MS paramater Query on ODBC Table

------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C38C4D.5F11AC30

Is it possible to and if so how can I run a parameter driven MS query on =
an ODBC database table?

I want to be able to enter some info into a cell on a spreadsheet and =
have a query run to pull back other info relating to my entry.

--=20
Regards Dean=20
dkso@ntlworld.com=20
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dkso

------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C38C4D.5F11AC30

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Is it possible to and if so how can I =
run a=20
parameter driven MS query on an ODBC database table?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I want to be able to enter some info =
into a cell on=20
a spreadsheet and have a query run to pull back other info relating to =
my=20
entry.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<DIV><BR>-- <BR>Regards Dean <BR><A=20
href=3D"mailto:dkso@ntlworld.com">dkso@ntlworld.com</A> <BR><A=20
href=3D"http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dkso">http://homepage.ntlworld.com/d=
kso</A></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C38C4D.5F11AC30--

0
dkso (36)
10/6/2003 8:04:03 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

In MS Query, specify a condition in square brackets [ and ]

When tested in MS Query, you will be asked to provide a value.

When you return to XL, XL will give you three choices: (1) use a 'hard
coded' value, (2) provide the value each time, or (3) use the contents
of a specific cell.  For the last option, you will also have a choice
to run the query automatically every time the cell contents change.

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article <ZXjgb.1490$ux4.865@newsfep3-gui.server.ntli.net>,
dkso@ntlworld.com says...
> Is it possible to and if so how can I run a parameter driven MS query on an ODBC database table?
>
> I want to be able to enter some info into a cell on a spreadsheet and have a query run to pull back other info relating to my entry.

Try the use of SQL in VBA.
Something like:

Sub GetData()
 Myvar = [Sheet1!A1]

 Select something
 From somewhere
 Where condition = Myvar
End Sub
--
PeterS

"Dean Southgate" <dkso@ntlworld.com> schreef in bericht
Is it possible to and if so how can I run a parameter driven MS query on an ODBC database table?

I want to be able to enter some info into a cell on a spreadsheet and have a query run to pull back
other info relating to my entry.
--
Regards Dean

---
Peter's mail is certified 100% Virus Free.

PeterS

MS Money 2006 and Money for PPC
I have installed MS Money2006 trial version and microsoft money for Pocket PC, Windows Mobile 5 operative system,device i-mate JASJAR. i can't sinchronize both money data pn PC and PPC and all the time ther is window with message "reading device databases". With Windows Mobile 2003 SE with same softwares there was no problems. I'm using also ZoneAlarm Firewall. If somebody know solution, I will appreciate it! Thanks in advance. Davor Opic P.S. Please, if you want, answer on my email addres: davor.opic@po.htnet.hr ...

How to obtain the name of ODBC definition used in a spreadsheet?
How do I get the name of the ODBC def used in my spreadsheet? How do I migrate my spreadsheet (with the ODBC connection) to a different computer and change the name of the ODBC def to a new name, available on the new computer? best regards evds@tekton-it.be ...

MS-Outlook BCC disable
Hi, Could you please tell how to restrict/block users from sending BCC. I've tried Office Resource Kit System Policy Editor & under it 1) I used OUTLK9.adm 2) MS Outlook 2000 - Disable Items In User Interface ...

MS Word Drop-Down list linked to outside source?
I was wondering if it is possible to link a word drop down list to an outside source such as an Excel list or and Access table. My Scenario: I have created 70+ locked templates that use some similiar drop down lists. These lists include Judges, Lawyers, and Arbitrators names that can change monthly. So i was looking for a better solution than me editing every drop down list on each template. I would like to be able to link a drop down list to say an MS Access table and so i can just edit the table and each drop down would just pull the info from that. Is this possible...

Temp Table cache
I am trying to figure out what this person is talking about: The main goal of temp table cache is to reduce the costs associated with temp table creation. The second temp table creation is much faster. Instead of dropping and creating the table we simply truncate it. All indexes and statistics are truncated and identity column values are reset. The following script demonstrates the performance impact of temp table cache. I'm executing two stored procs in a loop (10000 times). The temp table in the first stored proc is not cached (because the index is created outside of the CR...

Union Query Results
I have a Union Query combining the results of 5 Select Querys. It works great accept for the Item Field (found in each Select Query), which is returning it's numeric primary key, instead of the realated text Item Name. The Select Querys return the text value. Any ideas? Many Thanks, David. On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 17:54:00 -0700, DCH <DCH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a Union Query combining the results of 5 Select Querys. It works >great accept for the Item Field (found in each Select Query), which is >returning it's numeric primary key, instead of t...

Excel2000: Can't access an Excel table though ODBC anymore!
Hi I have an Excel file on shared network resource. I have several dynamic named ranges defined there, and 2 fixed named ranges Name1=Sheet1!$B$2:$F$2999 Name2=Sheet2!$A$1:$E$400 In another workbook, I have to query data from table Name2. When I created the query, all worked fine, but now I discovered, that the query isn't working when the source workbook is closed. With closed source workbook, I can see only one named range - Name1 - as data source available. I use ODBC queries quite often, and there never was such problem before, so at moment I am at my wit's end! I'm waiting...

Count records in a query
Hello! I have a query that runs pretty slow, and I'd like to alert the user before running the query. So I have a source query for my slow query, and I'd like to count the records in my source query and estimate the time the query will take to run. How can I do this in VBA? -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-modules/201005/1 DCount("*","Your Source Query Name") This will give you the number of records in the Query "AtleDreier via AccessMonster.com" wrote: > Hello! >...

Calculate age as of date in other table
I have a DOB field in table1 and an Age field in table1 as well. In table2, I have a field that contains a date that respondents answered specific questionnaires. For historical purposes, I would like to capture the age of the person at the time one questionnaire in particular was answered in the Age field of table1. I'm not sure how to go about this, especially since I need the questionnaire date to be for a specific questionnaire, i.e. questionnaireID 05 specifically. I have searched high and low and can't seem to find anything like this. Any help would be greatly apprecia...

MS Access, software app or a System?
There is a debate among our security people. Some say that MS Access is a software app, others considered a system and needs to be CNA`d. I say its a software app. Any thoughts. Now here's a debate! I'd say it is an App which is used to build systems... One way or another, if you use it to house sensitive information then you need to take steps to secure it's access. But on a closed LAN with proper security in place, problems should be minimal. It will be very interesting to see what others say on this matter. -- Hope this helps, Daniel Pineault http://ww...

MS Exchange 2003
If accidently deleted an user's account with mailbox. After re-create the user account, how to recover the user mailbox? Em Yeu wrote: > If accidently deleted an user's account with mailbox. > After re-create the user account, how to recover the user mailbox? Open the System Manager then drill down to the respective Mailbox Store > Mailboxes. Right-click the Mailboxes container and select Run Cleanup Agent, then find the mailbox in the right pane (indicated by a red X) right-click it and select Reconnect. -- Henrik Walther Exchange MVP Exchange-faq.dk MSExchange.org ...

Outlook 98 Calendar and MS Exchange SBS2000
Whenever "User A" accepts an invitation made through the Calendar function of MS Outlook 98, the answer of course is sent back to the inviting person. But also 3 other users, without any apparent reason, receive the acceptation message. There are no "Outlook rules" set up at all, and the 3 receiving users don't belong to an existing group or alias. They have in common though that they all worked in a team headed by "User A" though, but there is no apparent IT related instance or setup reflecting that common aspect of them. How can we get rid of this ...

Problem with a form, a listbox, an sql query and a subroutine
Hello, I’m having an interesting problem with a form and hope I can adequately explain it. Here goes. I have 5 objects 1. Form1 2. Listbox1 (in Form1) 3. Some sql code that is in Listbox1 4. Table1 5. MySub1 Form1 is the main form that does some tasks I need to accomplish Form1 contains Listbox1. Listbox1 gets data from Table1 using an SQL query that links to Table1 Every time Form1 loads, the Form Load subroutine runs and that sub runs MySub1 which is located in a module, and is supposed to update Table1. the update is accomplished by deleting all the data in Table 1 and then re...

query with insert but how
Hello everybody, I have two tables with this structure: table1: 1) ID (Counter + primary 2) lfd_nr (integer) 3) Field1 (Text) Table2: 1) ID (Integer) 2) lfd_nr (integer) 3) Field1 (Text) ID from the first and second table are in 1:n Relation Now I would like to insert the records from the first table where lfd_nr=1 in the same table with lfd_nr=2. Further I would like to insert the records from the second table where lfd_nr=1 in the same table with lfd_nr=2 but so that the ID-field in new records (lfd_nr=2) corresponds the ID-field in the first table where lfd_nr=1. Please help! Mario ...

How do I modify the tables etc. behind a switchboard?
Hi guys, I have inherited a database which uses a switchboard (which opens automatically)and can't figure out how to edit/modify the tables etc. on which it is based. There are no (obvious) options in the file menu, nor on the switchboard itself. I'm using Windows XP/Access 2003. Many thanks Phil Hit the F11 key to show the database window. -- hth, SusanV "geordie_phil" <geordiephil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B2241BD4-B037-4590-95E4-E81BD4B27701@microsoft.com... > Hi guys, > > I have inherited a database which uses a switchb...

Re: Pivot table displayed by day of the week
Hi Debs Forgot to mention that I had already formatted my DAY column in the data set as Custom=>ddd. Same result, not sure whether TEXT evlauates quicker than WEEKDAY, but it does save having to remeber to format the source column. -- Regards Roger Govier "Roger Govier" <roger@technologyNOSPAM4u.co.uk> wrote in message news:... > Hi Dan > > One way would be to introduce an extra column to your data headed DAY. > In this column enter the formula =WEEKDAY(A2) changing the reference to > be that of the column containing your dates. > Copy the formula d...

MS-Access In-Process Excel OLE activated window size
Hi, In MS-Access 2003, I displayed an excel file inside the OLE in a access form. When activating the OLE the excel sheet is activated and its width & height cannot be controlled to specific values programmatically. I tried with CROP/ZOOM/STRETCH options, nothing works fine. Can you please help me in controlling the hatch frame size after activation for of In-Process frame. ...

Locking rows, locking columns etc like MS Excel template
Found a template on Microsoft's site that it perfect for what I want t accomplish. Onlly thing is, I need to duplicate it to fit my needs. The template I'm refering to is: "Job applicant data and comparison table" found at: Templates > Microsoft Office Programs > Excel > Business > Huma Resources try the following link if interested: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/CT011356681033.aspx This brings about a lot of newbie questions to try to achieve thi exact layout. 1. how do I lock the top rows (title and column headings) so that whe I scroll the page...

Can't see "Items to Review" with MS Money Plus Deluxe
I've been using MS Money for years and this weekend downloaded, installed and activated Money Plus Deluxe. Now, suddenly, I cannot see downloaded "Items to review" in my checking account register. Each morning, I visit the Bank of America website and download checking account transactions. I save this as an .ofx file, then import the file into Money (File/Import/Downloaded Statement). That all works fine; the file is successfully imported (I know that because I can see there are 5 items to review in the upper left corner of the Account Register screen). The problem is th...

Select Queries in Macro
Hi I have created a Macro with 20+ "Select Queries". When the Macro is run with the "OpenQuery" action, because these are "Select Queries" it is opening all of them in several windows. I want to either : 1. Run these queries without opening a window 2. Close all query windows after the Macro is complete. I know that its odd to have so many "Select Queries" - I didn't create the database, so rather than start from scratch I'd like to clean it up a bit. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks. What is the purpose of openning a select query and...

Grab a value from a label to put for critera for attached query
Let me give a little background of table/query structure. I have a query that pulls jobs due Today-now() whose frequency is for today. I have table with the following fields. Job#, Location(ie.what Plant & Floor), Room(ie. mens washroom, storage room, etc.), job Desc., Frequency, est. time, resp.. This table ties in to create a query with another table - Cleaning(when the jobs are actually carried out) Cleaningid, Date Done, Who did the job) and grabs the other fields from the other table. Here goes what I need to get: The people on the floor will have a MAP of the floor ( Form)...

calc date of birth in query 06-13-07
I have query contain 2 fields date of birth and today date and on calculated field name calcdateofbirth I want to know the the date of birth of any body by year and month i can use this expression to calc the date of birth by year only like this expression: calcdateofbirth: DateDiff("yyyy";[dateofbirth];[todaydate]) I want to calcdateofbith by year and month in query thank you a wrote: >I have query contain 2 fields date of birth and today date and on calculated >field name calcdateofbirth >I want to know the the date of birth of any body by year and month >i can ...

how do you insert pictures into tables?
I want to make a table with the first row being the "Header". On the next row, I want to be able to insert a picture in the cell that will automatically format the cell to the size of the picture. Does that make sense? I basically want a placeholder for the picture but I want it INSIDE the table and I can not get it to do that. Thanks so much for your help and suggestions! With your cursor in the cell, fill, fill effects, picture tab. This will put the picture in the cell, Publisher does not automatically format the image to the cell size. You can manually resize the cell....

Linking forms field and table field .
Dear All, I have a form but i could not move to the next record and even i could n't save the records to the table. How can a table and a form fields can be linked.I'm encountering #Name error. Can anybody look out the form and advise me. Help is deeply welcome. Rgds, Aligahk06 aligahk06, >> How can a table and a form fields can be linked. A form can have, as it's RecordSource, a table, or a query Most times, it's a query. Place your cursor in your form's RecordSource textbox, and click the arrow that appears on the right. Using th...

One Input, Two Input Data Tables.
Dear Colleagues Thank you very much for being close to us through this tool, even thousand of miles are separating us. I have contacted you before and you were too kind for resolution and response. Please advise us with visual basic macro in case that the user would like to use "Data - Table" to include one equation. The equation contain more than one variable in the Row Input Cell, and more than one variable in Column Input Cell. A short response only for the Article Number for easy reference to find the article will be greatly appreciated. YOU MAY HAVE ANOTHER TOOL TO...