make a Year to date column

Can someone please suggest how I can get the year to day column display
Nothing if there is not anything in the preceding column?

Eg...   Column K is YTD.  Column J is Invoice total.  I figured out how to
hide the zeros in the J column... but can't figure out how to make K show
nothing until there is a figure in J.

Its a simple sheet.  Just adds invoices.. and provides a YTD figure.  But
looks DUMB when the last YTD figure is carried all the way down the column.

Thank you ...

0
morpheseus (17)
4/20/2005 1:16:10 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Try something like this
in say, K2, copied down:
=IF(J2="","","<yourCumuYTDformula>")
--
Rgds
Max
"Nick" <morpheseus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Can someone please suggest how I can get the year to day column display
> Nothing if there is not anything in the preceding column?
>
> Eg...   Column K is YTD.  Column J is Invoice total.  I figured out how to
> hide the zeros in the J column... but can't figure out how to make K show
> nothing until there is a figure in J.
>
> Its a simple sheet.  Just adds invoices.. and provides a YTD figure.  But
> looks DUMB when the last YTD figure is carried all the way down the
column.

> Thank you ...

0
demechanik (4694)
4/20/2005 1:26:50 AM
Tried that but it doesn't work for the column.  I got this:

      82.00  82.00
      441.00  523.00
      210.00  733.00
      109.00  842.00
        842.00
        842.00
        842.00
        842.00
        842.00
        842.00
        842.00
        842.00

I need all those 842.00 to show nothing because there is no entry in the
previous column.

Nick.

"Max" <demechanik@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Try something like this
> in say, K2, copied down:
> =IF(J2="","","<yourCumuYTDformula>")
> --
> Rgds
> Max
> xl 97
> ---
> GMT+8,  1� 22' N  103� 45' E
> xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com
> ----
> "Nick" <morpheseus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Can someone please suggest how I can get the year to day column display
>> Nothing if there is not anything in the preceding column?
>>
>> Eg...   Column K is YTD.  Column J is Invoice total.  I figured out how
>> hide the zeros in the J column... but can't figure out how to make K show
>> nothing until there is a figure in J.
>>
>> Its a simple sheet.  Just adds invoices.. and provides a YTD figure.  But
>> looks DUMB when the last YTD figure is carried all the way down the
> column.
>>
>> Thank you ...

0
morpheseus (17)
4/20/2005 4:31:59 AM
Assume this data is in J2:J5

>       82.00
>       441.00
>       210.00
>       109.00

Put in K2: =IF(J2="","",J2)

Put in K3: =IF(J3="","",SUM(J3,K2))
Copy K3 down

Assuming cells J6, J7, etc are currently empty,
you should get in cols J to K

>       82.00  82.00
>       441.00  523.00
>       210.00  733.00
>       109.00  842.00

(rest of col K will appear "blank")

--
Rgds
Max
> Tried that but it doesn't work for the column.  I got this:
>
>       82.00  82.00
>       441.00  523.00
>       210.00  733.00
>       109.00  842.00
>         842.00
>         842.00
>         842.00
>         842.00
>         842.00
>         842.00
>         842.00
>         842.00
>

> I need all those 842.00 to show nothing because there is no entry in the
> previous column.
>
> Nick

0
demechanik (4694)

Column Headings #11
Can you add seperate column headings (A, B, C, ...) into one spreadsheet? I'm attempting to alter the column sizes half-way through the spreadsheet w/out affecting the upper column sizes... Coolumn width belongs to the entire column and cannot be altered in separate sections of that column. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 15:51:01 -0800, spencer4hire <spencer4hire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Can you add seperate column headings (A, B, C, ...) into one spreadsheet? >I'm attempting to alter the column sizes half-way through the spreadsheet >w/ou...

Text to columns

Date Formatting when Concantenating

Column Reference to External Source As a Variable
Can anyone help me convert the column referenced in the formula below into a variable that the user can define? More specifically, I have several columns that I need to read from an external workbook (Short_Billy.xls). Each column to the right of column C represents an additional day out in a 14 day projection from today (whose data is held in column C). In cell I5 of my active workbook (Inventory.xls), I would like the user to be able to enter a value representing the number of days out they would like to see the projection for (0=today=Column C, 1=Tomorrow=Column D, etc.). In cell I6, I...

Show a date 30 days out
I have a feild that I would like to show what the date would be in 30 days for a feild with a date in it [Sold Date]. Sold Date feild would be 1 Jan 07 so the feild would show 30 Days later 31 Jan 07. I did =[Sold date]+30 and it did not work Thanks how about dateadd: dateadd("d", 30, [Sold Date]) -- steve. "KAnoe" <KAnoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DE9BDDAE-5C84-4A52-8185-DAB6C3167E7A@microsoft.com... >I have a feild that I would like to show what the date would be in 30 days > for a feild with a date in it [Sold Date]. > ...

Dates in fomula showing as whole number

How to make return address labels in Publisher?
Can you do the title above in Publisher? Sure. I've done them in different label sizes. What size labels are you interested in? -- Don Vancouver, USA "Robert" <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:23DBCD56-027A-406F-B9D1-3EF45B8E33C0@microsoft.com... > Can you do the title above in Publisher? Thank you. I use the 2.5" x 1" size. it is a standard Avery Label size. "Don Schmidt" wrote: > Sure. I've done them in different label sizes. What size labels are you > interested in? > > > -- > Don > Van...

Excel 2003 Copy/Paste filtered column
I have a filtered column on my spreadsheet. I have copied the column, changed the figures and then tried to paste it back on to the filtered column. It is not copying over the original filtered column but rather over cells that have been filtered out. The worksheet/cells are not protected. What could the problem be? Kind Regards Heather That's the way pasting works. It'll hit the visible and hidden cells. Heather wrote: > > I have a filtered column on my spreadsheet. I have copied the column, > changed the figures and then tried to paste it back on to the filter...

how to automatically suppress space before after column break?
Having Spacing Before and After on some of the styles, I seem to be unable to have the space before at the beginning of a column automatically dismissed when applying a column break. I have tried a couple of options under compatibility, but to no avail. This in on Word 2003. The No HTML function + No Space Before after column break do not solve the problem. Can you help please? Tools | Options | Compatibility: Suppress Space Before after a hard page or column break. If this isn't working, then check to make sure you don't have an empty paragraph before the first text pa...

matching columns of numbers

date/time formatting

Problem with charting Net income vs Year
Im having some problems with my Excel chart. It will not plot Net Income vs Year. It keeps trying to treat Year as a different data series. It will work if I use text i.e. a1990, a1991, etc. but it refuses to use 1990, 1991... Any Ideas??? Use an "XY (Scatter)" chart, instead of a "Line" chart. Jerry Hunter wrote: > Im having some problems with my Excel chart. It will not plot Net Income vs Year. It keeps trying to treat Year as a different data series. It will work if I use text i.e. a1990, a1991, etc. but it refuses to use 1990, 1991... Any Ideas??? Delete the co...

Count the text in a column
I would like to count the text in a column then for it to add a figure in another cell if it meets the text criteria Thanks! Do you mean count the characters? If so =SUM(NOT(ISNUMBER(A1:A20))*LEN(A1:A20)) as an array formula (committed with Ctrl-Shift-Enter) -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Peter Curtis" <PeterCurtis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:94C093C4-38DC-4989-846A-9352F3298B7C@microsoft.com... > I would like to count the text in a column then for it to add a figure in > another cell if it meets the t...

forms and column lengths
Is there a way to have excel do an auto "carriage return" to the next row when you have reached the specified maximum number of characters in the row above?? Hi there's n o bulit-in feature for this -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Blair" <Blair@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:C1D2CAAD-C4E9-492A-ADF4-CBDB659514A3@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to have excel do an auto "carriage return" to the next row > when you have reached the specified maximum number of characters in the > row > above?? ...

Error trying to make an account default
I have a new computer and my outlook 2003 is not letting me assign a default account to send and receive. I get this error: "The Specicied Account could not be found. It might have been deleted." I have four accounnts setup and have tried removing the accounts and recreating them and still get the error. when the account has been made, it tests fine. None of the four can be made default. Thanks in Advance! ...

Make sales target (quota) invisible for other users
I am setting up a MS CRM system for a pilot which focus primarily on our sales department. I have given each user who's a salesperson given a quota in the CRM system. These numbers are confidential and so not everybody may be given the possibility to view this data. But when I checked with another role, I could see the quota of erverybody who's got quota assigned. Is there a possibility to make these quota's only visible to the persons I want (for example the director can see the quota's of everybody, the salespersons can only see the quota for themselves and the rest o...

Selecting a column with an integer
Sub ColumnSelection() ' Selecting a column with an integer ' Please show me how to eliminate the use of Cells(1, 1) Dim r As Integer Dim c As String Dim numericcolumn As Integer Dim alphabetcolumn As String numericcolumn = 4 ' in practice 4 is the resultant of an equation alphabetcolumn = "=CHAR(" & numericcolumn + 64 & ")" Cells(1, 1) = alphabetcolumn ' I like to eliminate the use of Cells(1, 1) c = Cells(1, 1).Value ' I like to eliminate the use of Cells(1, 1) Cell...