Need help removing characters in multiple cells

I have an excel 2007 sheet that has over 300 cells in a column that have a
name of a store plus a number between paranethesis. Is there a one step way
I can remove the paranethesis?  Here is an example:

K-Mart (ABC#73846365)

and I want to have just the following

K-Mart

Each cell has a different store name and set of numbers within the
paranethesis.

Thanks

0
zeus661 (28)
7/12/2008 7:26:38 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Select the range to fix.
Edit|replace
what:  _(*         (spacebar, open paren, asterisk)
with: (leave blank)
replace all

It looked like you'd want to remove the space character after the t in k-mart.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Then Next.

Select right-hand column and "Do not import (skip)" and Finish

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 15:26:38 -0400, "<----- Mardman ----->" <zeus661@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I have an excel 2007 sheet that has over 300 cells in a column that have a
>name of a store plus a number between paranethesis. Is there a one step way
>I can remove the paranethesis?  Here is an example:
>
>K-Mart (ABC#73846365)
>
>and I want to have just the following
>
>K-Mart
>
>Each cell has a different store name and set of numbers within the
>paranethesis.
>
>Thanks

0
Gord
7/12/2008 7:48:31 PM
Do Edit - Replace
In what to find, type "(*)" without the quotes.
In the Replace with area, leave it blank.
Click OK.  HTH  Otto
"<----- Mardman ----->" <zeus661@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have an excel 2007 sheet that has over 300 cells in a column that have a
>name of a store plus a number between paranethesis. Is there a one step way
>I can remove the paranethesis?  Here is an example:
>
> K-Mart (ABC#73846365)
>
> and I want to have just the following
>
> K-Mart
>
> Each cell has a different store name and set of numbers within the
> paranethesis.
>
> Thanks

Bonsoir, Mardman.

K-Mart (ABC#73846365) in A1
try
=LEFT(A1;FIND("(";A1)-2)

Cordialement,

Patrick.

"<----- Mardman ----->" <zeus661@yahoo.com> a �crit dans le message de
>I have an excel 2007 sheet that has over 300 cells in a column that have a
>name of a store plus a number between paranethesis. Is there a one step way
>I can remove the paranethesis?  Here is an example:
>
> K-Mart (ABC#73846365)
>
> and I want to have just the following
>
> K-Mart
>
> Each cell has a different store name and set of numbers within the
> paranethesis.
>
> Thanks

And one more possible solution...

=LEFT(C1,FIND(" ",C1)-1)

HTH
Regards,
Howard

"<----- Mardman ----->" <zeus661@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have an excel 2007 sheet that has over 300 cells in a column that have a
>name of a store plus a number between paranethesis. Is there a one step way
>I can remove the paranethesis?  Here is an example:
>
> K-Mart (ABC#73846365)
>
> and I want to have just the following
>
> K-Mart
>
> Each cell has a different store name and set of numbers within the
> paranethesis.
>
> Thanks

0
lhkittle (223)
7/12/2008 11:20:05 PM
What do you get for this?

Best Buy (BB#123456)

Rick

"L. Howard Kittle" <lhkittle@comcast.net> wrote in message
> And one more possible solution...
>
> =LEFT(C1,FIND(" ",C1)-1)
>
> HTH
> Regards,
> Howard
>
> "<----- Mardman ----->" <zeus661@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I have an excel 2007 sheet that has over 300 cells in a column that have a
>>name of a store plus a number between paranethesis. Is there a one step
>>way I can remove the paranethesis?  Here is an example:
>>
>> K-Mart (ABC#73846365)
>>
>> and I want to have just the following
>>
>> K-Mart
>>
>> Each cell has a different store name and set of numbers within the
>> paranethesis.
>>
>> Thanks

#Value

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" <rick.newsNO.SPAM@NO.SPAMverizon.net> wrote in
message news:OG1BBGK5IHA.776@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> What do you get for this?
>
> Best Buy (BB#123456)
>
> Rick
>

> "L. Howard Kittle" <lhkittle@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> And one more possible solution...
>>
>> =LEFT(C1,FIND(" ",C1)-1)
>>
>> HTH
>> Regards,
>> Howard
>>
>> "<----- Mardman ----->" <zeus661@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>I have an excel 2007 sheet that has over 300 cells in a column that have
>>>a name of a store plus a number between paranethesis. Is there a one step
>>>way I can remove the paranethesis?  Here is an example:
>>>
>>> K-Mart (ABC#73846365)
>>>
>>> and I want to have just the following
>>>
>>> K-Mart
>>>
>>> Each cell has a different store name and set of numbers within the
>>> paranethesis.
>>>
>>> Thanks

0
lhkittle (223)
7/13/2008 11:07:45 PM
You get #Value!??? Really? Did you put the text string...

Best Buy (BB#123456)

in C1? You should get "Best" as a result. The point of my post was that you
solution returned an incorrect result if the store name had one or more
spaces in it.

> #Value
>
> "Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" <rick.newsNO.SPAM@NO.SPAMverizon.net> wrote in
> message news:OG1BBGK5IHA.776@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> What do you get for this?
>>
>> Best Buy (BB#123456)
>>
>> Rick
>>

>> "L. Howard Kittle" <lhkittle@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> And one more possible solution...
>>>
>>> =LEFT(C1,FIND(" ",C1)-1)
>>>
>>> HTH
>>> Regards,
>>> Howard
>>>
>>> "<----- Mardman ----->" <zeus661@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I assumed no additional spaces in my solution.  Not sure why I did not get
"Best" when I tested your correction...?  I will check it out.

Of course I always defer to the pro's in Excel and I often don't see the
entire scope of the problem.  Sorry.

Regards,
Howard

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" <rick.newsNO.SPAM@NO.SPAMverizon.net> wrote in
message news:uLlb9LU5IHA.3420@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> You get #Value!??? Really? Did you put the text string...
>
> Best Buy (BB#123456)
>
> in C1? You should get "Best" as a result. The point of my post was that
> you solution returned an incorrect result if the store name had one or
> more spaces in it.
>
> Rick
>

> "L. Howard Kittle" <lhkittle@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> #Value
>>
>> "Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" <rick.newsNO.SPAM@NO.SPAMverizon.net> wrote
>> in message news:OG1BBGK5IHA.776@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>> What do you get for this?
>>>
>>> Best Buy (BB#123456)
>>>
>>> Rick
>>>

>>> "L. Howard Kittle" <lhkittle@comcast.net> wrote in message

0
lhkittle (223)
7/14/2008 1:13:05 AM
No problem, just trying to point out the problems so the next time they
comes up you will be aware of them... this is how we all learned (and are
still learning I might add; I don't think anyone here knows everything; even
the "pros", as you call them, still manage to learn something new from each
other every now and then).

>I assumed no additional spaces in my solution.  Not sure why I did not get
>"Best" when I tested your correction...?  I will check it out.
>
> Of course I always defer to the pro's in Excel and I often don't see the
> entire scope of the problem.  Sorry.
>
> Regards,
> Howard
>
> "Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" <rick.newsNO.SPAM@NO.SPAMverizon.net> wrote in
> message news:uLlb9LU5IHA.3420@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> You get #Value!??? Really? Did you put the text string...
>>
>> Best Buy (BB#123456)
>>
>> in C1? You should get "Best" as a result. The point of my post was that
>> you solution returned an incorrect result if the store name had one or
>> more spaces in it.
>>
>> Rick
>>

>> "L. Howard Kittle" <lhkittle@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> #Value
>>>
>>> "Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" <rick.newsNO.SPAM@NO.SPAMverizon.net> wrote
>>> in message news:OG1BBGK5IHA.776@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...

Got it, and thanks.

Regards
Howard

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" <rick.newsNO.SPAM@NO.SPAMverizon.net> wrote in
message news:eFk2fJV5IHA.2336@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> No problem, just trying to point out the problems so the next time they
> comes up you will be aware of them... this is how we all learned (and are
> still learning I might add; I don't think anyone here knows everything;
> even the "pros", as you call them, still manage to learn something new
> from each other every now and then).
>
> Rick
>

> "L. Howard Kittle" <lhkittle@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>I assumed no additional spaces in my solution.  Not sure why I did not get
>>"Best" when I tested your correction...?  I will check it out.
>>
>> Of course I always defer to the pro's in Excel and I often don't see the
>> entire scope of the problem.  Sorry.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Howard
>>
>> "Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" <rick.newsNO.SPAM@NO.SPAMverizon.net> wrote
>> in message news:uLlb9LU5IHA.3420@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>> You get #Value!??? Really? Did you put the text string...
>>>
>>> Best Buy (BB#123456)
>>>
>>> in C1? You should get "Best" as a result. The point of my post was that
>>> you solution returned an incorrect result if the store name had one or
>>> more spaces in it.
>>>
>>> Rick
>>>

>>> "L. Howard Kittle" <lhkittle@comcast.net> wrote in message

0
lhkittle (223)

Need help to read Pie Chart Series Range
Excel 2003, I have an existing Pie Chart and want to extract the Ranges (cells) used. My code below returns with a "Type mismatch" error. Sub GetPieChartSeries() Dim mySeries As Series ActiveSheet.ChartObjects(1).Activate Set mySeries = ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1) Debug.Print mySeries.XValues (errors here) Debug.Print mySeries.Values End Sub Thanks, - Pat ...

need Help for Migration Exchange 5.5
Hello NG, we`ve the following Configuration : - Exchange 5.5 with SP4 - single Winwos 2000 DC - configured both side ADC a new Hardware should be used for an Exchange 2003 and second DC. next steps i would do as following : - Update ADC Version with Exchange 2003 ADC - running Exchange 2003 forestprep, then domainprep, an after all running setup to install Exchange 2003 in the same organization, site - replicate system Folders and public Folders - moving all Mailboxes to the Exchange 2003 Store - configure the Exchange 2003 virtual SMTP Server to send outgoing Mail - reconfigure the F...

Switching between multiple open windows
I ran across an option to change how to switch between multiple open windows on my desktop. It was an option to choose between hovering over a window or clicking on it. Thinking that only having to hover over a window to switch to it would save time, I selecting the option to hover... big mistake as it just became a big pain in the a_ _ for me. Now I would like to change back to one-clicking to change between viewed windows but can't remember or find where the option is located. Any help will be appreciated. -- rushl On 2/03/10, rushl posted: > I ran across an opti...

Word Doc Macro help needed please!
I need to make a mocro that will work in a word doc. This macro would start with [000001] and count up one number each paragraph. For example paragraph two would auto show [000002] and so on. Any help would be GREAT! I have a word file which contains 100 pages. All the pages have name & address of companies.(not in table) i have to transfer them to excel in column format(for example first name, last name, address, phone etc) can any one tell me code for this( i know how to open word & creat new excel sheet) . I need code for how to reach to lines of word. r there any thing like &quo...

Do I need a licence to distribute MSFLXGRD.OCX?
I wish to use the MS FlexGrid control in my Access database. Do I need a licence to distribute MSFLXGRD.OCX? Pual Paul H wrote: > I wish to use the MS FlexGrid control in my Access database. > > Do I need a licence to distribute MSFLXGRD.OCX? If you also use a VB application, the answer is no. But you will need to build and deploy a VB application to distribute and register the OCX. You cannot distribute it with an Office application alone. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com "Arvin Meyer [MVP]"...

autofit: cell height expands with text entered?
For a form: can a user enter mass quantities of text in a cell and have the cell depth expand so it fits? does Merging Cells limit this ability? I made a giant cell to handle the text the user might enter. I can't figure out where to set this... I have copied & pasted formatting from one worksheet to another without luck. Thanks. Sandy Merged cells don't adjust rowheight for wrapped text (like non-merged cells do). Jim Rech wrote a macro called AutoFitMergedCellRowHeight that you may like: http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=e1%241uzL1BHA.1784%40tkmsftngp05 Sandy wrote:...

Printing changes layout
I am printing a booklet on Pub 2002 - when I print one page, it prints a page where everything has changed - resized, cut off the edges, etc. The worst part - when done printing, it goes back to normal view and it actually changes my layout to match what is printed - permanently. Any ideas what is going on? I printed on both my Lexmark and HP printers, does the same thing. I have Windows XP. Help! Thanks! Look at your page layout, has it changed? I know this will happen to me occasionally when I change printers. If I change back to the original printer the publication will revert...

Go To the next empty cell in Column A
Using Vista and Excel 2007, I will be constructing a mailing list with 10 columns. In the first empty row of column A will be added a new name for the list. With 10 columns it is not possible to view Column A from Column L on screen. With hundreds of names to add to the list, I need a fast way to go to the next empty cell in column A to add the next name.. I am familiar with tables in Access where there is an icon that will take me to the next empty cell in column A. Is there a similar one stroke command to take me to the next empty cell in column A from anywhere in an Excel ...

User defined functions aware of what cell they are placed in?
Hi, I would like to make a user defined function which needs to know in what cell and what worksheet it is placed in. I will be using this UDF in multiple cells on multiple worksheets. I originally just passed the cell row and column as parameters to the UDF however this ended up updating all worksheets and not just the one the UDF was on. Is there any way to do this? Option Explicit function myfunct(something as somethingelse) as something msgbox application.caller.address & vblf _ & application.caller.parent.name & vblf _ & application.caller.pare...

copy date in a cell if within a date range
Column M is a listing of percentages Column A is various dates, anywhere from Jan 1, 1998 to the present. I need to copy the contents of let's say M3 into cell T3 is the date in cell A3 is any date in the year 2010. If the date is in another year, leave cell T3 blank Thanks "carrerapaolo" wrote: > Column M is a listing of percentages > > Column A is various dates, anywhere from Jan 1, 1998 to the present. > > I need to copy the contents of let's say M3 into cell T3 is the date in cell > A3 is any date in the year 2010. If the ...

Excel-Multiple Cells Being Hi-lited
Sometimes when I'm setting up a worksheet and I left-click in a cell, multiple cells in the same column are hi-lited. After it happens the first time, it continues as I move through the worksheet, reducing my ability to get work done considerably. After some trial and error, it seems to occur when I've been adding and/or deleting columns and/or rows, after a header has been installed. I can move throughout the worksheet using the arrow keys, but it is a time consuming and cumbersome technique. I think the version I'm using is Office Professional 2007 (file extensi...

Help With Sorting #3
Gudday to all XL gurus. I need some help on using the SORT function. I have a list of 100 competitors in a scoring spreadsheet that I hav written. I was trying to sort by surname (a-z). The problem is that this list i generated elsewhere and contains VLOOKUP functions. Obviously if i hav less than 100 competitors I end up with some cells appear blank bu contain VLOOKUP functions. XL sorts them first and I want them sorte last after the surnames (a-z). I cant add a helper column as this lis relates to over 48,000 forumulaes and functions that are already added If I add a helper column I have...

Exchange 5.5, Outlook 2003 and Czech characters
We are using the following configuration: - Windows XP English - Outlook 2003 English + MUI for French, Spanish, Italian, German - Exchange 5.5. We encounter some problem with Czech characters. When contacts are stored in the mailbox in Exchange 5.5, some czech characters are replaced in contact name, company, .... When we stored the same contact in a pst file, evrything works fine. The characters are not replaced. Have somebody an idea or a solution for me? ...

Need help converting Microsoft Outlook calendar to Entourage.... At wits' end here! Please advise...
I have a Mac at work which runs Microsoft Outlook 2001 client on an Exchange server. I have a calendar on this machine (stored locally, not on the server) which has a ton of reminders programmed into it - very useful! Now, at home I got a new Mac laptop with Entourage X. Is there any way to move all of the reminders (appointments) from my calendar on Outlook to my Entourage calendar? I've tried two things: 1) I exported the calendar info as a CSV text file, and then tried importing it in Entourage. The problem is that Entourage import function seems to think it's importing an Address...

Go To an address specfied in a cell
Hello Folks, Does anyone know how I can move the cursor to a cell, the address of which is specified in another cell? Here is the scenario. I enter a list of hours worked in a specfic week on a data entry sheet. I hit a button and the values are copied to a data summary sheet, the position depends on the Week No., the first cell is specfied as the address "Data!29" for Week 5. I reckon I can handle a recorded macro to copy and paste the data but how do I locate the correct start cell? I have tried copying and pasting into the GoTo box but that doesn't work. Data!J29 Wee...

CtreeCtrl multiple selection
Hi, Is there any simple way (samples) to set a CTreeCtrl has multiple selection feature? Thanks, Chi Try these: http://www.techsoft.no/bendik/ http://www.codeguru.com/Cpp/controls/treeview/misc-advanced/article.php/c723 http://www.codeguru.com/Cpp/controls/treeview/misc-advanced/article.php/c629 -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "Chi" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:21bd01c4aa63$2e355d70$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, > > Is there any simple way (samples) to set a CTreeCtrl has > multiple selection feature? Thanks, > &...

Old emails not displayed (Multiple PC's using same inbox)
I have 2 machines running XP and Outlook 2000. Both mahcines are setup to using the same Exchange Server email account. When i open outlook in one machine all mail are visable is the inbox, and new mail is received correctly. But if i opne Outlook on the second machine my inbox is empty. Any new mails will appear quickly then disappear. I cannot get the second machine to display old emails. If I leave the first machine off, all new mail will stay in the second machines inbox, but if I open outlook on the second machine all mail disappears and is shown in the first machines inbox. A...

I need a list of command line switches for Microsoft WORD.
I am using a Shell command to execute Microsoft WORD 2003. I need to halt execution of VBA code until WORD finishes it's task. Is there a command line switch for WORD to cause it to pause the VBA function until it is finished? Is there a VBA command to pause execution of code until WORD finishes? Thanks. I am pretty sure the answer to your specific question is "No". If you tell us exactly what you are doing, including from where the Shell command is being executed, maybe we can suggest another way that will overcome the problem. -- Hope this helps. Please r...

help with lookup formula (sheet 2, not a double post)
I need to make a formula using a lookup. The first spreadsheet is a inventory (ALO INVENTORY JP). The second (P&G 103) is a chart tha tells number of gallons of alcohol per foot/inch/fraction. On ALO INVENTORY JP I insert the # of feet, inches, and the fraction i cells R5 and T5. I want these numbers to lookup the number of gallon off of the P&G 103 worksheet. For example: P&G 103 (on inventory sheet) is 26ft 4 1/2 inches, i should look-up to be 34572 gal. for the 26'4" and 55 gal. for the 1/2" These two numbers should be added together and multiplied by the numbe ...

Help!! Way to find users sending email to large amount of receipients.
Could some one tell me if there is a way in Exchange 2003 to find out what users are sending email to a large amount of recipients? I'm having some serious performance issues and I'm sure it's some one sending email to a large amount of recipients. Thanks, Will ...

Help with displaying the contents of the last populate cell.
I have numerous sheets within a book where all cells in column C in all sheets have the following formula “=IF(ISBLANK(P4),"",(R3-P4))”. For you reference both columns P and R hold a monetary value and are formatted as Currency. Is there a way that cell D1 can automatically be populated with the contents of the last cell in column C that has a value in it. E.G. Sheet 1, cell C19 has a value of 200, therefore cell D1 should be 200. Sheet 2, cell C25 has a value of 250, therefore cell D1 should be 250. Sheet 3, cell C99 has a value of 900, therefore cell D1 should be 900. Any h...

Formula to process 3 cells using IF statements
I have 3 columns of experimental data (C:E). Row 30 contains the sums (C30:E30). I need a formula that will examine the three sums and return the column number that has the lowest sum. If more than one column is lowest, select one randomly. Example: C30 D30 E30 Result 10 11 12 1 (C) 22 20 21 2 (D) 32 31 30 3 (E) 40 41 40 Randomly select 1 or 3 51 50 50 Randomly select 2 or 3 60 60 60 Randonly select 1, 2, or 3 Can this be done with IF statements or do I need to write a macro? Well, this is a bit cumbersome, but it se...

Excel 97 Worksheet Protection and cell colour
Hi there, One of our users has setup a worksheet will a small range of cells that are locked (they have formulas in them), he then protects the sheet. He then wants to change the colour of some of the other cells, these cells are not locked, but he cannot change the colour of the cells. Is there an obvious solution? Cheers, Andy Hi AFAIK you can't do this in Excel 97 without first removing the protection -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany andy wrote: > Hi there, > > One of our users has setup a worksheet will a small range of cells > that are locked (they h...

Help #15
I have a problem. I have a list of numbers that are in one column. Alot of numbers 8000 or so, and I need to find if there are an duplicates. I sort them so that they are in order, but having t scroll through the whole list takes alot of time and hurts my eyes!! I tried advanced filter but I can only find how to find duplicates in different columns. Someone help me please! ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ~~Now Available: Financial Statements.xls, a step...

Help on filter
HI, I have a list to filter. I have to keep only integers. I tried everything in advanced filters... does not work. Can you help me please? Thanks Sylvai -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi one way: use a helper column. Lets say your numbers are in column A then enter the following formula in an adjacent cell for row 2 =IF(MOD(A1,1)=0,"X","") copy this down for all rows. After this filter with this helper column -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > HI, > I have a list to filter. I have to keep only integers. > I tried everything in ...