multiple match from a column

hai every body.
i m in a real bad fix.
i have a column containing names and other column containig their respective
datas. i made a function that when i will enter any name i will get the
datas. but the loop hole is that i will have to enter the name exactly as in
the data sheet. now i want that if i have two names eg: joe and john and only
if i enter jo i shall get both the match.
is this possible.
please help.
thanks in advance.
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Can't say because you don't give any indication what type of 'function' you
'made' - that can make a big difference. However, there are at least 3 ways
I would go without needing a function at all:

1- Use Edit>Find. Type jo* into the Find What: box & check the box for
'Match entire cell contents', click Find Next or Find All for a list,

2- Click in the list & Use the Data>Filter>AutoFilter: Click the button for
the Name field, select (Custom) & type jo* into the top right criteria
field, click OK to get a collapsed list of records whose name begins with
jo, or

3- Click in the list & use Data>Form: Click the Criteria button & type jo in
the Name field, then click Find Next to navigate through the matching
records.

If you need to have the found records copied to another location you might
also investigate the Data>Filter>Advanced Filter.
--
HTH |:>)
Bob Jones

"arun_bhilai" <arunbhilai@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hai every body.
> i m in a real bad fix.
> i have a column containing names and other column containig their
> respective
> datas. i made a function that when i will enter any name i will get the
> datas. but the loop hole is that i will have to enter the name exactly as
> in
> the data sheet. now i want that if i have two names eg: joe and john and
> only
> if i enter jo i shall get both the match.
> is this possible.
> please help.
> thanks in advance.

0
CyberTaz
10/31/2006 2:00:54 PM
thanks buddy for the help.
but what exactly i need is some thing different. the formula i have used is
INDEX(CONTACTS!B3:C200,MATCH(C5,CONTACTS!B3:B200,0),2)
here my name list along with the datas is on a sheet called CONTACTS and i
enet the name to find out on a seperate sheet called INFO C5.
basically what i want is that if there are entries as JOE and JOHN and i
only enter JO in INFO C5 i shall get both the matches and then when i select
the name that i need i shall get all the data.
i hope that this time i had told the problem more specifically.
i greatly appereciate the help i got from yur side.
thanks dear.

aligning small #s in wide columns
FYI - Just something I found interesting and hadn't seen discussed. I see lots of spreadsheets where users insert empty columns to help align small numbers under a wide column heading. To avoid that I used to do use a custom number format that used a "_W_W" placeholder at the end to push the numbers left in the column An alternative is to use a General or Number numeric format combined with right aligning the number - then indenting the number as any times as needed. Each indent moves the number farther to the left. I've thrown an extra 'RtAlign' style inco...

how do I justify columns and avoid huge gaps?
It would be a good idea to include something in the body of your message to describe the problem and not just a brief subject line. Also, without adequate information as to the problem it's difficult to provide a meaningful answer. However, most of the problems I've seen regarding columns has to due with ragged alignment which is caused by the fact that proportional spaces fonts vary in width compared to a fixed width font such as Courier and then trying to space over using the spacebar. To align columns properly tab stops must be used and not the spacebar. The table function...

Columns #9
Hi, Column A stored Lastname and firstname. I would like to separate it becomes two columns: One for firstname and one for lastname so that I don't have to retype all first name or last name in B and C columns. t Ex: A B C Beth.Hellmer Beth Hellmer Thanks Chi you can select the column then go to data & thereafter select text to columns, after this u have to just click the area from where u want to segreate into different field "Chi" wrote: >...

Multiple columns in stack graph
Hi, I have four pieces of data which I wish to stack in two columns, I can only manage to create a graph with one colum containing all four pieces of data. For example: North Rep1 - jan05 - feb05 - mar05 - etc Rep2 - jan05 - feb05 - mar05 - etc South Rep3 - jan05 - feb05 - mar05 - etc Rep4 - jan05 - feb05 - mar05 - etc By month, I would like to see two columns, one containing north and one containing south. (North is a stack of reps 1 & 2, south of reps 3 & 4). I hope this makes sense, and someone can help me. Thank you Amanda Set up your data such that there are three ro...

text to columns
Just tried it again ... and IT WORKS !!? I am totally speechless. THANKS ! Natha -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Not only do newsgroups improve communication skills, they also provide an alternate means of communication Too bad about your voice, hope you recover shortly <grin>. "judoist >" <<judoist.17ulb4@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote > I am totally speechless. > THANKS ! ...

Set column width in centimeters
Hi, Is there any way to set the width of a column such that the column will = take a specified, fixed amount of space on the printout? All I can find is 'points' or 'characters'. What should I do to set the = width in centimeters or inches ? TIA, Jaap. This has to do with screen size vs screen resolution, workbook zoom, printer zoom, ... This said, see mr Erlandsens page http://www.erlandsendata.no/english/index.php?d=envbawssetrowcolumnmm -- HTH. Best wishes Harald Followup to newsgroup only please. "Jaap" <no@thank.you.invalid> wrote in message news:c...

Count cells matching two criteria (DATE & TEXT)
Hi, I work for a Truancy Reduction Center. We receive referrals from over 50 schools in the district for kids who are truant. We'd like to know the number of referrals a specific school sent us during a specific month. Referral Dates are in F4:F500 and School Names are G4:G500. This is what I've been trying: =SUMPRODUCT(--(TEXT('Client Log 09-10'!f4:f500,"yyyymm")="200910"),--('Client Log 09-10'!G4:G500="pacifica")) These functions work separately, but don't seem to want to play together. I just read a suggested relat...

Extract trades that do NOT match the other table

Multiple pies of pie
When I create a pie of pie chart, it creates one primary chart and one secondary chart. Is there a way to create multiple secondary charts if I want to call out two slices of the original pie? Thanks. The way to do this, if you have to use pie charts, is to make several regular charts, one for the main pie and one for each subsidiary pie: http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=471 (scroll 2/3 of the way down) - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "aths...

Summing multiple tables
I am trying to use a query to sum up multiple tables. When run, it should have like 14 fields with each having a sum total for a table. I have tried doing this up to 3 tables (took a long while), but it didn't work for 4 tables; I just get a blank observation in the query view. So my questions are if there is a way to do this for 14 tables and if this will take up a lot of memory? Thanks, Henry Since each of these tables is independent of the others, you should be using 14 queries. What is the point of doing the summation in a single query? If you are doing this for a report or ...

Working with multiple files/workbooks cross linked
Hi, It seems that the dozen workbooks I have created and the cross sharing of nformation with some single filesworkbook sharing several other files / workbooks need to have the files all open otherwise the paths seems to get a bit mixed up. Is there a way then that will open all files related to a group when I want to work on a particular set of files but as mentioned get ALL the oher files/ workbooks open to ensure the links all work corretly? Thanks Mike Here is an example with three workbooks: first.xls second.xls third.xls Let's say that if one of the files is opened, we wa...

What`s the easiest way to share a calendar for multiple users?
Hi, I have som trouble implementing a shared calendar in Exchange 2003. Would be very grateful for any hints & tips. Jannis Jacobsen Create a public folder with calendar items, easiest way to do this in via an Outlook client, then grant your users/groups permissions to the public folder calendar. Hope this helps -- Melissa Travers, MCSE Microsoft Exchange Support Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup purposes only. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Jannis Jacobsen" <jannis@dec...

Multiple copies of same email
Hi, I am using the following configuration: + Outlook 2000 + IMAP I am receiving multiple copies of the same email message. The behaviour is very odd. The first copy of the message is a bit of an anomoly and it includes several copies of the 'To' and 'CC' lines. The second copy is correct and contains only one copy of the 'To' and 'CC' lines. If I delete either message, Outlook flags the 'correct' one as deleted. The 'anomoly' eventually gets updated and becomes flagged as deleted. If I might guess, it seems that the server contains only on...

database to edit multiple sections of different documents
Hello everyone, Post is kinda long but I really need some help on this one. Any input that can be provided would be great. here is what is going on. For my job i have to edit multiple statements of work. these are documents that have different sections describing the work i will do for a client. Usually when i change one section in a document i have to open up 10 other documents and copy and paste the same verbiage into a section within those documents. this process is getting very time consuming. I had a great idea the other day and started to create a access database that essentially...

Matching signature to profile
I have multiple profiles and multiple signatures. I would like to match the signature to the profile. However, the setting for the signature seems to cut across the profile. I have to remember to set the signature each time I change the profile, otherwise the wrong signature gets atached. Can this be done automatically? I am using Outlook 2002. TIA Nope not in Outlook 2002. Outlook 2003 does have account specific signatures though. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed wit...

Can't forward to Multiple recipients after deleting ebk.chk after restore
I am having a problem after i delete the ebk.chk file after my exchange 5.5 server went down. What i did was, i delete ebk.chk file because the Information system store services would not start. After moving the ebk.chk files out services start to work again. I got everything up and running except forwarding to mulitple people with attachments. The message that i get is "System Administrator, None of your e-mail accounts could send to this recipient" Any help with this will be greatly appreciate it ...

Sorting columns.
Hi all, I have a spreadsheet with about 300 tabs. Some have data in Column A only, some have data in Column A through Column IV. I want to have a Macro that will go through each tab and move everything into Column A on that tab. So, any data in Column B gets moved underneath the data in Column A. Then any data in Column C will be moved underneath the data from Column A and Column B, in Column A, etc. Then, I'd like the macro to delete any blank lines on each tab. (There will be lots of them). I've tried to do this but my way has created a macro that is now a over a thousa...

using vlookup to find exact match
Hi, I have two spreadsheets with same field called IDs. I want to know whether the IDs in the ID column of the first sheet is in the ID column of the second. I want to create a new column on the first sheet to return Yes/No depending on the result. I think I could use vlookup formula but have no idea how. Can anyone help me? Thank you! -- Message posted via http://www.officekb.com Janice One way: =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A:A,1,FALSE)),"no","yes") and drag down. Assumes your ID column is column A on both sheets. Regards Trevor "Janice Lee via OfficeKB.com&...

How do I change my x-y scatter chart to show my column x values i.
I have fairly long columns of x and Y values. The x values range form 3039 to 3257 and the y values from 1.9 to 0.85. When I plot these on an x-y scatter charts the X values come out as 0 to 250 instead of with the 3000 value range. In another similar set of columns I get exactly what I want with the x axis rangeing from 3000 to 3300. I cannot figure out why one set works right but the other does not. What should I do to correct the first chart to the x range I need? Hi, Make sure that the incorrect chart is infact an xy-scatter and not a line chart. Right click the chart and check th...

Append multiple columns
I have a time consuming task and was trying to find a way to append multiple columns of data (with blank cells) under column "A". Currently the columns have data out to column "M", but this may increase or decrease. From: A B C etc. Thru Column "M" 1 Data1 2 Data 2 3 Data 3 Data X 4 Data 4 Data Z 5 Data 5 6 Data 6 Data Y Into: A B C etc. Thru Column "M" 1 Data1 2 Data 2 3 Data 3 4 D...

Search and replace multiple values
All; Need to do a search and replace on multiple values: 06 - Phase VI would be replaced by O, 08 - Won would be replaced by W, 09 - Lost would be replaced by L, 10 - Cancelled by Gov't would be replaced by C I've looked for formulas, but what I've turned up is multiple values to one value e.g. $ or - to blank. Any help would be appreciated! Well, the easiest way would be: Ctrl+F > Replace > Find what (type in your criteria) > Replace with (type in your criteria) > Replace All. -- Ryan--- If this information was helpful, please indicate this by c...

deleted 2 columns by mistake
I have deleted 2 columns of info and have saved - is there anything I can do ! argh! Only if you're on a company network or suchlike that backs it up, otherwise if you overwrite the file, that's it I'm afraid, Sorry, Alan. "Lang8er" <Lang8er@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:32D94955-47A5-4B96-8A1D-3F09235FD761@microsoft.com... >I have deleted 2 columns of info and have saved - is there anything I can >do > ! argh! scream & yell? afraid not! "Lang8er" <Lang8er@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:32D9...

Title Column
Hi all. simple question.... how would i go about making column A title column so when i move along, say to column z i can still see th titles in column A. :confused -- jhome ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jhomer's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2397 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=37596 Select column B Window>Freeze panes Does that help? Ron -- Ron Coderre ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Ron Coderre's Profile: htt...

multiple pcs accessing one backend on a file share
We have setup a new linux box for basic file sharing and I noticed a problem with connecting to our msaccess backend... Only one user can connect, the other users can't because they can't lock the file/it's already in use. This was never a problem if the backend was on a windows box. Are there ANY workarounds to this problem? Workaround being anything but putting the backend on a windows pc. On Sep 15, 4:53 am, "ZenMasta" <m...@nospam.com> wrote: > We have setup a new linux box for basic file sharing and I noticed a problem > with connecting to our ms...

Median of column I if column A numbers match
I'm using the 2007 version of Excel. I have a worksheet with 13,000 lines of data. Column A is titled ITEM and column I is titled PRICE. I need to find the Median number of column I when the numbers in column A are the same. I have 2000 unique ITEM numbers. When the ITEM number in several rows match, I need a formula to find the Median value of the PRICE. So if A2, A3, A4 ... A20, and A21 all have the same ITEM number, then I need the formula to find the Median number of I2, I3, I4 ... I20, and I21. I've messed around with IF functions and can't seem to get...