Merge two excel files

    	I have two excel files with the same cell layout.  Some of the
entries in the first file are identical to the second file.  How do I merge
the two files so that the resulting file has no duplicates?  Thanks in
advance.  Tom

--
So long and thanks for all the fish!
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Tom,

Copy the entries from the second file into the first, below the other
entries (don't copy the header row).  Then save the file under a new name.

I'm going to assume that your data starts in cell A2, with headers in row 1,
and extends down the page.

In a column to the right of the data table, enter a formula like this:

=SUMPRODUCT(($A$2:A2=A2)*($B$2:B2=B2)*($C$2:C2=C2))

If you have more than three columns, extend the formula like so (for four
columns):
=SUMPRODUCT(($A$2:A2=A2)*($B$2:B2=B2)*($C$2:C2=C2)*($D$2:D2=D2))

I hope you can see the pattern.

Then copy that cell down to match your new, large data table.

Copy the column of formulas, paste as values, then sort the entire table
based on that column. Delete any row where that value is not equal to 1.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Tom Lager" <lagertnospam@ptd.net> wrote in message
>    I have two excel files with the same cell layout.  Some of the
> entries in the first file are identical to the second file.  How do I
> merge
> the two files so that the resulting file has no duplicates?  Thanks in
> advance.  Tom
>
> --
> So long and thanks for all the fish!

0
Bernie
5/31/2008 5:46:18 PM
"Bernie Deitrick" <deitbe @ consumer dot org> wrote in

> Tom,
>
> Copy the entries from the second file into the first, below the other
> entries (don't copy the header row).  Then save the file under a new
> name.
>
> I'm going to assume that your data starts in cell A2, with headers in
> row 1, and extends down the page.
>
> In a column to the right of the data table, enter a formula like this:
>
>=SUMPRODUCT(($A$2:A2=A2)*($B$2:B2=B2)*($C$2:C2=C2))
>
> If you have more than three columns, extend the formula like so (for
> four columns):
>=SUMPRODUCT(($A$2:A2=A2)*($B$2:B2=B2)*($C$2:C2=C2)*($D$2:D2=D2))
>
> I hope you can see the pattern.
>
> Then copy that cell down to match your new, large data table.
>
> Copy the column of formulas, paste as values, then sort the entire
> table based on that column. Delete any row where that value is not
> equal to 1.
>
> HTH,
> Bernie
> MS Excel MVP
>

> "Tom Lager" <lagertnospam@ptd.net> wrote in message
>>    I have two excel files with the same cell layout.  Some of the
>> entries in the first file are identical to the second file.  How do I
>> merge
>> the two files so that the resulting file has no duplicates?  Thanks
>> in advance.  Tom
>>
>> --
>> So long and thanks for all the fish!

Thanks Bernie.  I'll give it a try.

--
So long and thanks for all the fish!

Excel 2007

Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.

MS Money 95 data files

Excel not Access

Where is the workspace file stored?

help with simple maths in excel

Opening Excel Workbooks

cant start outlook pst file to large

How do I use traffic lights in excel

opening .bak file

Trying to read XML file into dataset

Excel DNS query

Excel Problem

Merge- top to bottom not left to right
I ahve a list of over 300 names that i am tryiing merge onto a ticket format that carries 8 tickets to a page. Problem is when I try and merge I get all the same name on the 8 tickets each page 300 times. I want to have each name only once --or 8 names per page. If I merge and change the format by taking and changing each of the 8 tickets ( name1, name2, name3 etc.) That turns into me ahveing to change up all my names by moving them from top to bottom and going left toright. If I could just merge them eight at a time in each column that would be great. Since you say your list contains over 3...

How do I copy data in single cell format to a merged cell format
I need to copy a list of data in single cell format into a spreadsheet where those same columns are merged cells (with four cells merged into one). I have several hundred lines of data so some way of copy & paste (other than each cell individually) would be appreciated. Thanks Paul Hi Paul What I would do is copy format of sheet with merge cells to blank sheet then copy single cell data to sheet with merge cells select single cell to paste you lose formatting so after just copy format from blank sheet created earlier I find this easiest way Hope this helps Tina "Paul" w...