need help deleting space in cell with data

I have pasted a 1000 dates in the format mm/yyyy

However, when pasted in, the dates all have a space at the end of the
last c
harachter.  I want to delete that space so Excel recognizes field as a
date.
The trim function seems to be only for text.  Can anyone provide a
solutio
n?  Any help would be great.
Thank you in advance.

--
andrewsolomon
andrewsolomon's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24050

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

There are a few approaches for this. Try this one

1)Format the cells as dates
Format>Cells>Category Date (select a date format)
2)Select the list of text-dates
3)Date>Text to Columns>Delimited.....[Next]
Uncheck all delimiters......[Finish]

Does that work for you?

Ron

--
Ron Coderre
Ron Coderre's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=21419

ron,
thanks so much for the message.  What do you mean by
3)Date>Text to Columns>Delimited.....[Next]
Uncheck all delimiters......[Finish]

Do I right click and see "Date".  I wasn't sure how exactly to select
Date.

--
andrewsolomon
andrewsolomon's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24050
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=376583

Sorry....Fat fingers... :eek:

Date  should be DATA (on the Excel main menu).

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Coderre
Ron Coderre's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=21419
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=376583

Sorry Ron.  I see you meant DATA.  I got it to work.  Thanks so much

--
andrewsolomo
andrewsolomon's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2405
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=37658

If it has a trailing space then it is text, I assume you tried it? If it
didn't work most likely you have html garbage.

=--TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(A1,CHAR(160),""))

--
Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

(No private emails please)

"andrewsolomon" <andrewsolomon.1q4jua_1117926301.1114@excelforum-nospam.com>
wrote in message

> I have pasted a 1000 dates in the format mm/yyyy
>
> However, when pasted in, the dates all have a space at the end of the
> last c
> harachter.  I want to delete that space so Excel recognizes field as a
> date.
> The trim function seems to be only for text.  Can anyone provide a
> solutio
> n?  Any help would be great.
> Thank you in advance.
>

> --
> andrewsolomon
> andrewsolomon's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24050
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=376583

0
terre081 (3244)

Unable to delete empty database

Need some advanced help on this one!
Hi guys, I found a sample Access program that takes data from its database to generate an EDI EDIFACT ORDERS file (OrdersS93a.edi). Here is the code: Private Sub Command0_Click() Dim oEdiDoc As Fredi.ediDocument Dim oSchema As Fredi.ediSchema Dim oInterchange As Fredi.ediInterchange Dim oGroup As Fredi.ediGroup Dim oTransactionset As Fredi.ediTransactionSet Dim oSegment As Fredi.ediDataSegment Dim oConn As ADODB.Connection Dim oRsInterchange As ADODB.Recordset Dim oRsGroup As ADODB.Recordset Dim oRsTransactionSet As ADODB.Reco...

Looking for Excel Help

New to excel

Using Relative path for XML data file?

Need Help, Task Start Date is wrong

data sort

I need a macro

Pulling data from separate tabs

default values in a cell

Please help #8

Cannot Delete Any Records
We're running CRM 3 Rollup v3 and we have recently found that we cannot delete any records in CRM. We recently migrated over to a Windows 2003 Enterprise install running SQL 2000 Enterprise. Everything else is working without issue for us. For example I am a Sys Admin, and I receive a generic SQL Server error when going to delete an activity? I know that in the past this was possible, any thoughts? Sean; sounds like something went wrong with your migration. you can run a CRM trace or a SQL Profiler trace while performing the deletion to see if you can pin-point the error. Dave Ire...

Nothing happens at ctrl-alt-delete prompt
I have a desktop running WinXP Pro. It was running terribly slow, so I rebooted. When I got to the ctrl-alt-delete prompt, I hit the keys and nothing happened. I powered off and back on again and same thing. I rebooted to Last Known Good Configuration, and still the same thing. Then I tried a different keyboard. Still nothing happens when you press ctrl-atl-delete. During the boot process, the lights on the keyboard (num lock, cap lock, etc) blink, so it appears that the keyboard and computer are communicating on some level, at least. Anyone have any thoughts on anything ...

predict future data

Formula for cross tab data filling

Help with importing data

Please Help with Multiple Field Primary Keys
I have two tables in a database that have to use four fields for a unique identifier and primary key. How do I set up a query to set a relationship between those four fields together as one? When I add the tables to the query I see the fields, but I am not having any success properly setting the relationships. The upper half of the query design window is where the 2 tables appear. Drag Field1 from Table1, and drop it into Field1 from Table2. Access displays a join line from one table to the other. Drag Field2 from Table1, and drop it into Field2 from Table2. Repeat for the other 3 f...

How do I lock individuals cells within an Excel spreadsheet so th.
i am trying to lock cells that have formulas in them, but other cells in the spreadsheet need to be unlocked so the end users can enter information. Hi first select the cells for which you want to allow entries and goto 'Format - Cells - Protection' and uncheck 'Locked'. Now protect the sheet 'Tools - Protection' "ucastores" wrote: > i am trying to lock cells that have formulas in them, but other cells in the > spreadsheet need to be unlocked so the end users can enter information. ...