Moving Range Problem

Hi all,

I'm trying to build a 6 Sigma control chart into an excel workbook. In
order to do this i need to be able to work out a formula for the moving
range.

I need the following :
Eg
 Data sample :       210 , 425 , 600 , 550 , 450 , 470
 The moving range is the distance from second to the first, third to
the second etc  eg

                            A       B      C      D      E      F
 Data Sample       210 , 425 , 600 , 550 , 450 , 470
 Moving Range              215,  175 ,   50 ,  100 ,  20

The problem I'm having is trying to get excel to work it out. If say
210 was in A1 i could use
b1 - a1 = moving range (215) simple, but it would only work if the next
sample in the line is greater than the last. I can't end up with a
minus figure

EG   D1-C1 = -50

Tricky one so i'm hoping someone out there can help.

Cheers
Lee

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi

You could use a MAX function:
=MAX(B1-A1,0)

Andy.

"Hutchy" <lee.hutchinson@vodafone.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to build a 6 Sigma control chart into an excel workbook. In
> order to do this i need to be able to work out a formula for the moving
> range.
>
> I need the following :
> Eg
> Data sample :       210 , 425 , 600 , 550 , 450 , 470
> The moving range is the distance from second to the first, third to
> the second etc  eg
>
>                            A       B      C      D      E      F
> Data Sample       210 , 425 , 600 , 550 , 450 , 470
> Moving Range              215,  175 ,   50 ,  100 ,  20
>
> The problem I'm having is trying to get excel to work it out. If say
> 210 was in A1 i could use
> b1 - a1 = moving range (215) simple, but it would only work if the next
> sample in the line is greater than the last. I can't end up with a
> minus figure
>
> EG   D1-C1 = -50
>
> Tricky one so i'm hoping someone out there can help.
>
> Cheers
> Lee

0
Andy
5/18/2006 9:54:47 AM
=ABS(D1-C1)

Et voil�!

--
AP

"Hutchy" <lee.hutchinson@vodafone.com> a �crit dans le message de news:
1147945678.579043.183520@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to build a 6 Sigma control chart into an excel workbook. In
> order to do this i need to be able to work out a formula for the moving
> range.
>
> I need the following :
> Eg
> Data sample :       210 , 425 , 600 , 550 , 450 , 470
> The moving range is the distance from second to the first, third to
> the second etc  eg
>
>                            A       B      C      D      E      F
> Data Sample       210 , 425 , 600 , 550 , 450 , 470
> Moving Range              215,  175 ,   50 ,  100 ,  20
>
> The problem I'm having is trying to get excel to work it out. If say
> 210 was in A1 i could use
> b1 - a1 = moving range (215) simple, but it would only work if the next
> sample in the line is greater than the last. I can't end up with a
> minus figure
>
> EG   D1-C1 = -50
>
> Tricky one so i'm hoping someone out there can help.
>
> Cheers
> Lee

0
ardus.petus (319)
5/18/2006 10:33:23 AM
Just a thought, but have you looked at the tools menu,  under data
analysis - this includes a moving average tool

Perfect, cheers