Missing or Invalid References with binary compatible DLL

We have many spreadsheets using a common library developed and
maintained in house.
We rollout changes to this DLL by startup scripts which deregister
replace and re-register the DLL in C:\library which is common to all
workstations.  We nearly always enforce BINARY COMPATIBILITY for
obvoius reasons.

We also use this library in VB6 and C# console and GUI applications.
These apps all work fine and recognise new library perfectly when we
rollout.

Yet EXCEL workbooks randomly (apparently) report MISSING DLL or fail
executing methods of the DLL.  This varies and is not consistent
across all workstations.  When this occurs we de-reference and re-
reference the workbook in question and that solves the problem.  It
has happened on the most trivial of DLL changes, for example when we
just changed a private variable to public.  The GUID is always the
same.

We also have a workbook which scans all the network folders and
refreshes the reference on all spreadsheets which use the DLL.  But
this is very kludgy and risky and we are reluctant to do things this
way.

How can we identify the Excel/Registry issue and either avoid the
problem altogether or anticipate which spreadsheets may be affected
and why?  Has anybody managed to solve this issue?
What does Excel retain about the DLL that causes it to think the DLL
is missing?
What is different about Excel's handling of references compared with
the VB6 and C# apps?

THank you for help..

0
laogui32 (1)
8/20/2007 2:10:01 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Outlook 2000
The accept, decline, and tentative buttons are missing when I receive a meeting request. The request comes through as a regular email message. I have searched the knowledge base and I can't find anything for 2000 using exchange server. Thank you. ...

asp.net ListView control
Hello, after creating/configuring a ListView with a SQLDataSource and running it successfully in the IE browser, when coming back to design mode the 'Configure ListView...' option disappears. Does anyone know why this happens and is there a setting to prevent it from disappearing? Thanks in advance. ...

Optional Data Series & Missing Data in dynamic ranges?
Excel2000 Example file: http://www.mattkruse.com/temp/chart.xls I'm not new to Excel, but two things have always bugged me and I've never taken the time to figure out the correct answers. Can anyone help? 1) In the example file above, I have place-holders for 2 sets of data in my chart. Is it possible to tell the chart NOT to plot a data series if it doesn't contain any values? In other words, I'd like the chart to optionally show 4 lines, if the data exists. But if data only exists for 1 line, don't show the others in the legend at all. Possible? 2) In the example file,...

reference to closed workbook
the INDIRECT formula will not pull values from a closed workbook, wha is a solution to this? I am trying to reference a cell in a closed workbook on a sheet tha has the same name as the active sheet, so I want to be able to us MID(CELL("filename"),FIND("]",CELL("filename"))+1,255) in the referenc to the other workbook... thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com "buckyduke >wrote... > INDIRECT formula will not pull values from a closed workbook, what > is a solution to this? > > I am trying to reference a cell in a closed wor...

Minimum and maximum value of Axis set by user by reference to form
Excel seems to have 2 alternatives for defining the min/ max value of an axis: either automatically or preset by the user. But is there any way that the minimum and maximum value that the axis is defined by the user based on the values of the spreadsheet (i.e., halfway between the above two apparent options provided by microsoft)? Yes, you can tie axis values to worksheet cells via a macro. The process is described via the link below . . . http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AxisScaleLinkToSheet.html -- John Mansfield http://cellmatrix.net "jonny" wrote: > Excel se...

Problem with MFC application that uses win32.dll file
Hello, (I'm using Microsoft Visual Studio C++ 6.0) I made win32.dll file-CppAIRPlug.dll with these project properties: - precomplied header - automatically - run- time library - Debug/Multithreaded DLL (depending of prepocessor definitions) - not using MFC classes After that I made testing of CppAIRPlug.dll functions by making win32 Console application. I included static library CppAIRPlug.lib and folder with header files and it worked without any problems. (win32 application properties were the same one as in project where I made CppAIRPlug). Next step is to integrate use CppAIRPlug....

CDialog crashing in an MFC DLL
I am developing a plug-in architecture for an MFC application using MFC-based DLLs. Everything works perfectly except when I bring up a CDialog object from within a DLL. The dialog itself functions correctly, but when MFC destroys the dialog I get the well-known "Access violation reading location…" crash error in this specific function within MFC void* CMapPtrToPtr::GetValueAt(void* key) cons Looking at the stack trace it appears that MFC keeps handle maps for temporary and permanant windows. For this particular case the crash occurs when MFC is checking the validity of the dial...

Using Visual C# Class Lib(DLL) within MFC
Hello There: is it possible to use a DLL created by Visual C# Class Library(DLL) in MFC Application? Regards ...

sbcmsync.dll
Hi all, I get a message opening outlook: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Appliactuion Data\Microsoft\Addin C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\sbcmsync.dll" is not a valid Office Add-in. I've been browsing the newsgroups, and came across numerous solutions, deleting extend.dat, looking for the "Outlook Sync" option in Add-in Manager. Nothing in the registry either. Can anybody tell me what else I could possibly try? All solutions I found tested to no avail. Perhaps anything else in the registry to check, permissions? Thanks in advance for your replies. ...

LIB's, DLL's & header files
Hello fellow Newsgroupies! Is there a way of creating a DLL and/or LIB files and including them in other projects without the need to also provide one or more '.h' files for linking? Basically I wish to be able to hide my '.h' files as well as my '.cpp' files etc. All contributions, samples and examples gratefully received! Many thanks, 'Newsgroupie' "Newsgroupie" <google@softwhere.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:1149853677.553962.225980@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > Hello fellow Newsgroupies! > > Is there a way of creatin...

How do I reference a cell to automatically update in a header
How do I reference a cell in a worksheet to automatically report in a header or a footer. I believe it could be accomplished with an Event-Macro at the sheets level. Assuming B5 Text should be reflected as the Header - try this: ------------------------------------------------------------ Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Target.Address = "$B$5" Then ActiveSheet.PageSetup.CenterHeader = [B5] End If End Sub ------------- Micky "Dan" wrote: > How do I reference a cell in a worksheet to automatically report in a header ...

what references to use for vb.net 2008 project and excel
I have office 2007. I am developing a vb.net 2008 project to work with office 2003 excel which will be on the users machine. Here is the question -- after reading tons of stuff about this. in my list of references in vb.net I have: Microsoft.interop version 11 and 12 (are these the PIA's) microsoft. office tools.excel version 8 and 9 Microsoft object lib 12 and 5 I am developing on the 2007 office machine for a project that will use office 2003 excel. I am only creating spreadsheets, reading and writing to spread sheets. I have read alot of conflicting info so h...

Upward Compatability 2003 to 2007
I have bought a new computer and wanted to know if any data base I have done in 2003 Access is upwardly compatible with 2007 Access? Would appreciate any feedback on this. I also have 2003 on my old pc but want to know if I can get the upgrade to 2007 onto my new computer? Thanks for any help, azbirddogatmsn.com Not sure what you're after ... If you have databases in earlier versions of Access, you can migrate/convert them to new versions of Access. Be aware that Office 2007 (and therefore Access 2007) introduced the "Ribbon" as the command interface. Your ol...

vc7, resource-only DLL and class wizard
Since we upgraded from VC6 to VC7, we have the following problem: In some projects of ours, all resources (except the program icon) are moved to a separate resource-only DLL, for translation purposes. Now the VC7 class wizard seems not to like this; whenever I am in the resource editor (e.g. a dialog resource) and want, for example, to add a message handler to a button by double-clicking on the item, the invoked class-wizard insists on creating a new class in the resource-only DLL project. In VC6 it was possible to tell the class-wizard explicitly which files it should use (after deleting th...

some data missing when printing excel.
some data is missing when i print the excel file. there is nothing wrong when i preview the file. the printing area is well set. Is it a laser printer? Perhaps it's a printer memory problem. Try reducing the DPI resolution of your print in File Print Properties and see if this works. Cheers Pete "exceluser" wrote: > some data is missing when i print the excel file. there is nothing wrong when > i preview the file. the printing area is well set. ...

COUNTIF less than cell reference
Dear all, Hopefully a simple countif function query. I want to count the number of values that are less than a certain cell reference. However, when I enter =COUNTIF(A1:A25,<G1) it returns an error. Basically I want to count all occurences in cells A1 to A25 where the value is less than the value in G1. Any ideas? -- stevepain ------------------------------------------------------------------------ stevepain's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=21759 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=386449 Here you go: =C...

64-bit compatibility
I am currently running on Intel based 64-bit clients and would like to have the ability to load Great Plains onto those systems without having to utilize Virtual Ware or log onto my Citrix workstation. I hope the next version v9.0 will have this capability ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click &qu...

Compound Reference
I have a spreadsheet that has 3 columns. I need to be able to make what I call a compound reference. It's really hard to explain but I need to do the following: ='Sheet A'!X(b1) where: The current sheet is Sheet B Sheet A is the sheet containing the cell needed X(b1) refers to column X of sheet A and the (b1) refers to the cell in sheet B that contains the row number to use in sheet A for row X Thanks in advance for your help! =indirect("'sheet a'!x" & b1) or =index('sheet a'!x:x,b1) The =index() formula is better--it only r...

Relative reference autofill increment other than +1
I have often needed to drag and autofill a formula such that row references increment by something more than 1. For example, consider the formula "=sum(A1:A10)" in cell B1. If I have 100 rows of data in column A from A1 to A100 and I want to roll up sums in groups of 10 starting in B1, I would drag my formula down from B1 through to B10. The problem is that the autofill increment will increment A1 to A2 and read "=sum(A2:A11)" and so on down the rows. What I want the row reference increment to be is by 10 so the next formula in B2 would read "=sum(A11:A20)&q...

Catching errors raised by a VB ActiveX dll
Can anyone advise how I can catch errors raised in a VB ActiveX dll (using Err.Raise) in a VC++ client application ? The dll in question is imported into the VC++ application with : #import "abcde.dll" no_namespace and the object is declared as _abcdePtr thisObj; and is initialised with (void)CoInitialize(NULL); thisObj.CreateInstance(__uuidof(abcde)); functions are called using thisObj->functionX(); functionX() may raise an error through the Err.Raise method, and I want to catch this in the VC++ code. Any help would be appreciated. Cliff Clif...

DEX_SESSION and/or DEX_LOCK missing after restart?
Thanks in advance for any info. I restarted our SQL Server and users were unable to use Great Plains 8.0. I could connect via Query Analyzer, but not GP. I found a couple of KB articles stating that the locks.sql file needs to be reapplied to TempDB. OK, this corrected my problem, at least it appears to be corrected. My questions are, why were the tables not automatically re-created? TempDB gets rebuilt on every restart, so how do these tables get rebuilt? Why now that it stopped recreating them? Is this going to be recurring? Thanks, Morgan This is amazing, I'm having to run...

Linking Error: Using VC6 dll in VC.Net 2003
I wrote a program in MFC linking with another MFC extend DLL in VC6.0 before. But now I am writing another program in VC.Net2003 linking the same VC6 DLL said as before. While I compile my program, it said that Linking Error. I already set the project setting to link to that LIB. How should I do now? Thanks, Kevin Tang ...

RMA Return Item Number Missing
I am having a problem with the Return Item Number disappearing on my RMA. I found a knowledgebase article, 856287, detailing my problem. Quality Report Description: You are allowed to close the RMA before the RMA is entered. This causes the RMA to have a status of 0. Reported in Version\Build: 7.50g01b Steps to Recreate: 1. On Release 7.0, in the RMA Entry/Update window, enter a Repair and Return RMA for any customer and any item then save. 2. Receive the RMA you just created. 3. Bring up the RMA in the RMA Entry/Update window. 4. Click on the customer path expansion, enter an invoice item n...

COM dll and CoCreateInstance returned 80040111
Hi, I am trying to intercept call to the Pocket Outlook API ( a COM dll), so in the registry I have replaced the dll declaration: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\\CLSID\\{05058F23-20BE-11D2-8F18-0000F87A4335} +InProcServer32 _T(""), _T("pimstore.dll") ); _T("ThreadingModel"), _T("Free") ); +ProgID _T(""), _T("PocketOutlook.Application") ); (replaced pimstore.dll by melstore.dll (my COM dll)) and I have created two new entries : one with a new CLSID and a new ProgID that points to the original COM dll. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\\CLSID\\{05058F24...

Missing messages?
What could have happened if there is a log of a message being delivered to several mailboxes (in message tracking), but none of the mailboxes have received the message? How do I start troubleshooting something like this? Thanks, Peter. if message tracking says it was delivered, it's most likely that it was...I would start by going to one of the people who received it, and doing an advanced find for the message...check for rules, views, check dumpster for all folders (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;178630). It has to be there somewhere unless the users have dele...