NAME CONFLICT: Name cannot be the same as built-in name.

I am trying to open an Excel file using version 2007 that we have receive
from a sister company.  when i open it i get the below message.

NAME CONFLICT: Name cannot be the same as built-in name. Old Name:
Print_area. New Name: (leaves area blank for you to fill in.)

no matter what i type in the name or it OK or Cancel the file never opens
using 2007.  if i use excel 2003 the file opens without any issues.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Jan Karel Pieterse, Excel MVP has in the past offered this explanation.
Excel checks the integrity of a file when it opens it. Your file contains a
problematic range name (Insert, Name, define), which coincides with built-in
range names Excel normally manages itself.
In this case, you probably have a (I expect workbook-scoped) name called
Print_area. This is one of those reserved range names managed by Excel.
Print_area range names normally are worksheet-scoped, which is why this name
causes an error message.

These may be possible solutions:
1. Open in 2003 and resave with a new name
2. Use Rename in the folder view (windows explorer)
3. When the first time this box comes up you enter a new name with 1
character, it will open. Then you should immediately resave the file. If the
second time opening it, put a new name with 2 characters, and so on. If you
can't get the file open just keep trying adding 1 character each try until
the file actually open.
Hope this helps

"bhay@nascospg.com" wrote:

> I am trying to open an Excel file using version 2007 that we have receive
> from a sister company.  when i open it i get the below message.
>
> NAME CONFLICT: Name cannot be the same as built-in name. Old Name:
> Print_area. New Name: (leaves area blank for you to fill in.)
>
> no matter what i type in the name or it OK or Cancel the file never opens
> using 2007.  if i use excel 2003 the file opens without any issues.

RonBuy (107)
6/1/2009 4:04:01 PM
yes this worked perfectly.

thanks

"Ron@Buy" wrote:

> Jan Karel Pieterse, Excel MVP has in the past offered this explanation.
> Excel checks the integrity of a file when it opens it. Your file contains a
> problematic range name (Insert, Name, define), which coincides with built-in
> range names Excel normally manages itself.
> In this case, you probably have a (I expect workbook-scoped) name called
> Print_area. This is one of those reserved range names managed by Excel.
> Print_area range names normally are worksheet-scoped, which is why this name
> causes an error message.
>
> These may be possible solutions:
> 1. Open in 2003 and resave with a new name
> 2. Use Rename in the folder view (windows explorer)
> 3. When the first time this box comes up you enter a new name with 1
> character, it will open. Then you should immediately resave the file. If the
> second time opening it, put a new name with 2 characters, and so on. If you
> can't get the file open just keep trying adding 1 character each try until
> the file actually open.
> Hope this helps
>

> "bhay@nascospg.com" wrote:
>
> > I am trying to open an Excel file using version 2007 that we have receive
> > from a sister company.  when i open it i get the below message.
> >
> > NAME CONFLICT: Name cannot be the same as built-in name. Old Name:
> > Print_area. New Name: (leaves area blank for you to fill in.)
> >
> > no matter what i type in the name or it OK or Cancel the file never opens
> > using 2007.  if i use excel 2003 the file opens without any issues.
> >
> > any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for the feed back - glad I could help

"bhay@nascospg.com" wrote:

> yes this worked perfectly.
>
> thanks
>

> "Ron@Buy" wrote:
>
> > Jan Karel Pieterse, Excel MVP has in the past offered this explanation.
> > Excel checks the integrity of a file when it opens it. Your file contains a
> > problematic range name (Insert, Name, define), which coincides with built-in
> > range names Excel normally manages itself.
> > In this case, you probably have a (I expect workbook-scoped) name called
> > Print_area. This is one of those reserved range names managed by Excel.
> > Print_area range names normally are worksheet-scoped, which is why this name
> > causes an error message.
> >
> > These may be possible solutions:
> > 1. Open in 2003 and resave with a new name
> > 2. Use Rename in the folder view (windows explorer)
> > 3. When the first time this box comes up you enter a new name with 1
> > character, it will open. Then you should immediately resave the file. If the
> > second time opening it, put a new name with 2 characters, and so on. If you
> > can't get the file open just keep trying adding 1 character each try until
> > the file actually open.
> > Hope this helps
> >

> > "bhay@nascospg.com" wrote:
> >
> > > I am trying to open an Excel file using version 2007 that we have receive
> > > from a sister company.  when i open it i get the below message.
> > >
> > > NAME CONFLICT: Name cannot be the same as built-in name. Old Name:
> > > Print_area. New Name: (leaves area blank for you to fill in.)
> > >
> > > no matter what i type in the name or it OK or Cancel the file never opens
> > > using 2007.  if i use excel 2003 the file opens without any issues.
> > >
> > > any help would be greatly appreciated.
0
RonBuy (107)

Change supplier name
Hi can anyone tell me how to change the supplier name for a list of existing items to another existing supplier name, without having to do it one by one. -- Gord We have this as part of our Store and HQ Utility add-on - one of 37 wizards that are not in RMS :) Contat me for more info Afshin Alikhani - afshin@retailrealm.co.uk Retail Realm = = = = = = = = "Gord" <Gord@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FA72EFB9-D760-484C-B315-7C3B6E236CA1@microsoft.com... > Hi can anyone tell me how to change the supplier name for a list of > existing > items to a...

Conflicting margins
I have publisher on my desktop and my laptop. My laptop allows me to set margins at 0 so color will print to the edge of the page. When I set the margins at 0 on my desktop, margins are inserted so that color will not print to the edge of the page. I can copy a project from the laptop to the desktop, and then the margins are not inserted, but that is a real pain in the crass to do for every project. How can I reset the margins on my desktop so that they really are 0? That's a printer issue. If your printer does not allow full bleed (printing to the edge) then you can't set Publ...

E2003 naming ranges correctly
Hi! Even though I named the ranges in my excel workbook, I cannot properly import excel contacts into Outlook. Not even when the excel data was originally exported from Outlook! In the import dialog box, the actions to be performed field 'doesn't show only 1 excel file to import, but al the column headers of the file as seperate items. I can only map custom fields per item. The result of such import is very strange. I found out converting the excel file first in an access db and than importing that access file in Outlook contacts, is an easy work around. But I get really sic...

How to pull names and fields
Hello can anyone tell how I can get Excel to pull data from different worksheets if the common thing between them is a person name. I'd guess you'd want to use =vlookup() or =index(match()) And Debra Dalgleish has some nice instructions (for both) at: http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html and http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions03.html Brian S. wrote: > > Hello can anyone tell how I can get Excel to pull data from different > worksheets if the common thing between them is a person name. -- Dave Peterson ...

%20 shows up in document name when doing a save as
I do alot of quotes that I pull up an old document, update with new info, then save as a new document name, leaving the old one as is. Sometimes when I go to save the new document as save as, the spaces in the name of the document are filled with the percentage symbol and 20, %20. Does anyone know how to fix this? ...

Change Directory Name in Exchange 2003, Windows Server 2003
The directory name that appears in exmerge does not match the user account name and I would like to know how to change it. Another administrator created an account in Exchange 2003. The display name is Jane Smith, the login is jane@domain.org and the e-mail is janes@vera.org. When the account was created, the word test was put in one of those fields (which one I am no longer sure and it was changed after creation to the names above, although test@domain.org is still one of the e-mails for this user but not the default). When I use exmerge the directory name that appears for the accou...

E-mail Address Conflict in Global Adress List
Hi there, I have a strange problem. I have a person with two users account (My manager) one of them Paul and the other Paulxx In Active directory on the Exchange E-mail addresses its pointing to the right e-mail for each account. TYPE E-MAIL Paul SMTP PAUL@Y.COM PAULXX SMTP PAULXX@Y.COM but in outlook when any user in the company try to send an e-mail to this person and choose paul from the Global Address List, the e.mail shows as the other account paulxx@y.com an...

Tape Symbolic Name #2
I have three tape drives w/ symbolic names of tape0, tape1, and tape2. While running in a linux environment, there is no problem, but when running in WinXP, windows switches the symbolic names around, which ruins a tape read program I use. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks by the way, this is written in VC++ 2003 .Net Jeremiah Thoman ...

Name for chart template does not display under My Templates
I can create a custom Chart Template in Excel 2007. When I go to use the Chart Template, the Insert Chart dialog window shows all of my templates under My Templates, but it just shows a generic icon for each template without showing the name of the template under the icon. If I hover over each template the name appears as a tool tip. Is there any way to set a default so that the names appear? ...

Getting class name(MFC)
Hi All, In InitInstance I need a class name but before assigning to m_pMainWnd. InitInstance() { .. .. .. //Here i need a classname to check the instance of the application is not already running // FindWindow(,,) .. .. .. CFileWriteDlg dlg; m_pMainWnd = &dlg; .. .. .. } How should i get the Class name? Thanks and regards Amar See here: http://flounder.com/nomultiples.htm Amar wrote: > //Here i need a classname to check the instance of the application is > not already running > // FindWindow(,,) I like this class for this sort of thing. It's really easy to implem...

Configuring Domain Name for internal/external access
Well I sort of think i've got it right. Please comment on the following points: 1. I have created an internal domain name of "audor.org" the system has registered this as "remote.audor.org". 2. Our external domain name is www.acdorchester.org. 3. I now need to purchase a domain name of www.audor.org and point the A record to the fixed IP address ISP has given. This will allow external access for management and roaming staff. Please comment and advise on any changes necessary. I am not sure if I really need to purchase another one? -- happyhacker -...

Count by short date and group by agent name
I have a tracking table (tbl_Tracker) that now contains date and time in one field [Date] and agent name in another field [SLR]. I would like run a query to do a count of number of records by agent by day. How do I set up the query to recognize only the date and not the time. I have Group By [SLR], Count [SLR] and Group By [Date], however it shows a record for each date and specific time instead of grouping the whole day. Then I need to build another query that looks at another table (tbl_SL_Call_Stats) for number of calls handled [Handled] by day [Date] for a date range and ...

i have #name? at my control
i have #name? at my control. I cobined these functions (iif(), left(), right(),count() ,integer() and the concatenation sign(&)) to change numbers into texts on a form . It woked well as i wanted . after a perioud of using my system perfictly I faced this problem. i began trubleshooting to determine the cause . the cases noted by "help" missed the problem .i removed the ms_office and reset it up and checked the refernces and unchecked the microsft missing refernces. but the problem still faceing me . i copied my system in another computer is worked well. them i formated m...

if I know the last name can I get the first name from the full name?
I'm inporting data that has the person's full name in one field. i.e. "GLORIA DE LOS SANTOS". But they have given me a last name in a separate field, and it's listed as "LOS SANTOS". Since I know the last name, can I extract everything excluding the last name from the full name? I don't mind if they included the middle initial and that was on the end of the first name. I could live with that. Thanks Kelvin Well, one way to do it is just use the length function and pull from the full name field the field length of the full name field minus length ...

sign in name #2
Due to my busy schedule I have not worked with my investment/checking account files in Money 2002 since June 2003. Now when I try to open my files I receive an error message that my sign in name does not exist. I have sent numerous e-mails to Microsoft support and am told that after three months of inactivity the file sign in name is invalid. How can I open my files and retrieve my data? Support says I must start a new file and re-enter the data. If I must do this it won't be on Money software. Help In microsoft.public.money, Rich wrote: >Due to my busy schedule I have not wor...

SMTP Connector not being used and has odd name in queue
I have a 4 node Exchange 2003 A/P cluster w/ a non clustered server as the front end. Right now, all of the servers use their own SMTP VS to send email. I want them all to use the front end as a bridgehead for outbound email. Easy enough... So, I create the SMTP connector and list the front end as the bridgehead, and add in the address space, as I've done many a time. All appears good. But. As soon as I do this, all outbound mail stops. I then look at each server and see that they show the SMTP connector and it's filling up. Also, the name of the connector isn't what I called it...

Name on Tab
I have been using the following code to pull information from a cell to name the sheet tab. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Not Intersect(Target, Range("C5")) Is Nothing Then ' are we in client cell name? If ActiveSheet.Name = Sheet1.Name Then ' in case of grouped sheets ActiveSheet.Name = Target.Value End If End If End Sub This code has always worked as long as I type the information into C5, in this case that is the name of an employee. I built a table with all the employee information I wanted and used VLOOKUP to place the da...

GetPrivateProfileSectionNames only returning one section name
I was wondering if someone could tell me why the following code only returns a single section name of a multisection ini file. GetPrivateProfileSectionName(m_sReturnString,2000,m_sIniFile); MessageBox(m_sReturnString); Z.K. Never mind I figured it out. It had to do with the '\0' characters at the end of each string so I used a for loop to go through the string and set the '\0' to '\n' and now it prints out all the sections as it should. Z.K. "Z.K." <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message news:%23SBeiAErGHA.3920@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl......

Exchange 2003
Aloha Everyone, I recently migrated my employer from Exchange 5.5 to 2003. With 5.5 user initials could successfully be used in the "To:" field to address an email. These user initials are set as aliases. Now however, because some users initials match the beginning of other users smtp addresses, Exchange prompts to choose from a list of possible users. For instance in the past JM would successfully send to John Miller. Now with 2003, Exchange can't figure out if JM is for John Miller (Whose alias is "JM"), or Jim Mulligan (whose smtp addy begins with JM) or John M...

Naming Cells
When I try to name a range of cells, the sheet name is automatically included. Is it possible to exclude the sheet name so that the same cell range can have the same name on every sheet in the same workbook Turning on the option to include labels in formulas mostly solved the problem but occasionally there are number typos that don't get fixed right away Grouping sheets and selecting the range work okay as well, but I'm more comfortable with names tj You can create a named range by doing insert=>Name=>Define Name: List Refers to: =!$A$10:$A$20 However the name will refer t...

Removing names from Global Address list
we are running exchange 2000 and I need to remove some names from the global address list Thanks in advance for your help The GAL is just an LDAP filter which reflects objects with "email" addresses. In order to remove names from the GAL you need to remove the addresses or the associated AD objects. Nue "jv" <jv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:090837CF-902A-444E-82EB-986D8E34D4E7@microsoft.com... > we are running exchange 2000 and I need to remove some names from the > global > address list > > Thanks > in advance for your h...

How to enter a new line in name of actor
Dear Friends, I have an UML from my friend. I need to correct some actor names. Since some names are so long, I want to enter name on many lines instead of one line. How can I enter 'Enter' character ? Could some one give me advice. Thanks in advance. Just click an actor, type text. Hit enter key whenever you want a new line. Is there any other methods ? Thanks. "Lang Du" wrote: > Dear Friends, > > I have an UML from my friend. I need to correct some actor names. Since some > names are so long, I want to enter name on many lines instead of one line. >...

Downloaded Payee Names Editing
In Money 2006 the payee field of a downloaded transaction is "grayed out" and cannot be edited - DIRECTV (1) for example. When I try to use the Payee Rules Manager to change the name to Direct TV, I receive an error stating that "DIRECV (1) is already being used as a payee or payee name variation. Please enter a different name." This seems counter-intuitive to me. Surely, I should be able to enter the preferred name and then list the unwanted variants I wish to have replaced with the preferred name. Are you in Advanced Register??? "Silbury Hill" <no-one@h...

Invalid Domain Name. Domain name invalid or unreachable #2
Hi, I am getting following error in MS CRM 4.0 when using Deployment Manager: "Invalid Domain Name. Domain name is either invalid or unreachable". Also when using the Plug-in registration tool, I am getting the same error. And I am not able to register any plug-in. Request you to please provide your inputs. Thanks in advance, help appreciated. Bharat On this posting there is some code to help you list the domains active from the machine you wish to install CRM 4.0 on. create this inside a .vbs file and run it using cscript from the system32 folder and it listed mine correctl...

lost payee(customer) name
I use M2003 H&B and recently it just lost a payee (customer) name -at least on the payee & customer lists. It still finds the customer/payee info - details about the customer, transactions, etc. when I right-click on the name in the invoice listing and 'go to payee' . But I can't create an invoice for the customer because the name is not on the customer list, and they don't appear on my regular payee list anymore either. Can't add the customer back in because Money says the payee/customer already exists. I don't want to add the same customer with a differen...