NAME CONFLICT: Name cannot be the same as built-in name.

I am trying to open an Excel file using version 2007 that we have receive
from a sister company.  when i open it i get the below message.

NAME CONFLICT: Name cannot be the same as built-in name. Old Name:
Print_area. New Name: (leaves area blank for you to fill in.)

no matter what i type in the name or it OK or Cancel the file never opens
using 2007.  if i use excel 2003 the file opens without any issues.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Jan Karel Pieterse, Excel MVP has in the past offered this explanation.
Excel checks the integrity of a file when it opens it. Your file contains a
problematic range name (Insert, Name, define), which coincides with built-in
range names Excel normally manages itself.
In this case, you probably have a (I expect workbook-scoped) name called
Print_area. This is one of those reserved range names managed by Excel.
Print_area range names normally are worksheet-scoped, which is why this name
causes an error message.

These may be possible solutions:
1. Open in 2003 and resave with a new name
2. Use Rename in the folder view (windows explorer)
3. When the first time this box comes up you enter a new name with 1
character, it will open. Then you should immediately resave the file. If the
second time opening it, put a new name with 2 characters, and so on. If you
can't get the file open just keep trying adding 1 character each try until
the file actually open.
Hope this helps

"bhay@nascospg.com" wrote:

> I am trying to open an Excel file using version 2007 that we have receive
> from a sister company.  when i open it i get the below message.
>
> NAME CONFLICT: Name cannot be the same as built-in name. Old Name:
> Print_area. New Name: (leaves area blank for you to fill in.)
>
> no matter what i type in the name or it OK or Cancel the file never opens
> using 2007.  if i use excel 2003 the file opens without any issues.

RonBuy (107)
6/1/2009 4:04:01 PM
yes this worked perfectly.

thanks

"Ron@Buy" wrote:

> Jan Karel Pieterse, Excel MVP has in the past offered this explanation.
> Excel checks the integrity of a file when it opens it. Your file contains a
> problematic range name (Insert, Name, define), which coincides with built-in
> range names Excel normally manages itself.
> In this case, you probably have a (I expect workbook-scoped) name called
> Print_area. This is one of those reserved range names managed by Excel.
> Print_area range names normally are worksheet-scoped, which is why this name
> causes an error message.
>
> These may be possible solutions:
> 1. Open in 2003 and resave with a new name
> 2. Use Rename in the folder view (windows explorer)
> 3. When the first time this box comes up you enter a new name with 1
> character, it will open. Then you should immediately resave the file. If the
> second time opening it, put a new name with 2 characters, and so on. If you
> can't get the file open just keep trying adding 1 character each try until
> the file actually open.
> Hope this helps
>

> "bhay@nascospg.com" wrote:
>
> > I am trying to open an Excel file using version 2007 that we have receive
> > from a sister company.  when i open it i get the below message.
> >
> > NAME CONFLICT: Name cannot be the same as built-in name. Old Name:
> > Print_area. New Name: (leaves area blank for you to fill in.)
> >
> > no matter what i type in the name or it OK or Cancel the file never opens
> > using 2007.  if i use excel 2003 the file opens without any issues.
> >
> > any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for the feed back - glad I could help

"bhay@nascospg.com" wrote:

> yes this worked perfectly.
>
> thanks
>

> "Ron@Buy" wrote:
>
> > Jan Karel Pieterse, Excel MVP has in the past offered this explanation.
> > Excel checks the integrity of a file when it opens it. Your file contains a
> > problematic range name (Insert, Name, define), which coincides with built-in
> > range names Excel normally manages itself.
> > In this case, you probably have a (I expect workbook-scoped) name called
> > Print_area. This is one of those reserved range names managed by Excel.
> > Print_area range names normally are worksheet-scoped, which is why this name
> > causes an error message.
> >
> > These may be possible solutions:
> > 1. Open in 2003 and resave with a new name
> > 2. Use Rename in the folder view (windows explorer)
> > 3. When the first time this box comes up you enter a new name with 1
> > character, it will open. Then you should immediately resave the file. If the
> > second time opening it, put a new name with 2 characters, and so on. If you
> > can't get the file open just keep trying adding 1 character each try until
> > the file actually open.
> > Hope this helps
> >

> > "bhay@nascospg.com" wrote:
> >
> > > I am trying to open an Excel file using version 2007 that we have receive
> > > from a sister company.  when i open it i get the below message.
> > >
> > > NAME CONFLICT: Name cannot be the same as built-in name. Old Name:
> > > Print_area. New Name: (leaves area blank for you to fill in.)
> > >
> > > no matter what i type in the name or it OK or Cancel the file never opens
> > > using 2007.  if i use excel 2003 the file opens without any issues.
> > >
> > > any help would be greatly appreciated.
0
RonBuy (107)

Determing Column Name
I am trying to determine the column name based on an expression. My table has column names like GROSWAGS_1, GROSWAGS_2, etc. The number represents a month. Here's what I've got so far. declare @GrossWagesColumn as Char(30) declare @MonthNumber as Int Set @MonthNumber = 4 Set @GrossWagesColumn = '['+'GROSWAGS_'+LTrim(RTrim(Cast(@MonthNumber as CHAR(2))))+']' Select employid, @GrossWagesColumn as GrossWages from Table1 Unfortunately, I'm getting the table name in my results instead of the data for the column. EMPLOYID GrossW...

Sent items separates messages
Hi: I have a contact in my address book with the full name of "Steve Smith" and an email address of "ssmith@hiscompany.com" When I receive email messages from Steve, in my inbox, his messages show up with the "From" name of "Steve Smith" - exactly as I would expect. If I REPLY to a message from Steve, then in my "Sent Items" folder, the message sometimes appears with the "To" name of ssmith@hiscompany.com and other times it appears with the "To" name of 'ssmith@hiscompany.com' (notice the single q...

Import file with spaces in file name
Hi and TIA! I'm trying to import files into my db. All works well if the file name has no spaces, but if there are spaces it bombs out. Is this a common feature or is there a way to allow my uses to import files with spaces in the file name. Thanks for you time! -- Reggie On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 14:36:29 -0700, "Reggie" <No_Spam_chief123101@yahoo.com> wrote: >Hi and TIA! I'm trying to import files into my db. All works well if the >file name has no spaces, but if there are spaces it bombs out. Is this a >common feature or is there a...

Merging sheets -- name range conflicts
Due to some nasty schedule constraints, there are two of us working on an Excel workbook. Separate copies, not shared via a network. John works on sheets A, B, and C which have plenty of internal named ranges and internal references, but refer to outside sheets in only a couple of cells. Some VBA code attached to the sheets. Doesn't touch sheets D, E & F in his copy. Let's call his version J Mike works on sheets D, E, and F. again lots of internal references, refers to a handful of cells in sheet A (via named ranges). VBA code attached to the sheets. Doesn't touch sheets ...

OWA
I have a remote user who connects via AOL and then opens IE to connect to OWA. Starting yesterday, she gets promtped for her user name and password, but she can't type anything in either field. She can tab between them, but when she types, nothing comes up on the screen. She says there are no problems inside of AOL. Any ideas? Ask in an Exchange or Internet Explorer newsgroup. OWA is part of Exchange; not Outlook -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Creating Signatures -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "...

Linking Tab Names to an Index
I want to link the sheet names to a index schedule that I have so that if the sheet names change these will be automatically be changed in the index schedule. For example in the index sheet I might have: Schedule Reference: Schedule Contents: Schedule A Summary in tab Schedule B Analysis If I rename Schedule B to C I want it to change to automatically. Any help much appreciated. Cheers Lee Hi Excel changes sheet name references automatically if you use them in formulas >-----Original Message----- >I want to link the sheet names to a index s...

OWA Works in one domain name only
I am having a problem with user accessing OWA. For example users with email addresses that start as XYZ.COM have no problem, but users in the same windows domain, but in email domain ABC.COM Cannot access OWA? I changed their default email address to XYZ.COM and they can access OWA?? Is there something I need to do to allow different email domains to log on the the server You need to create additional HTTP virtual servers to support extra email domains. See 257891 or 293386 -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please do not send em...

Insert...Name Range
Hello: I have a named range within Microsoft Excel that I created as an ODBC within Crystal Reports. I did this in Excel by choosing Insert...Name...Define. It's working perfectly! Now, if the spreadsheet gets updated monthly by adding additional rows, will the range in Excel and for the Crystal ODBC connection be updated automatically? If not, is there a way to do such an update? Thanks! childofthe1980s I haven't used Crystal Reports so I don't know if it has the capability to adjust ranges names, however if you assign a name to the range A1:A10 and then type data in ...

Renaming tab names causes error
When I try to rename a tab from "May-04" to "June-04", I get the error message "While renaming a sheet or chart, you entered an invalide name. Try one of the following * Make sure the name you entered does not exceed 31 characters * Make sure the name does not contain any of the following characters: : \ / ? * [ or * Make sure you did not leave the name blank. After hitting escape, the name on the sheet changes to ".xls]June-04" I am using Excell 2002 SP-2 Any ideas how to fix this? Thanks I think I saw a post that described this behavior--but I&#...

Log of user name date and time
Hi i have a data base that requires the user name, date and time in the notes section every time that something has been changed on the data base and when someone has opened that record is their any easy way that i can do this? This is what you're looking for http://downloads.techrepublic.com.com/abstract.aspx?docid=286298&tag=nl.e101 It records what was changed, by who, and when You might have to register, but it's free, and the spam they send out is often actually quite interesting, and it's easily stopped if you don't want it. Alec Sarar wrote: >Hi >i hav...

Pasting text with Style Conflicts
I have a long document (150 pages), I have used the heading styles to format all numbered paragraphs and other styles to format non-numbered paragraphs. I have to paste in several other documents as Exhibits to this main agreement. These exhibits are also formatted using Heading styles for all numbered paragraphs and other styles to format non-numbered paragraphs. Problem is, all the style names are the same, but the look of the formatting is different between the main agreement and the exhibits. For example the exhibits, while the Heading 1-5 styles have been used, the look ...

#Name? Error on Unbound control
I've got an unbound text box on a form that is showing a #Name? error. I can't figure what would cause that. Anyone? "Grip" <grip@cybermesa.com> wrote in message news:9fd89919-8e78-4a2a-ac74-8ab3450b2787@z41g2000yqz.googlegroups.com... > I've got an unbound text box on a form that is showing a #Name? error. > > I can't figure what would cause that. Anyone? What is the name of the control, and what is its Control Source? -- Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP Access tips: www.datagnostics.com/tips.html (please reply to the newsgroup) ...

VBA: Variable with name of function?
Is there a variable containing the name of the VBA function currently running? I'd like to put it in the title of my Msgbox calls to automatically identify where the information is coming: Msgbox "Text of message",,vbFunName No, but you can do what you want with some code. Dim a variable in a Module so that it can be seen by the rest of your code no matter where that code is, then set this variable to whatever text you want within **every** sub and function (set the value to the empty string for those subs and functions that you don't need to report the ...

Odd GAL name resolution issue
Hi all, I had a user complain that when they manually type in "Mike Smith" in the Outlook "To:" field, it was resolving as "Bob Jones". I checked out Bob Jones' entry in ADUC, and the only place I see Mike Smith referenced is in the "Office" field on the General tab (no idea why that was filled in that way as it isn't our standard). Is it normal for fields other than the name fields to be parsed when attempting to resolve names? "Mike Smith" is actually "Michael Smith" as far as ADUC is concerned, and that's why it did...

Using Modprof to change Exchange server name only
Hi, I'm attempting to use the Modprof utility with no luck. What I'm trying to change the Exchange server name and that's all. In the Outlook.prf file (which is a demo I downloaded off of MS website)I edited the lines as follows ConversionProhibited=TRUE HomeServer=<Servername>...When I run the Modprof.exe nothing seems to have changed in Out look. I would like to hack the scripting so the script only pertains to changing the Exchange server name. Anyone know what I'm doing incorrect here? Thanks! You would have better luck posting this in an Exchange news grou...

Exch 2003 Name Change on SBS 2003
Hello, Due to a problem with IBMDB2, the ACCPAC person installing the updates, who is also an MCSE (?) went into DNS and renamed the server. Unfortunately, the owner had named it to starting with a number, and with how well the product sets itself up, created the mail server, everything. IBM DB2 does not like a server name starting with a number. Thus, in DNS server name changed, system rebooted, thus rendering the Exchange server being very unhappy. As this is a fairly new installation of SBS2003/Exch2003, how can I rename the Exch2003 server to match that of the domain contro...

How to pass a workshhet name as a parameter into a subroutine ?
Can someone give me an example how to pass a workshhet name as a parameter into a subroutine ? I want to do same thing into different worksheets. On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 02:49:05 -0800, yigalb <yigalb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Can someone give me an example how to pass a workshhet name as a parameter >into a subroutine ? >I want to do same thing into different worksheets. One example: Sub CallingProcedure() 'If you know the name of the sheet CalledProcedure "Sheet2" 'Or if you just want the action on the current sheet CalledProcedure ActiveSheet....

Accessing Datareader Columns using column names
Hi, I recently wrote some code and used column names to access values in the datareader, like .... string _firstName = myDr["FirstName"].ToString(); My supervisor instructed me to use index instead, like... string _firstName = myDr.getString(0); I wouldn't mind using index but whats the big deal? I can't understand why is one better than the other? Please help... "mavrick_101" <mavrick101@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:95C53499-1B9A-4F0D-9965-477FD8D2F2FA@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I recently wrote so...

named cells as sum of rows?
Hello, I am looking at a excel sheet. And see formulas suchas this =SUM((Inventory_object_FactorName="# of acquired components - simple")*(object_scope="In Scope")*(object_no_of_units)) I was looking for the named cell "Inventory_object_FactorName" However cannot find it. so I looked at the xml. and see this <NamedRange ss:Name="Inventory_object_FactorName" ss:RefersTo="=Inventory!R194C23:R343C23"/> so does this mean, a named cell can also be a range? where you wont click into a cell and see the named cell name in the "...

VBA to Open MS Excel and get Tab names
Hoping someone can help... I am trying to create some code in MS Access that will 1. Open up a specific MS Access workbook (portfolio.xlsx) 2. Loop through each Tab (currently there are 30 Tabs each with different names) 3. Set the name of the Tab to a variable in which I can access later Does anyone know how to do this? The endgame is to eventually copy the names of the tabs into a MS Access Table along with some of the data on each tab. Thanks for any help... The following procedure will open the specified Excel Workbook and return the names of all the worksheets. Yo...

Email Rejected from VERIZON and AOL (with internal doamin name ref
We have a problem, when we send to VERISON, yahoo, AOL client emails, the email does not go thru. I get the error (below) that there is a problem with SMTP communication with THEIR server. this never happened till I created a NEW DOMAIN. MY internal domian address is "companylocal.local", which the exchange picks up.(becicae) Our email is thru ISP at "user@company.com. I have made an SMTP as "user@company.com and made it the primary email address of each user Do I have to change my domain name to "Company.com" to be able to email to these compaines? and s...

can I change the cap letters of student names to lower case
see subject line hi, maybe you could be more specific but.. if the name in A1 is like SMITH then =PROPER(A1) wouild produce Smith. Regards FSt1 "user" wrote: > see subject line See help on UPPER, LOWER and PROPER functions. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 27 May 2010 16:08:22 -0700, user <user@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >see subject line ...

Subform naming convention
I have this code :- wM_Qty = Nz(DSum("[M_Qty]", "Misc", "[PartNumber]=""" & Forms!Inventory! PartNumber & """"), 0) I already put this M_Qty in the subform, so the "Forms!Inventory!PartNumber " has to follow the sub form naming convention, but I am sorry to say I don't know how to change it to subform naming... Anyone can help me? -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-formscoding/200706/1 NameOfMainForm!NameOfSubformControl.Form!NameOfControlOnSubform ...

i need to fix my server name
i need to fix my server name i cant replay massage from craiglist "daniel cartagena" <danielitodelavirgen@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:%23cBQZ8UmKHA.5728@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... >i need to fix my server name i cant replay massage from craiglist It's dangerous to get massages from craigslist!! How do you normally send email, via Yahoo's webmail? If so, see http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/original/settings/settings-10.html As a courtesy to others, please enable your spell checker and use = standard grammar conventions. --=20 Gary Va...

External Data Query, named table not available for query in copies
In Excel 2000 I have extracted data from one workbook into another using the Data > Get External Data, Databse > Excel functionality. I established a query and the desired data appears. I require multiple source/template workbooks from which I plan to run the queries, but when I copied the original source sheet and try to use the Data > Get External Data, Databse > Excel method I used previously I get an error indicating no table is defined. The table range is named the same as the original file, but Excel just doesn't seem to acknowledge it is there. Newly created test she...