merging 2 cells without losing data?

How can I merge 2 cells without losing data from the other cell?

0
bobree (1)
4/2/2004 6:54:07 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi Bob

Not possible I'm afraid. Try placing the dat from both cells into one
and use "Center across selection" under Format>Cells>Alignment

Merge cells always end up causing grief. they are best avoided.

Excel Templates, Training & Add-ins.
Free Excel Forum http://www.ozgrid.com/forum *****
0
dave2624 (251)
4/2/2004 7:05:35 AM
"bob" <bobree@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> How can I merge 2 cells without losing data from the other cell?

0
stefanha (71)
4/2/2004 7:25:33 AM
Hi Bob
this can only be done with VBA. Try the following macro (which merges
the selection)
Sub merge_cells()
Dim ret_str
Dim rng As Range
Dim cell As Range
Set rng = Selection
For Each cell In rng
    If cell.Value <> "" Then
        If ret_str = "" Then
            ret_str = cell.Value
        Else
            ret_str = ret_str & Chr(10) & cell.Value
        End If
    End If
Next
Application.DisplayAlerts = False
With rng
    .MergeCells = True
    .Value = ret_str
End With
Application.DisplayAlerts = True
End Sub

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

bob wrote:
> How can I merge 2 cells without losing data from the other cell?
0
frank.kabel (11126)
4/2/2004 9:20:04 AM
IF you're doing it frequently, look here:

    http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/mergedata.html

In article <#JuOM9HGEHA.2308@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>,
 "bob" <bobree@hotmail.com> wrote:

> How can I merge 2 cells without losing data from the other cell?
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)

Linking files 2 ways

Merging Two Office Data Files
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0038_01C3C6E7.505DB790 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Here is the situation: I've a desktop and a laptop. Before I bought the laptop I was using MS = Outlook on my desktop. Now that I'm using my laptop mostly, I would like = to have my old emails from my desktop Outlook merged with the laptop = Outlook emails. I don't want to replace the laptop outlook files with = the desktop outlook files is the folder - C:\Documents and = Settings\Laptop\Lo...

Using Relative path for XML data file?

More Columns #2

Offline Synchronization Problem #2

Contacts in Exchange #2

default values in a cell

Goal Seek #2

data sort

Pulling data from separate tabs

Help with importing data

Increment A2 from A1 and A2 Sum #2

Formula for cross tab data filling

predict future data

form base authentication #2
This is killing me. I'm implementing form base authentication. I have SSL and everything working but for one problem when use won't to get to owa they type mail.domain.com which then defaults to http://mail.domain.com. the problem I'm having is that FBA need it to default to https not http. How can I get it to default to HTTPS with out telling the uses to type https? I am implementing this on a FE/BE environment wayne .. What I do is change the http port on the main site to something like 8080, and then create a new site that listens on 80. For that site, instead of...

Formating text in cells
Hello, does anyone know how to force Excel to keep the hyphen or dash character (-) with the associated numbers when putting multiple dash-#s in a cell and turning "wrap" formating on? This is the same problem I have in Word; when I add dash-#s (ie; -xxx, -yyy, -zzz) Office apps interpret dashes ( - ) as a hypehen to a word and will keep the dash/hyphen on the line above until there are enough characters to force the dash/hyphen to the next line. In my work we use the format; -xxx, -yyy, -zzz to denote multiple versions of the same base part. Work instructions to operators...