Number Format Problem

I am importing data from a program at work.  The data come in in th
format of ###@##(three numbers, a letter, and then 2 more numbers).
The problem is that when a code such as 123E04 is imported, exce
thinks it means 1.23E+04.  This is a problem becasue the data I need i
the E04 part.  (I use the RIGHT(cell,3) formula to get the portion
want.)  Any ideas on how to get the number in the format I want?
have tried changing the cell characteristics, and all kinds of stuff.

Thank

--
kola556
kola5567's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2461

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

kola,

Rename the file with a .txt extension, then when you open it, Excel will
step you through an import wizard, during which you can tell Excel to treat
those values as strings.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"kola5567" <kola5567.1r54ib_1119632706.4256@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:kola5567.1r54ib_1119632706.4256@excelforum-nospam.com...

http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24614
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=382015

0
Bernie

Problem
Ever since I added a Microsoft Exchange Server Account and all it6s associated folders and its in-box to my pre-existing Personal Outlook 2003 POP3 folders, I have had nothing but confusion. The Exchange Server account from my workplace downloads its messages into the in-Box for my private ISP POP3 account and vice versa. When I try to configure a rule for my personal POP3 account so that any messages addressed to my workplace account are loaded into the exchange server in-box on my client PC, the software tells me I have to go on-line to Exchange Server - even to create rules for th...

date problem #10
Thanks a lot, Dave This piece of code works great. M P Redd -- mpredd ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mpreddy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1327 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26358 ...

Problem changing parent Business unit
WE have re-arranged some business units into a more appropriate hierarchy, however, we have noticed that a user in a role with deep privileges (own business unit and children I think) to read users can only see users in his own business unit and only one of the child business units (there are 2 child business units). We cannot enable him to see all the users in both child business units. We tried reassigning the parent business unit to the one child that is not appearing, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. WE also tried adjusting the privileges up and down (i.e. Global and local...

create new users STRANGE problem
Hi, I'm developing a web application (using standard asp and not asp.net) to let certain remote users administer exchange 2003. I have installed win2003 standard edition, exchange 2003 enterprise edition,owa and my web application on the same server. My web app, let users to create mailboxes, delete mailboxes, change user password. All works fine, but for example, if I reboot the server, a web application user can create 50 mailboxes. But when any of these users log on to owa, something goes wrong and the admin user cannot mailbox enable other user accounts through the web app, even if he ...

Problem w/ Outlook
I'm running Office XP and all of a sudden I can't move messages to other folders not delete messages from my Inbox. It doesn't give me a specific error code, just suggests that I restart Outlook. I've tried that with no success. I went to ControlPanel and repaired my Office installation. Any ideas? Eudora is looking beter all the time. ...

Auto-numbering of Opportunities
Hello all, I have one question: considering that Opportunities are not meant to be auto-numbered by design, what is the best practice to implement auto-numbering on such entities? Thank you in advance, Hrvoje Try this blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/crm/archive/2008/05/13/auto-numbers-in-microsoft-dynamics-crm.aspx Greetings Patrick H "Hrvoje Vrbanc" wrote: > Hello all, > > I have one question: considering that Opportunities are not meant to be > auto-numbered by design, what is the best practice to implement > auto-numbering on such entities? > > Tha...

Number of wsheets in an excel workbook???
hey guys, how many wsheets does one excel workbook have? I need to have about 66 - is that possible? Thanks. Maria -- mariasa ------------------------------------------------------------------------ mariasa's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=31726 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=521656 Yes I have created a workbook with more sheets in it that that. obviously depending on the amount of data on each sheet your workbook could be getting quite large and possibly unmanageable! I guess you will have to try it! D...

How do I convert time format to text?
I have a cell with a formula of =text(c3-b3,"h:mm") as the difference from cell b3 and c3. Assume the result is 5:00. I need to minus another cell value that is formatted as general text. eg. =text(c3-b3,"h:mm")-G3 Thanks....Andrew Hi Andrew- Try the VALUE() fx and format that cell with your choice of Time Formats. HTH |:>) "Andrew" wrote: > I have a cell with a formula of =text(c3-b3,"h:mm") as the difference from > cell b3 and c3. Assume the result is 5:00. I need to minus another cell value > that is formatted as general text. ...

Problems with Outlook 2003
This only happens with externally sent messages. Internal messages work fine. One of my users alerted me to this issue, so I tested this myself. I created 2 messages (internal and external) and added delayed delivery to both. They were both set to go out at the same time. The internal message went, and the external message is still in the outbox. The user who alerted me to this found her message went "before" the scheduled time.We are not running in cached mode and of course running Outlook on Exchange. Is this a bug? ...

Custom Formatting a Chart Data Label
I want to create a chart which will display a zero value on the data label where there is in fact a zero value, and show N/A on the data label where it didn't apply. The formula I am using in the spreadsheet uses a nested formula to make this determination: =IF(AND(B22+C22>0,C22>0),B22/C22,NA()) Presently, it works but displays the #N/A on the chart where I would prefer it simply displayed as N/A. Can I do this with a custom format on the data label?? Thanks so much! I don't know how you all do it but your amazing! -- If you can read this, thank a Teacher... If your read...

memory problem of Excel 2003 copy & paste
Hi all, I am using Excel 2003 for some project. I am having 2GB C drive harddisk space. After a while, the Excel begins to be extremely slow in copy and paste... It takes about half an hour to copy and paste just a few cells... I've consulted people. It seems a memory problem. But I cannot close my windows and kill the processes, because I am running long-running (overnight) jobs... I cannot reboot either. Is there a way to clean the memory and let Excel 2003 clipboard function properly without rebooting or killing my 4 long-running processes? Thanks! p.s. I am sure this is an is...

ProbleM: when I restore a mailbox using Exmerge with a pst file, nothing is transferred.
Hi, I am practising Exmerge for a big remote site migration in a couple of weeks. One thing I dont understand is that I can backup one test mailbox fine using Exmerge (I know this works, as I have opened the mailbox pst file within outlook and everything is there), but when I perform the restore using the pst file, nothing happens. There is no error messages, and Emerge goes through the motions (though it finishes supsiciously quick), but when I open the mailbox, no emails have been restored. Although it is great that Exmerge is working for the backup part of the stage, I am disappointed it i...

how to write a number with 0
Hi how to write number starting with 0 for eg. i want to write number 021495566 i had tried but it gives 21495566 pls do the needfu -- NITESH ----------------------------------------------------------------------- NITESH G's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1759 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=48272 Hi Nitesh, Try using the custom format: 000000000 --- Regards, Norman "NITESH G" <NITESH.G.1y475y_1131346800.4507@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:NITESH.G.1y475y_1131346800.45...

Public Folder/OWA problem
We're running a pure Ex2k3 environment. I'm trying to setup a public folder where end-user software can be posted. This way, users can access our front-end OWA server outside of the network, open public folders, and then save the software to their local PC. The problem is that i get a "403 Forbidden" error whenever i try to download the file off of OWA. I checked that users had all permissions to the folder.. I found this TechNet article that describes something very similar (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/834743/en-us). The only problem is that it refers to som...

Shared workbook and VBA problem
Shared workbook and VBA problem Hi Group, I am new at this Excel stuff and I am hitting my head on a silly problem that I am sure many have seen before. I wrote a very simple spreadsheet where I use the Calendar control to pick some dates. Everything was fine until I decided that I needed to share it on the network with other users. As soon as I share it the calendar control stops working. I get a "runtime error 1004, unable to set left property of oleobject class". That's because the first thing I try to do is position the calendar. If I don't do that, it still doesn't...

outlook express 6 password problem
Help I have outlook express 6, windows xp. My internet provider just changed from att broadband to comcast. now i keep getting a password rejected error and i cant receive any mail. i cant seem to find a way to shut off the password. in my wifes page of xp it works ok. Hi, Bill - This is a group to support Outlook from the Office group of programs. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and is a quite different program, despite its similar name.. You will probably get a faster and more expert answer if you post this to an Outlook Express news group. Try posting in one of these n...

Formatting detail section w/two lines
HELP, I'm trying to create the below in a report, but when I align the "title" field below the "name" field and the "background" field is more than one line, the "title" is no longer directly underneath the name. Is there anyway to accomplish this? Name Background Title Thanks for your expertise! Sincerely, Cynteeuh A couple of things to try. 1- Size Backgroundbigger than two lines and set Can Shrik to No. 2- Combine Name and Title into a single text box and set Can Grow to Yes. =[Name] & Chr(13) & C...

Windows XP Shared PC
We are using Outlook 2000. The PC, which already had Microsoft Office 2000 loaded on it, was upgraded from Win 98 to Win XP. I then created Windows XP logons for all four people that will be sharing this PC. When I did, the Outlook shortcut automatically ended up on the desktop of each person when they individually logged in. When I clicked the shortcut the first time I went in to each person's desktop, I setup the mail account for JUST THAT PERSON. And when I go back and log into each person's desktop it still shows ONLY THEIR ACCOUNT. However, whatever mail they receive ALS...

Problems Recieving Emails
I have two accounts one for me and one for the better half. I have them set up on outlook correctly . The problem is I can only down load the wife's email using out look express. I also use Mail Washer to wash the crud out and it does not see the email either although it logs on to the accounts. Cox is my ISP. I have discussed it with them and the answer was to take it up with Microsoft, but that was a waste of time as they have not found any cause for the action. Any ideas of the problem would be kindly accepted. 1. Version of Outlook? 2. Separate mail profiles? 3. Separate Windows L...

center text when conditional format applied
Textbox control on Access 2007 form lost its centered alignment when conditional formatting is applied. This did not happen in previous versions of Access. I tried using format painter to apply conditional formats from a control created in an earlier version, but this failed. The control created in the earlier version then lost it's centering after saving in Access 2007. -- Roy Handy Interesting. I tried to replicate this behaviour but failed, it all worked as it should. Try revisiting your form after applying the conditional formatting and resetting the text box to center text. ...

Hebrew Oulook problem solved
Removing the com add-in Outlook Attachment remover solved the problem. ...

Crystal Reports problem 07-11-05
Hi, Client was seeing the usual logon problem when trying to access reports. Tried re-starting all services and this error disappeared but now isn't showing any reports at all. Checked all the files and databases and can't see where the problem is - any suggestions please. By the way this is post install - no one has yet been prompted to install the activex viewer. Hello Pete, This could be Active Directory related. Could you check you added the Microsoft CRM server and the SQLServer computer to the Pre-Winodws 2000 Compatible Access group? This solved a number of problems at ...

Date Problem #2
Hi All Please can someone advise me what to do, I have a date in a textbox where I am using the AddDate method to increment the day , but I am getting strange results. Is this because the US date? if so how do I change this to work for the UK date? Any help would be greatly appreciated regards Subs Hiya- i'm not sure what formula you're using- I put a random date in A1 and pasted the following formula in B1 & C1: =DATE(YEAR(A1),MONTH(A1),DAY(A1)+1) it increased the day by 1 in both cells. I then changed the format to UK and it worked just fine. Is this what you're l...

Do a calculation in cells with text data format
I have a few columns of cells having a mixed data format of number and text. Is it possible to convert the first row of numbers in text data format for further calculation? Your guidance to accomplish it is appreciated. Thanks, Ray Example? -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Ray" <NoSpam-ZQLi@GMail.com> wrote in message news:ei$Jbmy$FHA.216@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > I have a few columns of cells having a mixed data format of number and text. > Is it possible to convert the first row of numbers in text data format for > further calculation? Your guidance to accomplis...

clip art preview problem
I just downloaded the new microsoft security pack and now my Clip Art function on all of my office programs will not display a preview from the Online Clip Art search program. I know it searches because lots of boxes come up and some of them will insert and show up in my document if I double click them. but I can't spend all of my time inserting them into my document to see if they are the ones I want. A few times the Office Assistant has said that a picture is not available because I do not have the right graphic converter and to press help for more info - that just takes me in ...