Merged cells not copied properly

With some frequency, we have noted that cells are unmerged when copied.
Generally speaking, we are copying a row and pasting it or inserting it in a
new location.  However, the clone is not always a clone, because the merged
cells in the original are often unmerged either into smaller merged groups
or into individual cells.

Anyone have any idea what is going on here?

0
mailrichard (109)
2/20/2009 1:55:01 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Linking many cells
I wish to link many cells in (e.g. A1:40) in sheet 1 to A1:A40 in sheet 2 without doing it one by one so that whaever I type in A1 sheet 1 appears in A1 sheet 2. Please any idea? dk As long as your 'from' and 'to' blocks are structured identically (eg 1 column of forty rows in your example), it's straightforward. Click in the first 'to' cell, Sheet1!A1. Type the '=' sign, then click in the first 'from' cell, Sheet2!A1, then hit enter. Your formula in Sheet!A1 should read =Sheet2!A1 (look for it in the formula bar). Grab the fill handle (th...

Cell Reference 01-12-10
What I am looking for is that when I enter a formula (In cell B1) to pick up value in A1. Now I need value from cell A5 in cell B2. Next value I need in B3 is A9. Everytime I have to change the cell values manually in column B. Formula I use : - =IF(OR(AK64<$D$4,AK64=$D$4),H331,0) Now I need value from cell H336 and I manually change H331 to H336 shown below =IF(OR(AK64<$D$4,AK64=$D$4),H336,0) Any way to make this automated. Thanks Ankur Bhateja ankur.bhateja@hotmail.com Instead of =IF(OR(AK64<$D$4,AK64=$D$4),H331,0) you could say =IF(AK64<=$D$4,H331,0) ...

Auto change formula in cells when source is changed
Good day experts; If specific cells have the same formula for example: C1 = Product( A1;B1) C16 = Product(A16;B16) C17= Product(A17;B17) And so on ... What formula should i write in C16, C17, ... so that: when the formula in the source cell, C1, is changed the formulas in C16, C17, ... would automatically change accordingly. I tried "=C1" it does not work Thanks in advance Carlo carlo wrote: > Good day experts; > > If specific cells have the same formula for example: > C1 = Product( A1;B1) > C16 = Product(A16;B16) > C17= Product(A17;B17) > And so on ... ...

Merging Information
Hi all, I would like to merge information from two cells into one: Example A1=Product Code B1=Model NOTE: Each column has the same amount of rows Can I copy the entire column from B1 and bring it together in colomn A1 WITHOUT overwriting the information in colomn A1??? Cheers, -- Pheng ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Pheng's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=6234 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=277637 Hi you can't do it directly into column A without using cod...

decimal spaces toolong when mail merging from excel
I recive data in an excel spreadsheet that contains in one column a number expressed as " 5.55" which is supposed to be a percentage, but when I try to mailmerge the data, it mailmerges as "5.55061561650660". In other words it carries out the decimal place more than 2 digits, which is not what I want. I have tried formatting the cell, rounding, hand typing the information in another column and deleting the column that contained the original information (which I am sure was edited from 5.55061561650660.) How can I fix this problem so that when I mail merge it comes ou...

why do i get #### in my formula cell?
I don't really know much about Excel, and my formula (it's just simple arithmetic formulas) returns with ##### displayed on the cell, with a tooltip showing the cell's correct value when I hover over it. airn, make the column wider and see if that helps -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "airn" <airn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C6F4DD7C-3D7D-475C-894D-0F7745735666@microso...

How to paste a cells row from Excel to a PowerPoint 2003 Table row?
Hello! How to paste a row of cells from Excel to a PowerPoint 2003 Table row? PowerPoint 2003 pastes all the row cells values in every cell in the row in the PowerPoint table if I select the row in the PP table before the pasting. PP pastes the row as an overlapping column if I place cursor in the first cell of the target row before pasting. Best regards, Dima +7 9163876746 +7 9035093892 ...

Excel formula copied down
Is there a way to copy down a column this formula =F3*A2 and have the A2 stay the same all the way down? The F3 would change on each row, F4, F5 etc. but the A2 would stay 'constant'. Thanks in advance for any help! =F3*A$2 -- Ian -- "Pat" <Pat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:73505B29-538A-48C7-8F2F-F6126EF2126B@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to copy down a column this formula =F3*A2 and have the A2 > stay > the same all the way down? The F3 would change on each row, F4, F5 etc. > but > the A2 would stay 'constant'...

I can copy but won't paste
I was able to copy and paste then not sure why but it would only paste the same txt over and over, not allowing new txt copied to be paste. Now I cant paste at all. It will copy but when I click paste it does nothing, help! This could be a poorly designed add-in interfering with copy and paste operations. Did you install something recently? -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "Sarlou" <Sarlou@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0E5E33F7-2387-4DBC-809E-AA97F930CEF5@microsoft.com... >I was able to copy and paste then not sure why but it would o...

How to show the month of the referenced cell (containing a date)
If a cell holds the date "2/1/08", what formula can I use that will give me the following result: "Feb - 08" I tried =Month(a2)......but I just get the number of the month. Thanks. =TEXT(A2,"mmm - yy") Or simply =A2 with the cell custom formatted mmm - yy HTH. Best wishes Harald "Dave K" <fred.sheriff@gmail.com> skrev i melding news:165b03da-19ba-40b8-b9fe-77b17ef045b5@d45g2000hsc.googlegroups.com... > If a cell holds the date "2/1/08", what formula can I use that will > give me the following result: > > "Feb - 08&...

Conditional Formating: linking to display another cell
Hello, I am trying to make a traffic light with symbols and I've read to 'use a separate cell for the dropdown choices, with their resulting value linked into the formatted cell through an IF function, using the character that you want to display.' So: =IF someone enters '1' in B8, THEN display contents of $C$4 (will it display font and attributes?) =IF someone enters '2' in B8, THEN display contents of $C$5 =IF someone enters '3' in B8, THEN display contents of $C$6 But I've been reading everywhere and CF is very new to me and I need ...

Copying values from place to place
Hello community: Is it possible say, to type a value in a textbox in one form (Form A), automatically copy that value, then open another form( Form B) and automatically paste that value into another textbox in Form B? Is this possible? Thank you for your help. -Gabriel M. If you open Form B from Form A you can use the OpenArgs of the OpenForm command line to pass a value to Form B. docmd.OpenForm "FormName",,,,,,Me.TextBoxName On the OnLoad event of the Form B you can use set the value in the text box If not IsNull(Me.OpenArgs) Then Me.TextBox = Me.OpenArgs End If -- ...

Run two copies of Outlook with different profiles
Hello! I'm trying to run two copies of Outlook with different (outlook)profiles at the same time. Normally i can choose the profile with the /profile switch, but if there is already a copy of outlook running, this switch seems to be ignored. Any ideas how to handle this are welcome. Regards, Reinhard "Reinhard" <reinhard.spieker@bkvibro.de> wrote in message news:60a7e218.0311190408.6523100b@posting.google.com... > Hello! > > I'm trying to run two copies of Outlook with different > (outlook)profiles at the same time. > > Normally i can choose the p...

simple? pasting simple formula, error on copy
I have some store buying spreadsheets I made up. Very very basic, one of the columns has a total at the bottom or end as you may call it for total $ amount bought. that final number is in c33. c1, c2, c3 etc is a amount from each vendor. I want to have a column telling me the percentage being spent on each, simple enough so I make a column with the following formula =c33/c5. I get a number, change it to percentage and BAM I have exactly what I want. I pasted that formula and pasted it into all the other rows of that certain column, but I keep getting the #div/0 error, cause the new formulas...

Cell with email address
I have a cell where I just want to record an email address. However, whenever I enter it tries to connect to Outlook, thinking I want to send an email. How can I stop this? -- Les Les It shouldn't try to connect unless you click on it but you can precede the entry with a single apostrophe or press Ctrl+Z after entry (undo) and a second entry should stop it -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "Les" <Les@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9B53EE8A-A0A8-4AFD-A09F-116DDE063747@microsoft.co...

OWA not work properly
When users go to http://sitename/exchange they get the yellow OWA screen without the graphics. If I enter username, I get "HTTP Error 404 - Not Found". I have NT 4.0 SP6a, Exchange 5.5 SP4, and IIS 4.0 with all the latest updates. In Internet Service Manager, in the Default Web Site properties, I have the redirect to the above URL in the Home Directory tab. Under the Directory Security tab I have both Anonymous and Challenge/Response. In the Exchange folder properties (in Internet Service Manager) under the Virtual Directory tab I have the Local Path "c:\exchsrvr\webdata&quo...

Print multiple copies per sheet
I have a pubisher file that is a card with a size of 5 x 6 and is 2 pages. Is it possible to print 2 copies of this file on a letter size page so that there will be 2 double sided copies on the letter size page. I need to laminate these cards so if I could get 2 per page I would just need to cut the page in half. I am using Publisher 2003. Thanks in advance for any help. Best regards, Dee Page setup, Business card, change copies per sheet, Side margin 1.25, top margin ..5, zero gaps, okay out, in the next screen change the measurements to width 6" height 5". The above will...

can I make cell "yes" equal 1, "no" equal 0
in another cell? =IF(AND(A1<>"yes",A1<>"no"),"",(A1="yes")*1+(A1="no")*0) -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "can I make cell yes equal 1, no equa" <can I make cell "yes" equal 1, "no" equa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8E222344-E390-4D39-B82D-39586CC55A64@microsoft.com... > Picky but I don't think that you need the " +(A1="no")*0 " Just =IF(AND(A1<>"yes",A1<>"no"),"&quo...

Using Jet to read excel file returns blank for last cell
With VB6 I am opening an Excel file to query the contents using ADO. I am then using the contents of the worksheet to create a format file that is used for a bulk insert into SQL Server. We designed the program this way so that users can use a spreadsheet to import data in any format they want and process the data based on values set in the spreadsheet. This keeps us from having to design new tables and format files for new record layouts which come down pretty often. Everything works fine usually. There is just one perculiarity that is happening with the Excel file. Sometimes, th...

Find a value in cells
Hi, all, I have something like this : a 1 b 4 c 5 d 3 I'm doing a max function in the number column and it returns me '5' But, after that, I want to know the letter which corresponds to the max number How can I do that? Thanks Nic -- nicgendron ------------------------------------------------------------------------ nicgendron's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25151 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=386417 Let's say that...

Detecting Case of Text in a Cell
Hi All I know it's possible to change the case of text in a cell in Excel using Lower, Upper and Proper, but is there a function that tells me the current case of the text? A user has a spreadsheet of catalogue items, some in proper case and some in upper. He wants to seperate those in upper case into a separate sheet but I can't think of an easy way of doing it. Can anyone help? Colin -- Colin Vicary ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Colin Vicary's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=10472 View this...

Getting cells to automatically delete spaces
Hi all I have got a very large spreadsheet where the information is presente as: 111111/ 1 Notice the two spaces after the forward slash. There's about 10'00 cells in the column with varying numbers but all in the above format. I need to get the two spaces deled so that it will appear as: 111111/1 Is there a way i can get excel to proccess this for me. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. Darre -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Darren, Select the required area or a whole sheet, and do a simple Replace (Edit menu), asking Excel to replace s...

Copying specific data from Word to Excel
What I need to do is 1) Extract the monetary amount (always after the 2nd asterisk (*) after the letters BPR. 2) Extract the number (always after the 2nd asterisk (*) after the letters TRN. 3) Place the numbers in the same row on an Excel spreadsheet. 4) Repeat to the end of the document. Sample data BPR*I*925.79*C*ACH*CCP*01*xxxxxxxxxxxx*DA*xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx*xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx**01*xxxxxxxxxxxx*DA*xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx*20091126~TRN*1*999999999*xxxxxxxxxxxx The file I need to extract from is always text. Is this better done from a Word macro or an Excel macro. Or can it be done at al...

Identifying LOCKED cells
Is there a way to identify locked cells, other than going through the processof looking at each cell's format? Here's by quandry. I am working a worksheet which has both locked and unlocked cells. Unfortunately some of the locked cells should be unlocked so that data can be input. Thanks for your help To reply to this message, remove "mand" from my address. Thanks I've dragged the lock button onto a toolbar. When I click on a cell, I can glance at that and see if it's depressed (not suicidal!) or not. Tools|Customize|Commands Tab|Format category. Look for "Lo...

enter value in a cell from a combo box
How to build a combo box to be able to select a value and enter in the cell 1. Go to View > Toolbars > Control Toolbox 2. Click on the "Combobox" icon once and draw one on your worksheet (hold down the ALT button to fit to a cell). 3. Right-click on the Combobox and go to Properties. 4. In the ListFillRange type in the range of cells that contain the values to fill the combobox, like A1:A5. 5. In the LinkedCell field type a cell reference that will contain the user's selection (ie E2). 6. Click on the Exit Design Mode icon and close the toolbar. HTH Jason Atlanta, GA ...