NAME CONFLICT: Name cannot be the same as built-in name.

I am trying to open an Excel file using version 2007 that we have receive
from a sister company.  when i open it i get the below message.

NAME CONFLICT: Name cannot be the same as built-in name. Old Name:
Print_area. New Name: (leaves area blank for you to fill in.)

no matter what i type in the name or it OK or Cancel the file never opens
using 2007.  if i use excel 2003 the file opens without any issues.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Jan Karel Pieterse, Excel MVP has in the past offered this explanation.
Excel checks the integrity of a file when it opens it. Your file contains a
problematic range name (Insert, Name, define), which coincides with built-in
range names Excel normally manages itself.
In this case, you probably have a (I expect workbook-scoped) name called
Print_area. This is one of those reserved range names managed by Excel.
Print_area range names normally are worksheet-scoped, which is why this name
causes an error message.

These may be possible solutions:
1. Open in 2003 and resave with a new name
2. Use Rename in the folder view (windows explorer)
3. When the first time this box comes up you enter a new name with 1
character, it will open. Then you should immediately resave the file. If the
second time opening it, put a new name with 2 characters, and so on. If you
can't get the file open just keep trying adding 1 character each try until
the file actually open.
Hope this helps

"bhay@nascospg.com" wrote:

> I am trying to open an Excel file using version 2007 that we have receive
> from a sister company.  when i open it i get the below message.
>
> NAME CONFLICT: Name cannot be the same as built-in name. Old Name:
> Print_area. New Name: (leaves area blank for you to fill in.)
>
> no matter what i type in the name or it OK or Cancel the file never opens
> using 2007.  if i use excel 2003 the file opens without any issues.

RonBuy (108)
6/1/2009 4:04:01 PM
yes this worked perfectly.

thanks

"Ron@Buy" wrote:

> Jan Karel Pieterse, Excel MVP has in the past offered this explanation.
> Excel checks the integrity of a file when it opens it. Your file contains a
> problematic range name (Insert, Name, define), which coincides with built-in
> range names Excel normally manages itself.
> In this case, you probably have a (I expect workbook-scoped) name called
> Print_area. This is one of those reserved range names managed by Excel.
> Print_area range names normally are worksheet-scoped, which is why this name
> causes an error message.
>
> These may be possible solutions:
> 1. Open in 2003 and resave with a new name
> 2. Use Rename in the folder view (windows explorer)
> 3. When the first time this box comes up you enter a new name with 1
> character, it will open. Then you should immediately resave the file. If the
> second time opening it, put a new name with 2 characters, and so on. If you
> can't get the file open just keep trying adding 1 character each try until
> the file actually open.
> Hope this helps
>

> "bhay@nascospg.com" wrote:
>
> > I am trying to open an Excel file using version 2007 that we have receive
> > from a sister company.  when i open it i get the below message.
> >
> > NAME CONFLICT: Name cannot be the same as built-in name. Old Name:
> > Print_area. New Name: (leaves area blank for you to fill in.)
> >
> > no matter what i type in the name or it OK or Cancel the file never opens
> > using 2007.  if i use excel 2003 the file opens without any issues.
> >
> > any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for the feed back - glad I could help

"bhay@nascospg.com" wrote:

> yes this worked perfectly.
>
> thanks
>

> "Ron@Buy" wrote:
>
> > Jan Karel Pieterse, Excel MVP has in the past offered this explanation.
> > Excel checks the integrity of a file when it opens it. Your file contains a
> > problematic range name (Insert, Name, define), which coincides with built-in
> > range names Excel normally manages itself.
> > In this case, you probably have a (I expect workbook-scoped) name called
> > Print_area. This is one of those reserved range names managed by Excel.
> > Print_area range names normally are worksheet-scoped, which is why this name
> > causes an error message.
> >
> > These may be possible solutions:
> > 1. Open in 2003 and resave with a new name
> > 2. Use Rename in the folder view (windows explorer)
> > 3. When the first time this box comes up you enter a new name with 1
> > character, it will open. Then you should immediately resave the file. If the
> > second time opening it, put a new name with 2 characters, and so on. If you
> > can't get the file open just keep trying adding 1 character each try until
> > the file actually open.
> > Hope this helps
> >

> > "bhay@nascospg.com" wrote:
> >
> > > I am trying to open an Excel file using version 2007 that we have receive
> > > from a sister company.  when i open it i get the below message.
> > >
> > > NAME CONFLICT: Name cannot be the same as built-in name. Old Name:
> > > Print_area. New Name: (leaves area blank for you to fill in.)
> > >
> > > no matter what i type in the name or it OK or Cancel the file never opens
> > > using 2007.  if i use excel 2003 the file opens without any issues.
> > >
> > > any help would be greatly appreciated.
0
RonBuy (108)

Serializing Array with array "name" in the XML

Printing all worksheet names
Does anyone know if it possible to print a list of worksheet names? A list similar to the one you would find in the "Contents" tab of the files' Properties. Thanks for any help you can provide. Programme - XP Excel Hi This topic was covered lately in microsoft.excel.worksheet.functions NG (thread 'print sheet tab names' started by JDB at 06.01.2004 16:00). Here is the solution from me: Create an UDF --- Public Function TabByIndex(TabIndex As Integer) As String Application.Volatile TabByIndex = Sheets(TabIndex).Name End Function --- On some empty worksheet,...

Counting how many different names in a long list
I have a list of 332 names many of them are duplicated. I am looking for a formula or function that can count how many unique names there are in the list. Can anyone help? -- Quaisne ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Quaisne's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28052 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=501357 This'll count the number of distinct values in a range: =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A99<>"")/COUNTIF(A1:A99,A1:A99&"")) (adjust the range to matc...

Windows 2000 server user names
Where can I configure the user names formatting like you do in Recipient policies? yaro ...

Account Names not showing when adding new user
Hi, I created a SharePoint site off of a 2007 Project Server install and when adding users to access the SharePoint site, directory services only returns admin users of the SharePoint/Project Server? How do I get AD to return all the users in the domain? Thanks! Steve Steve: What do you mean when you say "I created a SharePoint site off of a 2007 Project Server install?" Your description lacks a few details. "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EAA4C48D-9D6A-44C7-84BF-787AE762561E@microsoft.com... > Hi, >...

sender domain name?
I have one Exchange 2003 in a semi-lab setup. It is part of my lab domain, we'll call it test.domain, so my server is mail.test.domain Obviously test.domain is not resolveable from the Internet and when I send mail, it goes out as test.domain. How can I make this server send mail out as mail.blah.com so its resolveable? (and will quit bouncing all my messages to domains that do reverse dns lookups?) Thanks for any and all help!! -Mike Change the addressing. You might consider adding a subdomain to your production domain like test.company.com, registering it with an MX record ...

State table lookup
Hi I have a form for entering Customer data. When entering a new record, I have a lookup combo box to validate the state that the user enters. The combo box displays the state code and the state name. (ie. Ca and California). The state code is the bound value and the state name is the display value. The only time I want to display the full state name is when the user is entering data into the form. I want the state code to be displayed on queries, forms, and reports. Is there a way to do this ? Thanks in advance Mark Create a table with 2 fields like this: StateID Text (say...

SSL Certificate server name is incorrect
I get the message (Exchange server 2003 SP1) The SSL certificate server name is incorrect ID no: c103b404 Exchange System Manager When I try to open the propertie-page of any public folder. Does anyone knows of a way to correct this ? TIA Rudy Steyaert Rudy, I assume this is related to the fact you specified HTTPS / SSL on the overall "default web site" in IIS. If SSL is configured for your Exchange OWA, it's only necessary to force SSL on the Exchange FOlder, not the Public or ExchWeb. As the Public Folder properties in your Exchange system manager are making use of...

how to capture the event changing the name of a sheet
I would like to trigger a procedure whenever a user change the sheet name or add anew sheet. The event of new sheet can be captured but I don't know how to capture the event changing sheet's name. Please help No event is generated when a sheet changes names... What were you needing the event for? Perhaps we can help you get around the problem. -- HTH... Jim Thomlinson "Satyapal Kaushal" wrote: > I would like to trigger a procedure whenever a user change the sheet name or > add anew sheet. The event of new sheet can be captured but I don't...

Extracting name out of line
I am copying a line off the web with 4 names in it, separated by spaces (From 1 to 6 spaces). I am trying to extract name 3 from the line. Tried split(Var, " ") however Name moves according to the space between the names. Var(2) can be the Name or according to spaces between names, Var(6) Can you help me? Thank you, Gordon On 27 Jan 2007 15:37:39 -0800, "Gordon" <gwelch1938@yahoo.com> wrote: >I am copying a line off the web with 4 names in it, separated by >spaces (From 1 to 6 spaces). I am trying to extract name 3 from the >line. Tried split(V...

Sheet you want to copy contains the name...
When I copy a worksheet I get the repeated message box that the destination workbook already contains the name "a", "aa", "prntoutline", "ssd", "q" and "zz". I have to select yes to each message box to allow the worksheet copy to complete itself. I do not have these names within the worksheet (chekced by Insert>Name>Define). How can I delete these nsmaes that do not seem to exist? Thanks. Names can be hidden, so Insert=>Name=>Define may not show them. In the troublesome workbook make a blank sheet active, then go...

excel
I am trying to write a macro to save a excel spreadsheet and use a cell that contains text like a customer name. Record your macro to include the File > SaveAs, then edit that line of code. Instead of ... Filename:="\\FinancialReporting\FY2006" ..., you might use .... Filename:="\\FinancialReporting\FY" & range("B2").value ... "bossman tv" wrote: > I am trying to write a macro to save a excel spreadsheet and use a cell that > contains text like a customer name. ...

Parsing Names in Excel
I have a list in Excel from A1:A100 with names like the ones mentioned below: Michelle Fooo (michelfoo@exchange.SASMOM.com) Myhaass Smith (mysmith@exchange.SASMOM.com) I want to parse them using string functions to the following format michelfoo@SASMOM.com mysmith@SASMOM.com Any ideas how to do this using a formula? Thanks in advance Michael Michael Are you wanting to strip all the name out too or just remove the exchange.? If the latter just use edit>replace What:=exchange. and leave the with blank -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_...

wrong display name
Why is my messenger displaying my name from web from my Live profile??? I've never checked any box that allows to take name from web. I want to use my custom name that I set in my messenger client. And if I wanted to change my name in Live profile in home.live.com then it refuses to accept special characters that I've been using for years in my messenger client. There is something broken, you know, and please fix it as soon as possible. Thanks! Greetings, There are instances where it can change your name to what's in your live profile in Messenger, but you c...

Exchange Organization Name
Is there any way to extract the exchange organization name from a priv1.edb file? After system crash we have to rebuild the exchange system and have good backups of the edb files but do not know what the exact organization name. Thanks Dave B Hi Dave, You can try opening a copy of the Dir.edb in notepad to see if you can find it in there. If that doesn't work, do you still have the "Exchange Server Setup.log" file that was at the root of the drive? If so, you can search it for the Organization Name. When you search, you can just search for "/o=" and it will have t...

OWA + more than 8 letters alias name
Recently I have experienced that users whoes email account has more than 8 letters have problem using OWA with error message of "HTTP/1.0 403 Forbidden". Users with less or equal to 8 letters have no problem at all. My server is Exchange 2003 (native mode). Much appreciated! ...

Pass command line file name parameter
Hi, I have an application with classes Myapp, MyappDoc and MyappView. The input filename from command line's parameter is stored as public variable sFilename in Myapp.h which is included in MyappDoc.cpp and MyappView.cpp. There're compiling errors: MyappDoc.cpp : error C2065: 'sFilename' : undeclared identifier MyappView.cpp : error C2065: 'sFilename' : undeclared identifier Why? If the input filename from command line's parameter is stored as public variable in MyappDoc.h, how to access it from Myapp.cpp? Thanks, ybc The other problem is, when I set the...

Iterate named range & clear contents
Excel 03 Hi all I have a bunch of named ranges (Insert > Name > Define) which I wan to iterate through, & then delete their contents. I'm trying this : For Each nm in ThisWorkbook.Names nm.ClearContents Next nm can someone please show me the correct way to do this. thanks paul For Each nm In ThisWorkbook.Names On Error Resume Next Range(nm.Name).ClearContents On Error GoTo 0 Next nm -- HTH Bob (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my addy) "Paul Wagstaff" <paulwagstaff@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in mes...

SQL Ethnic Name Matching
I have a table of surnames and ethnicity. I want to choose one ethnicity and the number of characters going backwards from the end that should be matched to approximate ethnicity. This will be used to extract names of one ethnicity form another table. I'll be using MS Access initially, so I assume their character matching routines (those in the help file look like the ones in GW Basic) will do. (Dunno if they exist on other SQL.) Might someone suggest the SQL code for this op? Are LIKE and SIMILAR universal in SQL? I have a mismash of experiences with broad gaps. I used IBM DB2 in...

Switch First and Last Names
What is the excel formula to change John Brown to Brown, John? Thanks! Karen, Try this =MID(A1&" "&A1, FIND(" ",A1)+1,LEN(A1)) -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question. "Karen" wrote: > What is the excel formula to change John Brown to Brown, John? Thanks! Hi, try =TRIM(RIGHT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1))&" "&TRIM(LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1)) "Karen" wrote: > ...

Name of MS Online Classes
I have asked this question in other forums but can't get an answer. I really want to take some Sql Server and Windows classes. I know MS offers these cool online classes that are reasonably priced on Sql Server and Windows, but I can't for the life of me remember the name of them. What do you call them, so I can look them up and find out more about them? Thx in advance... Nevermind. I found it. "CLM" wrote: > I have asked this question in other forums but can't get an answer. I really > want to take some Sql Server and Windows classes. I...

How to arrange mailing labels alphabetically by last name?
Word 2007, arrange mailing labels alphabetically by last name? Use the instructions in http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/ConvertAdrsToDatafile.htm to convert the labels to a data source, sort it, and then re-merge the labels. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "mazziossharon" <mazziossharon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D941ABB9-7BC4-49AC-8FF2-CB32F62A2FD9@microsoft.com... > Word 2007, arrange mailing labels alphabetically by last name? > Before you run ...

- Why can't I change display names in Hotmail?
There's no Hotmail group, so I thought I'd try asking here. When I try changing my display name in Hotmail, and hit SAVE at the bottom.. it just reloads the Account Information form (with the changes). It doesn't go to a success page. When I try sending email, the old display name is still there. When I log out and log back in and go into my personal profile options, the old display name is back. What am I doing wrong? Contact MSN Hotmail Support http://support.msn.com/contactus_emailsupport.aspx?productkey=hotmail&ct=eformts -- Carey Frisch Microsoft MVP Windows X...

Force From field to use different name
Hi, is it possible to force the from field of a message to use a different name? I have a user who receives resumes - she would like to send a notification that a resume has been received but not show her own name in the From field, just a generic "Resume Receiver" or something but only for that message only. All other messages from her should show her real name. Your help appreciated!-- Thanks, GillianHG You sure you meant to post in an excel newsgroup??? GillianHG wrote: > > Hi, is it possible to force the from field of a message to use a different > name? &g...

How 2 separate column of addresses into a colum of names and numb
Hi! I would like advice on how to separate the names and the numbers of an address written in one column into the name and the number in two separate columns. In otherwords "Kingstreet 23" must become "Kingstreet" and "23." Can anyone help with a function that can do this? Thanks in advance, Rochelle Hi Rochelle if all your names & numbers are similar to your example, then data / text to columns will probably work for you ensure that you have a couple of blank columns to the right of your current column (note, this process will split up your origin...