Not enough memory for large workbooks

In my job, we have large workbooks containing many tabs and many
formulas.  We are having a problem with these large workbooks and we
get an error message of "NOT ENOUGH MEMORY" when we try to open and/or
save these large workbooks.  Is here an easy fix to this problam?

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Kevin wrote:
> In my job, we have large workbooks containing many tabs and many
> formulas.  We are having a problem with these large workbooks and we
> get an error message of "NOT ENOUGH MEMORY" when we try to open and/or
> save these large workbooks.  Is here an easy fix to this problam?

To my knowledge no, Excel can handle millions of cells on a worksheet
but not alot of worksheets. The best you can do (that I know of) is find
out how many worksheets your workbook can handle and then move the rest
of the worksheets over to a new workbook.  Ugly? Yes, and if someone has
another solution I want to know as well.
0
itguru (22)
1/22/2005 12:47:29 AM
This may be of interest to you;
http://www.decisionmodels.com/memlimitsc.htm

--
Regards;
Rob
"Kevin" <fredunknown@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> In my job, we have large workbooks containing many tabs and many
> formulas.  We are having a problem with these large workbooks and we
> get an error message of "NOT ENOUGH MEMORY" when we try to open and/or
> save these large workbooks.  Is here an easy fix to this problam?

0
NotLikely (282)

Large Word document can't finish opening
I have a document that's over 100 pages long, and it's not able to get past page 92 when I try to open it. An hourglass shows up, and I have to close it using task manager. I've tried Detect and Repair without any luck. Can this document be saved? I have Windows XP Professional and Word 2003. Thanks, Jay On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 16:39:26 -0800, Danaphile <Danaphile@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a document that's over 100 pages long, and it's not able to get past >page 92 when I try to open it. An hourglass shows up, and I have to ...

Not enough system resources to display completely #2
I get the notification "Not enough system resources to display completely" whenever I try to open a fairly large (4MBytes) and complex (tons of formulaes)Excel file. The file is opened but the display is garbled. I have created this file over a period of time myself, so now suddenly why am I unable to open it. I tracked the memory usage around the time I get this error and it was at around 58 MBytes. I am using Excel 2003, which is supposed to have a per instance limit of 1GBytes. I have a lot of critical data in there which I do not want to loose. What should I do? Do al...

Hardware specification for dealing with large files (Excel 2003 and 2007)
Hi All Apologies for repeating parts of other subjects, but I was wondering what people thought were the most important hardware requirements for a machine to effectively calculate large Excel spreadsheets. Specifically, I have problems at the moment both with re-calculations (can take a few minutes) plus things like re-calculating cell contents (when copy-and-pasting formulae) can take forever, often leading me to kill the Excel process.. We're currently on Excel 2003 but are looking to upgrade when the new version comes out. As a starter for ten, I'm guessing the following are the ...

large email stuck in Outbox
I have an email with a large attachmment stuck in my Outbox. After trying to send it I get the error message gtom my email server that the email is too large. The problem is that outlook won't let me delete the email. I get either no message when trying to delete or Outlook tells me that it is already being send and I cannot delte while sending. Is there any way to get rid of this email? Hi, Log off from outlook. Kill Mapisp32.exe Then remove the network cable. Connect to outlook Work Offline Now u can delete the file from Outbox. Rgds, Kishore >-----Original Message----- &g...

names were detected in this workbook
Hi Please help me to rectify the problem. I have excel file created in office 2003 when I open the file in 2007 it prompt for an error message "One or more invalid names were detected in this workbook. Those invalid names have been changed to #REF " and when the file open the chart is not displayed properly. the file was open in compatibility mode. I tried also to save it in Excel 2007 but stil the chart is not displayed right. Please advice. Hi, See the response to your other post. Also, please don't cross post. -- If this helps, please click the Yes button. Cheers...

Pulling data from multiple workbooks
I have at any one time a set of approx 200 workbooks that contain data in the same format. I would like to quickly identify the worksheets that contain a date in either / or both of two cells. Same cells in each workbook. Does anyone know if this is possible and is so how you do it? Looking to have either the workbook highlighted or a frontend spreadsheet that tells me which workbook to look at. This could be either by providing the workbook name or information contained within a third cell of the original workbooks. Pulling my hair out, so all help appreciated. Mike, in the workbooks...

Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service/memory hog
As of recent my computer has been real sluggish, so I opened up task manager and found that Windows Media Player network sharing was the source of my problem. It is using over 50% of my 3 gigs of memory. I just recently installed Windows 7 and don't recall this being a problem in the past. I have media player setup to share all of my media over my network, but none of my other devices are on. Is it unknowingly sharing media on a P2P basis? If so how can I correct this feature? Media player is literally crippling my computer with all of it's memory usage. ...

Inserting a worksheet from external workbook
Is it possible to insert a worksheet from an external workbook into my current workbook? This needs to end up as a regular sheet, not an embedded object. Thanks If you want to copy the sheet, first make a copy in the original workbook, then, on the copy, do a Replace All - replace all instances of = with some unlikely string such as #### . Then copy the sheet to your new workbook, rename it, then reverse the Replace All - replace all instances of #### with = - this ensures Excel doesn't try to reference the original workbook in your formulas. HTH Dan "Hall" <hall...

Unable to Open Shared Excel Workbook
I am not able to open a shared excel file on server. 2 other person are able to open it. It gives error message "'<File name>' could not be found. Check the spelling of the file name, and verify that the file location is correct. If you are trying to open the file from your list of most recently used files on the File menu, make sure that the file has not been renamed, moved, or deleted. ". Actually it gives the exact error message what is described in KB Q177248 More information section. It was showing white screen with hourglass. After unchecking 'Use DD...

I want to merge two workbooks but the option is greyed out. Why?
Any ideas? The Merge Workbooks option is made available when tour workbook is shared. Then you may merge the changes from one workbook into another workbook but both workbooks must meet the following requirements: Both workbooks must be copies of the same workbook. (extract from help file) BTW could you ask questions in the body of the message not in the subject line. "MOC" wrote: > Any ideas? > ...

120 small images making workbook 37mb!!
I have a workbook with 4 sheets, 3 sheets just have some organagram that dont take up much space. the 4th sheet has about 120 smal pictures on it, of maybe 100x90 pixels each, and taking up betwen 30 and 50k each. At worst this should equate to maybe a 6mb workbook a 45kx120 + the organagrams which are just using cells not diagrams. So how comes its 37mb!!! I have compressed the pictures (hence they are only between 30k and 45 each!) so it shouldnt be anything to do with that. It IS the images because deleting them all reduces the workbook size t 300k !!! any ideas how to fix it -- Mess...

Saving backup workbooks
How do you set excel 2000 to automatically save a backup workbook file when you save a workbook? File>save as, tools and general options, check always create backup -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Matt Edwards" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:052d01c3a801$24da0f10$a501280a@phx.gbl... > How do you set excel 2000 to automatically save a backup > workbook file when you save a workbook? Here is one I use to save to the same name in any directory\backup Sub Backup() 'kept in personal.xls & assigned to toolbar button On Error GoTo Back...

Macro errors when Excel workbook opened from a web page

Reference & update destin. cells on 1st machine from source workbook on 2nd machine
Hi, I have a question about linking and updating cells referencing another workbook on another machine on a home network. I have a workbook opened on machine A on my home network. On a second machine B located on the same network, I have a second workbook opened and on this workbook B I want a range of cells to reference a range in workbook A and update in real time (if it is possible in this case). I have formatted the destination each destination cell on machine B using the formula ='\\SourceMachineA\directory:\[WorkbookA.xls]Sheet1'!A25 When I enter the formula I get prompted wit...

Minimizing the memory requirements
Hello All This messag is a off - technology query. I have a strange problem where in I receive a large strings of 10KB each. Right now there can b 8 such strings and in future the number may rise. The string is containing of 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, ., @ This way each string contains 10,000 bytes representing above characters in "RANDOM" sequence. Is there anyway that I can reduce the number of bytes required? One way is replace . with 10 and @ with 11 and then consider only last 4 bits of every byte. This way I can reduce the memory requirement by half. But is there any...

Memory Leaks
1. How do you test (and discover) memory leaks in your app? 2. Does when you close your app (.exe) or unload (FreeLibrary()) your dll all memory allocated by those binaries free (by windows)? 1. You can use CMemoryState class to find leaks in your program and it needs a bit of programming from our side. Or you can use tools like boundschecker or purify. These tools will find out leaks when you program runs. 2. And yes, OS will free all resources used by an app after its termination (I can say that for Windows 2000). - Parhar "Jan Plastenjak" <none@ms.com> wrote in me...

How to make a macro present in all workbooks?
Hi, does anybody know how can I make a new macro just recorded appear i all workbooks ? I tried creating a template called Book.xlt in the proper directory an then I recorded the macro in that file, i saved as a template but i didn't work .. -- kayar ----------------------------------------------------------------------- kayard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2471 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=52501 Instead of putting the code in every workbook, you may find it easier to create a workbook that stores ...

Recover lost excel tabs/spreadsheets from workbook
Have an excel workbook with multiple spreadsheets. For reasons unknown all the tabs have disappeared from the workbook except for one. I know they are still in the workbook, however, because the document size has not changed. Somehow, the tabs containing the balance of my spreadsheets in this workbook are just not displayed. How can these lost tabs be recovered? First, can you see any of the worksheet tabs? If yes, are you sure you haven't scrolled too far in one direction to see the others? Maybe using the VCR/DVR controls to the left of the sheettabs will allow y...

unusually large amount not accepted
I ran into what appear to be a bug in Money 2002. I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this problem. I entered a new recurring bill (under Biils & Deposits) with an estimated amount of X. I then went to pay the bill online and changed the amount for this payment to about 1.4*X (which was a 5 digit number of $). When I went to submit the payment, I got a dialog box saying that the amount was unusually large; did I want to continue. When I clicked 'yes', it simply returned me to the payment form. I could not get it to pay the bill for the desired amount from the Bills ...

Converting rows to columns on a large scale #2
I have a workbook of names and addresses. All information is in column A... John Doe 111 5th st. New York, NY Joe Smith 1st St. E Chicago, IL etc. I want to convert this entire workbook to column form as follows, John Doe 111 5th St New York, NY Joe Smith 1st St. E Chicago, IL Is there a way for me to do this without using "Paste Special" and "Transpose" for each individual entry.....or tediously moving each entry one by one? bootsy If the layout is always 3 rows per address, y...

Memory Leaks when terminating a an SDI App
Hi all, Could anyone tell me the best way of terminating an SDI App from CMyView::OnInitialUpdate (eg. on an critical error condition)? I'm guessing its dangerous to use PostQuitMessage(0) from OnInitialUpdate since I get memory leaks from the overridden "new" operator in CObject for both my document and its view. My theroy was that its because the underlying CObject created when IMPLEMENT_DYNCREATE (...) is called is not being destroyed properly when the WM_QUIT message is processed. But I don't know how to get round it? If there's a better way? or even if I should b...

Error
I have an 8 page file that includes a WMF file that's 21megs. Publisher will not save the file and produces the following error: " This publication contains a picture that is too large to be saved in earlier versions of Publisher. This picture will be saved as an empty picture frame when Publisher saves the file in an earlier version. " I have saved the file as a jpg, when printing it gets distorted, tried as a pic file, still got the error message. Any help is greatly appreciated. Jp Prowell wrote: > I have an 8 page file that includes a WMF file that's > ...

Memory Allocation in a Multithreaded MFC Application
Hello I'm developing a relatively simple MFC application that also uses multithreading. In the program, only one thread besides the main thread gets created and used at a time. This worker thread essentially performs a lot of mathematical computations using matrices and these computations take a bit of time. I'm having a problem with my program now that is driving me crazy and I don't know what the source of the problem is. Inside of the thread, I allocate and deallocate memory in several places. At varying points in the routine, the program crashes during memory allocation...

Close a workbook
Hi When closing one workbook I want it to close another. I have tried Workbooks("C:XXX\BOOK1.XLS").Close SaveChanges:=False Which doesnt seem to work. Without making the other workbook active is there any other way to close it? Many thanks Simon Hi Simon "C:XXX\BOOK1.XLS" is probably not a valid path. Maybe you do not need a path. HTH. Best wishes Harald "Simon" <Simon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:71918F50-2338-44F8-9EAF-A0D7A4727B00@microsoft.com... > Hi > When closing one workbook I want it to close an...

Creating Generic Class To Handle Shared Memory
Hi, I wan to create Generic class to handle shared memory in win32. Like Create Shared memory, map/unmap objects to it, Mutex to synchronize among different clients (processes), implement Lock and Unlock functions to prevent simultaneous access by different processes. Can anyone please give me guidelines to create such class or set of all API functions required for it. if anyone have source code and want to share it i will be very thankful. Thanx in advance Akshay. This is actually very difficult, mostly because you have to write your own allocator for the actual shared memory. In general, ...