Need to expand past column IV

Hi,
Were using Excel 2003 and ran into the end of colums at IV. Besides
upgrading to Office 2007 is there way to extend or add-in more columns.

Thanks,
BobV
0
vinecom (2)
1/31/2008 7:25:00 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Bob,

No, but using all 256 columns is often a sign that you should use database data style entry -
instead of having a column for each of the ?days(?) enter the column property as a field, with each
entry in a separate row.  Beyond that, it is hard to be more specific since your question is vague.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Vinecom" <vinecom@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
> Were using Excel 2003 and ran into the end of colums at IV. Besides
> upgrading to Office 2007 is there way to extend or add-in more columns.
>

> Thanks,
> BobV

0
Bernie
1/31/2008 7:37:43 PM
Bernie,
I have a 2003 spreadsheet. My first column is A1....My last available column
is IV1.
Is there a way to add more columns in 2003?

BobV

"Bernie Deitrick" wrote:

> Bob,
>
> No, but using all 256 columns is often a sign that you should use database data style entry -
> instead of having a column for each of the ?days(?) enter the column property as a field, with each
> entry in a separate row.  Beyond that, it is hard to be more specific since your question is vague.
>
> HTH,
> Bernie
> MS Excel MVP
>

> "Vinecom" <vinecom@nospam.net> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > Were using Excel 2003 and ran into the end of colums at IV. Besides
> > upgrading to Office 2007 is there way to extend or add-in more columns.
> >

> > Thanks,
> > BobV

0
vinecom (2)
1/31/2008 7:48:00 PM
No. Versions of Excel prior to Excel 2007 have a limitation of 256 columns.
There is no way to expand that.

Tyro

> Bernie,
> I have a 2003 spreadsheet. My first column is A1....My last available
> column
> is IV1.
> Is there a way to add more columns in 2003?
>
> BobV

0
Tyro (331)
1/31/2008 8:25:22 PM
What part of Bernie's "No" did you miss?

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 11:48:00 -0800, Vinecom <vinecom@nospam.net> wrote:

>Bernie,
>I have a 2003 spreadsheet. My first column is A1....My last available column
>is IV1.
>Is there a way to add more columns in 2003?
>
>BobV
>
>"Bernie Deitrick" wrote:
>
>> Bob,
>>
>> No, but using all 256 columns is often a sign that you should use database data style entry -
>> instead of having a column for each of the ?days(?) enter the column property as a field, with each
>> entry in a separate row.  Beyond that, it is hard to be more specific since your question is vague.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Bernie
>> MS Excel MVP
>>

>> "Vinecom" <vinecom@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> > Were using Excel 2003 and ran into the end of colums at IV. Besides
>> > upgrading to Office 2007 is there way to extend or add-in more columns.
>> >

>> > Thanks,
>> > BobV

0
Gord
1/31/2008 8:38:45 PM
<There is no way to expand that.>

Not in the same sheet, that is.
You can of course use a second sheet. But it will be difficult to keep the rows together correctly.

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Tyro" <Tyro@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:U8qoj.6712$Rg1.4090@nlpi068.nbdc.sbc.com...
| No. Versions of Excel prior to Excel 2007 have a limitation of 256 columns.
| There is no way to expand that.
|
| Tyro
|
| "Vinecom" <vinecom@nospam.net> wrote in message
| > Bernie,
| > I have a 2003 spreadsheet. My first column is A1....My last available
| > column
| > is IV1.
| > Is there a way to add more columns in 2003?
| >
| > BobV

0
nicolaus (2022)
1/31/2008 8:42:10 PM
I wouldn't even contemplate that.

Tyro

"Niek Otten" <nicolaus@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> <There is no way to expand that.>
>
> Not in the same sheet, that is.
> You can of course use a second sheet. But it will be difficult to keep the
> rows together correctly.
>
> --
> Kind regards,
>
> Niek Otten
> Microsoft MVP - Excel
>
> "Tyro" <Tyro@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> | No. Versions of Excel prior to Excel 2007 have a limitation of 256
> columns.
> | There is no way to expand that.
> |
> | Tyro
> |
> | "Vinecom" <vinecom@nospam.net> wrote in message
> | > Bernie,
> | > I have a 2003 spreadsheet. My first column is A1....My last available
> | > column
> | > is IV1.
> | > Is there a way to add more columns in 2003?
> | >
> | > BobV

0
Tyro (331)
2/1/2008 4:24:23 AM
Vinecom wrote:
> Bernie,
> I have a 2003 spreadsheet. My first column is A1....My last available column
> is IV1.
> Is there a way to add more columns in 2003?
>
> BobV

Those are full cell addresses. Your first column is A. Your last column
is IV. The 1 is the row number.

The answer is No. Change to Quattro Pro or Excel 2007 or perhaps use a
database program instead. What kind of a spreadsheet really needs 256
columns?

Bill
0
wfsnopam (66)
2/20/2008 1:10:52 AM
On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 at 17:10:52, Bill Sharpe <wfsnopam@adelphia.net>
wrote in microsoft.public.excel :

>Vinecom wrote:
>> Bernie,
>> I have a 2003 spreadsheet. My first column is A1....My last available
>>column  is IV1.
>> Is there a way to add more columns in 2003?
>>  BobV
>Those are full cell addresses. Your first column is A. Your last column
>is IV. The 1 is the row number.
>
>The answer is No. Change to Quattro Pro or Excel 2007 or perhaps use a
>database program instead. What kind of a spreadsheet really needs 256
>columns?

Some of mine would benefit from more than that - but from what I've
heard Excel 2007 is a PITA.
--
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham (change 'invalid83261' to 'blueyonder' to email me)
0

>The answer is No. Change to Quattro Pro or Excel 2007 or perhaps use a
>database program instead. What kind of a spreadsheet really needs 256
>columns?

The problem that I'm facing now is that the VB application that I originally
wrote for Excel using 50 columns has expanded to 1715 rows/230 columns; it is
a matrix to define what layers/datatype are to be defined in a process
technology.  Obviously, I would prefer not to sink an add'l month(s) of
development time creating the same application inside a different tool that
has > 256 columns; Excel has worked fine so there is no need to change unless
Excel doesn't support it.

Instead of questioning a user's methodology, perhaps you should simply
answer the question yes/no and/or provide a workaround if one exists... there
could possibly be a good reason why people push Excel to the limit (because
there is a limit).

-Andrew

"Bill Sharpe" wrote:

> Vinecom wrote:
> > Bernie,
> > I have a 2003 spreadsheet. My first column is A1....My last available column
> > is IV1.
> > Is there a way to add more columns in 2003?
> >
> > BobV
> >
> Those are full cell addresses. Your first column is A. Your last column
> is IV. The 1 is the row number.
>
> The answer is No. Change to Quattro Pro or Excel 2007 or perhaps use a
> database program instead. What kind of a spreadsheet really needs 256
> columns?
>
> Bill

0
Dearborn (1)
12/13/2008 12:35:00 AM
On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 16:35:00 -0800, Andrew Dearborn <Andrew
Dearborn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Bill,
>
>>The answer is No. Change to Quattro Pro or Excel 2007 or perhaps use a
>>database program instead. What kind of a spreadsheet really needs 256
>>columns?
>
>The problem that I'm facing now is that the VB application that I originally
>wrote for Excel using 50 columns has expanded to 1715 rows/230 columns; it is
>a matrix to define what layers/datatype are to be defined in a process
>technology.  Obviously, I would prefer not to sink an add'l month(s) of
>development time creating the same application inside a different tool that
>has > 256 columns; Excel has worked fine so there is no need to change unless
>Excel doesn't support it.
>
>Instead of questioning a user's methodology, perhaps you should simply
>answer the question yes/no and/or provide a workaround if one exists... there
>could possibly be a good reason why people push Excel to the limit (because
>there is a limit).
>
>-Andrew

Andrew,

As Bill wrote, "The answer is No."

Changing to Excel 2007 will increase the number of columns and rows and may not
require you to modify your VBA application at all.
--ron
0
ronrosenfeld (3122)

Column Reference to External Source As a Variable
Can anyone help me convert the column referenced in the formula below into a variable that the user can define? More specifically, I have several columns that I need to read from an external workbook (Short_Billy.xls). Each column to the right of column C represents an additional day out in a 14 day projection from today (whose data is held in column C). In cell I5 of my active workbook (Inventory.xls), I would like the user to be able to enter a value representing the number of days out they would like to see the projection for (0=today=Column C, 1=Tomorrow=Column D, etc.). In cell I6, I...

Column Headings #11
Can you add seperate column headings (A, B, C, ...) into one spreadsheet? I'm attempting to alter the column sizes half-way through the spreadsheet w/out affecting the upper column sizes... Coolumn width belongs to the entire column and cannot be altered in separate sections of that column. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 15:51:01 -0800, spencer4hire <spencer4hire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Can you add seperate column headings (A, B, C, ...) into one spreadsheet? >I'm attempting to alter the column sizes half-way through the spreadsheet >w/ou...

Text to columns

Need to import EDI file
Hello. I have an EDI TS-130 file (academic transcript) that I would like to import into Access 2003. Is this possible to do for free? If so, how? ...

You wont believe this! SERVER DOWN
I was helping the operations/it director to get RPC over HTTP going on their exchange server for a company I use to be the sys admin for. The ops/it director was doing the add/remove programs portion to add rpc over http there, somehow in the process of doing this he managed to uninstall IIS -or- just NNTP and SMTP (I can't figure out which and he claims he did neither). Long story short, I've reinstalled NNTP and SMTP, reconfigured SMTP to the best recollection I have of the previous config and the server still refuses to send/receive email, even internally. All services are s...

need custom cut and paste functions
Hello, I once wrote here about a problem I had cutting and pasting where columns would turn to "REF!" after a cut and paste. I would work around it by copying, pasting and then manually deleting instead. I thought turning everything in the sheet to absolute references would solve the problem but it didn't so now I am thinking of a different solution. Could someone tell me what I need to do to write my own cut and paste functions which would basically copy the selection and then on a paste it would paste and then delete the original selection from where it was copied from...

Need Syntax for "AND" to Evaluate 2 Cells
I need to evaluate 2 cells while inside an "Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)". I thought AND would work but I cannot get it to work; I receive a syntax error on the AND(Range... line. Can someone please provide me the proper syntax to evaluate the 2 cells? Here's my code... Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) If ActiveSheet.Name = "Sheet1" Then And(Range("I3") <> "", Range("K4") = "") Then Range("K4") = Range("K3") End...

copy-paste from excel to powerpoint
Office 97 When I copy a number of cells from Excel to powerpoint, I can't get rid of the grid lines. There are no borders. When I'm in Excel, I see the faint grid lines as you normally would. Unfortunately, these lines also display in powerpoint. How do I stop that behaviour. Thanks so much for any help. Diana Select all the cells you are copying. Then: Format > Cells... > Patterns Then select white color ( bottom right) When the backgound color is set the gridlines vanish unless borders are turned on -- Gary''s Student "Cowtoon" wrote: > Off...

Excel 2003 Copy/Paste filtered column
I have a filtered column on my spreadsheet. I have copied the column, changed the figures and then tried to paste it back on to the filtered column. It is not copying over the original filtered column but rather over cells that have been filtered out. The worksheet/cells are not protected. What could the problem be? Kind Regards Heather That's the way pasting works. It'll hit the visible and hidden cells. Heather wrote: > > I have a filtered column on my spreadsheet. I have copied the column, > changed the figures and then tried to paste it back on to the filter...

how to automatically suppress space before after column break?
Having Spacing Before and After on some of the styles, I seem to be unable to have the space before at the beginning of a column automatically dismissed when applying a column break. I have tried a couple of options under compatibility, but to no avail. This in on Word 2003. The No HTML function + No Space Before after column break do not solve the problem. Can you help please? Tools | Options | Compatibility: Suppress Space Before after a hard page or column break. If this isn't working, then check to make sure you don't have an empty paragraph before the first text pa...

matching columns of numbers

I need help restoring Public Folders
Hi I've been having issues getting Public Folder replication going between 2 Exchange 2003 servers. Prior to doing any work I performed a Backup using Veritas Backup Exec and this completed and verified correctly. I screwed things up and managed to delete some of the public folders on my original server. I'm not 100% sure what I did but it is a mess and the only backup I have is the Exchange backup I created before doing any work. The public folders contain a number of Contact Lists and a very important Event Calendar. I have restored the public folders but when the restore c...

Mailbox needs reducing
We have this mailbox that has been left for months and with no limits, it's now 11GB!! Ho can I trim in down, I don't really want to go into the mailbox and do it, can Exchange do it? In news:euNRN1iPHHA.404@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl, Gonzo <no@no.com> typed: > We have this mailbox that has been left for months and with no > limits, it's now 11GB!! > > Ho can I trim in down, I don't really want to go into the mailbox and > do it, can Exchange do it? Presuming you're not on 5x or earlier, you can use mailbox management policies to get rid of items ol...

Need help on a formula 05-20-10

Count the text in a column
I would like to count the text in a column then for it to add a figure in another cell if it meets the text criteria Thanks! Do you mean count the characters? If so =SUM(NOT(ISNUMBER(A1:A20))*LEN(A1:A20)) as an array formula (committed with Ctrl-Shift-Enter) -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Peter Curtis" <PeterCurtis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:94C093C4-38DC-4989-846A-9352F3298B7C@microsoft.com... > I would like to count the text in a column then for it to add a figure in > another cell if it meets the t...

Need to retrieve a deleted Excel File
On Saturday I hide an excel sheet and then protected the workbook. When I got into work today to open the file it was non-existent. What do I have to do to retrieve the file? Does it make a difference if the file extension ended with .csv? Thanks in advance! Search in Windows to make sure it's still on your compute -or go to the folder the file is in and look to make sure it's still ther -or If you didn't do this, you might need to to text, which includes *.cs Excel is not set to open this type of file by defaul tj Did you (try to) open the file with Excel. If so : did ...

forms and column lengths
Is there a way to have excel do an auto "carriage return" to the next row when you have reached the specified maximum number of characters in the row above?? Hi there's n o bulit-in feature for this -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Blair" <Blair@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:C1D2CAAD-C4E9-492A-ADF4-CBDB659514A3@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to have excel do an auto "carriage return" to the next row > when you have reached the specified maximum number of characters in the > row > above?? ...

ebay - ereseller stook my money
a terrible thing happenned to me on ebay. i am a disabled woman in and eresellers took my money and never sent my washer. his email address is david@tropivision.com. anything that you can do to help would be nice. ebay is doing nothing. i can give a reward This group is for discussing the Microsoft Money computer program. Does it really sound like an eBay buyer complaint forum? Do a google search on ebay and you will find a couple of groups, one of which may reply to your problem. That ebay seller has been selling on ebay for over 5 years. arthur -- On 1 Jun 2004 13:50:08 -0700, (An...

need some XL URL's please
I would appreciate some good site links for XL how to's and working examples aimed at Novice - Intermediate. Many thanks, Steve Hi Steven: See: Dave McRitchie: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Go to the heading: Excel Lessons & Tutorials (#tutorials) It's just after halfway down. -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au It is imperative that the patches provided by Microsoft in its April Security Release be applied to Systems as soon as possible. It is believed that the likelihood of a worm being released SOON that ...

Need Help With GP Item Pricing
GP ITEM PRICING I need to use “Bucket Pricing” for items in GP. For example below is the pricing schedule that I need to use. First 20 …………….$ 1.75 Next 280 ……………… 1.36 Next 700 ……………… 1.23 Next 2,000 ……………… 1.09 Over 3,000 ……………… .82 So if I had a Qty. of 350 it would be as follows 20 * 1.75 = 35 280 * 1.36 = 380.80 50 * 1.23 = 61.50 Total : $477.30 In GP I can only set it up to do a “Quantity Range” in the Item Price List Maintenance window. Problem is if I set it up that way and enter a quantity of 350 it will default to the $1.23 ...

I need to round up to the nearest 50.
I am trying to calculate the number of raw material bags I need in a batch. If I use the mround function is will round down. Is there a way to only round up? =ROUNDUP(A21/50,0)*50 or =CEILING(A21,50) -- HTH Bob Phillips "karenm" <karenm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DBE54F5E-0524-4DFF-BC52-D966BBEE26E9@microsoft.com... > I am trying to calculate the number of raw material bags I need in a batch. > If I use the mround function is will round down. Is there a way to only > round up? > Hi karenm, First of all, I believe MROUND rounds...