Merge two cells together without losing value of one cell

Is there any way to merge two cells together without getting one value
deleted?  As an example, I'd like to add ";" after a number, but when I do a
merge the ";" would get deleted.  Thanks.
0
Sharon1 (141)
8/6/2009 11:51:01 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I have 300 cells with numbers to add ";" to.

"Sharon" wrote:

> Is there any way to merge two cells together without getting one value
> deleted?  As an example, I'd like to add ";" after a number, but when I do a
> merge the ";" would get deleted.  Thanks.
0
Sharon1 (141)
8/7/2009 12:00:03 AM
On Aug 7, 10:00=A0am, Sharon <Sha...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I have 300 cells with numbers to add ";" to.
>

> "Sharon" wrote:
> > Is there any way to merge two cells together without getting one value
> > deleted? =A0As an example, I'd like to add ";" after a number, but when=
 I do a
> > merge the ";" would get deleted. =A0Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

If you just wish to add the ; to a value in a cell you could use
either
=3DCONCATENATE(A1,";")
or
=3DA1 & ";"

hth

Regards

David
0
dheaton (109)
8/7/2009 1:50:55 AM
Thanks, David.  It works!!

"David Heaton" wrote:

> On Aug 7, 10:00 am, Sharon <Sha...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > I have 300 cells with numbers to add ";" to.
> >

> > "Sharon" wrote:
> > > Is there any way to merge two cells together without getting one value
> > > deleted?  As an example, I'd like to add ";" after a number, but when I do a
> > > merge the ";" would get deleted.  Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

> If you just wish to add the ; to a value in a cell you could use
> either
> =CONCATENATE(A1,";")
> or
> =A1 & ";"
>
> hth
>
> Regards
>
> David

0
Sharon1 (141)

Combine Two Fields Values for Totals Report
Hi Folks - I am tracking criminal cases. Each case has two combo-box disposition fields: DISP1 and DISP2. Both dispositions "lookup" the same list of dispositions, such as guilty, not guilty, waived and dismissed. I need to run a report that counts the COMBINED values of both disposition fields. So, for 4 cases, if the DISP1 field contained: Guilty Guilty Dismissed Waived and the DISP2 field contained: Guilty Dismissed Not Guilty Waived then I would need a query/report that counted the total dispositions. So the final report would be: Guilty 3 Dismissed 2 Waived 2 No...

Help
I'm using XSLT and .NET Framework 1.1 to try to transform XML to group by multiple values, and I'm not succeeding. I have source XML that looks like the following: <Data> <Flavor> <Name>Vanilla</Name> <StartDate>20070704</StartDate> <EndDate>20071231</EndDate> </Flavor> <Flavor> <Name>Chocolate</Name> <StartDate>20070704</StartDate> <EndDate>20071131</EndDate> </Flavor> <Flavor> <Name>Strawberry</Name> <StartDate>20070804</StartDate>...

We cant lose a chance
We cant lose a chance to blame the most badly written os in the entire universe! And we cant lose a chance to insult the idiots who think vista is something better than a huge turd that microsoft itself is trying to burry and forget as soon as possible "Mr Baracuda" <baracuda@slim.ws> wrote in message news:4bd89db5$1@news.x-privat.org... > We cant lose a chance to blame the most badly written os in the entire > universe! If that gives you a purpose in life, then go ahead. I would suggest trying to get employment. > And we cant lose a chanc...

populating a cell with parameters
I need to populate cells with another cell ex. if a2 thru a6 = 872 I need b2 thru b6 = text message Any suggestions on how to do it??? Enter this in B2 and copy down to B6 =IF(SUM($A$2:$A$6)=872,"is 872","not 872") OR if you mean each of A2 thru A6 = 872 then In B2 enter =IF(A2=872,"is 872","not 872") Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sat, 7 Oct 2006 17:23:02 -0700, Shannon Bisram <Shannon Bisram@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I need to populate cells with another cell > >ex. if a2 thru a6 = 872 > >I need b2 thru b6 = t...

Lookup external data by cell or range
I have a column in excel consisting of part numbers that I would like to extract information from a foxpro table. For each part number in the range I want to extract available quantity, cost, and other information from the outside table and bring it into the excel spreadsheet. I did this a long time ago with lotus 123 by printing the range of cells to a file and then use a foxpro DOS prog to extract the information from the fox table and then saved it to a text file to be imported later into lotus. I could probably do the same with excel, but I would like to automate the process furt...

Sum of all even and odd numbers between two columns
I have column "A," and "B," with random numbers listed. I need a formula to add just the even numbers in column "A," and all the odd numbers in column "B." I.E.(Range A1:A10 & B1:B10) Help! Oz One way Put in C1: =SUMPRODUCT(--(MOD(A1:A10,2)=0),A1:A10) (add even numbers in col A) Put in D1: =SUMPRODUCT(--(MOD(B1:B10,2)=1),B1:B10) (add odd numbers in col B) -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- GMT+8, 1� 22' N 103� 45' E xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com ---- "Oz" <Oz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:13BA...

How to total cells in a range with data input
Greetings to all members I am running Excel 97. An office colleague presented me with an issue that might be of interest to any Excel whiz and seasoned programmers. I would certainly appreciate any pointers in solving it. So here goes. The set of values includes 33 cells ranging from B4:D14. The data type is numeric. Data is only input in a few cells. QUESTION What would be the function to enter in, say, cell A15 to indicate the total number of cells in range B4:D14 that have received data input? Or does it involve some behind the scene VBA programming? EXAMPLE B6 = 9 C9 = 4 D11 ...

How to set cell validation in excel using name range?
I have 2 worksheets in my workbook. First worksheet has name range (for example a1:b5 name = valName). In another worksheet I want to create cell validation as combobox by using value from range name "valName" in first worksheet as it source. How can I do that in C#? ...

Is there any way to split contents of a cell into more cells.
in a cell i am having date like 123, 435, 546, 546. I want now the 123 in one cell, 435 in another cell, 546 in another cell and so on. It there any way to split the contents of a cell into more cells. Hi, Have a look at Data|Text to columns and use comma as a delimiter. -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question. "saravanan" wrote: > in a cell i am having date like 123, 435, 546, 546. I want now the 123 in one > cell, 435 in anot...

Mandatory entry for a group of cells?
How do I designate a group of cells as requiring an entry, without using a macro? I'd use a nice visible cell and format it in big bold red letters. Say your range you want to check is 3 cells (a1:A3). Then in B1: =if(counta(a1:a3)=3,"","You must enter all three cells") Actually, I like to use an adjacent cell for each cell that must be filled in. =if(a1="","","<-- This cell cannot be left blank!") JB wrote: > > How do I designate a group of cells as requiring an entry, without using a > macro? -- Dave Peterson Hi ...

Updating Consecutive Cells in a Range
How can I update the next consecutive empty cell in a range each time a value is entered in the same cell? For eample, I enter bank account balances in cell c4. Each time the next consecutive empty cell in range c6:c20 updates with the value entered. Thanks for your help. Do you mean =$C$4 in the Range C6:C20? -- Regards Dave Hawley www.ozgrid.com "Stilltrader47" <Stilltrader47@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7E0FFB22-F089-47AF-B64B-87DA60B19C7D@microsoft.com... > How can I update the next consecutive empty cell in a range each...

How to dinamic cell that searches for "value1 & value2" in table.
Hi I have an excell sheet with columns city and comercename i would like to make a dinamic cell that searches for city=Lisbon & comercename=cars and it would search the entire database and crate an output with all entries witch respected city=lisbon and comercename=cars. How to? Hi Have a look at Data/Filter/Autofilter. -- Andy. "armindo" <armindo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4A59A9F3-6C05-4897-8495-5A2457EC5639@microsoft.com... > Hi > > I have an excell sheet with columns city and comercename i would like to > make a dinamic cel...

hide row 5 if a zero in cell D5
To All The code below is copied from a reply (by Frank Kabel) to a previous post. It hides all rows with a zero in column D Sub hide_rows( Dim RowNdx As Lon Dim LastRow As Lon LastRow = ActiveSheet.Cells(Rows.Count, "D").End(xlUp).Ro For RowNdx = LastRow To 1 Step - If Cells(RowNdx, "D").Value = 0 The Rows(RowNdx).Hidden = Tru End I Next RowNd End Su Does anyone know how to re-write the code to hide row 5 if a zero is in cell D5 Thanks, btk Hi! Try Sub hide_row5() If range("D5").Value = 0 Then Rows(5).Hidden = True End Sub Al -- Message...

2 sided document one side upside down!
I'm creating a 2 sided document on 11x17 paper. The problem is no matter what i try, one side of the paper is flipped, so when you fold it, then open it, you have to turn it around. Can anyone help?? In the printer settings change from tablet to booklet. -- Don Vancouver, USA "bain_monica" <bain_monica@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4BC3578A-A4A3-494F-B778-646DBAAAD1EF@microsoft.com... > I'm creating a 2 sided document on 11x17 paper. The problem is no matter > what i try, one side of the paper is flipped, so when you fold it, then ...

How to get value out of formulae
I'm having problems with formulae. I type a formula into a cell and I get the formula; I can't get the value. When I copy a cell with a formula, the value is copied not the relative formula. Frustrating. This hasn't happened to me before until I moved the spreadsheet to a machine using another version of Excel 2000. sometimes I get it to work with a combination of format changes of the reference cells and the formula cell but I can't fix it consistently. Any ideas? Kozmo First check under tools>options>calculations and see if you have manual calculation, if so set...

TWO QUESTIONS
Greetings, I am using Visio 2003. How do I turn off the feature that automatically assigns equipment tags to everything? I don't want to have to do this each time I make a new drawing. When I have added some tags and then copy the drawing to a new page so I can make revisions ( I cut and paste ) I find I lose my tags and get new ones. This might be related to (solved by) the question above. Is the an MVP web page for Visio? Thanks in advance for your help!! Ray I suspect that the 'tags' your are referring to are shape id's which are unique to each shape on each pag...

Two questions
Hi, Is there a way that I can set up a spreadsheet row that would print automatically row headings on every new sheet, regardless if cells move up or down? Secondly, how can I get cell B1 in sheet 2 to look at column A in sheet 1 for a specific e.g. G1 and then for the cells in the row the specific is found in sheet1 to be directly copied to sheet 2. E.g Cell B1 in sheet 2 looks for G1 in sheet 1 and finds it in cell A5, then for the cells B5 to H5 in sheet 1 to be copied to cells B1 to H1 in sheet 2? Thank you in advance Jason Hi. 1. Choose File, Page Setup, Sheet tab, Rows to re...

Y Axis : Dynamically Hardcode Min/Max Values?
I have a number of data tables in a summary topsheet. I have added a dynamic table that uses the indirect function to populate this grid and generate a graph for only the data our execs want to see. If I choose the "Auto" feature to assign the Min/Max Value of the Y Axis, some of the lines in the chart appear too flat... I need to be able to assign Min/Max Values for the Y-Axis based on my criteria, not Excel's default selcetions (i.e. the min value should almost never be 0 on these graphs, but from chart to chart, some are 10 some would be 10,000). I am using Excel 2003 ...

How to download file from web without utilizing much bandwidth?
Hello All, CInternetSession and CHttpFile classes are used to download file from web. I wrote a program to download file. But I really surprised when I saw how Windows download its updates, It downloads very smoothly without affecting other programs that also utilizes Internet. It downloads updates without utilizing much bandwidth and distrubing other programs. I can do so by downloading the file in thread with low priority, but the question is Will it make sense to write low priority thread because OS will schedule my thread when no other threads with high priority are running. So many times...

Quicker way of chaning Cell ref in Define Name
Hi, I have excel files which using define names. There are a lot of define names, each referencing to colum A to W with different row number. Columns C1 - W1 represent the date (working date only exclude Saturday and Sunday) for the month of June For example, A1 = Category 1 Name B1 = Category 2 Name C1 = Jun 01, 2004 D1 = Jun 02, 2004 E1 = Jun 03, 2004 .... W1 = Jun 30,2004 I may call A1-W1= Bonus then A2-W2= Rebates etc. For July we have 1 extra days, being 31 days, so I have to add a column (Column X) for July 31, 2004. In order for the Name reference to be correct, I have to c...

How do I shuffle a group of cells randomly in Excel?
generally this is achieved via the use of a "helper"column - another column adjacent to what you want to sort where you type in a function to generate random numbers (e.g. =ROUND(RAND()*100,0) ) and then you change this column from a formula to values (copy it, select it again - edit / paste special - values) and then you sort of this column to get a "random" sort. The column can be deleted once you've sorted. Cheers JulieD "golfmoab" <golfmoab@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DF26C8FE-432C-40B2-9632-F74DCF1AD70B@microsoft.com...

View a Publisher file without having Publisher installed
Hello, we have a user that is using Publisher XP. They would like to send their newsletter to everyone in our company, but they are the only one that has Publisher installed. Is there a way for them to distribute the newsletter to everyone? Or is there a Publisher viewer we can install on everyone's PC? Thanks ..PDF files are the cleanest way to handle this but suggested reading is: http://www.mvps.org/publisher/sharing.html There is no viewer available. "Angus Young" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4e7c01c3ffec$63eb8510$a001280a@phx.gb...

Sharepoint Designer 2007
Hi I am building a website that uses a frames layout where there is a top frame with a logo and navigation buttons, a contents frame and a main frame. When opened the viewer starts off on a News page for which there is a menu in the contents frame. If the viewer then navigates to, say, the photo gallery page the contents menu change accordingly but the contents of the main frame remain as for the News page. Is it possible to ensure that two frames are loaded when the relevant navigation button is clickedwithout the viewer having to click on one of the menu buttons in the c...

sumif (with two criterias)
I use following Syntax which works very well: sumif(c4:u620;e777;w4:w621) the cell "e77 " is the criteria how can I summarize when I use two criterias? For example the criterias are on cell E777 and F777 You can concatenate the values of E777 and F777 e.g =(E777&F777) or =concatenate(E777:F777) Result is E777F777 and you will have the result of E777F777... With this result you can use the sunif function >-----Original Message----- >I use following Syntax which works very well: >sumif(c4:u620;e777;w4:w621) >the cell "e77 " is the criteria > >how can...

trying to create a totals sheet that will get data from one or many sheets
I have a work book that I use for a time sheet. It contains four worksheets 1) "blank time card" 2) "employees 3) "job numbers" 4) "totals" What I am trying to do is take the value from range "b8 to b31" ( the job numbers) and it's corresponding total times from "q8 to q31"&"r8 to r31" from ANY worksheet other than the ones named above (1-4) and put the data on sheet "totals". Now for the kicker... sheet "me" may contain one or more job numbers, and the next sheet "you" may not have the s...