memory problem of Excel 2003 copy & paste

Hi all,

I am using Excel 2003 for some project.

I am having 2GB C drive harddisk space.

After a while, the Excel begins to be extremely slow in copy and
paste...

It takes about half an hour to copy and paste just a few cells...

I've consulted people. It seems a memory problem.

But I cannot close my windows and kill the processes, because I am
running long-running (overnight) jobs...

I cannot reboot either.

Is there a way to clean the memory and let Excel 2003 clipboard
function properly without rebooting or killing my 4 long-running
processes?

Thanks!

p.s. I am sure this is an issue due to the special clipboard feature
of Excel 2003. It's very weird, is there a way to get rid of that
feature?

When the copy&paste was hung, I also checked the task manager, and
found no CPU usage for this particular operation, every single
copy&paste will cost me 30 minutes. And my colleagues are having the
same problem.

They say the only way out for them was to reboot...

How stupid is Excel 2003!
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Please show your code.  There may be ways to speed it up.

Barb Reinhardt

"LunaMoon" wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am using Excel 2003 for some project.
>
> I am having 2GB C drive harddisk space.
>
> After a while, the Excel begins to be extremely slow in copy and
> paste...
>
> It takes about half an hour to copy and paste just a few cells...
>
> I've consulted people. It seems a memory problem.
>
> But I cannot close my windows and kill the processes, because I am
> running long-running (overnight) jobs...
>
> I cannot reboot either.
>
> Is there a way to clean the memory and let Excel 2003 clipboard
> function properly without rebooting or killing my 4 long-running
> processes?
>
> Thanks!
>
> p.s. I am sure this is an issue due to the special clipboard feature
> of Excel 2003. It's very weird, is there a way to get rid of that
> feature?
>
> When the copy&paste was hung, I also checked the task manager, and
> found no CPU usage for this particular operation, every single
> copy&paste will cost me 30 minutes. And my colleagues are having the
> same problem.
>
> They say the only way out for them was to reboot...
>
> How stupid is Excel 2003!

Some things...
Did you have this problem before you installed XL2007?
Do you have XL2007 installed in the same folder as XL2003?
Are you running both Excel versions at the same time?
Is the copy and paste done using the keyboard or VBA code?
What is the file size?
Have you cleared the Windows temp folder?
Is your anti-virus program scanning Excel when you copy and paste?

"LunaMoon" wrote in message
[...]

Try Edit, Office Clipboard, Clear All.

If that won't work try the steps outlined by BR and JJ.

Peter Atherton

"LunaMoon" wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am using Excel 2003 for some project.
>
> I am having 2GB C drive harddisk space.
>
> After a while, the Excel begins to be extremely slow in copy and
> paste...
>
> It takes about half an hour to copy and paste just a few cells...
>
> I've consulted people. It seems a memory problem.
>
> But I cannot close my windows and kill the processes, because I am
> running long-running (overnight) jobs...
>
> I cannot reboot either.
>
> Is there a way to clean the memory and let Excel 2003 clipboard
> function properly without rebooting or killing my 4 long-running
> processes?
>
> Thanks!
>
> p.s. I am sure this is an issue due to the special clipboard feature
> of Excel 2003. It's very weird, is there a way to get rid of that
> feature?
>
> When the copy&paste was hung, I also checked the task manager, and
> found no CPU usage for this particular operation, every single
> copy&paste will cost me 30 minutes. And my colleagues are having the
> same problem.
>
> They say the only way out for them was to reboot...
>
> How stupid is Excel 2003!

0
BillyLiddel (193)
8/13/2008 1:00:25 AM
Pagefile (or Virtual memory) can be a real pain if not set up right. It
should be at least 1.5 times the actual memory. At windows installation it is
set to 1.5 times actual memory by default and this is OK. If you increase the
physical memory size, windows does not necessarily increase the Pagefile
size. Check as follows:

Windows XP: Open Control Panel -> System -> Advanced Tab -> Performance
Settings -> Advanced Tab

Windows Vista: Open Control Panel -> System -> Advanced System Settings ->
Performance Settings -> Advanced Tab

Check the size of the virtual memory and change to at least 1.5 times your
actual physical memory. That is 1500MB if you have 1000MB (1GB) memory.

Also lookup pagefile in windows help and see if any if the things mentioned
there could apply to your situation.

I am not full bottle on all the reasons but I am told that if there is
insufficient space in the Pagefile to temporarily hold all the actual memory,
windows swaps it out in dribs and drabs and it takes forever; but don't quote
me on that because it is only hear say.

Also note the other replies because it could be any reason.

--
Regards,

OssieMac

"LunaMoon" wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am using Excel 2003 for some project.
>
> I am having 2GB C drive harddisk space.
>
> After a while, the Excel begins to be extremely slow in copy and
> paste...
>
> It takes about half an hour to copy and paste just a few cells...
>
> I've consulted people. It seems a memory problem.
>
> But I cannot close my windows and kill the processes, because I am
> running long-running (overnight) jobs...
>
> I cannot reboot either.
>
> Is there a way to clean the memory and let Excel 2003 clipboard
> function properly without rebooting or killing my 4 long-running
> processes?
>
> Thanks!
>
> p.s. I am sure this is an issue due to the special clipboard feature
> of Excel 2003. It's very weird, is there a way to get rid of that
> feature?
>
> When the copy&paste was hung, I also checked the task manager, and
> found no CPU usage for this particular operation, every single
> copy&paste will cost me 30 minutes. And my colleagues are having the
> same problem.
>
> They say the only way out for them was to reboot...
>
> How stupid is Excel 2003!

0
OssieMac (238)
8/13/2008 1:08:02 AM
based on information contained in the multiple cross postings across a
couple of dozen groups. Your computer is sadly neglected, having be
passed from user to user, never having old users files removed etc. etc.
And then you start 10 instances?!?? of Excel and copy paste between them
and then wonder why eventually it fails to copy paste? If I was to
correct this PC, I would make sure I had good backups of the data files
then wipe the drive reinstall the operating system and Office.

LunaMoon wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am using Excel 2003 for some project.
>
> I am having 2GB C drive harddisk space.
>
> After a while, the Excel begins to be extremely slow in copy and
> paste...
>
> It takes about half an hour to copy and paste just a few cells...
>
> I've consulted people. It seems a memory problem.
>
> But I cannot close my windows and kill the processes, because I am
> running long-running (overnight) jobs...
>
> I cannot reboot either.
>
> Is there a way to clean the memory and let Excel 2003 clipboard
> function properly without rebooting or killing my 4 long-running
> processes?
>
> Thanks!
>
> p.s. I am sure this is an issue due to the special clipboard feature
> of Excel 2003. It's very weird, is there a way to get rid of that
> feature?
>
> When the copy&paste was hung, I also checked the task manager, and
> found no CPU usage for this particular operation, every single
> copy&paste will cost me 30 minutes. And my colleagues are having the
> same problem.
>
> They say the only way out for them was to reboot...
>
> How stupid is Excel 2003!

0
birelan (531)

Copy entire row where CellValue=0

hal!KfLowerIrql change data in system memory for SCSI miniport dri
Hi: I'm working with a SCSI miniport driver, and I encountered a very strange problem that I don't know how to handle. Plz help me figure it out, Thanks a lot! I'm trying to write a driver to present a ram disk. I have a FPGA based PCI card, but the RTL in FPGA is unable to handle the DMA operations. So I define a byte array in DEVICE_EXTENSION to present a 16MB RAM. All the data transfers and DMA operations are between the array and system memory. Question 1: I've finished the driver and it works almost successfully, but during the '...

Exchange update problem

copy my vb project... is it as easy as copying the directory..
Hi, I want to take a copy of a project so I have two projects the same.. the idea is i can play around with one, and not effect the original.. is it as easy as just using file explorer to copy the directory from say c:\project1 to c:\project2... or do the project files like forms etc have paths in them and therefore I can't just copy like this.. thanks "AussieRules" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:uzrSvxp6KHA.5112@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I want to take a copy of a project so I have two projects the same.. the > i...

Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"

Excel 2007

SQL deadlock problem

docmd.transfertext problem

Password Issue with MS Money 2003

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

Excel not Access

Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.

Problems with Public Folders replication
Hi guys, Some problems here. We have decided to install Exchange server 2003 SP1 on a new hardware with W2k3 SP1 on a new DC (yes, I know it is a bad practice, but...) instead of old Exchange server 2003 SP1 on an old DC on an old hardware. New one (additional) DC was brought live (with some minor problems, DNS, time, as always) without FSMO delegation (for now). Replication of users' accounts was smooth. Logs clear. After Exchange 2003 SP1 installation (with some DNS manipulations) also all was Ok. Dcdiag Ok. In ESM all Exchange servers are visible (old and new). So I have started ...

multiple Domain name delivery problem

Opening Excel Workbooks

Outlook 2003

help with simple maths in excel