MIN/MAX functions and reporting from a different column

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out how to get Excel 2003 to report a value from a
separate column where the value reported by a MIN or MAX function
occurs. For example, say this is my setup:

Column A: time
Column B: value 1
Column C: value 2

I want to create a function using the MIN and MAX functions for cell
ranges in either column B or column C plus I want the value that
corresponds to the MIN or MAX value from column A. Basically, I have
data in columns B and C that occurs at times listed in column A. I not
only need to know the MIN and MAX values for certain ranges in columns B
and C but also the times at which these values occur (across hundreds
and hundreds of values with multiple MINs and MAXs, so this is not
something I want to do manually across multiple workbooks).

ummmm

Help!

TIA,

Ari

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
0
spodosaurus
10/1/2005 7:15:57 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

spodosaurus wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to figure out how to get Excel 2003 to report a value from a
> separate column where the value reported by a MIN or MAX function
> occurs. For example, say this is my setup:
>
> Column A: time
> Column B: value 1
> Column C: value 2
>
> I want to create a function using the MIN and MAX functions for cell
> ranges in either column B or column C plus I want the value that
> corresponds to the MIN or MAX value from column A. Basically, I have
> data in columns B and C that occurs at times listed in column A. I not
> only need to know the MIN and MAX values for certain ranges in columns B
> and C but also the times at which these values occur (across hundreds
> and hundreds of values with multiple MINs and MAXs, so this is not
> something I want to do manually across multiple workbooks).
>
> ummmm
>
> Help!
>
> TIA,
>
> Ari

Okay, I haven't even tried to apply this yet (I need sleep, it's 3:30am,
I'll continue in the morning), but would this be the sort of thing that
might possibly work:

=INDEX($A$2:$A$100,MATCH(MIN($B$2:$B$100),$B$2:$B$100,FALSE),1)

This would find the value in Column A that corresponds to the MIN value
for the range in Column B...right?

Now, If I wanted to do the same thing for a MAX in Column C I'd just
change the functions B's to C's...right?

okay...must sleep now...

Cheers,

Ari

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
0
spodosaurus
10/1/2005 7:52:31 PM
Yes, that formula would be appropriate and converted as stated.

--
Regards,
Tom Ogilvy

"spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
> spodosaurus wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm trying to figure out how to get Excel 2003 to report a value from a
> > separate column where the value reported by a MIN or MAX function
> > occurs. For example, say this is my setup:
> >
> > Column A: time
> > Column B: value 1
> > Column C: value 2
> >
> > I want to create a function using the MIN and MAX functions for cell
> > ranges in either column B or column C plus I want the value that
> > corresponds to the MIN or MAX value from column A. Basically, I have
> > data in columns B and C that occurs at times listed in column A. I not
> > only need to know the MIN and MAX values for certain ranges in columns B
> > and C but also the times at which these values occur (across hundreds
> > and hundreds of values with multiple MINs and MAXs, so this is not
> > something I want to do manually across multiple workbooks).
> >
> > ummmm
> >
> > Help!
> >
> > TIA,
> >
> > Ari
> >

> Okay, I haven't even tried to apply this yet (I need sleep, it's 3:30am,
> I'll continue in the morning), but would this be the sort of thing that
> might possibly work:
>
> =INDEX($A$2:$A$100,MATCH(MIN($B$2:$B$100),$B$2:$B$100,FALSE),1)
>
> This would find the value in Column A that corresponds to the MIN value
> for the range in Column B...right?
>
> Now, If I wanted to do the same thing for a MAX in Column C I'd just
> change the functions B's to C's...right?
>
> okay...must sleep now...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ari
>
> --
> spammage trappage: remove the underscores to reply
>
> I'm going to die rather sooner than I'd like. I tried to protect my
> neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. Complications in
> hospital following this resulted in a serious illness. I now need a bone
> marrow transplant. Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow
> transplant, too. Please volunteer to be a marrow donor:
> http://www.abmdr.org.au/
> http://www.marrow.org/

0
twogilvy (1078)
10/1/2005 8:54:49 PM
Hi!

>would this be the sort of thing that might possibly work:

>=INDEX($A$2:$A$100,MATCH(MIN($B$2:$B$100),$B$2:$B$100,FALSE),1)

>This would find the value in Column A that corresponds to the MIN value for
>the range in Column B...right?

Correct.

Since you are indexing a single column range you can omit the column_number
argument. It defaults to 1 when not included.

Also, the match_type argument can be one of three choices: -1, 0, 1. Since
you're using FALSE this will evaluate to 0 for an exact match and will still
work properly. So:

=INDEX($A$2:$A$100,MATCH(MIN($B$2:$B$100),$B$2:$B$100,0))

And for the MAX based on column C:

=INDEX($A$2:$A$100,MATCH(MAX($C$2:$C$100),$C$2:$C$100,0))

Note that if there are duplicate entries for either max or min the above
formulas will only return the corresponding value for the first instance.

Biff

"spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
> spodosaurus wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm trying to figure out how to get Excel 2003 to report a value from a
>> separate column where the value reported by a MIN or MAX function occurs.
>> For example, say this is my setup:
>>
>> Column A: time
>> Column B: value 1
>> Column C: value 2
>>
>> I want to create a function using the MIN and MAX functions for cell
>> ranges in either column B or column C plus I want the value that
>> corresponds to the MIN or MAX value from column A. Basically, I have data
>> in columns B and C that occurs at times listed in column A. I not only
>> need to know the MIN and MAX values for certain ranges in columns B and C
>> but also the times at which these values occur (across hundreds and
>> hundreds of values with multiple MINs and MAXs, so this is not something
>> I want to do manually across multiple workbooks).
>>
>> ummmm
>>
>> Help!
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> Ari
>>

> Okay, I haven't even tried to apply this yet (I need sleep, it's 3:30am,
> I'll continue in the morning), but would this be the sort of thing that
> might possibly work:
>
> =INDEX($A$2:$A$100,MATCH(MIN($B$2:$B$100),$B$2:$B$100,FALSE),1)
>
> This would find the value in Column A that corresponds to the MIN value
> for the range in Column B...right?
>
> Now, If I wanted to do the same thing for a MAX in Column C I'd just
> change the functions B's to C's...right?
>
> okay...must sleep now...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ari
>
> --
> spammage trappage: remove the underscores to reply
>
> I'm going to die rather sooner than I'd like. I tried to protect my
> neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. Complications in
> hospital following this resulted in a serious illness. I now need a bone
> marrow transplant. Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow
> transplant, too. Please volunteer to be a marrow donor:
> http://www.abmdr.org.au/
> http://www.marrow.org/

0
biffinpitt (3172)
10/1/2005 9:09:38 PM
Biff wrote:
> Hi!
>

>>would this be the sort of thing that might possibly work:
>

>>=INDEX($A$2:$A$100,MATCH(MIN($B$2:$B$100),$B$2:$B$100,FALSE),1)
>

>>This would find the value in Column A that corresponds to the MIN value for
>>the range in Column B...right?
>

> Correct.
>
> Since you are indexing a single column range you can omit the column_number
> argument. It defaults to 1 when not included.
>
> Also, the match_type argument can be one of three choices: -1, 0, 1. Since
> you're using FALSE this will evaluate to 0 for an exact match and will still
> work properly. So:
>
> =INDEX($A$2:$A$100,MATCH(MIN($B$2:$B$100),$B$2:$B$100,0))
>
> And for the MAX based on column C:
>
> =INDEX($A$2:$A$100,MATCH(MAX($C$2:$C$100),$C$2:$C$100,0))
>
> Note that if there are duplicate entries for either max or min the above
> formulas will only return the corresponding value for the first instance.
>
> Biff

Now, if I wanted the values returned by these equations to appear in a
separate workbook (I have 18 separate workbooks that I want to take
values from and put into one workbook) would I have to add a
'workbook1.xls'! to the beginning of each of the three functions in the
equations? Such as:

=INDEX('workbook1.xls'!$A$2:$A$100,MATCH('workbook1.xls'!MAX('workbook1.xls'!$C$2:$C$100),$C$2:$C$100,0))

> "spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
>
>>spodosaurus wrote:
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>I'm trying to figure out how to get Excel 2003 to report a value from a
>>>separate column where the value reported by a MIN or MAX function occurs.
>>>For example, say this is my setup:
>>>
>>>Column A: time
>>>Column B: value 1
>>>Column C: value 2
>>>
>>>I want to create a function using the MIN and MAX functions for cell
>>>ranges in either column B or column C plus I want the value that
>>>corresponds to the MIN or MAX value from column A. Basically, I have data
>>>in columns B and C that occurs at times listed in column A. I not only
>>>need to know the MIN and MAX values for certain ranges in columns B and C
>>>but also the times at which these values occur (across hundreds and
>>>hundreds of values with multiple MINs and MAXs, so this is not something
>>>I want to do manually across multiple workbooks).
>>>
>>>ummmm
>>>
>>>Help!
>>>
>>>TIA,
>>>
>>>Ari
>>>

>>Okay, I haven't even tried to apply this yet (I need sleep, it's 3:30am,
>>I'll continue in the morning), but would this be the sort of thing that
>>might possibly work:
>>
>>=INDEX($A$2:$A$100,MATCH(MIN($B$2:$B$100),$B$2:$B$100,FALSE),1)
>>
>>This would find the value in Column A that corresponds to the MIN value
>>for the range in Column B...right?
>>
>>Now, If I wanted to do the same thing for a MAX in Column C I'd just
>>change the functions B's to C's...right?
>>
>>okay...must sleep now...
>>
>>Cheers,
>>
>>Ari

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
0
spodosaurus
10/2/2005 7:43:08 AM
Hi

With your workbooks, you need to put the workbook name inside [  ]
square brackets, then refer to the sheet name before the cell reference.

[Workbook1.xls]Sheet1!$A$2:$A$100

If they are all in the same subdirectory (or folder) as you are working
with your summary, the above will suffice. If not then you will need
[C:\Excel\My work\Workbook1.xls]Sheet1!$A$2:$A$100

replacing the C:\Excel\My work\Workbook1.xls with your relevant path and
filename.

Regards

Roger Govier

spodosaurus wrote:

> Biff wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>

>>> would this be the sort of thing that might possibly work:
>>

>>> =INDEX($A$2:$A$100,MATCH(MIN($B$2:$B$100),$B$2:$B$100,FALSE),1)
>>

>>> This would find the value in Column A that corresponds to the MIN
>>> value for the range in Column B...right?
>>

>> Correct.
>>
>> Since you are indexing a single column range you can omit the
>> column_number argument. It defaults to 1 when not included.
>>
>> Also, the match_type argument can be one of three choices: -1, 0, 1.
>> Since you're using FALSE this will evaluate to 0 for an exact match
>> and will still work properly. So:
>>
>> =INDEX($A$2:$A$100,MATCH(MIN($B$2:$B$100),$B$2:$B$100,0))
>>
>> And for the MAX based on column C:
>>
>> =INDEX($A$2:$A$100,MATCH(MAX($C$2:$C$100),$C$2:$C$100,0))
>>
>> Note that if there are duplicate entries for either max or min the
>> above formulas will only return the corresponding value for the first
>> instance.
>>
>> Biff
>

> Now, if I wanted the values returned by these equations to appear in a
> separate workbook (I have 18 separate workbooks that I want to take
> values from and put into one workbook) would I have to add a
> 'workbook1.xls'! to the beginning of each of the three functions in
> the equations? Such as:
>
> =INDEX('workbook1.xls'!$A$2:$A$100,MATCH('workbook1.xls'!MAX('workbook1.xls'!$C$2:$C$100),$C$2:$C$100,0))
>

>> "spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message

>>> Okay, I haven't even tried to apply this yet (I need sleep, it's
>>> 3:30am, I'll continue in the morning), but would this be the sort of
>>> thing that might possibly work:
>>>
>>> =INDEX($A$2:$A$100,MATCH(MIN($B$2:$B$100),$B$2:$B$100,FALSE),1)
>>>
>>> This would find the value in Column A that corresponds to the MIN
>>> value for the range in Column B...right?
>>>
>>> Now, If I wanted to do the same thing for a MAX in Column C I'd just
>>> change the functions B's to C's...right?
>>>
>>> okay...must sleep now...
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Ari

0
roger1272 (620)
10/2/2005 10:36:42 AM
Roger Govier wrote:
> Hi
>
> With your workbooks, you need to put the workbook name inside [  ]
> square brackets, then refer to the sheet name before the cell reference.
>
> [Workbook1.xls]Sheet1!$A$2:$A$100
>
> If they are all in the same subdirectory (or folder) as you are working
> with your summary, the above will suffice. If not then you will need
> [C:\Excel\My work\Workbook1.xls]Sheet1!$A$2:$A$100
>
> replacing the C:\Excel\My work\Workbook1.xls with your relevant path and
> filename.
>
> Regards
>
> Roger Govier

It almost works! Excel gives me an error with the second workbook
reference in this formula:

=INDEX([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!$A$2:$A$100,MATCH([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!MAX([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!$C$2:$C$100),$C$2:$C$100,0))

The first and thrid references to Workbook1.xls seem to be okay. I've
even tried adding extra parentheses around the second reference, like this:

=INDEX([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!$A$2:$A$100,MATCH(([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!MAX([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!$C$2:$C$100)),$C$2:$C$100,0))

again, without success :-(

> spodosaurus wrote:
>
>> Biff wrote:
>>
>>> Hi!

>>> Correct.
>>>
>>> Since you are indexing a single column range you can omit the
>>> column_number argument. It defaults to 1 when not included.
>>>
>>> Also, the match_type argument can be one of three choices: -1, 0, 1.
>>> Since you're using FALSE this will evaluate to 0 for an exact match
>>> and will still work properly. So:
>>>
>>> =INDEX($A$2:$A$100,MATCH(MIN($B$2:$B$100),$B$2:$B$100,0))
>>>
>>> And for the MAX based on column C:
>>>
>>> =INDEX($A$2:$A$100,MATCH(MAX($C$2:$C$100),$C$2:$C$100,0))
>>>
>>> Note that if there are duplicate entries for either max or min the
>>> above formulas will only return the corresponding value for the first
>>> instance.
>>>
>>> Biff
>>

>> Now, if I wanted the values returned by these equations to appear in a
>> separate workbook (I have 18 separate workbooks that I want to take
>> values from and put into one workbook) would I have to add a
>> 'workbook1.xls'! to the beginning of each of the three functions in
>> the equations? Such as:
>>
>> =INDEX('workbook1.xls'!$A$2:$A$100,MATCH('workbook1.xls'!MAX('workbook1.xls'!$C$2:$C$100),$C$2:$C$100,0))
>>

>>> "spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
0
spodosaurus
10/2/2005 2:31:13 PM
Hi

I think your second Workbook reference is superfluous.
Try
=INDEX([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!$A$2:$A$100,MATCH(MAX([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!$C$2:$C$100),$C$2:$C$100,0))

Regards

Roger Govier

spodosaurus wrote:

> Roger Govier wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> With your workbooks, you need to put the workbook name inside [  ]
>> square brackets, then refer to the sheet name before the cell reference.
>>
>> [Workbook1.xls]Sheet1!$A$2:$A$100
>>
>> If they are all in the same subdirectory (or folder) as you are
>> working with your summary, the above will suffice. If not then you
>> will need
>> [C:\Excel\My work\Workbook1.xls]Sheet1!$A$2:$A$100
>>
>> replacing the C:\Excel\My work\Workbook1.xls with your relevant path
>> and filename.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Roger Govier
>>

> It almost works! Excel gives me an error with the second workbook
> reference in this formula:
>
> =INDEX([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!$A$2:$A$100,MATCH([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!MAX([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!$C$2:$C$100),$C$2:$C$100,0))
>

> The first and thrid references to Workbook1.xls seem to be okay. I've
> even tried adding extra parentheses around the second reference, like
> this:
>
> =INDEX([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!$A$2:$A$100,MATCH(([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!MAX([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!$C$2:$C$100)),$C$2:$C$100,0))
>

> again, without success :-(

0
roger1272 (620)
10/2/2005 2:40:49 PM
Roger Govier wrote:
> Hi
>
> I think your second Workbook reference is superfluous.
> Try
> =INDEX([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!$A$2:$A$100,MATCH(MAX([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!$C$2:$C$100),$C$2:$C$100,0))

Gives me a circular error, so it appears I might need it :-/

I'm wondering if I have the workbook references on the correct sides of
all the parentheses...?

> Regards
>
> Roger Govier
>

> spodosaurus wrote:
>
>> Roger Govier wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> With your workbooks, you need to put the workbook name inside [  ]
>>> square brackets, then refer to the sheet name before the cell reference.
>>>
>>> [Workbook1.xls]Sheet1!$A$2:$A$100
>>>
>>> If they are all in the same subdirectory (or folder) as you are
>>> working with your summary, the above will suffice. If not then you
>>> will need
>>> [C:\Excel\My work\Workbook1.xls]Sheet1!$A$2:$A$100
>>>
>>> replacing the C:\Excel\My work\Workbook1.xls with your relevant path
>>> and filename.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Roger Govier
>>>

>> It almost works! Excel gives me an error with the second workbook
>> reference in this formula:
>>
>> =INDEX([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!$A$2:$A$100,MATCH([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!MAX([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!$C$2:$C$100),$C$2:$C$100,0))
>>

>> The first and thrid references to Workbook1.xls seem to be okay. I've
>> even tried adding extra parentheses around the second reference, like
>> this:
>>
>> =INDEX([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!$A$2:$A$100,MATCH(([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!MAX([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!$C$2:$C$100)),$C$2:$C$100,0))
>>

>> again, without success :-(

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
0
spodosaurus
10/2/2005 2:48:08 PM
spodosaurus wrote:
> Roger Govier wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I think your second Workbook reference is superfluous.
>> Try
>> =INDEX([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!$A$2:$A$100,MATCH(MAX([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!$C$2:$C$100),$C$2:$C$100,0))
>>

> Gives me a circular error, so it appears I might need it :-/
>
> I'm wondering if I have the workbook references on the correct sides of
> all the parentheses...?

Okay, starting from here:

=INDEX([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!$A$2:$A$100,MATCH([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!MAX([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!$C$2:$C$100),$C$2:$C$100,0))

I think the MATCH afunction might actually need extra references to the
workbook for its second argument:

MATCH([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!MAX([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!$C$2:$C$100),$C$2:$C$100,0)

This tells it to look in Workbook1.xls for the first argument, but then
perhaps it's looking to the workbook that it's in (Workbook19.xls) for
the $C$2:$C$100 value? I'm posting this from a separate computer because
the one that I'm working on is not networked at present, so bare with me
while I speculate then travel back and forth to test things.

>> Regards
>>
>> Roger Govier
>>

>> spodosaurus wrote:

>>> It almost works! Excel gives me an error with the second workbook
>>> reference in this formula:
>>>
>>> =INDEX([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!$A$2:$A$100,MATCH([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!MAX([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!$C$2:$C$100),$C$2:$C$100,0))
>>>

>>> The first and thrid references to Workbook1.xls seem to be okay. I've
>>> even tried adding extra parentheses around the second reference, like
>>> this:
>>>
>>> =INDEX([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!$A$2:$A$100,MATCH(([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!MAX([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!$C$2:$C$100)),$C$2:$C$100,0))
>>>

>>> again, without success :-(

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
0
spodosaurus
10/2/2005 2:56:13 PM
Hi

Sorry, I think its me being rather sleepy on a Sunday afternoon!!

You are right, you do need the second Workbook reference, PLUS a fourth
one before the final cell range, otherwise it will be using cells
C2:C1000 of your current workbook.

=INDEX([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!$A$2:$A$100,MATCH([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!MAX([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!$C$2:$C$100),[Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!$C$2:$C$100,0))

Regards

Roger Govier

spodosaurus wrote:

> spodosaurus wrote:
>
>> Roger Govier wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I think your second Workbook reference is superfluous.
>>> Try
>>> =INDEX([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!$A$2:$A$100,MATCH(MAX([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!$C$2:$C$100),$C$2:$C$100,0))
>>>

>> Gives me a circular error, so it appears I might need it :-/
>>
>> I'm wondering if I have the workbook references on the correct sides
>> of all the parentheses...?
>>

> Okay, starting from here:
>
> =INDEX([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!$A$2:$A$100,MATCH([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!MAX([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!$C$2:$C$100),$C$2:$C$100,0))
>

> I think the MATCH afunction might actually need extra references to
> the workbook for its second argument:
>
> MATCH([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!MAX([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!$C$2:$C$100),$C$2:$C$100,0)
>

> This tells it to look in Workbook1.xls for the first argument, but
> then perhaps it's looking to the workbook that it's in
> (Workbook19.xls) for the $C$2:$C$100 value? I'm posting this from a
> separate computer because the one that I'm working on is not networked
> at present, so bare with me while I speculate then travel back and
> forth to test things.
>

>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Roger Govier

0
roger1272 (620)
10/2/2005 3:32:12 PM
Why not let XL create the links (paths) for you?

Open all the WBs and start the formula from scratch.

Now, navigate to the WB in question, click in the starting cell, drag to the
ending cell, then enter a comma in the formula *in the formula bar*.

(You'll see that XL has inserted the actual path for you.)

Now, continue typing in the formula bar:

MATCH(MAX(

And continue on ... navigating to the WBs and cells in question, and then
typing in the punctuation and functions.
When finished, hit <Enter>, and you should have your properly configured
formula.

--
HTH,

RD

> spodosaurus wrote:
> > Roger Govier wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> I think your second Workbook reference is superfluous.
> >> Try

=INDEX([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!$A$2:$A$100,MATCH(MAX([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'
!$C$2:$C$100),$C$2:$C$100,0))

> > Gives me a circular error, so it appears I might need it :-/
> >
> > I'm wondering if I have the workbook references on the correct sides of
> > all the parentheses...?
> >

> Okay, starting from here:

=INDEX([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!$A$2:$A$100,MATCH([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!MAX
([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!$C$2:$C$100),$C$2:$C$100,0))

> I think the MATCH afunction might actually need extra references to the
> workbook for its second argument:

MATCH([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!MAX([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!$C$2:$C$100),$C$2:
$C$100,0)

> This tells it to look in Workbook1.xls for the first argument, but then
> perhaps it's looking to the workbook that it's in (Workbook19.xls) for
> the $C$2:$C$100 value? I'm posting this from a separate computer because
> the one that I'm working on is not networked at present, so bare with me
> while I speculate then travel back and forth to test things.
>

> >> Regards
> >>
> >> Roger Govier

=INDEX([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!$A$2:$A$100,MATCH([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!MAX
([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!$C$2:$C$100),$C$2:$C$100,0))

=INDEX([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!$A$2:$A$100,MATCH(([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!MA
X([Workbook1.xls]'sheet1'!$C$2:$C$100)),$C$2:$C$100,0))

> --
> spammage trappage: remove the underscores to reply
>
> I'm going to die rather sooner than I'd like. I tried to protect my
> neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. Complications in
> hospital following this resulted in a serious illness. I now need a bone
> marrow transplant. Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow
> transplant, too. Please volunteer to be a marrow donor:
> http://www.abmdr.org.au/
> http://www.marrow.org/

0
ragdyer1 (4060)

LookUp Function #3
Hello! I'm running Excel XP and trying to figure how to run vlookup from tw colums. The form is for working out the next standard size up. Enter number i A and a number in B and in C it pulls thro the code from 'datarange where A is more then or Equals 'datarange coloum A' AND B is more the or Equals 'datarange coloum B' Any Ideas. Please find attached JPG. Hope i've explained enough. Thanks Ala +---------------------------------------------------------------- | Attachment filename: excel1.jpg |Download attachment: ...

Export Report To Excel
XP, Office 2007 I have a report that when run basically tells us the part number, how many are in stock, and how many we need to make to complete a particular order. There are several order dates to each part, so the rows repeat themselves for each of the order dates. There are total fields on the report that show how many parts need to be made if the customer orders more than what is on hand; all the calculations are done in the report itself. I was able to use a macro to filter everythihg down to show for each part number the first due date for parts that need to be manufactured an...

Nesting if Functions
I would like to use a nested if function to display a months work summary in a single area using a scroll bar. I have used this to good effect for small amounts of data tables but would like to extend it to displaying information covering 12 separate months. I know you can only nest an if function up to 8 times I believe. Is there a way around this that would let me display my 12 months of data I need to. Regards Don There is bound to be another way, using some sort of lookup probably. Can you give some details of the data, and what you need to do specifically, and expected resul...

Using PERCENTILE with *specific* cells in a column
I am trying to use the PERCENTILE function with specific cells in a column. For example, lets say the column is: A 1 5 2 6 3 7 4 8 Using PERCENTILE on say A1:A3 is easy enough, but I want to do say A1 and A4. I can achieve this by defining a named range such that it would be equal to A1 and A4, but would rather not use named ranges, as the above is a very simplistic example of what I want to do -- using named ranges would require a substantial amount of effort to achieve my end goal. I also realize I could re-order the rows such that I swap A4 with A2, therefore could use perc...

Windows Explorer Columns
Hi, The 'Date Modified' column doesn't appear on any of my folders. I add it, and when i browse away from that folder and return to it, it's disappeared again. How do i get every folder to show that column by default? Thanks, Albert A known Vista annoyance, already solved in Windows7. There're several solutions invlving Registry edit which sets your Template for a specific filetype to what you want, not to MS default - if you Google or Bing for it it should showuo in search results. Sorry I don't have exact URL at hand. it i I know it's f...

Report from Access 2003 to 2007 problem

How to create a report based on multiple queries
Hi all, I am trying to create a report based on 30 queries . These 30 queries are based on one table. When I use the Report wizard and select more than one query I get the message " You have chosen fields from record source which the wizard can't connect. You may have chosen fields from a table and from a query based on that table. If so try choosing fields from only tha table or only the query". I do not know what to do.? Any guidance will help thanks, Dave On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 08:21:02 -0700, davidstevans@gmail.com wrote: >Hi all, > >I am trying to create a rep...

I get wrong dates when i paste from a different sheet into a new s
Hello again, My problem now is when I open an old excel sheet with data on it and try to paste that info on a new sheet I get wrong information. example: I'm trying to copy dates from an excel sheet I have. The dates are for the year 2004. When I copy the data and paste it on a new sheet the dates I now see are 2000. I'm puzzled. What I find wierd is when I have clipboard open the information shows the correct dates but when it's actually pasted on the sheet it shows as 2000. I'm using Excel 2003, but I get the same thing when using excel 2002(xp) Thanks for your help,...

Row/column grid lines
Can someone please tell me how to remove the grid lines from a single row or column Cheers Stuart. Hi Stuart, You need to use a fill color. Format>cells>pattern, pick the color closest to the background color. -- John johnf202 at hotmail dot com "Stuart" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5CD88DAF-4CDD-4D04-8E9E-A50D9A319672@microsoft.com... > Can someone please tell me how to remove the grid lines from a single row or column. > > Cheers Stuart. Stuart, You can't remove the grid lines from a single row or column. Grid lin...

How do I subtract 20% from one column in Excel and place totals i.
I would like to know if someone knows the formula I use to subtract 20% from totals in one column on my spreadsheet to show totals in another column on same spreadsheet. Can anyone help? Spent way to long trying to figure out correct formula. =A30*80% assuming totals in A30 -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Full Effect Landscaping" <Full Effect Landscaping@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7ACF893B-54DF-4EE4-A931-3BB5FA365821@microsoft.com... > I would like to know if someone knows the formula I use to subtract 2...

Max limit in resource.h file of VC++
Hi, We specify the next step number for the resources, commands and control by the following. _APS_NEXT_RESOURCE_VALUE _APS_NEXT_COMMAND_VALUE _APS_NEXT_CONTROL_VALUE Do we have any way to restrict the numbers or specify the max limit. eg. I want my resource to have command values from 1 to 100. So #define _APS_NEXT_COMMAND_VALUE 1 // Next command number Can I specify somewhere in the resource.h file saying 100 is the max if it goes beyond 100, throw an error? Thanks, Prashant. ...

How do I sync Signatures and folders between different machines?
I use Outlook on two different machines and the set up is not synched correctly. My home version does not update when I add new folders on the work laptop and the signatures are not saved in the home PC version. The signatures were created on the laptop and saved there. I need help!!!!!!!!!!! What type of mail account? How are you currently attempting to sync? (outlook doesn't sync without the use of third party tools) What version of Outlook? "Ben Davidson" <Ben Davidson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:708A9243-C1D4-48FD-84FE-7B37BB49FF99@...

Impacts to Move to Timesheet Reporting
Team members have been reporting work effort on project tasks only through the My Tasks page in EPMS 2007 for about 1-1/2 years. Leadership has asked that I evaluate impacts to moving to the Timesheet function so we can also track Administrative Time. I need direction where to start my research. Articles I could read? Share your experience? Many thanks in advance. -- Carla Evans Presbyterian Health Plan Carla -- You can certain get some "bang for your buck" by using the My Timesheet feature in Project Server 2007. For example, one great benefit is the Plan ...

Month function
Hello, I have Excel 97 with the first service pack at home. I don't have an internet connection at home, so can't install the second service pack. Now that said... In A1 I have: 10/8/04 in A2 I have this: =MONTH(A1) A2 actually says "January" without the quotes. No matter what date I put in A1, A2 always says January. Is there any way at all to fix this? TIA!!! Cindy Hi is your value in A1 really a date value? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany CindyH wrote: > Hello, > > I have Excel 97 with the first service pack at home. I don't have an > ...

Pictures in Report
I inserted a banner on top of my report which displays well on the first page but for some reason it shrinks to the left hand corner of the following pages. How do i get the banner picture to maintain it size so each page displays it like the first? "acss" <joekru98@hotmail.com> escreveu na mensagem news:E971FDC6-F2DC-4A4D-87BB-A69AC60A6728@microsoft.com... >I inserted a banner on top of my report which displays well on the first >page > but for some reason it shrinks to the left hand corner of the following > pages. How do i get the banner picture to maintai...

Report Formatting & Writting
Hi Everyone, 1. I am just gettign to grips with writting .qrp reports in RMS and wondered if anyone knows if there is a WYSIWYG editor available to help speed up developement? 2. I want to be able to hightlight figures on reports in red if they are negative - is this possible? Tia 1) Nope, no WYSIWG editor. 2) No, you can't set the color, but you can use a standard VB Format String in the "ColFormat" field of the column definition. Here's teh MSDN Reference on number formats: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/4fb56f4y.aspx Glenn Adams Tiber Creek Consulti...

Strange Reporting problem on CRM 3.0
Hello, I'm currently having a problem with CRM reporting that has me pulling out my hair. I have CRM 3.0 installed on SBS 2003 Premium R2, using the workgroup version of SQL Server 2005 (SP1) that comes with it. A few weeks ago, I had the SQL server 2005 workgroup edition bug (as shown in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923387). I had contacted Microsoft for the hotfix but never got around to installing it. During the whole DST change, I followed all of the instructions and patched our CRM, and I have now decided to tackle the reporting error that I used to have. The thing is, my ...

Function Argument Question
I'm having a brain freeze and cannot come up with the formula to express the following: If A1 is greater than 0 but less than 3, return 50, If A1 is greater than 3 but less than 6, return 100, If A1 is great than 6, return 200. I was looking for a "between" function like in formatting, but I don't think that is how it's done. Thanks in advance for any help! Hi War, Try this: =if(A1>=6,200,if(A1>3,200,50)) -- Hope this helps "WAR" wrote: > I'm having a brain freeze and cannot come up with the formula to expre...

CRM 4.0 sales pipeline report
CRM 4.0 sales pipeline report is not working. i had installed crm three times because i tought that could solve the problem but at last i understand that this is a generic problem. all reports are working but pipeline report is not. anybody could help me ...

Sort numeric data in more than 3 columns in excel
Hi All, I have to sort 12 columns of numeric data in descending order on a excel worksheet. I currently sort 3 at a time and then move forward. For example, I have sales data for months Jan to Dec. I want each of these columns to show zeros at the bottom when the macro is run. The rows would increase in future but the columns would be fixed. The worksheet would also remains unchanged each month. None of these columns are of least significance. Is there a way I could change a recorded macro to achieve this?? I know very little of VB. This would be of great help! Thanks! All of the columns ...

creating a report through smart list/explorer and getting an error
Hi, I was creating a report through smart list/explorer and received the following error message: A save operation on table ASI_Explorer_favorites_columns has caused an unknown error (31) Then I went to run an existing report with a few modifications and got the following error: An open operation on table ASI_IVC_HDR_WORK_Explorer could not find a record I hit ok and get this: an open operation on table WDC_Field_security_tag_TEMP could not find a record I hit ok and get this: An open operation on table ASI_GL_Account_MSTR_Explorer could not find a record I hit ok and and get th...

how do i delete a * at the end of each word in a column
In a column I have all last names followed by * e.g. Jones* How do I delete the * Thanks in advance for your help Use Replace, and put ~* in the Find What box. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com (email address is on the web site) "celler6" <celler6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3C6160E7-7217-4D14-8671-0EA2513D501A@microsoft.com... > In a column I have all last names followed by * e.g. Jones* > How do I delete the * > Thanks in advance for your help =SUBSTITUTE(A1,"*",...

collections
Hi there I have a collection of pointers to a class of object that has several methods returning a float value. What I would like is a way of getting the total value for any of these methods for all the objects in the collection- I suspect this is using method pointers but I dont know how to do it. class MyObject : CObject { float method1() ; float method2(); float method3(); } CObjArray listOfMyObjects float total=listOfMyObjects.sumOf(method1()); I know this is wrong but hope it explains what I want to do. Any help will be really appreciated Phil You nee...

Trying to total the column values in my chart?
Hi !! I am using the Stacked Column with a 3-d visual effect chart. I am charting 6 months worth of numbers with 5 values in each column. I would like to add up the totals in each column of my chart to make a heading (or something). Can this be done? Thanks ! K8T Hi, The last section of this page shows you how to add a total to a 3-d stack. http://www.andypope.info/charts/StackColTotal.htm Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "K8T" <K8T@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:35E21028-5057-4B86-9725-2324FF5DA718@micr...

Different Replication paths for CCR
While configuring CCR, its been mentioned that, I should have same drive letters in both active and passive nodes for log shipping and relay operations. (replication paths). Can i setit up with different drive names for active and passive nodes? ex ( store1. edb should reside in C:\exchange\store1.edb in active node and the replication path for this should be in E:\exchange \store1.edb in passive node?) Regards, Shivaraj On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 03:46:10 -0800 (PST), shivaraj <shivaraj.malannavar@gmail.com> wrote: >While configuring CCR, its been mentioned that, I should have ...