Merging zip codes into WORD

I am unable to find help on this topic:
Big table of names, addresses.  Want to create letters in
WORD.  When I merge into the WORD doc, the zip codes that
start with "0", show up in merged doc as "0" followed by
nothing.  Or, if zip code is Canadian, it also shows up
as "0" in merged doc.

I have tried setting the zip code column to text, custom,
special, number, zip code, even added single quote in
front of zip code, none of these options will produce a
WORD doc with full zip code if it begins with "0" or is
Canadian (which begins with a letter).

Is this an EXCEL issue, or WORD issue, or user issue??
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Debra Dalgleish has shared some info at:

http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=3EE7A8B8.6070803%40contextures.com

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Mail merge recipient dialog box
Why are the "edit" and "refresh" buttons at the bottom of the mail merge recipient dialog box grayed out? They were available in the last Word version but I cannot figure how to access them in 7 to add to or correct my mailing list. In Word 2007, the first thing you have to do is select the name of the data source in the box at the bottom left of the dialog box. Then, depending on the type of data source, the Edit and Refresh buttons may be ungreyed. [FWIW the same dialog is used by MS Publisher, where they allow multiple data sources, requiring you to ...

'Some' Word files suddently corrupted
Just today, when I attempted to open some older MS Word (2003) files (in MS Word 2003), a dialog box appeared requesting the type of encoding required. The text appeared all jumbled and included numerous meaningless characters, rather than the original English text. I had recently installed OpenOffice 3.1 in an attempt to open some older OpenOffice documents. I uninstalled OpenOffice but the problem remains? What has happened and is there a reasonable 'cure?' Do the file icons appear to be different than what they were before? It may be that the file association has been...

VBA coding
Hi everyone I am very new to vba coding. Though time to time I record macros. Some I want to edit my macro but I don't the vba codes. It there a place where all the codes/coomanda are stored. thanks Nadeem Hi the easiest way to access your macros to edit them is to choose tools / macro / macros, click on the macro you want to edit and press the EDIT button - you'll be taken directly to the appropriate code. (to get back to the workbook you can either close the code window, using the top X or use ALT & F11 to switch back and forth between the VBE Window & the workbo...

Access Code Pushing Values
I have a customer database with [BillAddress] and [ShipAddress]. I am using a "yes/no" box titled[SameShipAddress?]. To automatically fill [ShipAddress] after checking the "yes/no" box I used this code in the after update event for the check box. If Me![SameShipAddress?] Then If IsNull(Me![BillAddress]) Then Else [ShipAddress] = [BillAddress] End If End If This works for the selected customer, but then pushes the entry [BillAddress] of the previous customer to [ShipAddress] of all of the following customers. Any thoughts? Sounds as...

Problem opening up current Excel wksht to mail merge in Word
Hi, I have Microsoft 2007. I created a list in Excel with clients' name, address, city, state, zip. Then, in Word I go to Select Recipients, locate the Excel file and click open. Here's the problem: a Select Table box appears with Sheet1$, Sheet2$, and Sheet3$ as options. clicking on any of the three results in NOTHING. Nothing at all appears! I'm not sure what the problem might be. Thank you for the help! Rachelle ...

merging with excel
I am merging an excel spreadsheet into a publisher doc. The spreadsheet contains a column of numbers generated from a formula. The formula contains a # with multiple decimal places. When I merge, the numbers appear in the publisher doc with 4-5 decimal places. I tried altering the numbers in excel to have only 2 decimal places, but it still merges with more. How can I merge them to appear with only 2? Stephanie <Stephanie@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I am merging an excel spreadsheet into a publisher doc. The > spreadsheet contains a col...

Mail merge to email with an attachment
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_004C_01C54401.F8168A50 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable When I had office xp - I was able to very easily email a merged document = and send it automatuically to the relevant contacts in my list as an = attachment. I am using custom forms and fields but it worked = beautifully! After and upgrade to 2003 I find I can no longer do this - word just = hangs - I researched a bit and found business manager could do this - = yes - but not with my custom forms and f...

Automatic .Doc Mail merge
Hi All, is there any way or Method of the proxy dll, that allows to execute the mail merge of am Offer / Quote / Order template generating a .Doc document ? Thx Gianluca ...

Autofit Merged Cells? Can we do this?
I have a row that has merged column cells. Even if I choose autofit, it will not autofit. Is tehre a way to do this? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ If you search the group archives: http://google.com/advanced_group_search?q=group:*excel* using "merge autofit" (without quotes) as search terms, you'll find many posts on this topic, including links to a macro by Jim Rech that may work for you. In article <kenji4861.vwe00@excelf...

A simple mail merge question
How do you change the return address on envelops printed using mail merge? I don't understand the question. The return address will be whatever you tell it to be when you set up your merge document. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Nina" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:b16b01c3ec17$335b99f0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > How do you change the return address on envelops printed > using mail merge? ...

Merge two excel files
I have two excel files with the same cell layout. Some of the entries in the first file are identical to the second file. How do I merge the two files so that the resulting file has no duplicates? Thanks in advance. Tom -- So long and thanks for all the fish! Tom, Copy the entries from the second file into the first, below the other entries (don't copy the header row). Then save the file under a new name. I'm going to assume that your data starts in cell A2, with headers in row 1, and extends down the page. In a column to the right of the data table, enter a formul...

Excel Charts in Word
I have a word report I need to do every month. The data and charts are in excel and the data changes monthly. How do I get the excel charts linked into a word document so that when I enter the new data in the excel spreadsheet that is automaitically updated in the report in the word docuemnt? Thanks Copy the Excel chart. In Word, use Edit menu > Paste Special, and select the Paste Link option. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Marc" <Marc@discussions.microso...

Problem linking excel charts in word
I have linked an excel chart into a word document by pasting special as a link. It looks fine when I paste it. I close the application and when I open it again the chart is cut off on the left, and sometimes at the top. It's as if the chart itself is off the edge of the frame it is sitting in. The chart in excel is perfectly OK. I can edit the excel chart, and edits are updated in the word document when links are updated, but it doesn't change the position of teh chart, so it's still cutting off part of the chart. The chart is on it's own sheet rather than being i...

Two users on a network editing documents simultaneously in word 20
My office just upgraded from Word 2003 to Word 2007. We are on a network and share access to Word files. In Word 2003, if one user tried to open a file in which another user was working, a message would appear stating that the file was "locked for editing by (user)." It seems that with Word 2007, any user can open a file (and edit it) while another user is doing so as well. We do not want this to be the case, and just want the settings to be as they were with Word 2003 (i.e. if a document is in use, another user cannot access it simultaneously). Ideally, we'd lik...

Random numbers, Canadian Zip Code style #2
Honestly, I don't even know where to begin -- Shocke ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Shocked's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1489 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26523 ...

Serial Driver Code in C++
I am trying to send a string over serial RS-232 to another computer and wanted to use VC++. Is there some sample code/template I could follow ? It is not very complicated... just somethign that opens the port and writes into it.... and closes the port. Thanks -k On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 21:16:46 -0700, "KP" <drkcp@yahoo.com> wrote: >I am trying to send a string over serial RS-232 to another >computer and >wanted to use VC++. Is there some sample code/template I >could follow ? > >It is not very complicated... just somethign that opens >the port and ...

Extracting a word from a long text field
I have a text field (up to 200 characters) and I need to extract a specific word. The text field name is "MEDICATIONS" and the word I need to extract which might appear anywhere in the field is 'VENOFER'. The word need to be entered in a separate field in a query. Could any one help as to how to enter the code in the query? Thanking you Leo In the criteria I entered Like "VENOFER" Or "Venofer" It seems to work. Will it cause any problems down the line? In other wrods is this an acceptable procedure? "Leo" wrote: >...

How do I hyperlink directly to a section within a Word Document?
I have the need to provide html hyperlinks on our SharePoint portal that will open a Word document and go directly to specific section. I've tried creating anchored links to bookmarks within Word (docx format) but only get as far as having the document open (with a uri like http://portal/requirements.docx#anchor) but it doesn't navigate to the bookmark. Since some of these documents can be quite large, jumping directly to the use case is important. Has anyone else successfully done something like this? Any help is appreciated, Don ...

Editing Password protected form fields in Word 2007
We have created a Word document with a legacy text form field. We inserted a word date field and protected the document allowing Filling in Forms. After protecting the document when we try going to the form field and clicking on back space to delete the entry we get "This is not a valid selection" message box. We have existing word documents in 2003 with similar form fields. We were able to delete the entries and add new data. After converting the documents to 2007 or create new documents in 2007 and try to delete the entries we get the above error. Hi Veera, ...

Publisher Mail merge #2
Trying to inport a file from Excel2000 into Publisher( 2000) for a mail merge. Once I choose the correct file it keeps telling me that the named range is invalid. What does this mean and how do I name it? If you told us what version of Windows you were using it would have been a great help. Do a SAVE AS in Excel to CSV (Comma Separated Values) and use that file to merge with Publisher. Also go to www.microsoft.com/data and update your MDAC components -- If you told us what version of Windows you were using it would have been a great help. Do a SAVE AS in Excel to CSV (Comma Separ...

Re: is MS Publisher compatible with Word?
<<Can you use Word to edit Publisher files?>> No. Mac Townsend Adcom Graphics, Fairfield, C A www.adcomgraphics.com Powered by the E-mail PIM - Info Select - www.miclog.com ...

In Word 2007, I want to enable tabbing between fields in my .docm
In Developer Mode, how can I set the properties of my fields to support tabbing from one field to another in my Word form? What kind of "fields" did you insert? If they're form fields from the Legacy Controls button, you have to turn off Design Mode and then protect the document for forms. Either click the Protect Document button and go through the Restrict Formatting pain/pane, or add the Lock command to your Quick Access Toolbar. If they're content controls (the other buttons in the Controls group), tabbing between controls other than a Rich Text control w...

Merging Accounts Twice to Use Bank OFX Services PLUS MSN Money Bil
I have not upgraded from Money 2004 primarily because of the problem I am describing here related to merging accounts. I have tested this with Money 2005 and 2006 and each time I reverted back to 2004 because of this. I have not checked 2007 yet but suspect that this problem persists. Could anyone confirm this for me one way or another? The problem involves the limitation that merging works only with one online and one "offline" account. So for a checking account, when I connect to my bank's online services, a separate online acocunt is created that I can merge with the o...

Color coding data in line graphs
I am building several line graphs for 9 customers. Is there a way to assign a color for the data by customer without manually adjusting the line for each customer in each line graph? You could adapt this approach: VBA Conditional Formatting of Charts by Series Name http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/vba-conditional-formatting-of-charts-by-series-name/ - Jon ------- Jon Peltier Peltier Technical Services, Inc. http://peltiertech.com/ brewer wrote: > I am building several line graphs for 9 customers. Is there a way to assign > a color for the data by customer without manually adju...

Mail Merge Date Format Problem
Trying to merge in data from an Excel spreadsheet but when the date goes in, it is in US format rather than english format, i.e 08/31/04 rather than 31/08/04. Tried changing the format in Excel first which doesn't work and my PC is set up with UK date as standard. Any ideas how I can change it? Cheers Nick Hi Nick (anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com), in the newsgroups you posted: || Trying to merge in data from an Excel spreadsheet but when || the date goes in, it is in US format rather than english || format, i.e 08/31/04 rather than 31/08/04. Tried changing || the format in E...