Numbering a list of calculated Rows.......Advice Please

Can anyone advise me how to number the first  column of my worksheet.
I want the number to automatically increment when I enter the first cell of
following row. I do not want this number to be entered manually.
I need to be able to delete rows randomly and for the the row numbers to
automatically renumber in numerical order with no numerical gaps.
For example if I have a column 1,2,3,4,5, and delete 3, I would like the
column to automatically renumber as 1234 and not 1,2,4,5.
I hope I have explained myself correctly. I have a copy of Excel 2002
InsideOut, but can't find a method to do this.
Please supply an example if possible.
Regards
Dermot
0
Dermot (50)
11/15/2005 9:50:04 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Use a formula of =ROW()

--

HTH

RP

"Dermot" <Dermot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone advise me how to number the first  column of my worksheet.
> I want the number to automatically increment when I enter the first cell
of
> following row. I do not want this number to be entered manually.
> I need to be able to delete rows randomly and for the the row numbers to
> automatically renumber in numerical order with no numerical gaps.
> For example if I have a column 1,2,3,4,5, and delete 3, I would like the
> column to automatically renumber as 1234 and not 1,2,4,5.
> I hope I have explained myself correctly. I have a copy of Excel 2002
> InsideOut, but can't find a method to do this.
> Please supply an example if possible.
> Regards
> Dermot

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
11/15/2005 9:59:21 PM
Thanks for the Reply Bob,
Great formula...
Another relevant question...although basic.....
I will try to keep it brief....
I know how to enter the formula in a cell
I could enter the formula in say a group of 20 Cells manually...
I do not know how a shortcut method to enter the formula in all the cells
beyond say row 4 to say infinity.....this would save me the need to return at
a later date to
enter the formula manually every time the rows I have previously entered
enter the formula in run out (Used as a record).
I have tried experimenting with copy and paste but do not get the results I
expected.

Please advise me of the options available to me?
Regards
Dermot

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

> Use a formula of =ROW()
>
> --
>
> HTH
>
> RP
>

> "Dermot" <Dermot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Can anyone advise me how to number the first  column of my worksheet.
> > I want the number to automatically increment when I enter the first cell
> of
> > following row. I do not want this number to be entered manually.
> > I need to be able to delete rows randomly and for the the row numbers to
> > automatically renumber in numerical order with no numerical gaps.
> > For example if I have a column 1,2,3,4,5, and delete 3, I would like the
> > column to automatically renumber as 1234 and not 1,2,4,5.
> > I hope I have explained myself correctly. I have a copy of Excel 2002
> > InsideOut, but can't find a method to do this.
> > Please supply an example if possible.
> > Regards
> > Dermot

0
Dermot (50)
11/16/2005 12:49:02 AM
"Dermot" wrote:
> ... a shortcut method to enter the formula in all the cells

One way ..

Type the range you want to fill in the namebox*,
say:   A1:A100
*the box with the dropdown just to the left
of the equal sign / formula bar

Enter/Paste into the formula bar, the formula that's supposed to be in the
starting cell in the range, example: =ROW()

Press CTRL+ENTER

A1:A100 will be filled

And if its to be filled to the max A1:A65536, think we could just select col
A, put the formula in the formula bar, then press CTRL+ENTER
--
Rgds
Max

demechanik (4694)
11/16/2005 3:23:12 AM
1. Enters a relatively long worksheet.

2. To divide the worksheet into separate sections by inserting blank
rows as required.

3. The item numbers (as given by =ROW() for each row thereof) would
skip as the case may be.

4. Please advise an alternative.

5. Regards.

0
tkt_tang (117)
11/16/2005 5:05:03 AM
Thanks again Bob the solution.
After deleting the ROW, I overlooked double clicking on the cell above the
deletd row (at the point where the numerical sequence breaks), Double
clicking on the bottom right corner of the cell when th cursor turns to a
crosshair, restores the numerical order.
I realise this is fundamental, but I am getting here.
Regards to All
That responded.
Dermot

"Dermot" wrote:

> Thanks for the Reply Bob,
> Great formula...
> Another relevant question...although basic.....
> I will try to keep it brief....
> I know how to enter the formula in a cell
> I could enter the formula in say a group of 20 Cells manually...
> I do not know how a shortcut method to enter the formula in all the cells
> beyond say row 4 to say infinity.....this would save me the need to return at
> a later date to
> enter the formula manually every time the rows I have previously entered
> enter the formula in run out (Used as a record).
> I have tried experimenting with copy and paste but do not get the results I
> expected.
>
> Please advise me of the options available to me?
> Regards
> Dermot
>
> "Bob Phillips" wrote:
>
> > Use a formula of =ROW()
> >
> > --
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > RP
> >

> > "Dermot" <Dermot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Can anyone advise me how to number the first  column of my worksheet.
> > > I want the number to automatically increment when I enter the first cell
> > of
> > > following row. I do not want this number to be entered manually.
> > > I need to be able to delete rows randomly and for the the row numbers to
> > > automatically renumber in numerical order with no numerical gaps.
> > > For example if I have a column 1,2,3,4,5, and delete 3, I would like the
> > > column to automatically renumber as 1234 and not 1,2,4,5.
> > > I hope I have explained myself correctly. I have a copy of Excel 2002
> > > InsideOut, but can't find a method to do this.
> > > Please supply an example if possible.
> > > Regards
> > > Dermot

0
Dermot (50)
11/16/2005 9:23:02 AM
Thanks for the information, very useful.
Dermot

"Max" wrote:

> "Dermot" wrote:
> > ... a shortcut method to enter the formula in all the cells
>
> One way ..
>
> Type the range you want to fill in the namebox*,
> say:   A1:A100
> *the box with the dropdown just to the left
> of the equal sign / formula bar
>
> Enter/Paste into the formula bar, the formula that's supposed to be in the
> starting cell in the range, example: =ROW()
>
> Press CTRL+ENTER
>
> A1:A100 will be filled
>
> And if its to be filled to the max A1:A65536, think we could just select col
> A, put the formula in the formula bar, then press CTRL+ENTER
> --
> Rgds
> Max
> xl 97
> ---
> Singapore, GMT+8
> xdemechanik
> http://savefile.com/projects/236895

Dermot (50)
11/16/2005 9:24:02 AM
Hi TKT,
I ventually figured out that Bob's solution above was correct.
Max's posting above explained how to enter the formula in the appropriate
number of cells.
Your posting told me how many cells are in a column....very long!!
When the ROW is deleted, you have to double click on bottom right corner of
the cell above the deleted row, the cells below the deleted row then fall
into numerical sequence. This is fine if the number assighed to the record is
not important, which in my situation is the case.

"tkt_tang@hotmail.com" wrote:

> 1. Enters a relatively long worksheet.
>
> 2. To divide the worksheet into separate sections by inserting blank
> rows as required.
>
> 3. The item numbers (as given by =ROW() for each row thereof) would
> skip as the case may be.
>
> 4. Please advise an alternative.
>
> 5. Regards.

0
Dermot (50)
11/16/2005 9:32:01 AM
You're welcome !
--
Rgds
Max
> Thanks for the information, very useful.
> Dermot

0
demechanik (4694)
11/16/2005 10:19:41 AM
"Dermot" wrote:
> .. After deleting the ROW, I overlooked double clicking
> on the cell above the deletd row
> (at the point where the numerical sequence breaks),
> Double clicking on the bottom right corner of the cell
> when th cursor turns to a crosshair,
> restores the numerical order.

As posted in response in your other post in .worksheet.functions:

Found it puzzling why you had to do the above, for row deletions*.   The
formula: =ROW() should auto-calc for the rows below which move up.  If you
had earlier filled it say to A1:A100, and then you subsequently deleted say,
row50, the re-numbering of all the impacted 49 rows below which move up
should be automatic, w/o requiring another formula fill op.  Is the calc
mode switched onto Manual, by any chance ? (Check via: Tools > Options >
Calculation tab)

*For insertions of new rows in between, yes, but not for deletions.
--
Rgds
Max
Singapore, GMT+8
xdemechanik
http://savefile.com/projects/236895

demechanik (4694)
11/16/2005 10:26:14 AM
Hi Max,
Thanks for the reply.
I wanted to start the numerical sequence from 1 starting at row 6.
I tried using = ROW() but it returned the existing row number of 6.
I wanted to understand the =ROW() function so turned to my book because I
didn't know what it was.The excel inside out book suggested ........
I use =ROW(H1) to start from 1 at row 6. (I don't know what the "H" stands
for?)

Returning to your present posting........
The auto-calc feature is selected in options.
The rows do not automatically renumber for me.
It could be because of the way I have incorporated the formula =ROW(H1) from
row 6........if I have misunderstood your explanation and there is a
corection I could make to have the auto-Calc on deletions then I would
appreciate a further explanation if you can see where I am going wrong?

*For insertions of new rows in between, yes, but not for deletions.
I appreciate this comment, It would have cropped up later and caught me
unaware If I manged to get the auto - calc to work for this column, I would
have assume i should wok for insertions! Thanks.
Regards
Dermot

"Max" wrote:

> "Dermot" wrote:
> > .. After deleting the ROW, I overlooked double clicking
> > on the cell above the deletd row
> > (at the point where the numerical sequence breaks),
> > Double clicking on the bottom right corner of the cell
> > when th cursor turns to a crosshair,
> > restores the numerical order.
>
> As posted in response in your other post in .worksheet.functions:
>
> Found it puzzling why you had to do the above, for row deletions*.   The
> formula: =ROW() should auto-calc for the rows below which move up.  If you
> had earlier filled it say to A1:A100, and then you subsequently deleted say,
> row50, the re-numbering of all the impacted 49 rows below which move up
> should be automatic, w/o requiring another formula fill op.  Is the calc
> mode switched onto Manual, by any chance ? (Check via: Tools > Options >
> Calculation tab)
>
> *For insertions of new rows in between, yes, but not for deletions.
> --
> Rgds
> Max
> xl 97
> ---
> Singapore, GMT+8
> xdemechanik
> http://savefile.com/projects/236895

Dermot (50)
11/16/2005 11:35:41 PM
"Dermot" wrote:
> .. to start the numerical sequence from 1 starting at row 6.

One way is to use ROW() & a simple arithmetic correction for the starting
row, example: =ROW()-5. Then fill down down to cover.
Any subsequent row deletions within the filled range would then be catered
for automatically.

> I use =ROW(H1) to start from 1 at row 6.
> (I don't know what the "H" stands for?)

The "H" is part of a cell reference, H1. "H1" is simply a cell in row 6.  We
could also have used: =ROW(A1), =ROW(B1), etc
in the starting cell, and filled down. All would give identical results.
Usually I'd just use: =ROW(A1), and fill down. However, unlike using the
former: =ROW()-5, as you had rightly observed earlier, this method doesn't
auto-adjust for subsequent row deletions in the filled range.

--
Rgds
Max
Singapore, GMT+8
xdemechanik
http://savefile.com/projects/236895

demechanik (4694)
11/17/2005 1:32:19 AM
Oops, typo in line:
> .. "H1" is simply a cell in row 6.

should read as:
--
Rgds
Max
Singapore, GMT+8
xdemechanik
http://savefile.com/projects/236895

demechanik (4694)
11/17/2005 1:46:40 AM
It looks to me like you are piggybacking a different question
onto someone else's thread.  Your question reads like a telegram
and is not clear as to the behavior you want and the behavior you
don't want.   But since   =ROW()  would include empty rows, and
you want a different behavior,  here is the answer to ...

How to provide an item count that does not include empty rows (based on column A):
A5: (empty or has text value)
A6:  =COUNT(A$5:OFFSET(A6,-1,0) +1

a variation would be that would count rows that have text value in Column B
A5: (empty or has text value)
A6: =IF(ISTEXT(B6),COUNT(A$5:OFFSET(A6,-1,0))+1,"")
advantage:  the formula could be included even if rest of row is empty and not count.

This is not the best way to work formulas because each formula is
getting it's own count, rather than from the cell above.  So if you have a
large worksheet or work additional  formulas in the same fashion, you could
have a performance hit.   (mentioned in slowresp.htm and proper.htm)
   http://groups.google.com/groups?as_umsgid=ugDxrXayCHA.2592@TK2MSFTNGP10

There is no performance hit on   =ROW()    because it only refers to itself,
but as you know it will not be count of the rows with items of interest to you
when you have insert empty rows.

---
HTH,

<tkt_tang@hotmail.com> wrote in message ...
> 3. The item numbers (as given by =ROW() for each row thereof) would
> skip as the case may be.

Drop-down list #5

ignore list
I have importet some contact data into mscrm, When I want to add these contacts to a marketing list (add marketing list members / use advanced find/ add all selected members), the adding stops with an error. I have done a trace during the error (occurs everytime I want to add these contacts) which shows me the following error: [2009-08-24 11:15:36.778] Process:OUTLOOK |Thread:5884 |Category: Unmanaged.Platform |User: PlatformUser |Level: Error | Found crmId {319C876A-CC39-DC11-9F61-0030485C3892} in ignore list. Update notification will be ignored Function: CItemHelper<struct Outlook::_Co...

Duplicate Rows
I have an extract from a student information system in Excel that looks like this. Student Class Grade Quarter John Chemistry 70 1 John Chemistry 80 2 John Math 95 1 John Math 100 2 Alice Chemistry 67 1 Alice Chemistry 47 2 Alice Math 88 1 Alice Math 85 2 What I would like is this: John 70 80 95 100 Alice 67 47 88 85 However, since there are hundreds of students, this would be an extreme pain to do by hand. Is there any built-in formula or function in Excel that can do this? What is it that you actually want to do? (The best approach depends on what your desired end r...

Add rows automatically? Accordion
Is there a way to automatically add/show rows that have data? I have a data entry sheet. Then I have a report. The report pulls data from the entry sheet. If there is no data for a specific line/row item, is there a way to automatically hide or not show the row(s) with no data? Thanks Thanks can I have more than one autofilter on a sheet? Sloth wrote: > Use the filter function > Select the data and click on... > Data->Filter->Autofilter > This should make an arrow appear at the top of the data (in the header row). > click the arror and select "Nonblanks"....

Format for credit card numbers

limit the number of outgoing messages
Hi, who can I limit the number of concurrent outgoing messages? for example: if I have a queue of 1000 messages, how can I force exchange to send only 50 messages at a time? ...

Forumla to calculate a percentage
I have a column of figures that I need to calculate that if the figure in column A is Transport costs to us is �100 and column B is the price sold to the customer is �25.00, i need the third column to work out < 72% Theoretical Transport Recovery in other words if the value in column B is <72% mark it red Like wise for fuel is the value in column B is <132% mark it red Try as I might I cannot get it to work it out any ideas Julie, This formula gives the correct percentage... =(B1-A1)/A1 Format the formula cell with this custom number format... 0%;[Red]-0% If you don'...

Coloring a row
I have a spreadsheet and I want to have cells colored from column A to K if cell h is not blank. So if h3 has a date in it I want A3:K3 to be say light blue. This is for Office 2003. I can do it with conditional formating in 2007, but my work place doesn't have 2007. I did use column L and put an if statement to give a true or false in the cell depending on if the cell in col. h was empty or not. Any ideas how to get this to work? Hi John This sort of thing will work in 2003 conditional formating. In Cell A3 go to Format - conditional formattting. Formula is Paste...

Refreshing list boxes
Hi, I have created a database so that mulpile users can add detailss to the table - tblDetails from the form frmDetails or amend details in form frmAmend. I have a list box on the main page frmMain which has a list box lstSearch which shows all the records in the database. When users add new record to the database other users cannot see the added records unless the move to another section in the datbase and the return to the main page thus refreshing the list box. Can anyone tell me if there is a way I can put a "Refresh" button on the main page that updated the list box if the use...

Calculating on alphabetic cell content

Numbering in Book Files
I am creating a tech manual where each chapter is its own file. I have created an outline numbered list and saved the list in a template that I then use to create the new chapters. However, I am finding that when I go into a new chapter that the outline numbering does not pick up on the chapter (Heading 1) number. For example: Chapter 1: Heading 1 style 1.1: Heading 2 style 1.1.1: Heading 3 style, etc. But when I start my next chapter, when I update the chapter number to start at 2, I get this: Chapter 2: Heading 1 style 1.1: Heading 2 style 1.1.1: Heading 3 style, etc. ...

Freeze the side column/top row & scroll others
what is the function to set (lock in or freeze) the first column and / or top row of a spreadsheet, so the words and numbers remain in the same place as you scroll the other columns and rows. (so you can add more columns..yet keep the main information in the first column/row) Freeze Panes..... In older versions of Excel, it is under Window. In 2007 version of Excel, it is under View. You first select a cell, then activate the command. Excel uses the selected cell's upper left corner to define the freeze point. Play with it. You can also Unfreeze panes that were fro...

Excel List Sorting Problem (Descending)

Bank One Download is not working

Find Highest Score In List Formula
Hello all, I'm looking to return the highest score for a users with multiple scores in a list of other users with multiple scores. Thank you, Ron Say the data is like: frank 56 joe 9 frank 74 frank 101 jim 143 jim 146 joe 200 frank 164 joe 135 joe 127 joe 177 jim 10 jim 135 jim 53 frank 190 joe 109 jim 193 jim 29 jim 8 jim 107 joe 93 joe 9 jim 153 jim 186 joe 36 jim 174 jim 141 frank 55 jim 92 frank 141 joe 15 frank 5 frank 34 joe 161 jim 103 joe 88 and we want the max score for frank: =MAX(IF(A1:A36="frank",B1:B36,""...

Calculating the 95% confidence inteval of a slope
As a low key user, I can calcualte the slope of a line from the x and y values, but I don't know how to determine how good the estimate is. Can someone help? -- Seeker 1) Using Analysis ToolPac Regression tool. See http://www.jeremymiles.co.uk/regressionbook/extras/appendix2/excel/ http://www.stat.wmich.edu/s216/book/node128.html 2) With LINEST and/or STEYX. See http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HA011119631033.aspx quote:The STEYX function calculates the standard error of a regression, a measure of the amount of error accrued in predicting a y for each given x. Th...

Listing recurring appointments
I have tried in both Outlook 2002 and 2003 to print a list for my cleaning service that shows the dates in a list. The appointment is set up as a recurring every 4 week. I cannot find a way to list it outside of reading the dates, and writing them on a separate report. Thank you. Can you create a view that shows only those appointments? One way would be to assign a category to them, and then create a new view that filters based on the category field. Then you ought to be able to print just those items, in a table view. Tony Linguini wrote: > I have tried in both Outlook 2002 and 2003 to...

Locating a number for a MS office
I have lost the boklet that accompanies my CD. However, I am unable to locate a number to contact someone. Any thoughts. I think if you ever learned how to contact them directly, they'd put a hit out on you. (Seriously, visit the MS website and drill down through the tech support area until you find the numbers you need. Good luck.) -- The problem with resting on your laurels is that eventually you are sitting on dead branches. JoAnn "ziggy" <ziggyzaggy@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:0a4c01c36747$0fb00a40$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I have lost the boklet that...