Merging "space" and character into existing text cell

I would like to merge text into an existing cell with text.  However, I
need to add a space and the dash " - " character to the existing text
before I do this.  Is there a formula for this process?  Thanks.

0
jazdwit07 (13)
5/31/2006 6:30:44 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

If your existing text is in A1, your text to add in B1 then in C1 you
could use,

=A1&" - "&B1

This adds the space before the hyphen and after the hyphen.

HTH

Steve

--
SteveG
SteveG's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=7571

If  A1=Hello  and B1=World
=CONCATENATE(A1,B1)
will give you HelloWorld
and =CONCATENATE(A1,"  ",B1)
will give you Hello  World

<jazdwit07@aol.com> wrote in message
>I would like to merge text into an existing cell with text.  However, I
> need to add a space and the dash " - " character to the existing text
> before I do this.  Is there a formula for this process?  Thanks.

0
sdatt (10)
5/31/2006 6:49:57 PM
SteveG wrote:
> If your existing text is in A1, your text to add in B1 then in C1 you
> could use,
>
> =A1&" - "&B1
>
> This adds the space before the hyphen and after the hyphen.
>
> HTH
>
> Steve
>

> --
> SteveG
> SteveG's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=7571
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=547190

Awesome!  Thank you!!

0
jazdwit07 (13)
5/31/2006 7:11:01 PM
Some Dude wrote:
> If  A1=Hello  and B1=World
> =CONCATENATE(A1,B1)
> will give you HelloWorld
> and =CONCATENATE(A1,"  ",B1)
> will give you Hello  World
>

> <jazdwit07@aol.com> wrote in message
> >I would like to merge text into an existing cell with text.  However, I
> > need to add a space and the dash " - " character to the existing text
> > before I do this.  Is there a formula for this process?  Thanks.

Thanks!

0
jazdwit07 (13)
5/31/2006 7:12:40 PM
you would be better off keeping the data in raw format instead of
appending all these spaces.

if you kept this data in a database; it would be simple to set a
formatstring so that you could make the data LOOK like however format
you wanted to.. but you wouldn't need to store the result.

it's like.. having 2 different cars; one with the windows down and one
with the windows up.

excel isn't a real tool; run away while you still can

-Aaron

jazdwit07@aol.com wrote:
> Some Dude wrote:
> > If  A1=Hello  and B1=World
> > =CONCATENATE(A1,B1)
> > will give you HelloWorld
> > and =CONCATENATE(A1,"  ",B1)
> > will give you Hello  World
> >

> > <jazdwit07@aol.com> wrote in message
> > >I would like to merge text into an existing cell with text.  However, I
> > > need to add a space and the dash " - " character to the existing text
> > > before I do this.  Is there a formula for this process?  Thanks.
> > >
> Thanks!

0
dbahooker (137)
5/31/2006 7:48:14 PM
Pay no attention to Aaron.... he and his comments are completely off th
mark and totally useless.  For whatever his reason, he is anti-Excel.
The other answers you got are good responses and should do what yo
want

--
greasema
greaseman's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2880

strings with space
Hello! I have in column, strings such as: x xxxxxxxxxxxx xxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxx xx xxxxx I would like to extract left group of characters to a column, and 2nd group to another column. Please, is it possible with Excel function? Thanks in advance. an Hi An Use Data Text to columns in the Menu Bar -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "an" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:15f0701c44722$0dc7baf0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Hello! > > I have in column, strings such as: > > x xxxxxxxxxxxx > xxxx xxxxxxx > xxxxxx xx...

Remove non-space spaces?
I have a large spreadhsheet with data I've manually copied/pasted from various sources including web pages. As I am trying to do things like import to Mysql or even Trim in Excel I find there are many spaced between words which aren't recognized as such (I know this because they don't Trim, and or when doing shift-arrow to jump between words they ignore that space) Is there some way/function to search for non-space spaces and replace? Is there some character set they could belong to? I was/am hoping for some type of advanced Trim function but am doubtful that is ...

Exchange 2003 Not Reporting Correct Disk Space
I have a Exchange 2003 Server with a raid 5 136 gb total drive space. This is MY E:\ Drive and only has the exhange database files. My Priv1.edb file is taken 45 GB. The online defrag reports that it will free up 22 GB. The pub1.edb is 5 GB. If I get the Properties of the Directory where these fdatabase files are located it tells me it is 50 gb. So 136 total size - 50 Used should = 86 free. However I only have 26 GB free. Nothing is in the recycle bin and I do not have Volume Shadow Copy turned on. Why is it not reporting correctly? How do I Fix ? I know I am going to have to d...

Auto-update Fill Series in column that has randomly spaced blank c
Hi, I have a worksheet of projects listed by quarter. A cell (say A6) contains QTR 1, followed by cells in column A filled with a series (1,2,3...say up to 12). Then comes a blank row followed by a row containing words "QTR 2" and then the fill series continues from where it left under QTR 1 i.e. 13,14,15...say up to 18. And so on for QTR 3 and QTR 4. When a new project is added, I want to be able to add a row and with minimal steps, want the fill series below this added new project, to update. When I delete a row (project), I want the fill series to automatically ...

running out of disk space
I seems to be getting a large number of temp_someFilename.zip in %temp% folder lately like 10 GB in two days. I deleted them a couple of days ago and got disk fill message today, seeing a large number of temp_....zip again in %temp% what is causing this? windows search? i've seen something like this before; could be spyware "GS" <gsmsnews.microsoft.comGS@msnews.Nomail.com> wrote in news:uig186UqKHA.4752@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl: > I seems to be getting a large number of temp_someFilename.zip in > %temp% folder lately > like 10 GB in two...

how to add a space in front of the text field?
Hi all,I would like to add a space in front of my text data.Old data:E67893456712345New data will be: E6789 34567 12345 Please help for that. Thanks,Blinda Hi Blinda,Noticed you started another string. I just posted a couple input masks to your previous post. I have tested both and they work fine. I provided two so that you can decide whether you want to type the decimal point when entering data or not. And, you will not need to add a space in front of your existing data.The only other question I have is whether you were trying to put the input mask into the field in the table, or on a for...

$19.99 Unlimited Space !
$19.99 Unlimited Space ! Managed Hosted Microsoft Exchange Server & 30 day FREE trial ! http://www.DataSyncPros.com Outlook was ment to be on Exchange - Experience the power ! Access your email, calendar, contacts & task list from anywhere! Provide shared access to co-workers in real-time...24/7 DataSyncPros Hosted Exchange Solution allows your business to communicate and collaborate more efficiently and effectively. Using Microsoft=AE Outlook 2003 software and features, DataSyncPros Hosted Exchange offers real-time access to your Outlook profile (email, calendar, task list and a...

How do I shade the space between two data series in Excel?
I want to shade in between two data series on an xy scatter chart when they cross over each other. Is this possible in Excel or are there any add on graphics packages that would allow more flexibility with charts? Hi, Have a look at this example. http://www.andypope.info/ngs/ng21.htm You can shade areas using additional data plotted as area or stacked area charts. Cheers Andy spike5150 wrote: > I want to shade in between two data series on an xy scatter chart when they > cross over each other. Is this possible in Excel or are there any add on > graphics packages that would...

spaces in object names
Is it best to not leave have a space between names of tables or forms or fields or querys or repoerts. ex: tablename or table name fieldname or field name etc. Therfore using the caption to clarify the table, field etc. Is one way better for writing sql or code or expression, calculations. Thank you. The Lord's Blessings on your day Spaces make it slightly more complex, as you'll have to bracket your names.. but it's a fairly trivial difference. "MaRSMAN" wrote: > Is it best to not leave have a space between names of tables or forms or > fields ...

Line up text with baseline guide AND have space between paragraphs
I have text boxes with multiple columns and I want to vertically align the lines of text across columns, which I've done by aligning my body text style to the baseline guides. But I also want a space between each paragraph that is smaller than a whole line spacing (in Word it would be 12pt font with space after paragraph = 6pt). I have tried adjusting my baseline guide spacings and my style paragraph settings to every possible combination but I can't seem to achieve this. Settings currently are: body text = TNR 10pt, line spacing 10pt baseline guide = spacing = 13pt, offset =...

space in log file cannot be reused
Im a GP tech and I recently ran a GP company DB upgrade on SQL05 - 5 companies made it - one did not. I tried 2 more times and ran into this error each time: transaction log for company ID full. To find out why the space in the log cannot be re-used see the log_reuse_wait_desc column in the sys.databases? How do I open that table in temp DB to view that column? and it also states to remove the temporary table at the database level. after several repeated MBS GP support request yesterday that led no where - I am seeking SQL specific assistance -- S Ibbotson MCITP - ...

Tab key won't create tab spaces
I recently moved from Word 2003 to Word 2007. All my previous files using forms that were set up for users to tab through for ease of filling out information transfered over to word 2007 with this same functionality. However, now I am unable to create tab spaces using the tab key in these files. In Word 2003 I simply turned off this setting through tools->options. I do have a work around using <CTRL><TAB> to insert a tab space, however I would like know how to restore the normal functionality of the tab key for editing documents, and then use the protection fea...

Can't find icon that shows space used up.
Good morning! I tried last week and then again today to find the icon that shows us, when pressing it, the space all our emails are taking up. (It helps to know when to go back to purge older stuff once the amount starts getting very big.) I had it in the toolbar at my last job but this O2K backup's toolbar is an earlier version that doesn't have that icon. Can someone pls tell me under which category to find it and what it might be called? I found this one originally by accident and after looking through the categories and the items available one by one, I couldn't...

Out of Stack Space ... Recorded Macros
Excel2003 ... I know nothing of writing Code ... I Record Macros only ... That said ... SS working fine until I started getting error (Out of Stack Space) Is there "HELP" for me??? ... Thanks ... Kha SS Calculation set to "Manual" ... Here is my Recorded Code ... I am getting "Out of Stack Space" message on "Calculate" ... However, SS allows me to F9 Calculate??? Sub Sort_Type_Rec_Ascend() ' ' Sort_Type_Rec_Ascend Macro ' ' a = MsgBox("SORT ... Type Record (Ascending)?", vbYesNo, "ATTENTION!&...

Can not get Excel macros to save chart format -lost in space!
Help??? I've been searching this forum for 5 days trying to find a problem similar to what I am having without any luck. I have been trying to use Excel macro to record the creation, formating and saving of a simple bar chart against my Excel data range but the macros do not run for the chart. I am able to creat the charts okay but the macro craps out when I run it. I keep getting " Set ActiveChart = ActiveSheet.ChartObjects(Chart1)" type errors as if it's not recognizing the chart that I just made. I am an advanced Excel person BUT not so with VB coding. ...

Blank Spaces Help
Is there a way to make the spaces between the " "'s be determined by the length of characters of Sheet2!G9. What I need is a total of 8 characters including the spaces that precede the number (Sheet2!G9) . Example first number is 43 . I need the number of spaces to be 6 then my number Second number is 120. I need the number of spaces to be 5 then my number I was trying to use LEN but couldn't get anywhere. =CONCATENATE(" ",Sheet2!G9,Sheet2!H9) Any help suggestions would be appreciated T.I.A. dayton, try this formula which adds spaces to the beginning o...

Force spaces in a cell (Excel 2003)
Hi all, I need to force a specified number of spaces in a cell so, when the file is saved in .CSV format, results a delimited and spaced file. For example, something like this: testCellA1 ;testCellB1 ; etc How can I obtain this? Thanks in advance. -- Luigi http://blogs.dotnethell.it/ciupaz/ You can do it with the REPT function - suppose you want the field to be 20 characters wide: =3DA1&REPT(20-LEN(A1)," ") Hope this helps. Pete On Aug 1, 8:09=A0am, Luigi <ciupazNoSpamGra...@inwind.it> wrote: > Hi all, > I need to force a specified number of s...

Remove white space when printing brochure
Good day! I am creating a 3 panel brochure for our department. I am trying to make a panel green. When I print preview it, there's always this white space on my images. How do I remove the white space? I wnat the whole panel to be my image with no margins. Thanks. Could be your printer margin limitation. See here: http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/horidiag -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "ditto917" <ditto917@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:782593DC-DDFF-4E85-B58A-75810E2CCB65@microsoft.com... > Good day! I am cr...

Excel
I am creating a spreadsheet that contains a column of text followed columns of figures. I have a lot to fit into one page, the font is small, and the description in the text field varies in length. How can I fill the following white space with dots to make it easier to determine which figure follows the text in the preceding column? Shading or colour is not appropriate to aid reading along the row as the spreadsheet will be photocopied. It is not appropriate to create the file in Word, because the figures are updated from other cells on the spreadsheet. Select the text column & fo...

removing space from the start of a string
hi all; i have a list of a million names to sort. some names have a space at the beginning and thus appear at the top (A->Z sort) irrespective of the actual first letter. how do i check for and remove such spaces? eg " vista" should be replaced by "vista" and sorted accordingly. Thanks and regards Suppose your names are in column A: In a helper column type =TRIM(A1). Copy and PasteSpecial Values to get rid of the formulas. JM "n" <nikhil.abhyankar@gmail.com> wrote in message news:a8c57c02-cfde-4204-838b-cb485a95dd0c@59g2000hsb.googlegroups.com... ...

Inefficient Space Usage
Can anybody tell me how to get rid of a little box that reads "Drag a Column Header Here to Group by that Column"? The grey box causes the entire grey inbox area to expand, which wastes space on my screen. I've spent hours trying to get rid of it, but cannot, and it drives me crazy that it is there. Thanks, Steve Rightclick the top columns (From, Subject, etc) and choose Group By Box -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News Also Outlook FAQ, How To's, Downloads and more... Tip of the month: -Tips for cleaning up your mai...

Unwanted spaces
In a column, for 3400 rows, How do I get rid of an unwanted space preceding the sentence and make sure the first letter of the sentence is capitalized. This formula should do the trick. =UPPER(LEFT(TRIM(A1)))&RIGHT(TRIM(A1),LEN(TRIM(A1))-1) enter it in a unused column, Copy down and then Copy-Paste Special Values back to column A -- If this helps, please remember to click yes. "LeisaA" wrote: > In a column, for 3400 rows, How do I get rid of an unwanted space preceding > the sentence and make sure the first letter of the sentence is capitalize...

Adding additional address space
I am attempting to add another address space to be used by another department into my Exchange 2003. I have added a connector for that address and a smtp virtual server to handle another IP I am forwarding it to. The users can send email using the new name, however they cannot recieve mail. Am I approaching this wrong or just have something misconfigured? Thanks for your help. You need to create a recipient policy with that address space. Recipient Policies define what address spaces Exchange is responsible for. I'm also not sure what you are attempting to do with having Exchange ...

Windows 2008 backup runs out of disk space
Hi A win8k server which is part of sbs 2003 domain is configured to run backup to disk via windows server backup. Problem is that disk (1TB) has run out of space. There seem to be 11 copies as per backup console. Is there a way to configure backup to delete old copies as the space needs require? What is the solution from here to create some space on disk? Many Thanks Regards I just run a scheduled task after every backup (or add this to the task that runs the backup) that executes a .cmd file that cleans up files older then X days on the server where the backup is l...

Replace Certain Spaces
I have a list of names such as Green, Tom White, Bill Du Red, Mary Blue, Peggy Sue I want to loop through the names list and replace the space between double names with a nonbreaking space and leave the space after the ",". TIA Greg One way: =SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A1,", ","##"),CHAR (32),CHAR(160)),"##",", ") HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >I have a list of names such as > >Green, Tom >White, Bill >Du Red, Mary >Blue, Peggy Sue >I want to loop through the names list and replace the ...