail.com> wrote in message news:<4176567C.9000804@no_e-mail.com>...
> "Save As" changes the file format; it does not change the VBA code.
> Moreover, the choice is not "97/2000/XP/2003", it is "Microsoft Excel
> 97-Excel 2003 & 5.0/95 Workbook (*.xls)".  Notice where the "&" falls.
> Excel 97-Excel 2003 all use the same file format.  It is support for
> Excel 5.0/95 that is being added by this option.  When you select this
> option, it saves two complete versions of the workbook in one file; one
> version for 97-2003 and one for 5.0/95.  If 97 is the earliest version
> you need to support, don't do this; just save.
>
> The VBA may still be at issue.  You will have to test in 97 to see if
> you have used any VBA features that were not available in that version.
>   When you open in 97 if you get a message about some file (probably a
> .dll) not being found, then you may need to copy all of your code into
> Notepad, delete the modules and save the worksheets only.  Then open in
> 97 and recreate the modules from the .txt files.  It is generally easier
> to develop in the lowest common denominator and move forward.
>
> Jerry
>
> CLarkou wrote:
>
> > I created add-ins (Excel & PowerPoint) for Office 97/2000/XP/2003.
> > Each client may have different machines with different Office
> > versions. If a user has Office 2003 and wants to give the Excel
> > Workbook or Power Point Presentation to a user with office 2000, do I
> > have to use the following command ?
> >
> > activeworkbook.saveas "C:\aa.xls", xls9795 (I don't remember exactly
> > the parameter)
> >
> > I noticed that by saving it like this, especially the presentations,
> > their size becomes 3/4 times more (from 4MB it becomes 12MB).
> >
> > What are your suggestions ?
0
clarkou (20)
10/21/2004 5:21:20 AM
Thanks a lot Steve.

Steve Rindsberg <abuse@localhost.com> wrote in message news:<VA.00000c0c.0e8c1779@localhost.com>...
> In article <db08d9f5.0410192245.15874b5d@posting.google.com>, CLarkou wrote:
> > I created add-ins (Excel & PowerPoint) for Office 97/2000/XP/2003.
> > Each client may have different machines with different Office
> > versions. If a user has Office 2003 and wants to give the Excel
> > Workbook or Power Point Presentation to a user with office 2000, do I
> > have to use the following command ?
>
> What Jerry said goes for PPT also.  All of the PPT versions you mention use the
> same file format.  There's no need to Save As to anything but the default
> format, and choosing that oddball hybrid format adds a PPT95 version of the
> presentation ALONG WITH the 97-2003 version.  If there are any images in the
> presentation, that's a recipe for Instant Huge.

> Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
> PPT FAQ:  www.pptfaq.com
> PPTools:  www.pptools.com
clarkou (20)