mysterious backup files?

I have a shared 2002 workbook set to capture change history (when file
is saved) that seems to be creating backup files. An example of a file
name is D1342500 with no extension, type of file is "type". These
files open in excel and look like replications of the master workbook.
This is a fairly new and recent but undesirable behaviour, as we are
rapidly creating multiple 1.3 MB files on the network. Can anyone tell
me what is causing this? Thanks.
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

When xl2003 and older saves the file, it saves it as a temporary file with a
funny name (8 characters--no extension) in the same folder.

If the save is successful, xl will delete the original (or rename it to its
backup name (like "backup of book1.xlk)) and if that's successful, xl will
rename the funny named file to the original's name.

Common things that get blamed for interruptions to this process are antivirus
software poking its head in or network errors--either permissions or physical
problems.

--

Dave Peterson
0

word cannot save or create this file
i have opened a saved doc. When i re-open and edit and then "save as" new name an error: word cannot save or create this file. Check the disk is not full or write protected. This is new, how do i save? -- Browny ...

populating an Access table from a text file
A text file has data in a format like the below: Title1 Cell 1 data Title 2 Cell 2 data Title 3 Cell 3 data .. .. .. Title 10 Cell 10 data Title 11 Cell 11 data .. .. .. Title 15 Cell 15 data .. .. .. Title N Cell N data I guess I can read this using some VBA code posted at http://www.mvps.org/access/modules/mdl0057.htm and http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/readtextfile.htm, add an Instr function to it so that when I read the text file, I know when to insert the data properly in the table. 1. Is there another way I can directly import the data into an Access 2...

Problem with linked files and embeded objects in OE items
People, Has anybody stumbled upon a problem when you link a file to an OE 2002 item or embed an object in it and then when you double click it from within the item nothing happens. Thank you Do you mean Outlook or Outlook Express? OE = Outlook Express but there isn't a v2002. if you mean Outlook and are referring to tasks and other special item types, it's a known problem. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exch...

Some media files skip my Video DSP plugin
I created my video dsp plugin by visual studio 2005 and MS SDK 6.1. For more codec support I also installed K-Lite codec pack. The plugin worked fine for media files encoded in divx/xvid, but when playing WMVs, WMP didn't call any of my plugin functions. I tried to create another plugin in dual mode but result was the same. Please help... Thanks. On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 23:40:01 -0800, CCLin <CCLin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > >I created my video dsp plugin by visual studio 2005 and MS SDK 6.1. >For more codec support I also installed K-Lite codec pack. >...

Problem with modeless/non-modal file dialog on Vista
In the application I'm working on we are using a modeless file dialog. This is realized by hosting the CFileDialog instance in a separate thread: class CMyFileDialog : public CFileDialog { }; BOOL CMyFileDialogThread::InitInstance() { // the code essence: m_pwndDlg = new CMyFileDialog; m_pMainWnd = m_pwndDlg; m_pwndDlg->DoModal(); return FALSE; } The parent window of the file dialog 'm_pwndDlg' is the app's frame window. This ensures that the file dialog does not create an entry in the Windows taskbar and the file dialog is always on top of the app window. T...

Corrupt .mny file in Money 2000.
I'm pretty sure my .mny file got corrupted. When I start Money 2000, everything is normal for the first few seconds. I can see my account balances etc. Then I get a message that Windows XP must close Money and there is an error message about 'floating point division by zero'. I've tried every salvage utility I could find and nothing has worked. I've also read thru a ton of threads in this and other groups and have come up dry. I've opened a case with Microsoft, but that hasn't worked either. They just suggest to try the salvage utilities. I do have a ba...

Problem viewing 2007pptx file in 2003 involving links
I created a presentation in ppt2007 (so it's saved as .pptx). In it, I have a link to a slide that is hidden. So, you click the link on slide 10, which takes you to slide 11 which is hidden. When you click anywhere on slide 11, it takes you back to slide 10. When you click anywhere on slide 10 (other than the link), it takes you forward to slide 13. When I save the presentation down to .ppt, or even when I package to CD, and then view it on a machine without ppt2007 installed, the link does not work. Slide 11 is still hidden when viewing it on ppt2003, but the link on slide ...

Can't Restore a Password Protected File
I have never used a Passport but the Money File is password protected. I've never been able to restore a backup because it wants to use my Passport but the Passport is NOT associated with the Money File (so when I do try to use the Passport, it tells me it isn't associated...duh). I've been using Money 2003 and have now upgraded to 2005 but can't get to any of my info from the backup. I have lots of backups but can't restore ANY of them in 2003 or 2005. Help please... In microsoft.public.money, Andy wrote: > have never used a Passport but the Money File is pa...

Having 3 .set files with different ISV's and custom form modifications
Currently we have 2 seperate SQL instances for 2 different environments. We want to be able to create one environment that has 3 companies, with one .set file with customizations, and alot of ISV's; one company with customizations and 2 ISV's; and create one new company with a plain vanilla GP only 2 ISV's no customizations; We currently have the 2 instances with the first 2 set up that way and now looking to consolidate into one environment with the company dropdowns together. Will this be a pain to manage or is it even possible?? ...

Backup data
Good Morning! User wants to backup the data each time they open the application and keep 3 lastest data. I'm naming the file, plus the timestamp (date, hour, minutes, seconds). The syntax is below but Timestamp (hour,minutes,seconds) displays all zero. Since file name is not unique it overwrites into old file. Any suggestions will be appreciated. File name created "FileName070313000000.mdb" strBkp = strDir & "FileName" & Format(Date, "yymmddHhNnSs") & ".mdb" skk wrote: >Good Morning! > >User wants to backup the data ...

can a .csv file be formatted?
I have had to place all my information from a word document to a csv file. However, I notice that the formatting is not saved and the content appears in lines without any line or para breaks. The formatting is very important in the project. Each time I try to reformat, it goes back to the "non-formatted" look. Does anyone know how i can save the formatting options in a csv file? Nitha ..cvs files don't contain formatting -- Gary's Student "Nitha" wrote: > I have had to place all my information from a word document to a csv file. > However, I notice ...

Files will not open.
I loaded Pub 2003 but cannot open previous Pub 98 files. Noton Virus is not the problem as the prevoius Pub 98 files as Norton was not installed. Greetings, I wanted to provide a bit more information on my problem. I have 2 computers, one with Publisher 98 and one with Publisher 2003. I have a bunch of files made in Publisher 98 that won't open in Publisher 2003. When I try and click on a publisher file or open the file from within Publisher 2003, I get the error "Publisher cannot open the file". The files are not corrupted during the copy process, because if I copy them ba...

Can't find AutoRecover file in path specified in Options dialog.
I had a file open in Excel 2002 in which I made some changes, and then mistakenly closed without saving. But after making those changes, and before closing, it had remained open for over an hour. I'd like to recover those changes, and the path specified in the "AutoRecover save location:" text box in the Options - Save dialog tab is: C:\Documents and Settings\MyUserName\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\ However, I couldn't find a *.xls file in that directory. (The only thing in that folder is a file named Excel10.xlb and another folder named XLSTART). I don'...

cannot import pst calendar file
I have reformatted my hard drive, now attempting to import my calendar pst file. I want to try and bring my schedule into the outlook calendar file, however, the only way I can get the file to open, is to open the pst file and copy as a secondary folder in calendar. When I try to import the calendar pst file, nothing happens. Any suggestions would be appreciated. If you have the second calendar open, simply display it in a table format, then drag and drop the files to the primary calendar. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ...

Transfer files and settings from Ultimate 64 to Pro 32 fails
I wanted to transfer my files and setting from my W7 Ultimate 64 bit to my Black Friday Netbook running 32 bit Pro with Easy Transfer. Seems that doesn't work. Are there any work arounds or must I manually transfer what I need? -- Sprocket in Texas Hi, Sprocket. It should work. It worked for me. HOW are you using WET? With a transfer cable? Or a thumb drive? A network? RC -- R. C. White, CPA San Marcos, TX rc@grandecom.net Microsoft Windows MVP Windows Live Mail 2009 (14.0.8089.0726) in Win7 Ultimate x64 "Sprocket" <Sprocket@discussions.mi...

Incompatible backup
Hi,I am currently using Money2003 and have purchased 2004 version to use. I have used Money since 1998 and am familiar with restore from backup disk but cannot do it from 03 to 04 it says the file is incompatible. has anyone else found this? Any solutions/ideas on how to get around it? Thanks, In microsoft.public.money, <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi,I am currently using Money2003 and have purchased 2004 >version to use. I have used Money since 1998 and am >familiar with restore from backup disk but cannot do it >from 03 to 04 it says the file is i...

How do I enable Backup Wizard
Hi, I have backed up my computer to my external hard drive several times before by going to control panel, performance & maintenence, backup data - at which point the Wizard pops up. Today when I click 'backup data" I get the little hour glass for a few seconds but the Wizard screen never comes up. I have tried going through Start - accesories- system tools - backup - but still nothing. If the Wizard was somehow disabled, how can I reenable it. My system is Windows xp media center version 2005. What could have happened to the backup wizard? I can't find ...

Personal setting files for Home and Student?
Where can I locate the personal setting files for MS Home and Student? I am formatting and reinstalling MS H&S. Will need the same for Excel and Powerpoint also. See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/FilesToBackup.htm. In addition, if you're using Office 2007, you may have customized files in these folders: %appdata%\Microsoft\Document Building Blocks and subfolders %appdata%\Microsoft\UProof %appdata%\Microsoft\Word\Startup There may be similar advice for the other Office programs, so ask in their forums too. -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP ...

cannot save word file except tmp
I opened a word file I already worked before and updated and saved it - it is normal so far. After keeping working for a while, when I tried to save it, I got a message saying I cannot save it. The existing file name, while it is still open and i am working now, is suddenly changed to "xxxx.tmp". I had to save as with other name. I used MS Word 2007 Enterprise and worked under 2007 Office Groove. Any comments are welcome. Thanks, ...

Play .wav file inside outlook?
We have a new voice messaging system that will trigger an email whenever a new message comes in, with that message as a .wav attachment. I would like to play my messages directly inside of outlook (right now, you have to open the wav attachment in whatever the designated MIME program is for audio, which can be very slow). Is anyone aware of any add-ins or other workarounds that would allow for simple (play, stop) audio controls inside emails what have .wav attachments? Thanks in advance, John Check with your VM vendor. Cisco Unity, for example, provides the ViewMail app to do just that....

how do i delete a file from recent documents file in excel
can anyone help how do i delete a heading from recent documents file i have deleted figures from actual page but cannot get heading to go iknow how to do with xp but not with vista many thanks XP and Vista are MS Operating Systems. This is an MS Office Excel news group. Are you sure you want to be here? If you mean the recently used file list in Excel 2007 Office Button>Excel Options>Advanced>Display Change Show recent documents list to 0 and OK All recent documents are gone. Go back in and change back to whatever you want. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 6 Mar 2009 08:...

Matching two excel files
Wondering whether it's possible to match an excel data file to another to find what data lines (content is names & addresses) are the same i both files. Is this possible in excel -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Yes it's possible but you need to be much more specific as to exactly what you wnat to do. Where is the data located? What do want to do with the data? Biff >-----Original Message----- >Wondering whether it's possible to match an excel data file to another, >to find what data lines (content is names & addresses) are the same in >...

How do I import OE .dbx files into outlook?
Old machine crashed but had fortunately backed up data, including important OE .dbx files. How do I import these .dbx files into outlook (no longer have OE) so I can access the content? Simon wrote: > Old machine crashed but had fortunately backed up data, including important > OE .dbx files. > > How do I import these .dbx files into outlook (no longer have OE) so I can > access the content? Why do you no longer have OE on the old machine that crashed that we are to assume where you will reinstall the same version of Windows that before had OE? See http...

Frequent file corruption in the documents and setting area
Since a month or so, I have frequent messages 'corrupted file, run chkdsk' after booting. The files concerned are ALWAYS in the 'documents and setting' directory, often temp files, or Norton 360 files. I am quite positive that the disk itself is sane (only 1 raw sector is reallocated in SMART). Any idea from what area could the problem come ? I do have units up to K (2 physical units), and only this directory ever get corrupted on G (system XP pro) Thanks -- Jean Paulo "Jean-Paulo" <jean.paulo@free.fr> responded in News item ...

How do I restore a deleted File Menu button in Publisher?
All Menus have a File and Tools Menu button from which one then makes more selections relating to these respective buttons. Somehow i have deleted these two major buttons on the Publisher Menu bar and don't know how to restore them. Help? I have tried everything I can think of. I feel very silly... What version Publisher? In early versions of Publisher there are only two options, standard and formatting. In 2003 and 2002 right-click the any tool bar, click customize, scroll down to built-in menus, drag file and tools to the menu bar. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsof...