MATCH doesn't show desired result

Good morning, all!

I have a cell in my Excel 2007 workbook which is dependent on the value of
cell A1. The result I want in cell A1 is either 1, 2, or zero. The formula
in cell A1 is:

=MATCH(TRUE,A2:A3)

When the values in cells A2 and A3 are FALSE, cell A1 shows a value of 2
when I expect a value of zero. Why is this?

Thanks,

Tucson Jeff

0
jeffwright (36)
12/21/2007 12:26:54 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

=IF(ISNA(MATCH(TRUE,A2:A3,0)),0,MATCH(TRUE,A2:A3,0))

Look in HELP for the meaning of the 3rd argument

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Jeff Wright" <jeffwright@cox.net> wrote in message news:qiOaj.17761$Rf5.10276@newsfe13.phx...
| Good morning, all!
|
| I have a cell in my Excel 2007 workbook which is dependent on the value of
| cell A1. The result I want in cell A1 is either 1, 2, or zero. The formula
| in cell A1 is:
|
| =MATCH(TRUE,A2:A3)
|
| When the values in cells A2 and A3 are FALSE, cell A1 shows a value of 2
| when I expect a value of zero. Why is this?
|
| Thanks,
|
| Tucson Jeff

0
nicolaus (2022)
12/21/2007 12:44:07 PM
Thanks, Niek! I appreciate your help.

Tucson, Jeff

"Niek Otten" <nicolaus@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> =IF(ISNA(MATCH(TRUE,A2:A3,0)),0,MATCH(TRUE,A2:A3,0))
>
> Look in HELP for the meaning of the 3rd argument
>
> --
> Kind regards,
>
> Niek Otten
> Microsoft MVP - Excel
>
> "Jeff Wright" <jeffwright@cox.net> wrote in message
> | Good morning, all!
> |
> | I have a cell in my Excel 2007 workbook which is dependent on the value
> of
> | cell A1. The result I want in cell A1 is either 1, 2, or zero. The
> formula
> | in cell A1 is:
> |
> | =MATCH(TRUE,A2:A3)
> |
> | When the values in cells A2 and A3 are FALSE, cell A1 shows a value of 2
> | when I expect a value of zero. Why is this?
> |
> | Thanks,
> |
> | Tucson Jeff

0
jeffwright (36)

Outlook slow showing messages.
Any advise on , when viewing messages through outlook 2002, When you highlight the message it takes about 15 - 30 seconds to show the message in the Preview plane. The longer the outlook is open the longer it gets between messages. Any help would be great on this... Brad Mc ...

i want excel to show the first tab upon opening, not the second
when i open my spreadsheet, it always opens with the second sheet prominent, rather than the first. how can i change this? Hi, You will need VB for that. Alt+F11 to open VB editor. Double click 'ThisWorkbook' and paste the code below in on the right. For it to work you must enable macros on opening Private Sub Workbook_Open() Application.Goto Sheets(2).Range("A1") End Sub -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question. "robs...

Error in result of transformation when length > 16040 bytes
I have written an XSLT transformation on an ASP.NET page. The resulting HTML is primarily a table of links. I have found that when the resulting HTML is less than or equal to 16040 bytes, the output display is normal, but when the resulting HTML exceeds 16040 bytes, the output does not display correctly. When I look at View Source, I see that the final </html> tag gets moved to another spot in the output, byte by byte as I increase the size, that is, at 16041 bytes, the final > gets moved, at 16042 bytes the final l> get moved, etc. And as the output size increases, more...

Do a two way lookup and get the result in multiple columns
Hi, I have a worksheet with data on store sales: StoreLoc Date Sales$ A 10/28/2005 $100 A 11/04/2005 $150 B 10/28/2005 $200 B 11/04/2005 $250 B 11/11/2005 $300 B 11/18/2005 $350 C 11/04/2005 $300 C 11/11/2005 $350 C 11/18/2005 $400 D 11/11/2005 $400 etc. I wanted to do a two-way lookup on StoreLoc and Date and get the sal...

Showing Percent
I have a column chart showing count on the Y axis and Categories on the X axis. Is there a way to show the percent for each category above each column? I looked at Chart Options - Data Labels and the Show Percent is grayed out. Thanks! Steve Debra, Thank you for the help - it works great! The nice thing about it is that once the add-in is applied to a worksheet, you can copy the workbook to another computer that doesn't have the add-in and the labels will also work there. Steve "Debra Dalgleish" <dsd@contextures.com> wrote in message news:3F19C51C.4060403@contextur...

Mobile adevices not showing up in mobil admin
Several people have used there devices to sync to our exchange 2003 server. The problem is when I use the mobile admin web page I never see any activity under the transaction log. I also get an error when I go to the remote wipe page and try to lookup a user. Any ideas of what might be going on? TIA Josh "Josh" <J o S H@computers.com> wrote: >Several people have used there devices to sync to our exchange 2003 server. >The problem is when I use the mobile admin web page I never see any activity >under the transaction log. Unless you told it to "wipe...

Print not showing on paper when printed
-- To be myself is the most important thing!!! Interesting! Using white ink? No print area assigned? Please provide some details. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 16:26:01 -0700, Citripio <citripio@discussion.microsoft.com> wrote: A couple more.............. Printer cartridge(s) out of ink? Font is colored white and you are printing in color? Gord On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 16:36:54 -0700, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote: >Interesting! > >Using white ink? > >No print area assigned? > >Please provide some details. > > >...

existing accounts not showing up on net worth reports
I have existing accounts set up, Cd's, that i have transfered to new accounts, cd's at another institution. the report for net worth over time fails to show the original cd's after the transfer. How should I have done this diferently? -- DR In microsoft.public.money, DR wrote: >I have existing accounts set up, Cd's, that i have transfered to new >accounts, cd's at another institution. the report for net worth over time >fails to show the original cd's after the transfer. How should I have done >this diferently? Forgetting for the moment how you...

A formula that only shows the number of ex: "A" in a column and
Hi! Can i make a formula that only shows the number of ex: "A" in a column and ignore any hidden rows that result from filtering. Maybe i ca combine =SUBTOTAL(3;P:P) and =COUNTIF($P:$P;"=A") in some way? Regards Gunnar Gunnar, You basically need to reproduce your filtering: =SUMPRODUCT((P1:P10="A")*(B1:B10="B")*(C1:C10="C")*1) HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "Gunnar Sandstr�m" <gunnar.sandstrom@ericsson.com> wrote in message news:c9n09c$hh2$1@newstree.wise.edt.ericsson.se... > Hi! > Can i make a formula that only shows ...

Search results
Is there a way to have the search results box diplay a darker border or shade the box? ...

Sent email show up in Inbox
Hi Why do all my sent emails from Outlook show up in my Inbox. That is reflected in OE and in Windows Live Mail. Thanks Don What does OE have to do with Outlook's Inbox? Where are you sending the mail from (seems like Outlook) but which Inbox is it showing up in? "Don S." <dis933@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ujBcXaWRKHA.4692@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Hi > > Why do all my sent emails from Outlook show up in my Inbox. That is > reflected in OE and in Windows Live Mail. Using a Gmail account via POP3? Perfectly normal then; http://mail.googl...

Need help with showing Totals
I have a clustered cylinder chart. Along the x-axis, I have the average test score per exam per class. For example, in the first cluster I have the average test score for five exams in the Science class. In the second cluster, I have the average test score for five exams in the Mathematics class, etc. For each average test score, I would like to display the total number of students that took the test above each score. In looking through several of the previous answers in this discussion group, I think I need to add a dummy series and plot the total number of students aga...

Re: Account Won't Show Up on Home Page as a Favorite
For some reason this message appears to have been deleted from the server. I'm reposting it. Kevin "Kevin Campbell" <kcampbel@nospam.midmaine.com> wrote in message news:... > I have a Home Equity Line of Credit account that, for some reason, will not > show up on my list of favorite accounts on the Home page in Money 2003. In > the account details I have the Add to Favorites checkbox checked and under > the Favorite Accounts menu item it does show up. Also, when I am in the > account register view and I click on the account name to drop the list of > ac...

Urgent !!!!!
I tape all data and add the font colour, but when i preview file & print , it can't show the colour, why? Could it be that you are previewing a print for a black-and-white printer? Kind regards, Marcel Kreijne Quandan - Steunpunt voor spreadsheetgebruikers (Quandan - dutch supportsite for spreadsheetusers) www.quandan.nl "Eva" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht news:5812EE04-51AB-4AB7-8A80-C9F6994C8B97@microsoft.com... > I tape all data and add the font colour, but when i preview file & print , it can't show the colour, why? See ...

Area Chart showing percentage?
I'm a newbie that created an Area Chart using the Graph Wizard. It's almost what I need, except the Y-axis shows an accumulated count of the values. What I need is to normalized the values so that they represent a percentage. E.g., the total across the X-Axis is always 100% and the chart shows the percentage contribution of each value being plotted. 100--------------------------------- 80___ _________ _ 60 \/ /\ \___/ 40 /\______/ \ __ 20/ \_____/ 0---------------------------------- The SQL generated by the Wizard: TRANSFO...

Contacts Permissions Problem
Hi- I am running OL2003 on WinXP & 2k with Exchange 2k. I have a large public folder of contacts. I can edit all of them. I created a new user, gave her owner permissions on the folder, but she cannot edit many of the contacts. When she opens them, they show as <read only>. Today I was researching this and I found something interesting - some of the records show Outlook Version 10, and others show Outlook Version 11. It turns out that the recs that are version 10 can be edited by the new user, but those that are version 11 can only be opened as read only. I tried to change the ve...

Compare data that do not exactly match
I am in the process of comparing data from (2) different databases to find differences in the same type of data. Example: I have customer names in one system and a customer name in a different system and I need to make a comparison to see if it is the same name. Lets say I have Account # 34234 in both databases/tables and in one of them the account name is Smith, John R and in the other is Smith, John. Since both do not fully match, it could come back in the unmatch query. How would I do this so the query could tell that is close to be the same, compared to account name (1) Smith...

Linking to Max result?
Hi Guys, I dont know where to start with this one! basically on a figures sheet I am displaying a table with lines showing the highest amounts on another sheet based on their category. (=MAX(data!AZ2:AZ65534)) now on this other sheet it has a line for each 'entry', on one of the cells for each 'entry' are the numbers that I'm maxing to give a highest figure. Now what I would love to be able to do, is hyperlink that formula that is showing the highest entry, so that when you click on it it takes to the other sheet and shows you its answer (the entry with the highest amoun...

match one cell for another one that contains it
I'm trying to do a true/false for a cell that contains info from another cell: A1 = auto A2 = automobile This is the closest as I can get: =ISNUMBER(MATCH("A1",E2,0)) I don't know how to do a "contains" function where all of A2 contains part of A1 to set it to True. Thanks in advance for the help! This forum is great! -- krayziez ------------------------------------------------------------------------ krayziez's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=34891 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?thre...

Return column number of matching cell in external range
Cell A1 in open_workbook_1 contains a text string. The same text string will be found somewhere in closed_workbook_1 within the cell range A1:Z100 How can I return to cell A2 in open_workbook_1, the column number of the cell in closed_workbook_2 which contains the text string? Thanks. Nazg�l wrote: > Cell A1 in open_workbook_1 contains a text string. > > The same text string will be found somewhere in closed_workbook_1 > within the cell range A1:Z100 > > How can I return to cell A2 in open_workbook_1, the column number of > the cell in closed_workbook_2 which contain...

show pivot table detail in same cell
I would like to create a report using following sample data in excel ticket , monthly release , application 111-fix login bug , 2006-06 , ABC 112-improve logging , 2006-06 , ABC 113-enhance blah blah , 2006-07 , XYZ 114-fix performance issue , 2006-08 , ABC 115-implement cash app , 2006-08 , XYZ using this data I would like to create following report (application roadmap) i.e. which ticket would be implemented in which monthly release...

Show stdev errorbars on pivot bar chart
I have made a pivot bar chart using excel 2003, and I would like to show error bars on this bar chart. The values for the bars are averages of a certain quantity. The values for the errorbars should be the stdev of this quantity. It is possible to add error bars in the existing chart using "Format data series", but that only works for one particular chart. If I update the underlying data or plot other quantities, then the errorbars are gone. Does anyone know how to solve this problem? Like all custom formatting in pivot charts, refreshing the data clears the formatting. Microsof...

Formatting Result of Custom Function
We are trying to format the result of a custom function. Is this possible. The code below does not do this. Here we are trying to format the letters "cde" in the "test" function below using Macro1 Function test() As String Application.Volatile test = "abcdefgh" End Function Sub Macro1() On Error GoTo iErrors With ActiveCell.Characters(Start:=3, Length:=3).Font .Name = "Calibri" .FontStyle = "Regular" .Size = 11 .Strikethrough = False .Superscript = False .Subscript = False ...

Emails not showing up in Outlook but can be seen on Webmail
I've got several clients saying that in Outlook 2003 and Express its saying they have new email but none of these new emails are in their inboxes. so i told them to log into webmail, and they can see the emails there... all of these clients are using IMAP and could have very large inboxes.. what could be the problem here? why isnt outlook downloading the emails properly? Do they have LAN or WAN access? -- Jonathan No Warrenties Implied, Did you do a FULL backup today?????? "beanfieldtech@gmail.com" wrote: > I've got several clients saying that in Outlook 2003 and E...

showing unread items in public folder
I setup some public folders on my exchange 2003 box. This folder has an email address associated with it, which accepts mail. I noticed in the properties for the folder there is an option to "show number of unread items" or "show number of total items". These two options are greyed out for me. Any idea how to enable these options? thanks! Sean ...